PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Newcomer

Sparky22
20th April 2008, 18:56
Hi,

I a 23 year old guy living in Sheffield (UK) who wants to get into motorsport. My interest is in cars (open to pretty much any type of motorsport using cars) and would be focused on the technical side rather than driving.

I dont have the money or support to start up something on my own so would really like some advice on how i could get involved.
I thought my best bet would be with an amature team looking for an extra pair of hands, but im not sure if any teams would be open to such an offer. Im not a trained mechanic and, although Im very smart and have good knowledge of how engines and vehicle components function, I dont have any hands on experience beyond servicing my Peugeot 106 and replacing the radiator (Id be hoping to learn alot more through working in a race team).
Additionally, I dont really know how to contact any amature teams (besides using forums like this).

Any advice on how I could get started would be great or if you are a team looking for someone like me then let me know.

Cheers!

Daniel
20th April 2008, 19:00
Get down to your local track or motor club and ask around :)

Zico
20th April 2008, 21:05
If you want a career on the more technical side of racing other than just being a competant mechanic I think you will probably need further education in motorsport engineering at college or Uni...and some help with contacts as described on this helpful thread (Hope the mods dont mind ?) http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102009

Meanwhile I'd do as Daniel suggests until you find your niche in racing, rallying or whatever.

Good luck.. :)

Azumanga Davo
21st April 2008, 15:13
I happened to get involved because the driver of the team was looking for someone to lend a hand. You would be surprised how difficult it normally is for motorsport teams who are "amateur" in status to get willing people to help out in exchange for a free lunch.

I spotted the ad concerned in the local website forum for that associated sport, so a good start is to have a hunt around online on the forum that covers local motorsport. It has pros and cons of course, a pro would be that if you happen to be shy and do struggle to ask people face to face, this is the best method. A con is that this method does limit the scope depending on who is online, but it's always a start.

Asking people on the day may work as well, but that of course would yield less response as they may have already have plans for that particular event.

Online first, round the events second is my recommended method, and good luck. :)

MrJan
21st April 2008, 21:16
Can't hurt going to your local motor club and seeing who is after a hand. People will always be grateful if you just offer them help, even if it only begins with changing wheels or being an extra pair of hands. Don't expect any money and don't expect it to be fun all the time, it's often cold, wet and worst of all early.

If you haven't already done it I'd suggest getting to a few local events and just having a wander around the paddock, even if you don't feel like asking someone if they want help it's useful to see what goes on around the paddock, that's if you haven't already done this :)