PDA

View Full Version : Power Cuts

RaikkonenRules
19th January 2007, 20:57
Last night at about 4pm my power went out due to the strong winds. Most of Nottinghamshire lost power. My power was out until 4pm today. A power cut lasting 24 hours! :mad:

Anyone else had power cuts recently.

schmenke
19th January 2007, 21:14
Not to belittle the damage caused by the horrific winds in Europe lately, but I've endured power interruptions lasting several days :mark:

Relax, light a few candles, plays some Parcheezy... a few hours without the 'net won't hurt you ;)

lilmelvschilton
24th January 2007, 10:42
we never had a powercut, but i got stuck in traffic as parts of preston were grid locked completely

555-04Q2
24th January 2007, 11:41
Last night at about 4pm my power went out due to the strong winds. Most of Nottinghamshire lost power. My power was out until 4pm today. A power cut lasting 24 hours! :mad:

We have 3 to 4 power cuts every month :(

Daniel
24th January 2007, 14:30

I'm sorry but it's hard to be angry about the power going off when the wind blows that hard. In Australia we used to get about 2-4 powercuts a year depending upon the weather. Then sometimes in summer due to the fact that there wasn't enough generation capacity there would be rolling outages across the city because too many people had their air conditioning on chewing up power.

We recently had the power off at our place for a few hours because a wire had sparked for so long that it burnt through and almost set the fusebox alight. Luckily Caroline's dad is an electrician and sorted it in a few hours (he was conveniently coming over for dinner that night :crazy: ) but if not for him we'd have been SOL for a few more hours for sure.

MadCat
24th January 2007, 14:33

I thought it was a bit quiet round here :p :

schmenke
24th January 2007, 15:06
Having access to consistent, reliable electricity is something that many of us take for granted. There are millions, if not billions, of people world-wide that still consider this a luxury.

harsha
24th January 2007, 15:09
^^^^ yeah you people are too spoiled :p :

can't imagine most of you people living in India where there are almost daily power cuts in the summer :D

Firstgear
24th January 2007, 18:25
Last power outage I remember here was a couple of years ago. It knocked a couple of blocks of our downtown out for a couple of hours.

The good news - I got the afternoon off work.

The bad news - I had to use vacation time to do it.

The cause - A squirrel in a transformer box. (guess he licked the wrong wire - bet he won't be doing that again)

NoahsGirl
24th January 2007, 19:07
I was at a friends house on Hogamanay and we saw in 2007 by candle light having to chat to each other. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

RaikkonenRules
24th January 2007, 20:13
The cause - A squirrel in a transformer box. (guess he licked the wrong wire - bet he won't be doing that again)

Yeah because the squirrel will most likely be daed after an encounter with one of those dreaded transformer boxes. :p :

J4MIE
24th January 2007, 21:18
Yeah because the squirrel will most likely be daed after an encounter with one of those dreaded transformer boxes. :p :

Nothing gets past you :up:

Daniel
24th January 2007, 21:18
Mind like a steel trap that one ;)