PDA

View Full Version : Ron the control freak!

Juppe
20th January 2007, 14:13
Ok, I think he is going a bit too far now....

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070120140834.shtml

Ron Dennis has banned McLaren's 2007 driver lineup from drinking alcohol.

Despite Ferrari-bound Kimi Raikkonen's supposed alcoholic indiscretions during his tenure in 2002-2006, the Woking based team's chairman suggested that the only sips taken by Lewis Hamilton or world champion Fernando Alonso this year should be champagne on the podium.

After his drivers trained with Olympic athletes in Finland, Dennis told the Mirror: "We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."

The irony of Dennis' stance, however, is that whiskey sponsor Johnnie Walker's McLaren-associated slogan for this year is: "Be a champion. Drink responsibly."

Erki
20th January 2007, 14:19
I think this just shows what a beast Kimi really is - Ron just couldn't control him.

:s mokin:

Juppe
20th January 2007, 14:21
I think this just shows what a beast Kimi really is - Ron just couldn't control him.

:s mokin:

Yeah, but why forbid drinking from Fernando and Lewis? Which one of them has got a problem?
:)

Giuseppe F1
20th January 2007, 15:00
Yeah, but why forbid drinking from Fernando and Lewis? Which one of them has got a problem?
:)

...the one whos gonna have a problem with this is JOHNNIE WALKER! :)

RJL25
20th January 2007, 15:02
as long as a driver is performing on track, fulfilling all of his comercial obligations off track, and is not bringing his team into disrepute through negetive media reports about off track incidents, then i fail to see what a drivers personal life has anything to do with the team.

inimitablestoo
20th January 2007, 15:05
To be fair, McLaren did a pretty good job last year of making sure its drivers didn't have any champagne... ;)

EuroTroll
20th January 2007, 15:13
This truly ridiculous. Apart from anything else, I think it's generally accepted in the medical community that regular moderate consumption of some alcoholic beverages - esp. red wine - improves several bodily functions, most notably the cardio-vascular system, but also brain activity.

odykas
20th January 2007, 15:15
Next step is to ban sex :D

EuroTroll
20th January 2007, 15:20

I think that would make more sense! :) Athletes quite often refrain from having sex before an important competition, in the hope of converting the sexual frustration into positive energy and agressiveness.

tinchote
20th January 2007, 15:40
The irony of Dennis' stance, however, is that whiskey sponsor Johnnie Walker's McLaren-associated slogan for this year is: "Be a champion. Drink responsibly."

:D

Erki
20th January 2007, 15:52
This truly ridiculous. Apart from anything else, I think it's generally accepted in the medical community that regular moderate consumption of some alcoholic beverages - esp. red wine - improves several bodily functions, most notably the cardio-vascular system, but also brain activity.

Isn't it positive only because of .... those berries in it? I don't think alcohol in itself is anything useful for human body.

Erki
20th January 2007, 15:59
I think that would make more sense! :) Athletes quite often refrain from having sex before an important competition, in the hope of converting the sexual frustration into positive energy and agressiveness.

I think this one is more of a matter of knowing when to stop.

Erki
20th January 2007, 15:59

With balloon dolphins?

EuroTroll
20th January 2007, 16:02
Isn't it positive only because of .... those berries in it? I don't think alcohol in itself is anything useful for human body.

Oh, but it is! ;) When consumed very moderately, of course. Yes, grape juice (or eating grapes) doesn't have nearly the kind of beneficial effects red wine has, as far as I know.

Juppe
20th January 2007, 17:14
If I remember correctly Ron Dennis announced recently that McLaren has got an image of being cold and distant and that 2007 it will all change and McLaren will be more approachable and friendlier.

Now he effectively denied any drinking from his two young drivers who do not have any kind of problem with alcohol to my knowledge at least.

Is he merely trying to take a hit at Kimi? Or does he really think that if Fernando or Lewis drank two beers during the season would have any effect on them?

If anything Ron is pissing his drivers off by suggesting that they do not know themselves how to deal with alcohol. And his announcement certainly does not make McLaren friendlier or warmer to the general public.

Hasn't he got any common sense at all?

savage86
20th January 2007, 17:24
There are jokes in the motorsport industry that at Mclaren the scowls are shrink rapped at the factory. To the story than when the new factory was built, someone had attached a phone on the wall slightly wonky. So Ron smashed it off the wall in a fit of rage.

No wounder Newey left, and kimi, and onepablo and everyone else just about.

