PDA

View Full Version : Danica Wins !!!!

ChicagocrewIRL
20th April 2008, 05:06
and I picked her on Pickems to win Motegi !!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOO !!!!!

IWUTitan90
20th April 2008, 05:08
Outstanding! :up:

fugariracing
20th April 2008, 05:11
great job of conserving fuel, that is her forte. however, i can't help but feel how much the champcar-istas will make an effort to downplay this because, A) it isn't televised live, B) it didn't include the full field, and C) was won on fuel-mileage. how the media takes this will be very interesting to watch.

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 05:15
rigged :p :

but typical she can't do it the real way of beating them far and square, but a win is a win.

now its time for the Media field day and all hail Danica who is the worlds greatest driver

guess the IRL finally had to give her the win so should wouldn't look bad since Rahal won in his first career start :p :

xtlm
20th April 2008, 05:17
argh, i left at lap 110 to go to some party

cant believe i misssssssssssed it blargh

turned the tv on at the party, and i saw her going around the track in the honda car with a upclose frame on her face...

my freakin jaw dropped.

ChicagocrewIRL
20th April 2008, 05:19

well she finally done it even with all the assits she gets.

guess the IRL finally had to give her the win so should wouldn't look bad since Rahal won in his first career start :p :

and there were more shooters on the grassy knoll... :)

CONGRATS DANICA you really deserve it !!!

tbyars
20th April 2008, 05:30

but typical she can't do it the real way of beating them far and square, but a win is a win.

now its time for the Media field day and all hail Danica who is the worlds greatest driver

What, do you keep thinking of insults to throw?

That's about the third version of this post, each one more insulting than the last.

At least your 10 minutes will be up soon.

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 05:38
hey, I said a wins a win, congrats to her.

but you know the Media is gonna have a field day on this one.

garyshell
20th April 2008, 05:42
The pass on Helio was amazing. He was obviously conserving fuel and she just as obviously had been doing so long enough that she didn't have to any longer. It looked like he was standing still. I am not a big Danica fan, but hats off to her, I am VERY glad to see her get a win.

And to all the "haters, deniers", what ever you want to call 'em, who moan it was a fuel win I only have this to say: so freakin' what, that is as much a part of racing as any other aspect. In any race where there is refueling involved there always has and always will be a strategy surrounding it. Racing is a chess match in which strategy is as important as a heavy right foot, probably more important. Probably, ah hell no, it IS more important. A win is a win. Congratulations Danica.

Gary

OWFan19
20th April 2008, 05:43
When Helio moved over at the end. I was shocked.

NASCAR media will have a hay day with this one.

garyshell
20th April 2008, 05:47
hey, I said a wins a win, congrats to her.

but you know the Media is gonna have a field day on this one.

Sure you did, while preceding it with this SLAM:

but typical she can't do it the real way of beating them far and square,

Ever hear the term: To damn someone with faint praise?

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/damn+with+faint+praise

Yours was a classic example. Don't try to backpedal, you said what you said. And it stunk.

Gary

garyshell
20th April 2008, 05:48
When Helio moved over at the end. I was shocked.

NASCAR media will have a hay day with this one.

I don't think he moved over, she went on the outside of him. I think he was too much into conservation mode.

Gary

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 05:51
And to all the "haters, deniers", what ever you want to call 'em, who moan it was a fuel win I only have this to say: so freakin' what, that is as much a part of racing as any other aspect.

I know, its 2 straight major races that ended on fuel stradegy and both had my 2 least favorite drivers win :p : so you can see, not everyone is a Danica and jimmie Johnson fan. Fuel wins happen all the time, no denyin that, a win is a win, she earned it. although I showed my apprieciation to the sport that you don't have to love every damn driver in the world, I lost all respect for here when she went on doing the sleezy SI issues. still needs to grow up and race and leave modelin behind

OWFan19
20th April 2008, 05:52
I don't think he moved over, she went on the outside of him. I think he was too much into conservation mode.

Gary

I dont know, he conserved the whole time, even the team said he could go all the way. Christ, I am even suprised that Ed ran out, and before that I was suprised that he could have won. I wish I could have seen her beat these guys without everyone piting for fuel. You knew this is how she would have won, it couldnt have been writen any better. Strategy is strategy, but with teams in Long Beach, I would say the stars were alligned.

NickFalzone
20th April 2008, 05:55
I had to watch on IndyCar.com because I don't have ESPN Classic, but when I heard the IMS announcers bring up her fuel strategy with 40 laps to go I realized she had a great chance to win. I guess you could say there's a small * since it wasn't the full 26 car field, but still she ran a great race and a deserving win.

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 05:56
Sure you did, while preceding it with this SLAM:

also fail to see the smilie as a joke :rolleyes:

NickFalzone
20th April 2008, 05:59
I also had Danica as the winner in my Pick-ems, and Dixon in 3rd.

Alexamateo
20th April 2008, 06:00
Congratulations Danica! :D

My four year old daughter will be very happy when I tell her tomorrow :) :up:

ChicagocrewIRL
20th April 2008, 06:14
Helio didnt want to run out of fuel by trying to race her. He preserved the points lead by lifting and finishing second, rather than try and race her and run out of fuel and finishing out of the points. Pretty cut and dried to me. So much for conspiracy theories.

She took care of her car in some weird windy cold conditions and put herself in a position to win at the end and it paid off for her.

NO ONE can diminish the huge accomplishment that this is for her and her team.

