PDA

View Full Version : The return of Cosworth to F1 and the Purchase of SA

Powered by Cosworth
19th April 2008, 10:00
Just been on the phone to my pap who's out doing the last champ car race, got some more details on Paul Stoddart and Kevin Kalkhoven buying Super Aguri.

They'd run Honda engines for the rest of this year then switch to Cosworth engines made in the USA for 2009. Kevin Kalkhoven is a very rich man so they would easily be able to get a new chassis up and running before next season.

This would be Stoddys chance to finally run a semi-successful team, as they won't have to run it on a shoe string budget anymore.

Ranger
19th April 2008, 11:03
I don't think Super Aguri have the facilities to fully build their own chassis, hence they need manufacturer support to run the team properly. And because customer cars are soon to be outlawed, it'd seem a little silly for Paul and Kevin to buy into the team (unless I'm missing something?)

Valve Bounce
19th April 2008, 11:52
Kevin Kalkhoven is a very rich man so they would easily be able to get a new chassis up and running before next season.

How? :confused:

philipbain
19th April 2008, 11:59
How? :confused:

You would be amazed by how a big wad of cash can make things happen! If you have the money you don't have to build a car at your own facility, yes, F1 is outlawing the sharing of chassis technology between teams but you can still get a sub-contractor to build the car for you and in the UK there is plenty of choice of where to go to get the work done. I think this would be a sensible way to go about getting a car done for next season whilst the team puts in place the infrastructure to do it all in house.

19th April 2008, 12:52
I don't think Super Aguri have the facilities to fully build their own chassis, hence they need manufacturer support to run the team properly. And because customer cars are soon to be outlawed, it'd seem a little silly for Paul and Kevin to buy into the team (unless I'm missing something?)

Super Aguri are based at the old Arrows factory in Leafield. It still has all the facilities needed to begin (re-start) chassis manufacture.

The only things missing are the workforce.

BDunnell
19th April 2008, 13:10
Don't certain past experiences, especially that of Lola, demonstrate that starting to develop what would in effect be a new team with a new self-built car at this stage is fraught with potential problems?

V12
19th April 2008, 13:27
Don't certain past experiences, especially that of Lola, demonstrate that starting to develop what would in effect be a new team with a new self-built car at this stage is fraught with potential problems?

The same year Stewart entered with a start up team and did very well. I admit they had factory Ford backing so a bit different, but Lola's problem was they had earmarked 1998 for their debut, then sponsor Mastercard demanded a 1997 start, and this was either very late in 1996 or early 1997. As a result they had to rush a car into service with no windtunnel testing - I think the only shake down they did of the T97/30 was some straight line systems checks (I may be wrong there).

And then the funds promptly dried up thanks to the quirky funding system they had in place (It was contingent on membership to some new credit card scheme linked to the team IIRC).

IF this take over of the team goes through soon and they get everything together in good time, then hopefully they can make a respectable effort. Yes they'll probably be propping up the grid come next year but I doubt they'd embarrass themselves Lola fashion.

And if the alternative is the team disappearing completely, I know what I'd rather see :)

Stuartf12007
19th April 2008, 13:32
wont happen

BDunnell
19th April 2008, 13:50
The same year Stewart entered with a start up team and did very well. I admit they had factory Ford backing so a bit different, but Lola's problem was they had earmarked 1998 for their debut, then sponsor Mastercard demanded a 1997 start, and this was either very late in 1996 or early 1997. As a result they had to rush a car into service with no windtunnel testing - I think the only shake down they did of the T97/30 was some straight line systems checks (I may be wrong there).

And then the funds promptly dried up thanks to the quirky funding system they had in place (It was contingent on membership to some new credit card scheme linked to the team IIRC).

IF this take over of the team goes through soon and they get everything together in good time, then hopefully they can make a respectable effort. Yes they'll probably be propping up the grid come next year but I doubt they'd embarrass themselves Lola fashion.

And if the alternative is the team disappearing completely, I know what I'd rather see :)

I should say that I wasn't drawing any direct parallels with Lola, whose project was doomed from the moment it was brought forward a year, but starting effectively from scratch now could well prove over-ambitious. I hope not.

