PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Aerodynamic Regulations

woody2goody
16th April 2008, 18:16
With all this talk about the regulations and the teams testing them out as we speak, I was wondering whether these regulations really have the potential to reinvigorate Formula One.

Is there any substance to claims that racing will be improved significantly?

Will these regulations be able to create exciting racing?

ioan
16th April 2008, 18:49
Combined with the comeback of slick tires it might really give fans what they strive for, more overtaking opportunities.

woody2goody
16th April 2008, 18:56
I hope so. After all, it's the lack of opportunities that really annoys me. The drivers can overtake when given the chance, but that chance doesn't come often enough any more.

Allyc85
16th April 2008, 22:29
But half the time the races are boring because the cars are spread out and not closly bunched up with similar lap times. I dont mind a race where the cars are close together on track.

woody2goody
16th April 2008, 23:39
Yeah at least in Bahrain the top cars were pretty close together and they were all coming back at each other, it was really interesting and exciting to watch. Even though they weren't really close to each other, it was great to see 4 cars going flat out to win for the whole race.

ShiftingGears
17th April 2008, 02:03
But half the time the races are boring because the cars are spread out and not closly bunched up with similar lap times. I dont mind a race where the cars are close together on track.

I'm still annoyed that Imola is off the calendar. '05 and '06 were tense.

Anyway the cars not being bunched up is not an issue for me - thats just how it is. That is up to the teams to get themselves closer to each other. My problem is when the cars are so reliant on aero that it gives them an aerodynamic buffer through corners so they can't get close to each other. Theres less of an opportunity to pass when the cars are bunched up. And then we end up with Tilke circuits to get around this problem. Eurgh.

waitey
17th April 2008, 02:08
was schumacher running 09' levels of downforce today? I know he was running the slicks. But his times were very quick. Kubica too who in some photos looks to be running with 09' levels of downforce. If this is the case, I think the cars could be even quicker next season. Yes there is a loss of downforce, but no doubt they will produce it in a different way if they can. And with the return of slicks giving so much more mechanical grip, I'm sure cornering speeds will be just as fast but straight line speed higher.

So I'm predicting the cars to be running similar lap times, just that it could produce better racing if the car behind can follow better. But tyre warmers should not be banned I don't think.

But yes, just curious, what will the performance of the car be like in 09'?

ShiftingGears
17th April 2008, 02:19
was schumacher running 09' levels of downforce today? I know he was running the slicks. But his times were very quick.

Michael Schumacher again returned to the cockpit of a Formula One car and set the second fastest time of the day for Ferrari.

He spent the day sampling different types of Bridgestone slick tyres in a version of the F2008 that had been modified to simulate the level of downforce expected next season.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66676

Tazio
17th April 2008, 04:30
But half the time the races are boring because the cars are spread out and not closly bunched up with similar lap times. I dont mind a race where the cars are close together on track.I think The idea is that if, and when cars are running in tight formation, there won't be the the amount of disturbed air around each car thus allowing passing by faster cars(or cars that set up a pass) possible in close quarters at highspeed corners and such!

woody2goody
17th April 2008, 04:56
I don't think you will get as much of a field spreading effect at the start of the races. So now after 5 laps or so the gap to about 8th or 10th place is between 15 and 20 secs, maybe in 09 it will be reduced to 10-15 secs.

What we want is close racing between the leaders, and not just in the midfield and with cars coming through from the back of the field.

Tazio
24th April 2008, 08:29
Before anybody get's their panties in a bunch I'm a Ferrari fan and always back who they have behind the wheel!

I just think some of this artical is kind of like No Duh, and, ironic! Massa liking more grip! there's a news flash!
http://www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-news/massa-ferrari-even-gripier-with-09-aero-regs/

"Felipe Massa is ecstatic with the level of grip afforded from his Ferrari even with adaptations that anticipate next year’s aerodynamic restrictions.

The Brazilian ran a modified version of his F2008 at the four-day Barcelona test last week in preperation for 2009 which will see greater aerodynamic constraints imposed on the teams as well as the re-introduction of slick tyres.