All the Danica haters can go home now.

ChicagocrewIRL
20th April 2008, 06:20
I also had Danica as the winner in my Pick-ems, and Dixon in 3rd.

Motegi Results............My pickems
1. D Patrick...............1. D. Patrick
2. H Castroneves........2. H Castroneves
3. S Dixon.................3. H Mutoh
4. D Wheldon.............4. D Wheldon
5. T Kanaan...............5. E Carpenter
6. E Carpenter............6. R Briscoe
7. R Hunter Reay.........7. T Kanaan
8. Darren Manning........8. S Dixon

I think I did pretty good huh ?? :)

OWFan19
20th April 2008, 06:21
Helio didnt want to run out of fuel by trying to race her. He preserved the points lead by lifting and finishing second, rather than try and race her and run out of fuel and finishing out of the points. Pretty cut and dried to me. So much for conspiracy theories.

She took care of her car in some weird windy cold conditions and put herself in a position to win at the end and it paid off for her.

Ed almost won. I hardly chalk this up as a solid drive by Danica. Most of the cars ran out of fuel, she was very lucky. She won, great. Now do it again and really prove us wrong. What happened with Helio is easily debatable, sorry thats not cut and dry.

CARTDM15
20th April 2008, 06:22
Congrats to Danica

Win is a win any way you get it except when Mario Dominguez won at Surfers.

Mediocre drivers win races sometime.

Now that she has won does that mean we still have to get Danica updates every two laps form the ABC crew? Enough is enough.I'm afraid its only going to get worse.

ezhop7
20th April 2008, 06:26
From a business /marketing point of view it is great that both Graham Rahl and Danica Patrick have both visited victory lane. If TG and the Indy marketing staff have any wits about them I would have Honda and every other IRL sponsor marketing these two driver because you'll attract a lot of female fans.. and the Rahal name is a name that people associate with open wheel racing. In fact, I know Eddie Gossage at TMS will probably have a billboard showing Danica dueling with the boys in six shooter pistols. I know it will take time but the ball is in the IRL marketing camp to bill up the drama leading to Indy.

I hope the guys at Long Beach keep the drama going tommorrow ...actually a win by Paul Tracy would help to get him a Indy ride. Just my two cents!!!

CARTDM15
20th April 2008, 06:28

I'm no hater.One win doesn't prove she is more than average.With AGR/Penske/ & TCGR winning all the races for the last three years she was going to win eventually.

OWFan19
20th April 2008, 06:33
Congrats to Danica

Win is a win any way you get it except when Mario Dominguez won at Surfers.

Mediocre drivers win races sometime.

Now that she has won does that mean we still have to get Danica updates every two laps form the ABC crew? Enough is enough.I'm afraid its only going to get worse.
That is exactly how I feel. Its not that I hate her, although I have little respect for her, I just fear what will happen after she wins. Now it will be again 100% Danica. It wasnt a dominating victory by any means, but now she will be a superstar. I agree, its going to get worse. Alienating more deserving drivers will become the norm. I cant imagine how bad it will be.

Alexamateo
20th April 2008, 06:36
Ed almost won. I hardly chalk this up as a solid drive by Danica. Most of the cars ran out of fuel, she was very lucky. She won, great. Now do it again and really prove us wrong. What happened with Helio is easily debatable, sorry thats not cut and dry.

OWfan, FWIW, the radio guys called this with about 50 laps to go, it was evident in the lap times that she was running lean from the re-start, and that Helio didn't lean it out until about 15 to go. They had her full rich for the last few laps and it showed.

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 06:50
That is exactly how I feel. Its not that I hate her, although I have little respect for her, I just fear what will happen after she wins. Now it will be again 100% Danica. It wasnt a dominating victory by any means, but now she will be a superstar. I agree, its going to get worse. Alienating more deserving drivers will become the norm. I cant imagine how bad it will be.

don't we all, I hate announcers that focus on one driver or team, thats the one thing I truely love about ALMS, they have to deal with so much going on at all times they dont have time to lolly gag.

call_me_andrew
20th April 2008, 07:26
and there were more shooters on the grassy knoll... :)

And they're beind led by Greedo.

Vegasguy
20th April 2008, 08:35
While I am not the biggest Danika fan because of all the attention she got prior to the win I do think that she and the team did a great job. Obviously she had the car trimmed out better than Ed did and and Helio burned a little too much fuel.

That being said.... am I the only one that gets irritated by subject line spoilers?

ShiftingGears
20th April 2008, 08:43
Congratulations Danica!

Civic
20th April 2008, 08:58
So does that mean 4th placed Dan Wheldon gets on the cover of Sports Illustrated? =) It would be cool if Legge stayed on. Graham vs Marco and Danica vs Katherine and PT vs everyone else would make for great marketing!

F1boat
20th April 2008, 09:37
Congratulations to Danica. This is a tremendous effort for a girl in a sport, dominated by boys. Respect!

Jimmy Magnusson
20th April 2008, 09:44
Well done to Danica - incidentally her first win in professional motorsport outside karting (now how many takes your first win at this level?), and her first ever win since that Pro Celebrity race at Long Beach (Of all places, this weekend!). And if you're going to moan about the whole field not being there, what makes all the wins from the last few years?

Ranger
20th April 2008, 10:12
I agree... kudos!

Colin
20th April 2008, 11:23
I never thought I'd see the day! In fact, I was just telling my wife that she might win one if the drivers in front of her tangled on the last lap or they ran out of gas.

