PDA

View Full Version : Who fancies a V8/PuT fun Karting event?

LessThanSte
18th April 2008, 17:38
As the topic suggests, who fancies it?

But this would be different. You see, most fun events like this take place on some, frankly abysmal prokart capable of little more than walking pace and all the grip of a slippery eel in the corners.

The difference here would be half the number of strokes, but twice as much fun.

Club 100 provide a fleet of 2-stroke karts running on top notch birel chassis, based at their workshops at Rye House in Hertfordshire. All you do is turn up, sign on and race away, none of the need to set things up or spend hours perfecting a setup, its all done for you.

They provide the karts used in the British Universities Karting Championship (which finished last weekend for the season), and they also provided the karts used in the Race Against Cancer event last year, to rave reviews from all of the drivers who competed (probably fed up of charity events on the afore mentioned corporate pieces of garbage).

They are, in short, wonderful fun, and significantly cheaper than owner driver karts.

Now they do a range of championship series, from sprints to enduros, but they also run corporate events at Rye House.

So, does anyone fancy it. I think they can do anything but most popular are the sprints. Pricing is around £100 for 2 x 15 minute heats plus a 15-20 minute final, with bubbly and things.

If enough people fancied it (say, 15) we could sort an event out and get a load of the forum people, plus maybe even a few of the V8/PuT drivers, to make a day out of it, possibly extend to a team enduro event for even more fun!

Let me know your thoughts and we'll see what happens!

Henry Cutts
18th April 2008, 18:03
Depends when it is but I would be interested, I did try to sort a Karting event out last year but no one was interested so good luck!

racing59
18th April 2008, 19:46
Count me in (providing the date doesn't clash with something I have to do!).

I'm off there for "testing" on the 23rd (freebie day with a manufacturer of kit that I supply/install for a product launch, and a right ol' beano!)

Otherwise, can I bring the V7? I bet Colin would have a go with his!! He likes tight n' twisty stuff....

Henry Cutts
18th April 2008, 20:00
Count me in (providing the date doesn't clash with something I have to do!).

I'm off there for "testing" on the 23rd (freebie day with a manufacturer of kit that I supply/install for a product launch, and a right ol' beano!)

Otherwise, can I bring the V7? I bet Colin would have a go with his!! He likes tight n' twisty stuff....

Let me know if you need any driving tips!

Should be able to get the car around, they have had a pace car before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErSuVFeTUN4

Tractorboy.
19th April 2008, 13:52
I'm up for it, i'm sure a few of the lads would be to.

scubie
19th April 2008, 16:08
I'd be up for it to, anything for more track time http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/images/smilies/burn%20rubber.gif.

LessThanSte
19th April 2008, 16:24
Wonder if someone could maybe arrange some prizes, like a free ride in the two-seater or something?

Il give C100 a ring next week and try and come up with a provisional date/price!

Would people prefer sprints or an enduro?

The Pits!
19th April 2008, 17:07
Sounds like a good idea....

...maybe even a few of the V8/PuT drivers...! err, maybe not :)

racing59
19th April 2008, 19:05
Wassamatta? Scared? Eh? Eh?

SkidCarrera
20th April 2008, 05:07
I'd be up for that too.

Would be good to maybe bring some ex-series drivers out of the woodwork so Rob and Colin can work on telling them how much fun the circuits are!

Plus wouldn't we all like to see Duane in a kart??

The Pits!
20th April 2008, 11:58
Wassamatta? Scared? Eh? Eh?

Yep, petrified - I've seen them race remember! :)

(better a live coward.......)

Henry Cutts
3rd May 2008, 16:10
any date for this yet?

briggs'mechanic
4th May 2008, 18:14
Count me in I'd be up for it for sure!!!!!!!!

LessThanSte
5th May 2008, 14:43
Oh yes, il ring them tomorrow and get some provisional dates.

One thing that is more or less for certain is that it will be a MID WEEK event, and therefore not on a WEEKEND as Club 100 have enough racing going on at a weekend as it is.

Obviously though if it can be scheduled on a weekend then il try and do that!

Il aim for somewhere around end of june/start of july!

Henry Cutts
11th June 2008, 10:44
Oh yes, il ring them tomorrow and get some provisional dates.

One thing that is more or less for certain is that it will be a MID WEEK event, and therefore not on a WEEKEND as Club 100 have enough racing going on at a weekend as it is.

Obviously though if it can be scheduled on a weekend then il try and do that!

Il aim for somewhere around end of june/start of july!

any news on a date yet?

truckmonster
11th June 2008, 21:52
The Pick up boyz would kick ass!!!!!

Henry Cutts
11th June 2008, 22:50
The Pick up boyz would kick ass!!!!!

That sounds like a challenge!

racing59
12th June 2008, 00:24
OK, though I bet we'd all get our butts whooped by some "karting pro's".

I've never been able to "convert" properly to Karting Spec, and keep doing "saloon car drivery things" out there, which usually costs me lots of time per lap!

But hey, I'm up for the fun, let's see how many laps we can do running side by side!!

More pressing though - WHEN!?!?!?

LessThanSte
16th June 2008, 12:47
Right, sorry for the delay on this!

