PDA

View Full Version : Victory from a lap behind?

woody2goody
17th April 2008, 07:11
I know that races have been won after either starting at the back or dropping to the back of the field during the race, but has a Grand Prix ever been won after the eventual winner had fallen a lap down at any point?

ShiftingGears
17th April 2008, 07:16
I know that races have been won after either starting at the back or dropping to the back of the field during the race, but has a Grand Prix ever been won after the eventual winner had fallen a lap down at any point?

Suzuka '88... Senna stalled at the start line. First one off the top of my head. I like circuits where the real great drivers have that ability to make up huge amounts of time.

markabilly
17th April 2008, 07:19
jim clark monza-sat on pole, started race ran a number of laps, then had a flat, came out in last place, a lap behind everyone, regained the lead by a large margin, only to run out of gas on about the last lap due to the fact that he was driving so fast, the fuel came up short a couple of gallons compared to what was planned.

1967--when real men raced, no wings and no passing in the pits.

i should know, i saw him drive.

woody2goody
17th April 2008, 07:50
So he was very close to winning from a lap down and very unlucky. That must have been a superhuman effort.

SGWilko
17th April 2008, 09:27
jim clark monza-sat on pole, started race ran a number of laps, then had a flat, came out in last place, a lap behind everyone, regained the lead by a large margin, only to run out of gas on about the last lap due to the fact that he was driving so fast, the fuel came up short a couple of gallons compared to what was planned.

1967--when real men raced, no wings and no passing in the pits.

i should know, i saw him drive.

You are lucky to have seen races in the proper 'good ole days'

Can I be so bold as to ask how old you were then? (feel free to tell me to go jump!) ;)

ShiftingGears
17th April 2008, 09:32
So he was very close to winning from a lap down and very unlucky. That must have been a superhuman effort.

He also won Spa 1963 by almost 5 minutes - or 8 miles, in other words.

markabilly
17th April 2008, 12:57
You are lucky to have seen races in the proper 'good ole days'

Can I be so bold as to ask how old you were then? (feel free to tell me to go jump!) ;)
Not as old as Easy Drifter ;)

17th April 2008, 13:42
Kylami, South African GP in 1982. Alain Prost was leading, had a puncture which dropped him a lap down at half distance.

He won.