Oh well, a fuel win is a win, after all Dario won a championship with a fuel win, and Marco got his first win with a fuel race (and a spinning teammate)

The best part was when Helio was congratulating her on the podium, the announcer (Reid?) was trying to suggest what Helio was saying: "Helio is saying you blew me er.... blew by me...."

FIA
20th April 2008, 11:58
Yes, Congrats Danica. I thought she would end up never winning, but she has. Well done, a win is a win whether it is luck, strategy or just skill driving. Hopefully she can now challenge for the title.

DazzlaF1
20th April 2008, 12:38
Great stuff, well done Danica

DBell
20th April 2008, 13:03
I've been fairly critical of her, so I have to give her an honest congratulations for her win. All the greats have had a few strategy wins in their careers, so a wins a win. Too bad it happened in Japan with so few people actually watching it, but it may get the race replayed in a better time slot.

JTK
20th April 2008, 13:17
Congratulations to Danica. This is a tremendous effort for a girl in a sport, dominated by boys. Respect!

Absolutely right!! Was always going to be difficult for a female to compete at top level, but she has proved it can be done, lets hope its an incentive for others to come forward, if they can prove they are good enough, then why not. Hope its the first of many for Danica.

indycool
20th April 2008, 14:23
I can't believe the sour grapes and baloney from some.

If you'll recall, Danica LOST the 2005 Indianapolis 500 because of fuel strategy when she had to dial down at the end to finish. So, it came full circle and she won a race. And, as some have said, she was leaned out after the last topoff pit stop and the announcers caught it early. I was watching it on the scoring monitor and while Dixon and the others were battling at 195, she was steady at about 190, although she HAD been running at 195.

And as for the CC guys not running there, BS. Lousy excuse. She ran against the guys she's been running against for three years on ovals. Whoever wins Long Beach today wins, period. However they win by legit means, they win, period. Not because Jeff Gordon wasn't running there.

CHAMPMOM
20th April 2008, 14:38
I'm with Indycool on this one, Lighten up! I've been hard on Danica in the past, but she finally got the gorilla off her back. It's the media who fawns all over a select few and ignores the rest. That is not Danica's fault. Actually, I think it has put more pressure on her than the guys! She took the checkered flag, that's a win.

I think that her victory is GREAT. Good for openwheel racing too.

Congrats to Danica! :) :) :)

nanders
20th April 2008, 14:54
Fuel wins happen all the time, no denyin that, a win is a win, she earned it.

Fuel wins are planned for. Teams will purposefully go off the leaders strategy early in races to just be on a different strategy so they will have a chance at changing their track position if the flags fall right. If you don't like this kind of thing ... you better start watching F1.

I lost all respect for here when she went on doing the sleezy SI issues. still needs to grow up and race and leave modelin behind

I gained a new respect for that cute little "one-hander." Harvick, I don't understand your thinking here and it really goes against everything we have been talking about in this forum for years. We've been talking about doing the things that make these drivers "household names." So she goes out and does her part, which improves recognition of the sport, over all, and you want to stomp on it with "sleezy SI issues?" So if it's so sleezy what are you doing looking at it? Did you not know what to expect?

Boy ... some people just can't keep from "stepping in it."

wedge
20th April 2008, 15:01
Congratulations Danica!!!

I think she's a driver who deserves a few wins and hopefully more will come.

Let's not forget Marco's first win was on fuel strategy and a suspect yellow

BobGarage
20th April 2008, 15:02
Congratulations to Danica, I didn't think she would ever win. In fact I was sure she would never win, but I stand corrected.

I could argue to fuel strategy pojnt, but then in the same breath, GRahal was only in a place for a win at St. pete because of fuel strategy. If the race had gone full distance rather than timed rahal would have had to pit again and the race would have been someone elses.

A wins a win. She now needs to back it up with more wins or she will go down in history as a one win wonder....

dataman1
20th April 2008, 15:03
News flash folks. Michael Andretti is the new face of Indycar and Honda will give him the sun and the moon if he asks. He is the new AJ Foyt. Danica's win was a gift from Honda as Michael knew the competition was getting harder. I would love to measure her fuel capacity or get my hands on her engine data. Only then will I believe.

That said, Danica is a good driver and deserves to be in the series. She has held her own against a number of male drivers and earned her spot in the line up. So I congratulate her on her victory. Lots of others have gotten the call, it was her turn.

nanders
20th April 2008, 15:15
Too bad it happened in Japan with so few people actually watching it, but it may get the race replayed in a better time slot.

As of right now, it's Monday morning while you are going to work. Set your DVR.

nigelred5
20th April 2008, 15:17
Oval Racing has almost always been all about strategy. Stay out of trouble, run clean consistent laps, plan your fuel strategy for 1 lap past finish. Today, Danica and AGR accomplished that perfectly. Kudos. Now, can we get on with it now that she finally got a win? :wink:

I agree with Dataman though. Other than Rahal, Michael is the only real link to the household name type drivers of the 70's, 80's and early 90's pre split that has transitioned successfully into team ownership. One to carry the mantle of American open wheel racing into the next couple of decades. Mears stays more or less behind the scenes with Penske. Al Jr made a mess of himself. Vasser is now in the game. Now we again have the names Andretti and Rahal and Foyt behind the wheel to compete with todays names like Danica, Helio, Dixon and Kanaan. Lets see how well Gene can run with that and build Indycar racing back into a respectable level of household recognition.

