PDA

View Full Version : CCWS enters the realm of F1

gloomyDAY
16th April 2008, 18:40
Boost button? (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66676)

Funny how I've read posts on F1 forums of people ridiculing Champ Car for having a boost button, but now that may be the only solution to see a freakin' pass in F1.

I never understood why the FIA is introducing KERS because it's a silly idea. There are other methods of developing "green" technology. Having an engine freeze does not help since it hinders the development of more fuel-efficient technology.

What's your take?

ioan
16th April 2008, 19:00

Funny how I've read posts on F1 forums of people ridiculing Champ Car for having a boost button, but now that may be the only solution to see a freakin' pass in F1.

I never understood why the FIA is introducing KERS because it's a silly idea. There are other methods of developing "green" technology. Having an engine freeze does not help since it hinders the development of more fuel-efficient technology.

What's your take?

There is overtaking in F1, and next season it will be even more given slicks and less aero.

F1 is all about technical excellence and money. Those who have the money will get the expertise and they will have the fastest cars.
Now that Bernie wants more money F1 has become a show with rules being changed almost as often as underwear.
A more stable regulation would ultimately level out the fields competitiveness. The rule changes do not allow for that because every time there is a rule change the smaller teams will fall behind again and the team that gets it right will run away with the wins.

veeten
16th April 2008, 20:26
nah, more like 'variations on a theme'. :s

Becoming more like Stock Cars, actually,... where the engines, chassis, Tires(or tyres), and now ECUs have made the game more monotonous in the technical areas.

That's why I like the direction that ALMS & ACO(LMS) are going, with Bio- & Low Sulfur Deisels, Alternative fuels, Hybrid systems and other types of creative ideas. :)

you know, what Formula 1 used to be like...

wedge
16th April 2008, 23:59

What's your take?

Personally never had a problem with P-P boost but F1 is a conservative and elitist category compared to others.

KERS is the future, Ross Brawn said recently the challenge will come from smaller energy cells that can store more power.

If F1 wanted to be adventurous then they could use hydrogen fuel cells.....

millencolin
17th April 2008, 01:08
Compulsory Option Tyres, Boost Button, New Street Races at night...

Sounds familiar :p :

ShiftingGears
17th April 2008, 01:59

What's your take?

LAME!

Boost buttons were gimmicky in Champ Car and it will be gimmicky now. I want to see passes reliant on driver talent not button pressing.

gloomyDAY
17th April 2008, 02:58
There is overtaking in F1, and next season it will be even more given slicks and less aero.

F1 is all about technical excellence and money. Those who have the money will get the expertise and they will have the fastest cars.
Now that Bernie wants more money F1 has become a show with rules being changed almost as often as underwear.
A more stable regulation would ultimately level out the fields competitiveness. The rule changes do not allow for that because every time there is a rule change the smaller teams will fall behind again and the team that gets it right will run away with the wins.I know there is some overtaking and next year's rules will bring tighter racing, hopefully. I'm just not sure what you're link with money grubbing Bernie has to do with KERS.

I will say this, Bernie is a greedy jerk.

LAME!

Boost buttons were gimmicky in Champ Car and it will be gimmicky now. I want to see passes reliant on driver talent not button pressing.
I've never had a problem with the boost button in CCWS, but stealing an idea from another series that was previously scorned by Bernie is hypocritical. The more crap F1 needs to get rid of, the more crap comes piling in.

wedge
17th April 2008, 13:22
LAME!

But there is an element of driver management behind it, like changing boost pressure or engine maps for overtaking vs. conservation.

call_me_andrew
17th April 2008, 23:31
Well they already took the alternate tire idea from Champ Car.

And some teams have used boost buttons already. Williams used one when they had Cosworth engines. It's hard to say how much input on engine mapping teams have with a common PCM.

airshifter
17th April 2008, 23:40
From the link:

"Then, in 2013 the new engine would also allow exhaust energy recovery."

Too bad it won't be turbos. Then we could progress back to the future. :)