Nikki Katz
20th January 2007, 18:58
This is stupid. The drivers haven't driven a single race for McLaren and he's already making totally unnecessary and demoralising rules. McLaren has a large budget, so making such rules when their title sponsor makes whiskey is a bit risky!
*that really wasn't meant to rhyme*

VresiBerba
20th January 2007, 19:22
Vodafone does NOT make whiskey. And I'm actually a bit surprised about the reactons over this, what's the big deal, most drivers don't even touch alcohol during the season anyway.

Juppe
20th January 2007, 19:27
Now I found the original text from the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/northernireland/sport/tm_method=full%26objectid=18505779%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

20 January 2007
MOTOR RACING: MCLAREN: BOOZE & YOU LOSE
By Byron Young
FERNANDO ALONSO and Lewis Hamilton have been hit with a drinking ban for the coming season as McLaren go for gold.

New Brit star Hamilton and world champ Alonso provide an exciting line-up for the Woking-based team and have been undergoing winter fitness training in Finland from former Olympic athletes.

But McLaren bosses have warned them to stay clear of the booze - except on the podium.

Team chief Ron Dennis said: "Athletes train under very strict regimes in an attempt to win gold and don't get the rewards Grand Prix drivers generally do.

"We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season." McLaren were unhappy after controversies in the last two years surrounded the drinking antics of Kimi Raikkonen, who has now moved to Ferrari.

Dennis refused to criticise the Finn but, with a £100million title sponsorship deal from Vodafone and unparalleled backing from Mercedes, he and the McLaren hierarchy are determined nothing will prevent them returning to winning ways in 2007.

Vodafone-McClaren have already sent drivers and engineers on a boot camp in Finland to sharpen their reflexes.

New signing Hamilton, 22, said: "It was a great experience.

"We were even shown how to throw a javelin, it was interesting to learn the technical stuff. It was a good team-bonding exercise with engineers and other drivers.

"This is not just about me, it's about the whole team developing and us developing together if we are going to win."

And Alonso, aiming to be the youngest driver to win three successive titles, vowed: "I have only one goal and that is to become champion."

I wonder why the story is written like all the drivers were in Finland for a team bonding exercise, when Fernando in fact was not in Finland, but he had something else to do at the time?

Ian McC
20th January 2007, 19:55
Well you should not drink and drive ;)

Juppe
20th January 2007, 19:59
Vodafone does NOT make whiskey. And I'm actually a bit surprised about the reactons over this, what's the big deal, most drivers don't even touch alcohol during the season anyway.

Could you back up that 'fact'? Where did you learn that most of them are absolutists?

I somehow don't believe that.

But that is besides the point really. Why forbid something that is not a problem in the first place? That is more of an image question than anything else. And Vodafone isn't their only sponsor, you know.

Big Ben
20th January 2007, 20:03
I think the whole story is just a typical extravagance of the English press. However, if true, I think that RD fails to see just how magical alcohol is. Let them have a drink and a s### on the table when ever they want... Perhaps it would have been better if KR had kept his mouth shut... Mclaren gave him seat when he wasn't that much of "proven product" and paid him pretty well... He drove for a top team and had a car that won races. Button had to wait some 100 races and something to win a race and that not because of his special car

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 20:30
Let me see, Ron, did it ever occur to you when Raikkonenn showed up at the race track he ever ONCE had a hangover? If he did, you should have sacked him then and there, but if he was sober and ready to work, then SHUT UP!!!

Ron is a control freak, and it may be why McLaren hasn't done much of late.....you have to hire good people and then let them do their job, not micromanage....

Big Ben
20th January 2007, 20:43
Let me see, Ron, did it ever occur to you when Raikkonenn showed up at the race track he ever ONCE had a hangover? If he did, you should have sacked him then and there, but if he was sober and ready to work, then SHUT UP!!!

Ron is a control freak, and it may be why McLaren hasn't done much of late.....you have to hire good people and then let them do their job, not micromanage....

Yeah, sure... What does he know of F1... teach him some more.

VresiBerba
20th January 2007, 20:58
Could you back up that 'fact'? Where did you learn that most of them are absolutists?
No of course I can't back that up with facts. Even if I knew that Coulthard doesn't drink during the season, how could I possibly prove that to you. But I do know that for instance Kenny Bräck did not touch alcohol during the season, and he thought drinking was very unprofessional and Mattias Ekström doesn't drink at all, and it's my belief that this is not exactly uncommon.

And Vodafone isn't their only sponsor, you know.
No, but they ARE title sponsors, not Johnnie Walker.

ioan
20th January 2007, 21:04

I've told you so! :D

ioan
20th January 2007, 21:13
Perhaps it would have been better if KR had kept his mouth shut... Mclaren gave him seat when he wasn't that much of "proven product" and paid him pretty well... He drove for a top team and had a car that won races. Button had to wait some 100 races and something to win a race and that not because of his special car

Well it is well known that if it wouldn't have been for McLaren, Ferrari wanted to take over KR from Sauber. In fact Kimi could have had a better life than the frustration he got from McLaren!