DavePI2
20th April 2008, 16:58
congradulations to danica for a great win. I can't believe anyone would question helio conseriving fuel at the end. Doesn't anyone remember what happened to danica at indy when she was leading. She had to do the same thing , back off and conserve fuel because the reason she was in the lead was a decision not to pit when everyone else did. Noone questioned here for conserving fuel at the end , so any naysayer should wake up and smell the roses. She won and she deserved it. Oh and this comes from someone who always put her down.

David

gloomyDAY
20th April 2008, 17:05
I was at a UFC fight with friend's and a breaking news alert went off on ESPN.

*shocked*

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 17:08
Now, can we get on with it now that she finally got a win? .

the problem is yes, but the media will be a no, if you thought the coverage of her was bad enough before, I may not even be able to watch another IRL race anymore because the race coverage will most likely be always about her.

indycool
20th April 2008, 17:25
If she's running in the front, so what? Most people want to watch who's leading.

Al Unser was a driver whose strategy in any race was to stay out of trouble, keep the leader in sight, not make mistakes and go for it at the end. I heard him asked about it once and he said, "What I try to do the whole race is put myself in a POSITION TO WIN." That was the direct quote I recall, but he went on to say something to the effect that sometimes that meant he could or did lead every lap, sometimes he couldn't or didn't, but he always wanted to be in a position at the end of the race to achieve a victory.

And that's what Danica did this time.

ezhop7
20th April 2008, 17:30
Gentlemen..it seems to me that people are forgetting that in racing it's the sponsoirship dollars that fuels speed and team survival. The IRL must capitalize on it's most marketable drivers. I hate to say it but Danica, Marco, Helio and Graham are the most marketable out of the whole lot and its future. Us die-hard race fans will always be there , but if the League can attract a influx of new fans then do so. In fact, women actually bring more dollars because the men will come if the lady wants to go to the race, if you know what I mean!

Chaparral66
20th April 2008, 17:43
Very cool to see her win. Yikes, just in time in the first year of the merger...

VkmSpouge
20th April 2008, 17:49
Congratulations to Danica Patrick on her victory.

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 17:50
Al Unser was a driver whose strategy in any race was to stay out of trouble, keep the leader in sight, not make mistakes and go for it at the end. I heard him asked about it once and he said, "What I try to do the whole race is put myself in a POSITION TO WIN." That was the direct quote I recall, but he went on to say something to the effect that sometimes that meant he could or did lead every lap, sometimes he couldn't or didn't, but he always wanted to be in a position at the end of the race to achieve a victory.

99% of drivers today do that. there are a few who go and attack and usually make mistakes, but all drivers know the driving distance and when to strike when the time comes

electron
20th April 2008, 18:17
this huge, great, awsome!
finally.

last week Rahal, this week Patrick!!! IndyCar make the big waves.

over here in germany where we currently get about Z E R O coverage this event made the TV news.

She deserved it finally and it won't be her last one.
congrats :)

bblocker68
20th April 2008, 18:33
Congrats to Danica. I've been critical of her, but I have to give it up on this one.

Like it or not fellas, this can only be good for the sport. She's been all over the networks and ESPN.

Kudos Danica! Good to see you finally made it.

NickFalzone
20th April 2008, 18:56
Here's a link to the last few laps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0xw6qoe6zw

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 19:04
So if it's so sleezy what are you doing looking at it? Did you not know what to expect?

no I don't buy SI issues, I've only seen them off of ESPN advertisements and its just a shame. she needs to act more serious in this profession, than takin her top off to give some 13 year old some good jollies

jarrambide
20th April 2008, 20:46
Canīt believe some are complaining about all the attention she is getting.
Do I like her as a driver?, No I donīt, but I never liked whining Andretti either, and I liked the guy to be in the races, I need good guys and bad guys, good vs evil, if not it is not fun.

Do I think is fair that Graham got like 1% of the attention she is getting?, no, but that is not her fault, or Grahamīs, not even the mediaīs fault, like it or not we are still living in a country that threats women differently, we like to talk about how we are all for equality and how we are leveling the field, but is not true yet, we are a long way from there, women trying to compete with boys will always be a big story, until the story gets old (like with Sorenstam), the only way for the story to get new fuel is for the female athlete to win against the boys, becoming an even greater story, and she did it. Our society is what it is, so instead of complaining we should hope IndyCar gets as much mileage as possible from this.

Do I like her posing in bikinis?, I will come clean here, I am a chauvinist pig and I do like to look at women wearing bikinis and lingerie, my wife understands this and just laughs at the pig she has as a husband, and since I have seen lots of pretty models, no I donīt like to see her in a bikini, but nanders is 100% right on this one, she is trying to become a household name, and getting money in the process, it is a great business decision, you guys wouldnīt try to maximize your income with a legal business?

I hate her, but she won like many other drivers, with strategy, now I canīt say, "but she has never won a single race", now I will just hate her like I hated Paul Tracy, whining Andretti and Michael Schumacher and enjoy the races, as I said, I need to like some guys and hate other guys, excuse me, chang eguys for drivers.

jarrambide
20th April 2008, 20:46
Canīt believe some are complaining about all the attention she is getting.
Do I like her as a driver?, No I donīt, but I never liked whining Andretti either, and I liked the guy to be in the races, I need good guys and bad guys, good vs evil, if not it is not fun.