Valve Bounce
19th April 2008, 14:01
You would be amazed by how a big wad of cash can make things happen! If you have the money you don't have to build a car at your own facility, yes, F1 is outlawing the sharing of chassis technology between teams but you can still get a sub-contractor to build the car for you and in the UK there is plenty of choice of where to go to get the work done. I think this would be a sensible way to go about getting a car done for next season whilst the team puts in place the infrastructure to do it all in house.

Well yeah!! I suppose Budgen down in Barnet could help stump up an F1 chassis for you in a couple of weeks. And Tesco from Finchley might step in to help out. Then the service station at Cockfosters could help stuff the engine in it, and get an off duty bus driver to help test it - no problem.

Bagwan
19th April 2008, 14:35
Just been on the phone to my pap who's out doing the last champ car race, got some more details on Paul Stoddart and Kevin Kalkhoven buying Super Aguri.

They'd run Honda engines for the rest of this year then switch to Cosworth engines made in the USA for 2009. Kevin Kalkhoven is a very rich man so they would easily be able to get a new chassis up and running before next season.

This would be Stoddys chance to finally run a semi-successful team, as they won't have to run it on a shoe string budget anymore.

I sure hope you're right , PbC .

I never was a big fan of Stoddart , but I always hoped for Minardi to do well .

Any word on name for the team ?
Super Minardi ?
Super Perrenial Backmarkers ?
Super Minardi Underdogs ?

They just have to keep the word "super" in there .

Seriously , though , I would think a deal to include Taku might have the engines come pretty cheaply .
If there was ever a time when it could work , it is now , as the changes in store for next year have everyone redesigning furiously . And , nobody will know who got it right until next spring .
If there's a wad of cash to play with , they will be tempting a lot of people with the idea of bringing Minardi back from the dead .

I sure hope you're right about this . We can't lose them . Bernie can't afford it .

markabilly
19th April 2008, 15:03
yeah, someone has got to be there to fisih last....Williams should love to have them as should force india and all the rest of the whiners. Take out those two teams and teams such as toyota, India and honda will be battling for last place.....

Powered by Cosworth
19th April 2008, 17:50
Seriously , though , I would think a deal to include Taku might have the engines come pretty cheaply .

With Kalkhoven owning Cosworth I think it's a dead cert that if all this goes through they won't have Honda engines in 09.

Also the potential firing of Max Mosely is encouragement for Stoddy to get back in f1

ChrisS
19th April 2008, 19:16

Kalkhoven is not that rich, he is a multimillionaire but that's poor by F1 standards , the best he could do IMHO is a Minardi like budget.

also isn't Cosworth still based mainly in the UK with the US division only for Champcar engine rebuilds?

Bagwan
19th April 2008, 19:58
With Kalkhoven owning Cosworth I think it's a dead cert that if all this goes through they won't have Honda engines in 09.

Also the potential firing of Max Mosely is encouragement for Stoddy to get back in f1

It does seem so , but , what I meant was that SA was originally the "Sato safety net" , set up by Honda to counter the backlash after not keeping Taku in the A-team seat .
Dumping the team and Sato might still be a PR mess that they'd like solved , so they might have a reasonable partnership out of them for '09 ,if the Cozzie is not ready .

Powered by Cosworth
19th April 2008, 20:01
Kalkhoven is not that rich, he is a multimillionaire but that's poor by F1 standards , the best he could do IMHO is a Minardi like budget.

also isn't Cosworth still based mainly in the UK with the US division only for Champcar engine rebuilds?

I was sure Kalkhoven was neigh on being a billionaire. And the Cosworth HQ in Northampton is pretty much dead, especially when it comes to F1. There's almost no original staff there from when they did engines in the 1990's + 2000's.

gloomyDAY
19th April 2008, 20:59

This would be Stoddys chance to finally run a semi-successful team, as they won't have to run it on a shoe string budget anymore.Who are you to make such bold claims? :dozey:

Customer cars are being outlawed and what you're suggesting is not going to happen. I'm not sure why billionaires are keen on throwing away money to be back markers. Force India have a clear goal in mind that by the year 2010 they will be on the podium at the Indian Grand Prix, but Super Aguri are screwed because they'll be banned.