BenRoethig
20th January 2007, 21:33
McLaren would be better off if DC were to buy Ron out. Of the last few years he's turned a championship into a backmarker.

VresiBerba
20th January 2007, 21:35
Of the last few years he's turned a championship into a backmarker.
:laugh: Good one :up:

Ranger
20th January 2007, 22:17
What rubbish!

What's going to happen on the podium then? (If the cars last to get there) :\

Big Ben
20th January 2007, 22:41
Well it is well known that if it wouldn't have been for McLaren, Ferrari wanted to take over KR from Sauber. In fact Kimi could have had a better life than the frustration he got from McLaren!

Yeah... Right... I'm sure he would have enjoyed to be Schumacher's butler

ShiftingGears
20th January 2007, 22:46
Too much ice cream is also bad for you, lets ban that, drinking too much water is also bad for you...

Control Freak alright!

savage86
20th January 2007, 23:45
Just a thought...
you guys will know this, didnt someone help win lemans while he was drunk?? and they gave him more at the pitstop.

Anyway even if that story wasnt true what was is that James hunt won the championship with Mclaren despite being hung over every race day.

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 00:59
Yeah, sure... What does he know of F1... teach him some more.

EU, my point is Ron Dennis is no longer winning in f1 precisely because he is a micromanager. Whatever great things he accomplished in the past, it is clear he has lost what got him there, because he has no business dictating personal behaviour to his drivers on having a drink. I stand by what I said, if you hire good people, and not let them do their job, they will NOT function as well. What is more, if I drove for him, I would tell him I wouldhave a drink a day and if he didn't like it, he could fire me. Performance behind the wheel and being polite with staff and sponsors should be the only things a driver is judged on.

To Ron Dennis, what his drivers drink is none of his business. If he thinks the guy is a drunk, dump him. Otherwise, go back and figure out how to start winning races again, because if Ron doesn't, Alonso will be looking for a parachute out of this deal....

Hawkmoon
21st January 2007, 02:47
It's an interesting comment from ol' Ron. One that certainly reinforces his rather unique reputation.

Unless it is written into the driver's contracts, I doubt Ron can enforce his no alchohol policy. I also don't think it's Ron's place to try and control his driver's personal lives.

McLaren seem to want to put straight jackets on their drivers and I don't really see why. You only have to look at comments made by Coulthard and Raikkonen after they left the team. Once the McLaren shackles came off they seemed much more inclined to speak their minds.

If McLaren want to brighten up their image then they are going to have to get rid of Ron. McLaren have become, in many ways, an extension of Ron's personality. Getting rid of him would be a big mistake (if it is even possible) as he knows his stuff better than most in the F1 paddock.

The other aspect of Ron's comments is the issue of Johnnie Walker being one of the teams major sponsors. They can't be overly impressed that ol' Ron thinks their product should be avoided.

jso1985
21st January 2007, 05:14
Oh, but it is! ;) When consumed very moderately, of course. Yes, grape juice (or eating grapes) doesn't have nearly the kind of beneficial effects red wine has, as far as I know.

The benefits come from other stuff present in red wine, alcohol itself has no benefits at all for the human body, infact a hangover is a proof of your body recovering from poisoning(a light one of course).
Let's not whine about this, F1 drivers are proffesional athletes and in order to improve the physical shape needed for driving an F1 car fro 60 laps while the temperature is 30c, not drinking alcohol is something they need, so it's not rubish to ban it, it looks silly when they(the team) make it public and make look themselves as control freaks, but trust that I'm quite sure that every F1 team, proffesional football team, etc. ban alcohol from their athletes at least 48 hours before the event.
I'm not against alcohol, in fact I consume it quite often, but when you choose a certain career you ahve to give up on certain things, and when choosing to be a professional athlete giving up alcohol is one of them.
I don't recall M.Schumacher, Hakkinen or Hill being boozers

janneppi
21st January 2007, 08:42
Now I found the original text from the Mirror:

I wonder why the story is written like all the drivers were in Finland for a team bonding exercise, when Fernando in fact was not in Finland, but he had something else to do at the time?
I was going to post about it just now after reading Turun Sanomat story about it.
Some sources say they got a ride with Latvala in his rally car, that would have scared the bejebus out of them. :)

Big Ben
21st January 2007, 10:57
EU, my point is Ron Dennis is no longer winning in f1 precisely because he is a micromanager. Whatever great things he accomplished in the past, it is clear he has lost what got him there, because he has no business dictating personal behaviour to his drivers on having a drink. I stand by what I said, if you hire good people, and not let them do their job, they will NOT function as well. What is more, if I drove for him, I would tell him I wouldhave a drink a day and if he didn't like it, he could fire me. Performance behind the wheel and being polite with staff and sponsors should be the only things a driver is judged on.