Do I think is fair that Graham got like 1% of the attention she is getting?, no, but that is not her fault, or Grahamīs, not even the mediaīs fault, like it or not we are still living in a country that threats women differently, we like to talk about how we are all for equality and how we are leveling the field, but is not true yet, we are a long way from there, women trying to compete with boys will always be a big story, until the story gets old (like with Sorenstam), the only way for the story to get new fuel is for the female athlete to win against the boys, becoming an even greater story, and she did it. Our society is what it is, so instead of complaining we should hope IndyCar gets as much mileage as possible from this.

Do I like her posing in bikinis?, I will come clean here, I am a chauvinist pig and I do like to look at women wearing bikinis and lingerie, my wife understands this and just laughs at the pig she has as a husband, and since I have seen lots of pretty models, no I donīt like to see her in a bikini, but nanders is 100% right on this one, she is trying to become a household name, and getting money in the process, it is a great business decision, you guys wouldnīt try to maximize your income with a legal business?

I hate her, but she won like many other drivers, with strategy, now I canīt say, "but she has never won a single race", now I will just hate her like I hated Paul Tracy, whining Andretti and Michael Schumacher and enjoy the races, as I said, I need to like some guys and hate other guys, excuse me, chang eguys for drivers.

nanders
20th April 2008, 20:49
the problem is yes, but the media will be a no, if you thought the coverage of her was bad enough before, I may not even be able to watch another IRL race anymore because the race coverage will most likely be always about her.

bye bye

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94

nanders
20th April 2008, 21:05
no I don't buy SI issues, I've only seen them off of ESPN advertisements and its just a shame. she needs to act more serious in this profession, than takin her top off to give some 13 year old some good jollies

I missed the ones with the top off, but how's this a problem for IndyCar? Or is it just your problem?

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 21:21
I missed the ones with the top off, but how's this a problem for IndyCar? Or is it just your problem?

its a short term gain, long term problem. why do you think Sarah isn't in the series anymore, she didn't show her skin so she got know where, she was a very good racer, same with Legge. if women want to get into racing now, guess their business card includes a half naked picture now, very unprofessional (unless your job is in the exotic business).

plus, I'm not goin anywhere, racing is the one sport that I truely love, and I'm not gonna be PC in my posts, I'm gonna say what I say, and if its wrong, then whatever, if its right, whatever. I don't care. I'll be in the F1 forum when the Spanish GP starts up, i'll be in all the forums in which he racing is on.

its life, does it affect you or me, no. did Danica winning change my life, no, yours, no.

I'm sayin is that now she has won, shes got all the attention in the world now and if she still needs to shoot a bikini photos to get people to lolligag over her, then something is wrong, she's a professional racecar driver and needs to show it on and off the track

Ironcurtainantihero
20th April 2008, 21:39
What is your issue, harvick#1? I surmise it's one of the following:

You're a woman who doesn't look as good as Danica Patrick.
Your husband/boyfriend thinks she's hot.
You're an embittered male who lost something to a woman.

I'm not Danica's biggest fan, almost exclusively because I feel she is overhyped. However, I can also give credit where credit is due. She won yesterday in Japan, fair and square, and I congratulate her for that. I also know that Danica winning, if leveraged correctly, is HUGE for the IRL. I can deal with the unending hype because this unified sport needs it. Since February, three things have happened in open-wheel racing in North America-Champ Car and the IRL are back together, Graham Rahal won in St. Petersburg and Danica Patrick breaks her duck yesterday in Japan. All of the above are GREAT for open-wheel racing. I can tolerate the media cirucs aspects for the overall betterment of the sport I love.

BTW, I am a heterosexual male and I don't have a problem whatsover with Danica posing for Maxim, Sports Illustrated or anyone else. To borrow a line from "Hot Pants" by the late Godfather of Soul, James Brown: "In life, ya gotta use whatcha got, to get whatcha want." I commend Danica for doing just that.

COD
20th April 2008, 21:51
Great to see her winning, specially because she has been given so much s**t here and elswhere as well. She is a great abassandor for the sport and a good driver like I have said before. I think it serves right to all her criticts that she won and hopefully she will get more wins in the future

NickFalzone
20th April 2008, 21:51
I find it amusing that you guys are complaining about Danica getting lots of media hype, when just a few days ago were marvelling that Graham was on Letterman, he was also all over the IndyCar site, and had a major USA Today article about his win.

DavePI2
20th April 2008, 21:59
very good point nick

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 22:03

I am a male, and prefer women

I think its a shame that the only way to promote the sport is to have your 1 female driver pose half naked to try and sell ticket, instead of trying to bring the fans in with a cleaner approach. I think the IRL racing at times is truely amazing, yet, there is poor attendence (why I don't know, maybe it was because of the split). maybe now with the merger, she won't have to do this to get attention anymore. as a guy, you can fantasize all you want about Danica, but she needs to be more professional by not doing it. yes, I;m sure she'll be at the beach and the Paparazzi can't help but take pictures, that happens to every celeberty.

hey if women want to race, I fully let them too, if they have what it takes, then fantastic, Danica won, made some history, case closed. life hasn't changed, the earth didn't blow up, now its Sunday. 2 races goin on and will be watchin what I love and that racin

good day

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2008, 22:27
What is your issue, harvick#1? I surmise it's one of the following:

Is that the Geraldine Ferraro/Elton John Theory: any man who doesn't support Hillary is a misogynist (probably the most over used word among libs)?

