PDA

View Full Version : Shortest time for Pole Man to lose the lead

FIA
19th April 2008, 19:35
I was thinking, Robert Kubica lost his lead very quickly. So I was wondering what is the shortest time for the driver on Pole to loose the lead and most places lost in one lap (Two seperate records), not including stalls.

GP-M3
19th April 2008, 19:39
I don't know the answer to your question, but on a related subject I do observer that Felipe is a very quick qualifier, and has been for some time now. But has he ever won a race where he wasn't leading at the first corner? I don't believe so. He is certainly quick, but his racecraft seems less then some of the others.

I was thinking, Robert Kubica lost his lead very quickly. So I was wondering what is the shortest time for the driver on Pole to loose the lead and most places lost in one lap (Two seperate records), not including stalls.

V12
19th April 2008, 19:43
The time taken to lose the lead would be hard to measure definitively, since official timing is only done at 3 points throughout the circuit. As for most places lost on one lap, Teo Fabi at the 1985 German GP (dropping to eighth) is one bad start from pole that springs to mind but I doubt that is the record, there's bound to be some instance of a driver on pole spinning or something on the first lap that I can't think of off the top of my head...

FIA
19th April 2008, 19:53
True, so how about number of places lost after the first corner, not incluidng spinners.

ChrisS
19th April 2008, 20:02
In Suzuka 1998 Schumacher was on pole but stalled and had to start from last, so he lost the lead at the start of the warm up lap

keysersoze
19th April 2008, 23:05
Not embarrasingly bad, but Riccardo Patrese started on pole in Mexico '91 and exited turn one in 4th.

But my boy was on form that day, quickly passing Alesi (IIRC), Senna, and teammate Mansell before stretching his lead to over 25 seconds.

It was the last time he led the WDC.

20th April 2008, 11:45
I remember Frentzen at Monaco in 1997. Both he and Villenueve, second on the grid, started on slicks when it was raining.

Big Ben
20th April 2008, 12:58
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8FDtcjJMjQo

MS was so focused on blocking MH that i think he only realized the silver car behind him was being driven by DC a few laps later :laugh:

this is one for the books

Osella
22nd April 2008, 19:01
Well, there is also the 1994 Italian GP at Monza where David Coulthard spun off and stalled on the warm-up lap! :laugh: I think that's a pretty short time to lose pole in, not including stalls...

He was later allowed to start from pole in a re-start after Eddie Irvine triggered a first-corner pileup.

But I would think that the French GP of the same year has to be a much shorter time then Kubica took to lose the lead...and Schumacher was 3rd on that grid!

asphaultpainter29
23rd April 2008, 03:53
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8FDtcjJMjQo

MS was so focused on blocking MH that i think he only realized the silver car behind him was being driven by DC a few laps later :laugh:

this is one for the books

Hi guys, Im new to this forum. I'd like to chime on this and say Im surprised Micheal Schumaker made that mistake at the start there. What year was that btw? I missed that race evidently. :eek:

codalunga
23rd April 2008, 03:58
I don't know the answer to your question, but on a related subject I do observer that Felipe is a very quick qualifier, and has been for some time now. But has he ever won a race where he wasn't leading at the first corner? I don't believe so. He is certainly quick, but his racecraft seems less then some of the others.

One tries to leverage their strengths the best they can. At the end of the day they don't care how they win, as long as they win. There was a different but similar strategy during the Schumacher-Hill battles. Schu rarely passed on track, relying on Ferrari's devastating and demoralizing pit work to get ahead when he wasn't already there. Williams had dismal pit work, which forced Hill to take a lot of chances on track, which carried more risk.