To Ron Dennis, what his drivers drink is none of his business. If he thinks the guy is a drunk, dump him. Otherwise, go back and figure out how to start winning races again, because if Ron doesn't, Alonso will be looking for a parachute out of this deal....

I have my doubts.... I don't think he became a control freak in time... I think he was always like that.... and that made him so successful... And even though he they had some difficult years... they remained a top team...

Juppe
21st January 2007, 13:59
I don't always agree with Pitpass, but this time they hit the nail on the head.

I wonder, if Ron really said those things, or is this another tabloid 'truth'...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=30363

Ron lays down the law

20/01/2007

Clearly feeling that Kimi Raikkonen's off-track escapades damaged his World Championship chances - though the Finn is sure to have his own view on the matter - Ron Dennis has warned his drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton to lay off the booze.

As his drivers prepare for a three-day private test at Valencia, complimenting their on-track testing with a rigorous winter training programme in Finland (!), Dennis told the Daily Mirror: "Athletes train under very strict regimes in an attempt to win gold and don't get the rewards Grand Prix drivers generally do.

"We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season," he added.

It is true that during his time with the team Kimi Raikkonen was involved in a couple of incidents, one of them resulting in a warning from Dennis which is believed to have permanently soured the relationship between the two men. However, it would be wholly wrong to blame the Finn's off-track antics for his failure to win the World Championship, the blame for that lays firmly at the door of McLaren-Mercedes.

Furthermore, it seems somewhat hypocritical for Dennis to be laying down the law regarding the demon booze when his cars - and drivers - are festooned with logos belonging to Johnnie Walker, the Scotch whisky brand owned by Diageo.

At a time when Dennis is seeking a new, more youthful, image for his team, admitting that research has revealed that some people find McLaren to be "cold, not particularly user-friendly and slightly aloof", it might be an idea to cut his drivers a little slack, after all, they are human and not automatons.

It's also worth noting that in a couple of public appearances with Ferrari, Raikkonen has appeared more verbose than at any time during his stint with the Woking team.

Tazio
21st January 2007, 14:26
I have a slightly different take on this development!
I believe what Ron meant was;
"You drivers are not to exhibit public drunkenness, or even excessive alcohol consumption"
(after all it is hard to distinguish between a virgin cocktail and the real "guacamole")
“I’ll (Ron} report it is policy that our drivers are forbidden to drink!”
This is partly a (not so) backhanded insult at Kimi, and his perceived need to be image conscious in this arena.
I call that false pride!
If he was really serious about alcohols effect on team perfomance and not just team image, he would include the mechanics in this prohibition! After all their job performance impacts directly on race outcomes! Especially on race day when they man the pits! These players don't get the media "face time" the drivers do. They would have to do something extraordinarily stupid to even get any publicity in this arena, and thus tarnishing the McLaren name
This puritanical posture could only come from a self righteous control freak like Ron
I disregard this non-binding resolution.
It is pathetic

andreag
21st January 2007, 18:01
There has been too much noise on this matter.

Does anybody knows (specially Ron) that Fernando Alonso doesn't drink alcohol (except after winning a race), even not a single beer?

Maybe Lewis Hamilton had share some pints with his friends (as a british, it makes some sense), but I'm sure this has never been a problem for his driving skills, or for his public image.

Those days without races, are horrible, aren't they?

Erki
21st January 2007, 18:36
I was going to post about it just now after reading Turun Sanomat story about it.
Some sources say they got a ride with Latvala in his rally car, that would have scared the bejebus out of them. :)

Which Latvala do you mean? If it's the younger one, they *had* to be scared. :)

Ian McC
21st January 2007, 19:27
This looks like one of those articles where a sentence is taken out of context.

VresiBerba
21st January 2007, 21:08
It's an interesting comment from ol' Ron. One that certainly reinforces his rather unique reputation.
Exactly what comment are you referring to, this one: "We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."? So what's so unique about it?

I don't understand what the big fuzz is about telling your drivers what or not to do. It isn't exactly unheard of, you know. Sweden Bans Players for Being Late (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sweden-Bans-Players-for-Being-Late-34710.shtml)

Juppe
21st January 2007, 21:19
Exactly what comment are you referring to, this one: "We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."? So what's so unique about it?

