PDA

View Full Version : Nick D'arcy axed from Oz Swim Team

millencolin
18th April 2008, 15:02
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23559363-5016213,00.html

It's official, John Coates (boss of the AOC) has axed Nick D'arcy over the alleged bar fight with fellow swimmer Simon Cowley and will not participate in the Beijing games.

I see a big problem in this. Now I am not one who encourages violence or accepts it, but the fact is that this is an 'alleged' incident. Don't we live in a society where we are innocent until proved guilty? This 'incident' will be heard before the court of law early next week, yet Coates has decided to cut him for 'bringing the sport into disripute' today. Why not wait till the court hearing is over?

I see this as a perfect example of 'trial by media'. Do we know if Nick D'arcy did this alleged bashing? No we don't. But from what the media has showed us and portrayed him as, he appears to be nothing but a thug! Normally I would be weary of athletes blaming the media, but not in this case.

The AOC and John Coates should be ashamed. In 'society's opinion, this man is still innocent. If the trial says that Nick is not guilty, then will he be let back into the side? Will Coates be a stubborn prick and not let him back because he brings the team into 'disripute'. If he is found guilty, why coulndn't the AOC wait and then base their desicion on they verdict.

Shame John... Bloody Shame

Valve Bounce
18th April 2008, 23:06
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23559363-5016213,00.html

It's official, John Coates (boss of the AOC) has axed Nick D'arcy over the alleged bar fight with fellow swimmer Simon Cowley and will not participate in the Beijing games.

I see a big problem in this. Now I am not one who encourages violence or accepts it, but the fact is that this is an 'alleged' incident. Don't we live in a society where we are innocent until proved guilty? This 'incident' will be heard before the court of law early next week, yet Coates has decided to cut him for 'bringing the sport into disripute' today. Why not wait till the court hearing is over?

I see this as a perfect example of 'trial by media'. Do we know if Nick D'arcy did this alleged bashing? No we don't. But from what the media has showed us and portrayed him as, he appears to be nothing but a thug! Normally I would be weary of athletes blaming the media, but not in this case.

The AOC and John Coates should be ashamed. In 'society's opinion, this man is still innocent. If the trial says that Nick is not guilty, then will he be let back into the side? Will Coates be a stubborn prick and not let him back because he brings the team into 'disripute'. If he is found guilty, why coulndn't the AOC wait and then base their desicion on they verdict.

Shame John... Bloody Shame

You do know that the alleged incident occurred during a team celebration, in front of dozens of witnesses, don't you?

The AOC carried out their own investigation, and there was more than enough evidence to prove to their satisfaction that D'Arcy busted the guys face with a king hit.

I'm glad D'Arcy got chucked out - the guy had history also.
The fact the guy is a banana bender has not influenced me in any way.

By the way, he does have the right of appeal.

Valve Bounce
19th April 2008, 00:57
Yesterday, Cowley's sister said the family would not be making any comment about D'Arcy's axing. Cowley has had his jaw wired shut following extensive reconstructive surgery, including the insertion of five facial plates.

and

Mr Coates said D'Arcy had signed the Olympic team agreement several months ago. It was co-signed by his mother. Mr Coates also considered D'Arcy's conduct in regard to other incidents.

These include a fight involving Mooloolaba ironman Tim Peach 18 months ago, and D'Arcy's involvement in the vandalising of the home of Olympian Ray Boyd two years ago. Mr Coates said he had considered confidential submissions that D'Arcy provided.