PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Honda

MrJan
18th April 2008, 18:53
I'm looking at buying a cheap second hand diesel and despite very good reviews I'm still a bit nervy about getting a French car (although I'll probably wind up with a 406).

Anyway there is a diesel Civic on a P-plate (96/97) near me. It's a 2.0 Turbo and having had my petrol Civic for a year I'm very impressed. The thing is I'm not sure how good the old Honda diesels are and more importantly whether they are economical.

It's at a fairly high price (comparitively) so I want to make sure that it's worth the money before I shell out. Sadly I also can't find a similar car to do price comparison so if anyone has any idea what they should be it'd be much appreciated :D

Daniel
18th April 2008, 20:21
Is it a common rail turbo diesel? I wouldn't go with an old style turbo diesel these days.

MrJan
18th April 2008, 22:12
I have no idea what that means. To me diesel is a different world that is big and scary. Have tried looking for specs on the internet but can't find anything.

I'm going to look at it in the morning to see what it's like but to be honest unless the price drops by a fair bit I won't bother, shame because the insurance is dirt cheap and I could transfer the parcel shelf in my current Civic (has speakers in it) which would quite helpful.

Malbec
18th April 2008, 23:13
I'm looking at buying a cheap second hand diesel and despite very good reviews I'm still a bit nervy about getting a French car (although I'll probably wind up with a 406).

Anyway there is a diesel Civic on a P-plate (96/97) near me. It's a 2.0 Turbo and having had my petrol Civic for a year I'm very impressed. The thing is I'm not sure how good the old Honda diesels are and more importantly whether they are economical.

It's at a fairly high price (comparitively) so I want to make sure that it's worth the money before I shell out. Sadly I also can't find a similar car to do price comparison so if anyone has any idea what they should be it'd be much appreciated :D

The Diesel engine won't have been made by Honda. Honda's first Diesel is the CTD-i engine. Given Honda's partnerships at the time I suspect the 2.0 Diesel is the same as that in the Rover 400 so I'd base my decisions based on the reviews of that engine.

Valve Bounce
19th April 2008, 02:52
This is the advice I give to all my friends and relatives. Check if the car has side window high air curtains. That should be the priority.
I drove my brother-in-law's Peugeot 307 turbo diesel and I noted that while cruising at a constant speed on the motorway, it uses about half the fuel that my Volvo Cross Country uses.
But as far as I'm concerned, I've focussed on the safety aspect before buying cars for the last 22 years.
That's my two bob's worth.

Daniel
19th April 2008, 07:00
A common rail unit is more efficient. It mixes the air and fuel and then directly inject it into the combustion chamber. They'll be just that bit better on fuel. How much is it? I'd personally be looking at a 2L hdi 406. They're dirt cheap and 406's are actually not bad cars.

Valve Bounce
19th April 2008, 09:02
A common rail unit is more efficient. It mixes the air and fuel and then directly inject it into the combustion chamber. They'll be just that bit better on fuel. How much is it? I'd personally be looking at a 2L hdi 406. They're dirt cheap and 406's are actually not bad cars.

The 307 is also a great car.

Daniel
19th April 2008, 09:23
But a lot more expensive than a p peg honda or a slightly newer 406.

MrJan
19th April 2008, 10:40

Yeah a 406 was what I was looking at before as there is a wide range within budget. The thing is that I think the insurance on the peugeot was about £200 more than the Honda will be.

Still not sure whether I'll go and see the car let alone buy it. The car that i've got at the minute will be around for a while yet but the trouble is that the tyres are going bald, it's developed some rattling in the trim that I just can't find and worst of all the driver's window can't roll down which makes it uncomfortably hot in the summer.

Cheers for the comments :up:

Daniel
19th April 2008, 10:58
Well you can always get some very cheap tyres for the car. Cheaper than a new car by miles. Try shopping around for car insurance on one of the comparison river and see what you can do about the cost of insurance. Just make sure that if you go for a facelift 406 as they're the ones with the hdi engines. I've got an old style diesel 406 and it's cheap to run but I still wish I'd bought a hdi one.