I don't understand what the big fuzz is about telling your drivers what or not to do. It isn't exactly unheard of, you know. Sweden Bans Players for Being Late (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sweden-Bans-Players-for-Being-Late-34710.shtml)

Your example is quite different - the players were on a training camp for heavens sake! And still it was ok to go out and have a few drinks, but they showed up later than agreed!

It is very different from saying your drivers that you should not drink alcohol at all - ever.

But that is very much not the point. The real question is: why did Ron raise the subject publicly, if it is not a problem? And even if it is a problem, why not talk about it with your drivers in private?

I'm still not sure, if Ron has really said it like it was written in papers, because it sounds too ridiculous thing to say - even for Ron. :)

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 21:19
Ya and look how well it worked out for Sweden!!

People who employ you should do so knowing you are a professional. If they don't like your hobbies or lifestyle, then they shouldn't not emply you. It is THAT simple. Ron hired the two of them to drive for him, so he should restrict his worries to putting the car under them that can win. If they are not fit or hungover, then he should say something. Otherwise...they are adults, let them live their lives.

None of you would let your boss dictate your lifestyle to the extent you couldn't enjoy a drink now and then.

VresiBerba
21st January 2007, 21:53
Your example is quite different - the players were on a training camp for heavens sake! And still it was ok to go out and have a few drinks, but they showed up later than agreed!

It is very different from saying your drivers that you should not drink alcohol at all - ever.
Ok, there's obviously a slight problem whith you understanding what I'm trying to say here. Let's first assume that Ron actually SAID that his drivers are prohibited from drinking alcohol, it's not ever, it's supposedly during the season, which is somewhat comparable to "being on a training camp" which in my example wasn't a "training camp" at all, but a few days before an important qualifying match.

The point here is that a coach, trainer, manager, owner, employer is not unique when telling a driver, player or whatever what to do. In this particular case, three players was told not to do, the details and aftermath are only of academic importance.

VresiBerba
21st January 2007, 21:55
Ya and look how well it worked out for Sweden!!
Well they won both matches without those three players, what more do you ask :D

Juppe
21st January 2007, 22:09
Ok, there's obviously a slight problem whith you understanding what I'm trying to say here. Let's first assume that Ron actually SAID that his drivers are prohibited from drinking alcohol, it's not ever, it's supposedly during the season, which is somewhat comparable to "being on a training camp" which in my example wasn't a "training camp" at all, but a few days before an important qualifying match.

The point here is that a coach, trainer, manager, owner, employer is not unique when telling a driver, player or whatever what to do. In this particular case, three players was told not to do, the details and aftermath are only of academic importance.

I quite clearly understand what you say - I just don't agree with you, that's all.

The season lasts about 8 months, so that is a better part of the year and not really comparable to a training camp. The drivers actually train harder between the seasons, because of the simple fact that they have more time to train than during the season. So that could actually be considerd their "training camp".

Would you consider it fair, if your boss told you not to drink during the working year and limit it to your summer holiday? You wouldn't have any problem with that at all?

VresiBerba
21st January 2007, 22:22
I quite clearly understand what you say - I just don't agree with you, that's all.
What is it you do not agree with, this being somewhat common practice or at least not unheard of in the sports arena, or that it's just fine to make such demands?

Would you consider it fair, if your boss told you not to drink during the working year and limit it to your summer holiday? You wouldn't have any problem with that at all?
Well, this has nothing to do with something being fair or anything about me. But let me answer your question; I haven't got the slightest clue. If my job was to test-sleep beds, I can't see why I could not play Nintendo on Saturdays, but if my job was to drive cars, I could very well understand if I was told not to drink alcohol, especially if my job included PR comitments, keeping a certain profile, known to the entire world and was a very public figure and had an annual salary which could buy a small country.

Juppe
21st January 2007, 22:49
What is it you do not agree with, this being somewhat common practice or at least not unheard of in the sports arena, or that it's just fine to make such demands?

I don't think it is a common practice to recuire such a thing from your employer and nor it should be. I can recall religious communities prohibiting drinking altogether, but can not name one single company that has done so.

Well, this has nothing to do with something being fair or anything about me. But let me answer your question; I haven't got the slightest clue. If my job was to test-sleep beds, I can't see why I could not play Nintendo on Saturdays, but if my job was to drive cars, I could very well understand if I was told not to drink alcohol, especially if my job included PR comitments, keeping a certain profile, known to the entire world and was a very public figure and had an annual salary which could buy a small country.

Then there is a difference between me and you. If my boss told me I couldn't have a cold beer after sauna on Saturday night, I'd say screw you and do something else.

Paying a lot of money for work does not make your employer own you, if you do not agree to that. I wouldn't.