Ive just spoken to the infamous John Vigor from Club 100 about this event.

The standard single driver per kart package they run is £105 for the following;

10 minute practice
5 minute qualifying
2 x 10 minute heats
15 minute final

Now i asked about a slightly longer final, more like 30 minutes (because, lets face it, longer races are better) and was told that, basically, Club 100 hire out Rye House for 2 hours or so for the day which, with slick turnarounds between races and things generally leaves about 15-20 minutes of free time.

As a result, they would be able to do a longer final, indeed he said he would go as long as he could, for the same price of £105.

The only stipulation on that is that 1) we'd HAVE to be there bang on time, none of this turning up mid briefing etc 2) sensible rolling up laps and 3) no faffing around mid races.

The only stops would therefore basically be for a refill of the tanks, swapping into a different grid position for the next race and general kart maintenance!

So there we have it, the format for the day would be;

10 minute practice
5 minute qualifying (possibly could become superpole style if we asked nicely!)

2 x 10 minute heats (reverse of heat 1 finishing order for heat 2)
15-30 minute final (depending on how quickly we get through the day).

Total time at the track is likely to be around 3 hours, so an afternoon would be sensible if anyone wants to go to work in the morning or whatever.

As regards to dates, it WOULD have to be midweek, with Tuesday to Thursday being preferred. The only other factor is track availability.

So, how many people are interested? I would like to organise it for 12-15 though in reality club 100 have LOTS of karts and could easily go up to 20 odd!

And those of you that are interested, pick a day of the week please :)

(il aim for something around July 23rd!)

cgs
16th June 2008, 14:18
having never actually driven any kind of vehicle (other than a bumper car!) i recon i would be a moving road block, and probably finish last is every race. that said, i would love to get behind the wheel of something and race it! count me in!

(can i have a rookie cross :p )

LessThanSte
16th June 2008, 15:37
Possibly!

Its worth pointing out that if its the first thing your ever going to drive on a track (not even a silly indoor kart before) then you will have a hell of a time getting through one corner, let alone a race, without spinning. They are pretty serious machines.

Oh, i might aswell provide some videos of the karts in action;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEvLL9uxLDU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jC_O7l8jk

Tractorboy.
16th June 2008, 17:26
I'm crap in a kart but i'm in!! Any day or time.

Henry Cutts
16th June 2008, 19:04
Monday, Tuesday or Friday would be better (for me) but any weekday shouldn’t be a problem.

racing59
16th June 2008, 20:05
Note Henry's signature.

Team RobComptonRacing's ringer....

If you can get some possible dates, I'll say what I can/can't do.

Rob.

Henry Cutts
16th June 2008, 20:45
I'm crap in a kart but i'm in!! Any day or time.

I know you have had some practice!

Note Henry's signature.

Team RobComptonRacing's ringer....

If you can get some possible dates, I'll say what I can/can't do.

Rob.

No pressure then!

racing59
16th June 2008, 22:45
Hey, come on, you can be the "Boris Said" of our team!

LessThanSte
17th June 2008, 12:03
OK, il throw a date out there.

Tuesday 29th July

Discuss....

Tractorboy.
17th June 2008, 16:35
Yeah sounds good.

racing59
17th June 2008, 19:13
What time will this occur?
That's the other issue.....

Date seems fine at the moment..

LessThanSte
17th June 2008, 20:33
Anytime, i guess. The only problem would be track availability but theres unlikely to be anything booked for that date just yet!

How about 3PM meet for a 4PM ish start, so you miss the traffic onthe way home?!?

On July 29th!

LessThanSte
22nd June 2008, 17:01
Ive just noticed Henry's link to hoddesdon kart club. So he should know what its all about :P

But anyway, BUMP!

Be nice to get this sorted before mid july!

Henry Cutts
22nd June 2008, 19:28
Ive just noticed Henry's link to hoddesdon kart club. So he should know what its all about :P

But anyway, BUMP!

Be nice to get this sorted before mid july!

What date will we need to have numbers / a deposit to secure that date? I guess they need some notice. If everyone on this thread is still up for it we are up to 7 drivers. We need someone offical to get more driver / team members involved!

Tractorboy.
22nd June 2008, 21:53
I'm definatly in. And team mate Other Neil is there to. so theres 2 from us lot. maybe 3 if Kev comes

racing59
22nd June 2008, 22:04
Looks like I can't do it on that date/time.
Darnit!

LessThanSte
23rd June 2008, 17:47
Wednesday 30th, Rob?

racing59
24th June 2008, 07:16
Can't do anything in July by the looks of it at the mo. My calendar is fluid, but I won't know which day "might" be free until perhaps a day or two before.

Very frustrating.

LessThanSte
24th June 2008, 21:06
Shall we wait til august then or just go ahead with this date and see?!?

Regardless, we really need at least 10 or so!

SkidCarrera
26th June 2008, 19:17
August would be better for me! Well done for trying to organise us lot...bit like herding cats!

LessThanSte
27th June 2008, 15:32
I cant really book anything until the numbers are solid, they wont want to run an event for 8 people (i dont suspect, though they might if i asked nicely enough!).

So july or early august, any preferences?