Massa was astonished by the level of grip that was available to him despite running with reduced downforce." ;)

ShiftingGears
24th April 2008, 09:14
I can't think of anyone who doesn't like the increased mechanical grip of the slicks!

ioan
24th April 2008, 09:58
I can't think of anyone who doesn't like the increased mechanical grip of the slicks!

Exactly! We are talking about F1 not drifting.

ShiftingGears
24th April 2008, 10:40
Exactly! We are talking about F1 not drifting.

Although, having said that, the decreased aero would hopefully increase a cars propensity to get sideways in cornering.

ioan
24th April 2008, 12:05
Although, having said that, the decreased aero would hopefully increase a cars propensity to get sideways in cornering.

Sure it will, but having increased mechanical grip will allow the drivers to control the sliding, plus they might even expect it.
For now they have lots of aero grip but this one is so much relied on that an unexpected lack of it means they lose control, and the mechanical grip isn't there to help them regain control of the car.

PS: And the fastest way through a corner will be the one without the sliding! ;)

ShiftingGears
24th April 2008, 12:11
Sure it will, but having increased mechanical grip will allow the drivers to control the sliding, plus they might even expect it.
For now they have lots of aero grip but this one is so much relied on that an unexpected lack of it means they lose control, and the mechanical grip isn't there to help them regain control of the car.

Yeah but when the drivers lose control theres theoretically more of a chance to save it. And I think that was a point raised when grooved tyres were reintroduced in '98. In any case, its more spectacular than seeing cars going straight from sticking like glue to spinning ;)

PS: And the fastest way through a corner will be the one without the sliding! ;)

Of course...but noones perfect ;)

wedge
24th April 2008, 13:02

I'm personally unsure of slicks.

A race car should have more power than grip so I don't see how getting rid of aero grip and then giving back the same level of grip in tyres will help make matters better.

IMHO F1 relies too much with fancy electronics so you should, IMO, compensate this with grooved tyres.

But it's all theory and BS and I'm happy to be proven wrong because I would love to see F1 cars following each other more closely.

Also worth mentioning is that there's a bit of freedom with the undertray and diffusers which I only just found out - HOORAY!!!

ShiftingGears
25th April 2008, 02:04
I'm personally unsure of slicks.

A race car should have more power than grip so I don't see how getting rid of aero grip and then giving back the same level of grip in tyres will help make matters better.

IMHO F1 relies too much with fancy electronics so you should, IMO, compensate this with grooved tyres.

But it's all theory and BS and I'm happy to be proven wrong because I would love to see F1 cars following each other more closely.

Also worth mentioning is that there's a bit of freedom with the undertray and diffusers which I only just found out - HOORAY!!!

It'll probably work towards having more passing opportunities because the grip wont be as dependant on the lack of dirty wake between the cars. (ie Kimi following Hamilton at Hungary)

wedge
27th April 2008, 23:45
But cars not following each other much closer is more of an aero issue so slicks won't make a big difference?

ShiftingGears
28th April 2008, 00:16
But cars not following each other much closer is more of an aero issue so slicks won't make a big difference?

It's still an aero issue - but increasing the mechanical grip and decreasing the aero dependancy will minimise the effect of the dirty wake.

Of course, they could solve the problem almost completely by ditching the wings but they've preferred something less radical.

winer
28th April 2008, 02:41
It's still an aero issue - but increasing the mechanical grip and decreasing the aero dependancy will minimise the effect of the dirty wake.
Of course, they could solve the problem almost completely by ditching the wings but they've preferred something less radical.

Because of the dependency on aerodynamics, the cars tend to become unstable when following too close, that is, when the car is sitting in the "dirty" air coming from the car in front. Wit decreased downforce, wheels tend to lock under braking, understeer or oversteer becomes more pronounced, and the cars do not accelerate as quickly when power is applied when exiting a corner.
Next year, with the reduced effect of aerodynamics, cars will be slower through the corners. The increased mechanical grip of slick tires will help to offset that to some extent.