VresiBerba
21st January 2007, 23:19
I don't think it is a common practice to recuire such a thing from your employer and nor it should be. I can recall religious communities prohibiting drinking altogether, but can not name one single company that has done so.
But this has just not only to do with what kind of ban you issue, but also the very ban itself. You seem torn between them both, one being told what to do in the first place, which is not uncommon considering Sven Göran Eriksson's sex-ban for the English soccer team, and Dennis' approach on banning alcohol consumption during the season, which considering his employees profession is quite understanding.

You're sure this has nothing to do with a certain compatriot of yours being a former employee of Dennis?

Paying a lot of money for work does not make your employer own you, if you do not agree to that. I wouldn't.
Well to be perfectly honest and providing this story is true, both Alonso and Hamilton are most likely more than free to either drink or drive. In the end, it's their choice, and I know even before spending a second thought about it what either driver would prefere. And that's really the end of it; if you like your job and are told not to do something, then don't do it. It's just as simple as that. Nothing outrageous at all really.

Roamy
22nd January 2007, 04:32
But what are we really brewing here. Robotic drivers. Where is the piazzaz. Where are the personalities of the drivers. Who is the next outspoken one. Maybe we don't even have one now. In the present driver line up where is the Gilles, the Prost. the Senna the Mansell the Jacques the Montoya

Erki
22nd January 2007, 05:31
I already see Fred and Lewis getting gazillion of invitations to those Red Bull parties... http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/r8dno1/aok/hand/00.gif

Roamy
22nd January 2007, 05:51
Ron Dennis is about as exciting as watching paint dry.. It is so amazing that guys like him and gaysiessn can run f1 teams. Goddam where is the excitement.

Juppe
22nd January 2007, 07:12

You're sure this has nothing to do with a certain compatriot of yours being a former employee of Dennis?

If it has, why to take it out on Fernando and Lewis? Why did he not impose such an order when he seemingly had a problem with it, but now when he doesn't (I know that Fernando doesn't drink very much, however I'm starting to suspect that Lewis does).

Or does he want to give an idea that last season he had drivers, who he could not control, but this seson he has got two lapdogs and he can just yank their leash whenever he feels like it?

Well to be perfectly honest and providing this story is true, both Alonso and Hamilton are most likely more than free to either drink or drive. In the end, it's their choice, and I know even before spending a second thought about it what either driver would prefere. And that's really the end of it; if you like your job and are told not to do something, then don't do it. It's just as simple as that. Nothing outrageous at all really.

I still give it a reasonable doubt that Ron didn't exactly say, what we read him saying, but if he did...

I don't think Ron has got the right to dictate the personal lifes of his drivers. That is unless it says so in their contract. What is more important, I don't think it would be a very wise to do so.

Firstly, he encourages the idea that he is actually the control freak many believe him to be and that McLaren is as cold and distant as people think it is. A little while ago Ron said that he wants bring fun back to the sport and make McLaren friendlier. I don't think he is taking steps to the right direction.

Secondly, let us assume that Lewis (for example) enjoys his Guinnes every now and then. Perfectly normal, nothing unhealthy about it, doesn't affect his life at all... but then uncle-Ron says he shouldn't. Would that be a good thing for his morals?

I think we just have a very different view on what employers can or cannot tell their employees. It is not like Fernando or Lewis wouldn't have any other options, if they felt that Ron is a bit too tight lipped to their liking.

ArrowsFA1
22nd January 2007, 09:05
This looks like one of those articles where a sentence is taken out of context.
:up:

Ron is quoted as saying "We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."

Rather different to F1Live's headline.

For all we know Ron could have gone on to say "...but it they want to that's up to them."

Mark
22nd January 2007, 09:34
Drinking in general makes you fat and destroys your fitness. It's just the same as asking them not to eat Kentucy Fried Chicken.

Rudy Tamasz
22nd January 2007, 09:58
Don't drink and drive. Smoke and fly. Is that what's needed for a F1 driver?

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2007, 10:11
It is really simple. If you own a team, and you think the guy is not able to drink and perform or not embarass your team, DONT HIRE HIM!

If you hire a driver, you have NO right to tell him how to live his life. If the driver is smart, he will be fit, sharp and ready to race.

The last thing I would want is to have Ron Dennis tell me what to drink. Understand that I drink maybe a 2 beer in a week. That said, if my boss ever said that to me, I would tell him to mind his own business. I don't care what I am being paid, there are some things he should be wise about. What is next, tell Lewis he shouldn't be out with women all night either? I got news for ya, it is the CHASING of women that tires out a man, not a beer with his mates!!

Ron will just have to learn to hire robots that he can cultivate in his own image. Now we know why he didn't hire Eddie Irvine!!!!!