Placid
19th April 2008, 23:45
Who are you to make such bold claims? :dozey:

Customer cars are being outlawed and what you're suggesting is not going to happen. I'm not sure why billionaires are keen on throwing away money to be back markers. Force India have a clear goal in mind that by the year 2010 they will be on the podium at the Indian Grand Prix, but Super Aguri are screwed because they'll be banned.

If Stoddart and Kevin get themselves together, they can bring the Panoz chassis, design it to F1 standards since there is a contract of the Concorde
that by 2010, all teams must design their chassis. This might be the
opportunity to get an American back to F1.
(That if it true). I need to see it to believe it.

and the other question is - What about the Prodrive project?

BDunnell
20th April 2008, 00:14
I'm not sure why billionaires are keen on throwing away money to be back markers.

They always have and they always will, just as there have always been pay drivers in F1. We may find it odd, but if they want to throw good money after bad in the pursuit of zero success, who are we to do anything about it? Just being in F1 seems to be enough — never mind the fact that the commitment may end up being a short-term one. Same goes for billionaires buying into football clubs and never winning anything. It can be damaging to the clubs or F1 teams, but there's not a lot that can be done.

Force India have a clear goal in mind that by the year 2010 they will be on the podium at the Indian Grand Prix, but Super Aguri are screwed because they'll be banned.

Well, as difficult as it may be, there is an obvious way out of the problem — to design their own chassis. I don't really agree with banning customer cars, but at least the rules will be as clear as possible to would-be new entrants. There ought to be no grey areas.

Valve Bounce
20th April 2008, 00:33
Force India have a clear goal in mind that by the year 2010 they will be on the podium at the Indian Grand Prix, ..................

To quote John Wayne:"That'll be the day"

Garry Walker
20th April 2008, 15:46
With the engine rules being what they are now, how would Cosworths entry be regulated?

jens
20th April 2008, 16:06
With the engine rules being what they are now, how would Cosworths entry be regulated?

'Freeze' the engine they had in 2006? :D

ChrisS
20th April 2008, 16:15
The engine specs were frozen based on the engines the were used in the 2006 Japanese Grand Prix.

Cosworth had an engine in that GP and probably submitted its specs to the FIA so they cant develop a new engine. Any future entries should use that engine.

gloomyDAY
20th April 2008, 17:10
With the engine rules being what they are now, how would Cosworths entry be regulated?LOL!

I'm not sure, but I guess a freeze of a 2 year-old engine sounds sensible. :p

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2008, 19:42
Sorry, but I'll put this one in the "I'll believe it when I see it" file.

Kalkhoven wanted to get into F1 before getting involved with Forsythe to purchase the CART and Cosworth assets several years ago. WHther he's a billionaire or (just) a millionaire, I don't know. He is quite wealthy though. But his failing is that he doesn't seem to have any skills in managing motor racing assets. He also seems to lack the foresight to hire managers who do have the skills or acumen to manage those assets.

If there is to be a Kalkhoven/Stoddart entry in F1, I'd expect it to be run like Kalkhoven's Champ Car team, and the series itself: cheap, unprofessional and unsponsored. Lots of big talk and no results to back it up. This character makes Tom Walkinshaw and Andy Evans look like competent, straight shooters.

I just hope that he and Forsythe sell Cosworth Racing before they (totally) muck it up too.

jso1985
20th April 2008, 20:12
whatever happens I hope it doesn't involve Stoddart coming back...

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2008, 23:15
If David Richards couldn't find the proper backing, I doubt that Kalkhoven's amateur hour approach will bring in any $. He's probably just using Stoddart to introduce him to victims... er, I mean potential backers.

No worries. IMO, this guy doesn't have near the jazz to get into F1... with or without Stoddart.

Valve Bounce
21st April 2008, 00:08
Lots of gloomy talk here about Stoddart and Kalkhoven here.
To make it worse, if they froze the design of that Cosworth, I just hope that some improvements would be permitted to make it reliable.

Stuartf12007
21st April 2008, 00:10
for the second time...."it wont happen"

and if it did it would be a massive waste of time

gloomyDAY
21st April 2008, 01:50
for the second time...."it wont happen"

and if it did it would be a massive waste of timePrecisely.

The thread starter is lying. Remember how this started?