Except for his choice of driver ( :D ), harvick#1 has shown himself to be one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable racing fans on this site. He claims to be 21 or so, but I'm sure he's really about 40. ;)

He's already answered your charge. But I find it interesting how and why people make the worst assumptions, when it may just come down to the fact that they're not wowed by someone who has accomplished very little, but is constantly gushed over.

With that said, I do think the IRL should try to make something of her victory. Americans have turned their eyes and interest away from this type of racing. The Nationwide Series race will probably get better ratings today than any IRL race this season, other than Indy. NASCAR now has the heroes that kids here follow. So whether it was real or just reality TV (I didn't see the race), her win is a chance for the IRL to make some noise. When you don't have much, you just do the best with what you do have.

garyshell
20th April 2008, 22:28

Good, don't. Good bye. We really don't care.

Gary

nigelred5
20th April 2008, 22:31
[quote="harvick#1"]its a short term gain, long term problem. why do you think Sarah isn't in the series anymore, she didn't show her skin so she got know where, she was a very good racer, same with Legge. [?quote]

Did anyone really want to see SF sans clothes ?? :eek:

Ironcurtainantihero
20th April 2008, 22:33
The reality is that Danica's promotional activities-whether you agree with them or not-have brought attention to the series. I for one appreciate that.

I am a pragmatist. My philosophy is: Whatever brings attention to the series is a good thing. I don't think it's unprofessional. That is your opinion, and you are entitled to feel that way. I don't have a problem with it and I wouldn't if Ana Beatriz, Cyndie Alleman, Leilani Munter, Angelle Sampey, Hillary Will, Ashley Force, Simona De Silvestro, Katherine Legge or any other female in motorsports does so either. More power to them.

BTW, I don't fantasize about Danica Patrick. There are far more attractive women who I do so about.

indycool
20th April 2008, 22:58
Harvick, you posted one thing untrue: That she took her top off. Well, she probably did to dress and undress, but she did not show any degree of boobs in any of the 44 pictures on SI's website.

She turned down Playboy, although Amanda Beard didn't. The pictures in FHM and SI showed her as being "hot," but did NOT show her inappropriately in any other way than you might see a woman at a club or a beach. In all the years of the SI swimsuit issue, no woman has EVER been shown inappropriately.

IMO, your smears are unfounded and they're just showing up here as sour grapes.

And I'm like the post above: Danica Patrick is a pretty woman but I think the prettiest to compete in a race car in a major series was Shawna Robinson.

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2008, 23:05
The reality is that Danica's promotional activities-whether you agree with them or not-have brought attention to the series. I for one appreciate that.

I am a pragmatist. My philosophy is: Whatever brings attention to the series is a good thing. I don't think it's unprofessional. That is your opinion, and you are entitled to feel that way. I don't have a problem with it and I wouldn't if Ana Beatriz, Cyndie Alleman, Leilani Munter, Angelle Sampey, Hillary Will, Ashley Force, Simona De Silvestro, Katherine Legge or any other female in motorsports does so either. More power to them.

BTW, I don't fantasize about Danica Patrick. There are far more attractive women who I do so about.

Then maybe she should do Playboy...

I don't know about the others that you've named. But Angelle Sampey has been very pointed in saying that she will never go that route. And she most certainly has the looks and figure to pull it off. After her last marriage broke up she started working out very hard, and posted a picture of herself in a bikini top on her fan board - there were only a dozen or so "fans" on the site. She took it down soon afterward and actually apologized to us for posting it. She didn't want people to think she was being pretentious or showing off her "goods". None of us took it that way, but it spoke to her character that she would be concerned about that. And yes, she has expressed thoughts on Danica. Her feelings seem to mirror my own. Let's just say that Angelle is a hard competitor, a racer, a winner... and a champion - but she does it all with 100% class. It would be hard to find anyone at that level who is more sincere or better with fans. And she's had sponsorship and (major) money issues over the years - some fairly recently. But she is not the type that's going to show some skin to get $ or attention.

I'm not saying that Danica is wrong... or that Angelle is right. But if Angelle can't do it on merit, she's not going to do it.

We live in a time when more American girls look up to Paris Hilton than Elizabeth Dole. So my expectations are in check.

harvick#1
20th April 2008, 23:12
Harvick, you posted one thing untrue: That she took her top off. Well, she probably did to dress and undress, but she did not show any degree of boobs in any of the 44 pictures on SI's website.

I never have seen the SI issue so I was most likely wrong, but I've seen other issues people showed me and other models have done it while covering themselves.

EDIT: I don't buy SI cause they cover autosports on about 1 page. and I hate baseball, which is basically all they ever talk about, so its a waste of money

indycool
20th April 2008, 23:13
Okay, no boobs showing, no foul.

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2008, 23:26
Well, she probably did to dress and undress, but she did not show any degree of boobs

Did not or could not? :p

IBTC in da house!!!

I know. I'm sorry. I had a flashback from years gone by. A friend of mine in high school (proudly) wore one of those t-shirts.

indycool
20th April 2008, 23:34
I don't ever recall seeing a bare boob in the SI swimsuit issue. It just ain't done there.

But you're probably right about IBTC, Jag....except I think the choice of not to do it wasn't made on that basis.....and I haven't heard that term in years! :) :)

hoxymoron
20th April 2008, 23:57
fantastic, Danica. Bravo. I hope you have many more podium trips.

nanders
21st April 2008, 01:22
its a short term gain, long term problem.

What's that problem again, that they might be having in the "long term?" I'm still trying to get you to tell me what the problem is. You've said it twice now, please tell me what it is.

why do you think Sarah isn't in the series anymore, she didn't show her skin so she got know where, she was a very good racer, same with Legge.