Mark
22nd January 2007, 10:12
It is really simple. If you own a team, and you think the guy is not able to drink and perform or not embarass your team, DONT HIRE HIM!

If you want to drive for McLaren and have a problem being told not to drink. DON'T DRIVE FOR McLAREN.

Really, it's Ron's team and he can do what he likes.

AJP
22nd January 2007, 10:29
If you want to drive for McLaren and have a problem being told not to drink. DON'T DRIVE FOR McLAREN.

Really, it's Ron's team and he can do what he likes.
agreed....

Narr
22nd January 2007, 14:11
There is nowhere in that statement where Ron is quoted as saying the drivers are banned from drinking alcohol; only that Ron doesn't think they should need to drink it.

Typical media placing a headline against a non existant news item.

Juppe
22nd January 2007, 15:24
There is nowhere in that statement where Ron is quoted as saying the drivers are banned from drinking alcohol; only that Ron doesn't think they should need to drink it.

Typical media placing a headline against a non existant news item.

While I admit that my long term dislike for Ron Dennis clouds my judgement in all things considering his actions, it would be nice if he came out and actually explained what he meant.

Many papers have printed the story, so somebody is bound to ask him about this - I hope he actually answers and doesn't hide behind the Ronspeak.

ArrowsFA1
22nd January 2007, 15:33
But why should he? He hasn't been quoted as saying what some here are suggesting he said, so why should he be expected to explain something that he hasn't said :confused: :crazy:

guernsey kau
22nd January 2007, 15:37
as long as a driver is performing on track, fulfilling all of his comercial obligations off track, and is not bringing his team into disrepute through negetive media reports about off track incidents, then i fail to see what a drivers personal life has anything to do with the team.

Well said. I totally agree. F1 is way too over-controlled already.

Juppe
22nd January 2007, 15:43
But why should he? He hasn't been quoted as saying what some here are suggesting he said, so why should he be expected to explain something that he hasn't said :confused: :crazy:

Well as far as I know the orginal story said: "FERNANDO ALONSO and Lewis Hamilton have been hit with a drinking ban for the coming season as McLaren go for gold."

and Ron quoted: "We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."

If somebody asks Ron about the subject, he can always refuse to answer the question. It is his right and nobody can force him.

...Which will obviously take McLaren one step further on their way to become a happier, warmer and more approachable team. :)

Big Ben
22nd January 2007, 19:12
Well as far as I know the orginal story said: "FERNANDO ALONSO and Lewis Hamilton have been hit with a drinking ban for the coming season as McLaren go for gold."

and Ron quoted: "We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."

If somebody asks Ron about the subject, he can always refuse to answer the question. It is his right and nobody can force him.

...Which will obviously take McLaren one step further on their way to become a happier, warmer and more approachable team. :)

Target: Happier, warmer and more approachable
Mean: Alcohol
I see what you r saying Juppe. Unfortunately RD doesn´t see Mclaren as a whore.
I hope this is not a typical Finnish solution. I have great respect for The Finnish people.
I don´t see why drivers need to have a drink in the course of a season... and I'd might add... for the last of their life... I can live without it.

Juppe
22nd January 2007, 19:22
Target: Happier, warmer and more approachable
Mean: Alcohol
I see what you r saying Juppe. Unfortunately RD doesn´t see Mclaren as a whore.
I hope this is not a typical Finnish solution. I have great respect for The Finnish people.
I don´t see why drivers need to have a drink in the course of a season... and I'd might add... for the last of their life... I can live without it.

Gee dude!!! Lighten up!!!

Its an off-season for crying out loud!

I don't see what you see I'm saying.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

.... a whore? What the hell are going on about?

jso1985
22nd January 2007, 20:52
Don't compare your job to the one a proffesional athlete has.
many of you say that as long the drivers delivers the personal life shouldn't be something the team should worry about, but again take count alcohol makes you fat and most of all gives your poor physical shape, so in this case the team is right to put limits in their personal life.
The only stupid thing RD did is to make it public, I really doubt any F1 team allows their drivers to be boozers

XR8
23rd January 2007, 09:46
Hey JSO! I had 20 schooners last sat night! YEs I was drunk! But I did not and have not put on any weight in the last ten years, and I weigh 75 kilos, drink every night and still race karts and can compete at the front.
So alchahol taken moderatelly does not hurt any one. GO KIMMY!