MrJan
19th April 2008, 11:11
Well you can always get some very cheap tyres for the car. Cheaper than a new car by miles. Try shopping around for car insurance on one of the comparison river and see what you can do about the cost of insurance. Just make sure that if you go for a facelift 406 as they're the ones with the hdi engines. I've got an old style diesel 406 and it's cheap to run but I still wish I'd bought a hdi one.

As I need a new car anyway I thought I may as well get one rather than replacing tyres and then getting a new car that may also need new rubber :)

Have been checking around the comparison sites but will do further investigation today.

Mark
20th April 2008, 08:36
VW engines are not common rail as far as know but they are still extremely well regarded.

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2008, 19:22
What is the per liter price difference between gasoline and diesel fuel in the UK or Europe?

Daniel
20th April 2008, 19:23
What is the per liter price difference between gasoline and diesel fuel in the UK or Europe?
Not much at all.

Daniel
20th April 2008, 19:34
VW engines are not common rail as far as know but they are still extremely well regarded.
True :)

But used VAG cars are overpriced and have generally done a helluva lot of mileage.

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2008, 20:24
Not much at all.

That's odd. The difference in the States is now approaching 20%... diesel being higher. At one time it was cheaper than gasoline.

janneppi
21st April 2008, 09:51
Hereaboutsnistan it's
95 octane 1.4 eur/litre
Diesel 1.25 eur/litre

MrJan
21st April 2008, 13:22
It varies according to which station you go to (to be expected). Petrol now is about 105.9 in my area with diesel around 112/116 mark. That said I passed one place this morning that was 110 for petrol and 121 for diesel which is crazy talk.

Azumanga Davo
21st April 2008, 15:28

But used VAG cars are overpriced and have generally done a helluva lot of mileage.

They tend to have good reliability though.

The VWs and Audis have nifty direct injection diesels (I think it's spreading elsewhere too) and have always regarded them as a superior diesel. Even an older VW/Audi diesel would be a good recommend.

(I would prefer a Detroit Diesel personally, but they don't build big enough cars for them :p ).

MrJan
21st April 2008, 20:11

Always thought that the acronym VAG was a bit inappropriate, especially when you first see it on the forum TidyVAG. I must say that I wasn't expecting a German car appreciation site when I clicked that link ;)

AndyRAC
21st April 2008, 23:43
Mmm, I'm looking for a new car, and recently have thought about a diesel. Anybody know about the Seat Leon diesels? What about the FIAT Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 Multi-Jet diesel?

Daniel
22nd April 2008, 09:51
Mmm, I'm looking for a new car, and recently have thought about a diesel. Anybody know about the Seat Leon diesels? What about the FIAT Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 Multi-Jet diesel?

If it were me I'd go for the Bravo Multijet 150. Another 20 horsies and it won't cost much more since dealers are not selling many Bravo's so you'd be able to squeeze them on price. Bravo looks nicer and is nicer inside too :)

Azumanga Davo
22nd April 2008, 13:45

SEAT diesels are near identical, if not the same, to the VW brand diesels. Apparently to those in the know (the service mechanics, parts people etc.) often said that the SEAT versions were not as well built. I would probably dispute that in these modern days with quality control and the like.

AndyRAC
22nd April 2008, 14:23
SEAT diesels are near identical, if not the same, to the VW brand diesels. Apparently to those in the know (the service mechanics, parts people etc.) often said that the SEAT versions were not as well built. I would probably dispute that in these modern days with quality control and the like.

I had heard that all VAG engines were the same, just badged differently. Certainly when I bought my Seat Ibiza 10 years ago the salesman said the engine was a Golf GTI engine. How true it was I don't know.

Daniel
22nd April 2008, 15:06
I had heard that all VAG engines were the same, just badged differently. Certainly when I bought my Seat Ibiza 10 years ago the salesman said the engine was a Golf GTI engine. How true it was I don't know.
I can't see why they'd be any different at. Usually all of the engines or at least most of the components are made in the same factory. They'll just have a different plastic top cover and perhaps a different ECU mappping.

dc10
3rd May 2008, 23:02
We used to have a Seat Cordoba diesel - it was a fantastic engine (VW Passat engine). Dont know if all Seats use VW engines still.

bowler
4th May 2008, 03:09
VW own SEAT, so all engines are VW