Do you have a link to this information? Something, anything that backs this "why do you think" statement? BTW, I think she's putting together here own team.

if women want to get into racing now, guess their business card includes a half naked picture now, very unprofessional (unless your job is in the exotic business).

Your repressed thinking is depressing me .... or is it the other way around.

I'm sayin is that now she has won, shes got all the attention in the world now and if she still needs to shoot a bikini photos to get people to lolligag over her, then something is wrong, she's a professional racecar driver and needs to show it on and off the track

Did you just contradict yourself?

indycool
21st April 2008, 02:00
Legge finished on the lead lap ONCE during her first season in CC. Hardly close to the same league as Fisher, won poles, started on front rows and led races and had a best finish of second at Miami....regardless if EITHER one of them had also been models. And Fisher IS putting together her own team with John O'Gara, her former team manager at D&R Racing, and married Andy O'Gara, her chief mechanic. They'll be at Indy. Where is Legge now?

indycool
21st April 2008, 02:51
Olson on Speed:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/olson-danicas-moment

pits4me
21st April 2008, 03:09
Legge finished on the lead lap ONCE during her first season in CC. Hardly close to the same league as Fisher, won poles, started on front rows and led races and had a best finish of second at Miami....regardless if EITHER one of them had also been models. And Fisher IS putting together her own team with John O'Gara, her former team manager at D&R Racing, and married Andy O'Gara, her chief mechanic. They'll be at Indy. Where is Legge now?

Legge is in DTM. But you knew that IC' The only true way to compare Legge to either Fisher or Patrick is racing side by side. Legge did much better in Atlantics than Danica and with many fewer career races under her belt.

In the premier level, Legge, a driver with no oval experience (except learning to turn on water in a Formula powerboat that you dubbed a PR stunt), did very well in her first oval outing at Milwaukee.

But you would have conveniently blocked that out of your mind since it doesn't fit the media frenzy of her "NASCARish" finishes at Motegi.

If we are to commend any female shoe this weekend, take a look at what Simona De Silvestro accomplished in winning the Long Beach race. Especially if you consider the level of recognized talent she left in her wake. I was there and saw how she pulled away from the field in dominating fashion, something I have yet to see from Patrick.

indycool
21st April 2008, 03:25
That isn't even a fair way. Judge them over a career and argue like we do about AJ and Mario.

Placid
21st April 2008, 03:38
Amazing run Danica. I wonder if you get a call from Honda F1 and have you tested. You truly deserve an invitation.

pits4me
21st April 2008, 03:44
It will take a lot to erase memories of her lackluster performance at St. Pete's. An oval win doesn't get big marks on the F1 radar.

harvick#1
21st April 2008, 03:51
Amazing run Danica. I wonder if you get a call from Honda F1 and have you tested. You truly deserve an invitation.

I really hate to be attacked again,

but she is not F1 worthy, she'd get run over. much, much more powerful cars and no TC, if any american has a good shot at going to F1 is Rahal. hes very very good on road courses and can wheel a car, although he did make a noob mistake at the end of todays race, but he shows hes extremely fast in indy cars on road courses. he even won his first race being in a new car, in his first race. I'd really like to see him get an F1 ride more

Placid
21st April 2008, 03:54

but she is not F1 worthy, she'd get run over. much, much more powerful cars and no TC, if any american has a good shot at going to F1 is Rahal. hes very very good on road courses and can wheel a car, although he did make a noob mistake at the end of todays race, but he shows hes extremely fast in indy cars on road courses. he even won his first race being in a new car, in his first race. I'd really like to see him get an F1 ride more

I am not saying about her racing, but at least give her an opportunity to
drive it. It is only an invitation like Marco in 2006. True for Graham who has at least an opportunity to drive an F1 car. Do not forget Charlie Kimball who has podiumed in the F3 Euroseries feature race at Hockenheim.

indycool
21st April 2008, 03:56
I don't think either one would enjoy F1. Michael Andretti didn't. Emerson Fittipaldi had more fun here after his F1 career. So did Guerrero, Boesel and others. Rahal didn't like running Jaguar's program in F1.

And this is the Indy car forum. I'm sick and tired of hearing after anyone wins an Indy car race to hear if they're a candidate to join the elitists of F1. That isn't the point for most of the field.

jarrambide
21st April 2008, 04:52
I don't think either one would enjoy F1. Michael Andretti didn't. Emerson Fittipaldi had more fun here after his F1 career. So did Guerrero, Boesel and others. Rahal didn't like running Jaguar's program in F1.

And this is the Indy car forum. I'm sick and tired of hearing after anyone wins an Indy car race to hear if they're a candidate to join the elitists of F1. That isn't the point for most of the field.

F1 and IndyCar are after all both OWR series and many of us enjoy both of them, some enoy IndyCar more some enjoy F1 more but they go to both forums because they love Open Wheel cars fighting on th etrack.

damattarulz
21st April 2008, 05:35
That isn't even a fair way. Judge them over a career and argue like we do about AJ and Mario.

The only problem is that AJ and Mario didn't get to where they are by their looks.

indycool
21st April 2008, 05:52
Sure, they won races. And Danica just won one. Do you think she would trade this victory for three Atlantic wins? No way.

F1boat
21st April 2008, 12:16
Well said. There is a difference between wins in support series and in premier series.

