PDA

View Full Version : Possible Lessons from NASCAR

Old Stock Nut
19th January 2007, 23:34
Looking at the emotion that Benny Parson's death has generated both here and across the pond, I started to do think what really makes NASCAR so popular.
Main Conclusion - The drivers.
There are very few Bud supporters, fewer Dupont supporters and even fewer Ford/Chevy fans. It is the drivers that bring the real interest. Looking at the close season over there, apart from a bit of "Car of Tomorrow" controversy, most of the talk has been about drivers. Over here, this does not seem to happen on the whole. There has probably only been one driver who has truly embraced that message and we lost the Tony "Shark" King after some of the very odd wheeler/dealing that very nearly killed the series off all together. Others created a bit of a following by their actions on track rather than with the fans and at least one seemed at least to be able to generate some teeny bopper interest.
One of the problems in past seasons has been the incredible turnover of drivers coming and going. However, since we seem to be on the edge of a renaissance of sorts, can we have some more overt supporter generation from the drivers so that they can generate some real personal interest please – and that includes merchandise – most fans at the races in the States have hats/sweaters/coats/drinks coolers etc in their favourite driver colours and logos – now is the time to start preparing those things.
Oh – and does anyone know if there is any chance of a Shark return?

turn 4 mad
19th January 2007, 23:43
lets start a "bring back the shark" campaign

71minus2
19th January 2007, 23:47
Couldn't agree more.

The drivers are the public front of NASCAR hence the severe penalties imposed on them for any action which could be detrimental to the series as a brand. This is not an important factor with SCSA (unless Jade Goodie was planning to drive).

As for driver turnover all motorsport has its fair share of coming and going, NASCAR included. The Busch Series had over 100 different drivers compete in the 35 races held in 2006, there are a few who reach the peak and become firm fan favourites. In SCSA I see that as Oli Playle, Colin White and if they return, Junes and The Shark.

If 2007 continues to show signs of improvement then SCSA will be heading back to where it was in 2004 albeit minus the huge financial losses we all heard about.

Stick with it, I will.

Richard.

JovialJooles
20th January 2007, 13:51
I'd love to see Tony back too!

Julian

Alfa Fan
20th January 2007, 14:27
43 cars
30 venues

cgs
20th January 2007, 15:14
the thing with NASCAR though, especially Nextele Cup, is that it is the highest level of motorsport of that type and so once a driver enters the series and is very successful at it they are likely to stay in the series for a very long time. however, SCSA and the pickups, although the highest level of oval racing in the UK, is seen by some drivers as a stepping stone to something larger. just look at some of the great drivers we've had before and what they're doing now. for some drivers, they don't really have the ambition to progress further, perhaps due to family commitments or other reasons.

however, the series should utilise the drivers it has got when they have them. it should be the drivers who are the public face of the series.

The White Lady
20th January 2007, 17:05
lets start a "bring back the shark" campaign

Definitely agree and support this idea! :D

Also Michael Vergers - he was fan/media friendly, and I'm sure Pit Kid and I weren't his only supporters! :cheese:

Dave17
20th January 2007, 19:40
Also Michael Vergers - he was fan/media friendly, and I'm sure Pit Kid and I weren't his only supporters! :cheese:

Your not alone. I've rated Verg since I first saw him race at the FFord festival - a *few* years back!

IMHO I think Rob may fill the gap left by The Shark this year if his forum contribution anything to go by. (you need a catchy nickname Rob!)

JDPower
20th January 2007, 20:03
(you need a catchy nickname Rob!)
Wobbly Rob? If he's got a particular yellow hatted crew chief could be Fastrob :cheese:

racing59
20th January 2007, 20:16
Wobbly Rob? If he's got a particular yellow hatted crew chief could be Fastrob :cheese:

Oi! Oooo's bin at me homebrew?

Wobbly indeed!

(just as long as there weren't any spies at the Britcar D&D last week on here!)

pickup
20th January 2007, 21:01
I believe the main problem when comparing NASCAR to any series in this country is the shear size of the USA (and their love of oval racing), every state in America has a minimum of 1 Rockingham equivalent circuit and even with 100 drivers in NASCAR only the top drivers would be household names.
The ASCAR/SCSA series needs consistency and success to draw the paying spectator back and hopefully bring in the big sponsors/merchandising also allowing continuity with the driver line up and the fans "adopting" a driver.
I agree with the statement that it's "the drivers that bring in the real interest"
but most drivers even in NASCAR are associated with their sponsors brand.
The Pickups have a more consistent driver line with many of the top drivers having competed in the series for many years and i suspect many ardent fans of the series do have a driver/team that they support, many teams/drivers who do have sponsors wear branded teamwear but unfortunately without considerable initial investment from the sponsor/team this is not available to the public. As i said if the series can grow and bring good media and TV coverage then spectator interest will increase and it will become more attractive to the big sponsors who would produce their own merchandising featuring their driver and make it available to the public.
Things are looking good for the SCSA, they have a good series sponsor, new drivers,possible TV, people who care about the series in charge and are keeping the whole thing in the public eye, here's to a top 2007 series.

BenRoethig
20th January 2007, 21:35
Develop from the grass roots level up.

pickup
20th January 2007, 21:55
Develop from the grass roots level up.

We have! not to sure what you are trying to say with that statement.
I would think the majority of the drivers competing in theSCSA/Pickups have come from lesser series mainly short oval racing.