Erki
23rd January 2007, 10:07
You don't get "drunk" if you drink moderately. And hell, how much is moderately? 20 schooners? I thought it was a glass of wine with dinner but what do I know... :s

cosmicpanda
23rd January 2007, 10:17
alcohol has a high energy content. It wouldn't make you any fatter than, say, eating twenty hotdogs would, I suppose. :p :

ottostreet
23rd January 2007, 10:23
there are two sides to the argument i think. looking at it from rons side of it, you can agree with him, since alcohol and formula 1 do not mix. the driver needs to be alert, sharp and friendly for all pr commitments, and in general, has to live by the corporate image that mclaren will cultivate in him, so yes, ron is right to REQUEST that drivers don't drink, as long as the drivers can fulfil these requirements and, of course, the driving itself. however, from the other side of it, the drivers are paid to do a job, and that is to drive, and do their PR hours etc etc. as long as the drivers fulfil all their duties in an appropriate manner (appropriate for ron), then i can't see how he can request this of his drivers. unless this stipulation was written into their contracts, then ron cannot insist his drivers adhere to this. so, if the drivers are happy with the situation either way, then fair enough. if however, they have signed a contract which says nothing about this, and then he just says "my drivers are not going to drink this year", then they have every right to be cross. after all, your own boss cannot add on stipulations for your job after you've signed a contract, unless you reach a gentlemans agreement.

jens
23rd January 2007, 15:50
Despite Ferrari-bound Kimi Raikkonen's supposed alcoholic indiscretions during his tenure in 2002-2006, the Woking based team's chairman suggested that the only sips taken by Lewis Hamilton or world champion Fernando Alonso this year should be champagne on the podium.

Maybe it's Ron's secret weapon to motivate the drivers. Now they know: if you want to drink, finish on the podium! :D And there Alonso/Hamilton (or both) take all the champagnes away from others and drink to the bottom straightaway. It'll be fun to see them at the press conference. :D If they are lucky enough to even get there...

Grand Prix. 5 laps to go. Hamilton is 3rd and engine starts smoking. "Damn ****, WHY??? I just wanted to drink, nothing more!!"

dj_bytedisaster
24th January 2007, 06:15
Innit cool how long we can amuse ourselves with - well banalities - during the off season? Typical Ron Dennis, but does anybody really think Hamilton will give a flying expletive about what Mr. D said pre-season after sweeping the first three races and ending up in a bathtub with 10 neekid women in the post race party :p

wmcot
25th January 2007, 05:55
I don't drink and my brother died from alcoholism, but I think RD is way out of line. He's saying that drinking (even in moderation) affects his drivers' performance, but has no problem taking money from Diageo (Johnny Walker) to run his team! - Sounds like the definition of a hypocrite to me!!!

p.s - I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the regulation haircuts in reference to RD being a control freak!!

Roamy
25th January 2007, 06:18
good deal - now get some crack and some great pitbabes to make our year

ArrowsFA1
25th January 2007, 08:21
I think RD is way out of line. He's saying that drinking (even in moderation) affects his drivers' performance, but has no problem taking money from Diageo (Johnny Walker) to run his team! - Sounds like the definition of a hypocrite to me!!!
What he is quoted as saying is
"We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."
That's rather different to the words being attributed to him.

Hawkmoon
25th January 2007, 08:28
What he is quoted as saying is
That's rather different to the words being attributed to him.

But Arrows, why make the statement at all? The statement sounds very much like having even one drink may be detrimental to a driver and that McLaren would rather their drivers abstain.

It's an even stranger statement coming from a team with a drink maker as a sponsor. :confused:

ArrowsFA1
25th January 2007, 08:35
But Arrows, why make the statement at all?
I assume he was asked a question on the subject, no more than that. He could have declined to answer of course, but a headline would have been written one way or another.

Way too much is being read into what he's quoted as saying.

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 08:46
Well, it is a classic case of freedom of the individual being debated and controlled by an employer. Just, in this case, the job is driving an f1 car.

RD is within his rights to ask up front for his drivers not to drink, but lets face it, he sounds rather silly doesn't he??

I suspect he didn't tell any such nonsense to somoene like Alain Prost, who despite his great devotion to eating right and living right, I would imagine had a glass of wine every now and then.

RD just spouts this crap, and he thinks he can say it because he is an f1 owner, but the thing is, I stand by what I said. If he thought these guys drank too much, then he shouldn't have hired them. If they drink too much, they wouldn't be in f1, and if they agreed to his ban, there is nothing to stop them having a drink or two at home. Rather they drank in public, where everyone knows what they are doing than at home where you have no idea. Not that these guys will abuse it anyhow. They are physical specimens after all with an f1 job. The day's of playboy f1 drivers pretty much was dead, Eddie Irvine excepted...

agwiii
25th January 2007, 15:58
Ok, I think he is going a bit too far now....

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070120140834.shtml

Very interesting.