21st April 2008, 14:10
And to all the "haters, deniers", what ever you want to call 'em, who moan it was a fuel win I only have this to say: so freakin' what, that is as much a part of racing as any other aspect. In any race where there is refueling involved there always has and always will be a strategy surrounding it. Racing is a chess match in which strategy is as important as a heavy right foot, probably more important. Probably, ah hell no, it IS more important. A win is a win. Congratulations Danica.

Gary

100% Agree.

indycool
21st April 2008, 14:13
100%.

nanders
21st April 2008, 15:11

If you hate it, maybe you should think about getting your facts straight.

If you could back up what you present as fact, you would not be attacked.

Maybe you should use "IMO" which means "in my opinion."

CARTDM15
22nd April 2008, 02:54
[quote="F1boat"]Well said. There is a difference between wins in support series and in premier series.[/QUOTE
Yeah.Winning in a support series on a road course is harder than winning in the all oval premier series.Danica never led a lap till she got to the IRL.And thats a fact.

CARTDM15
22nd April 2008, 03:09
My only problem with this Danica hype is that the media treats her like she has never driven a car before.The anouncers praise her for not getting lap.They praise ever chance they get. She came up through Baber Dodge & Atlantics so should be preforming better if she was that great of a driver.

I can't believe people are surprise that she won.It was long over due.If you all haven't notice AGR/Penske/ & TCGR has won all races in the last three years.You take away Dario & Hornish and replace them with Briscoe & who every the Japanesse driver is.You have a weaken field.With the Champcar teams not up to speed yet.She better snatch a few more wins this year because I don't think she is talent enough to hang with a real strong field.

fowlerracing04
22nd April 2008, 03:19

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard! She deserves an invitation to drive an F1 car? Are you freakin' kidding me?

She won one race by being the slowest car in the field and you want to put her in an F1 car! Wow! Do you realize that this is her first and only win in a CAR in her entire career? The last race she won was in a go-kart, yes thats right a go kart...

If she wasnt hot, she wouldnt be in that car today, but the IRL and Champcar were desperate for something to draw more fans. Shes hot which draws the guys to the races and shes a girl which will bring more women to the track because they now have someone to cheer for....

Danica got lucky, she doesnt deserve to be in that ride and she definitley doesnt deserve to be in an F1 car......

TioWoody
22nd April 2008, 03:25
A win is a win. We have all seen some weird ones. So congrats to the lady with the long hair.

But I still think the time she beat Tommy Kendall was a greater victory - even though in that race another lady won the race.

PSfan
22nd April 2008, 22:38
Well thanks to TSN I got to watch this race last night/this morning and I must say as a racing fan

WTF!!! I mean, WWE couldn't have scripted it better (actually maybe they could have, they wouldn't have made it so f'n obvious.) I know I'm not a big fan of the IRL product, specially ovals, but really, people are still upset at the Ferrari staged finishes...

3 Laps to go, 7 cars on the lead lap!?! Danica's 50th start!!! No Nascar Sprint race to compete for headlines. and another 2 hours to gush about it the next day?!?! last 5 laps of that race was fixed, and I think Danica deserves better!!! The sport deserves better...

OWFan19
22nd April 2008, 22:41
Well thanks to TSN I got to watch this race last night/this morning and I must say as a racing fan

WTF!!! I mean, WWE couldn't have scripted it better (actually maybe they could have, they wouldn't have made it so f'n obvious.) I know I'm not a big fan of the IRL product, specially ovals, but really, people are still upset at the Ferrari staged finishes...

3 Laps to go, 7 cars on the lead lap!?! Danica's 50th start!!! No Nascar Sprint race to compete for headlines. and another 2 hours to gush about it the next day?!?! last 5 laps of that race was fixed, and I think Danica deserves better!!! The sport deserves better...

Can I buy you a beer? Amen.

weeflyonthewall
22nd April 2008, 22:50

Unless you're desperate to upstage Champ Cars last hoorah?

indycool
22nd April 2008, 22:59
Baloney. Cindric was quoted as saying that post-race tech showed 0.00 fuel in the tank. Different strategies. The chargers were counting on a yellow that didn't happen. Conspiracy theories, my behind. Fortunately, it is "totally" one series now and this nonsense can go away.

jarrambide
22nd April 2008, 23:38
Baloney. Cindric was quoted as saying that post-race tech showed 0.00 fuel in the tank. Different strategies. The chargers were counting on a yellow that didn't happen. Conspiracy theories, my behind. Fortunately, it is "totally" one series now and this nonsense can go away.

Wanna bet?, you are being optimistic IC, tell you what, if this nonsense goes away in a few days I will buy you dinner one day in Indy,if Starter, Boiler or yours truly have to get rid of this nonsense you pay for dinner.

PSfan
22nd April 2008, 23:44

Danica And Helio both pitted on the same lap! with 3 laps to go, the absolute worst he could have finished was 10th (assuming he had enough fuel to make it by driving slow) probably 7th if he ran out on the last lap, and thats if he raced DP for the win and ran out, and I guess he must have stopped on the track out of fuel in order for the 0.00 to mean anything at this point, if he had the fuel for a cool down lap, odds are he had enough to race for the win.

And I won't tell you where you can shove that "one series" bull**** If IRL is "fixing races" and turning themselves into the WWE of motorsports, its the fans of the IRL that will lose out, when the sport is no longer taken seriously.

jarrambide
22nd April 2008, 23:51
Thatīs it, Iīm closing this one.