PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree? 50 Worst Cars Of All Time!

KarenCaren
16th April 2008, 07:02
I was searching for the worst car in the net. The good google gave me a site with 50 worst car of all time.

here is the list. What do you think?

1899-1939

* 1899 Horsey Horseless
* 1909 Ford Model T
* 1911 Overland OctoAuto
* 1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
* 1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
* 1933 Fuller Dymaxion
* 1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow

1940-1959

* 1949 Crosley Hotshot
* 1956 Renault Dauphine
* 1957 King Midget Model III
* 1957 Waterman Aerobile
* 1958 Ford Edsel
* 1958 Lotus Elite
* 1958 MGA Twin Cam
* 1958 Zunndapp Janus

1960-1974

* 1961 Amphicar
* 1961 Corvair
* 1966 Peel Trident
* 1970 AMC Gremlin
* 1970 Triumph Stag
* 1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop
* 1971 Ford Pinto
* 1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III

1975-1989

* 1975 Bricklin SV1
* 1975 Morgan Plus 8 Propane
* 1975 Triumph TR7
* 1975 Trabant
* 1976 Aston Martin Lagonda
* 1976 Chevy Chevette
* 1978 AMC Pacer
* 1980 Corvette 305 "California"
* 1980 Ferrari Mondial 8
* 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V-8-6-4
* 1981 De Lorean DMC-12
* 1982 Cadillac Cimarron
* 1982 Camaro Iron Duke
* 1984 Maserati Biturbo
* 1985 Mosler Consulier GTP
* 1985 Yugo GV
* 1986 Lamborghini LM002

1990-Present

* 1995 Ford Explorer
* 1997 GM EV1
* 1997 Plymouth Prowler
* 1998 Fiat Multipla
* 2000 Ford Excursion
* 2001 Jaguar X-Type
* 2001 Pontiac Aztek
* 2002 BMW 7-series
* 2003 Hummer H2
* 2004 Chevy SSR

Magnus
16th April 2008, 08:21
Well; it depends and depends and depends... Environmentally speaking it looks like a good list. If I had bad self esteem it would be a list over the best cars.

leopard
16th April 2008, 09:25
Diligent observation.

Seems we can't categorize cars produced in the past as worse model unless they are compared to those produced at the same era.
It also depends on taste which each person might have it vary.

From your list for 1995-present cars
1. 1995 Ford Explorer
2. 1997 GM EV1
3. 1997 Plymouth Prowler
4. 1998 Fiat Multipla
5. 2000 Ford Excursion
6. 2001 Jaguar X-Type
7. 2001 Pontiac Aztek
8. 2002 BMW 7-series
9. 2003 Hummer H2
10. 2004 Chevy SSR

I would agree to No 2, 3, 4 and maybe no 10 also.

No 1, 5, 6, 7 are standard. I didn't see them terrible, BMW I see them otherwise, they have better shape on the grille than Jaguar.

No 9, Not much people with this taste but I like muscular car like Hummer.

No 7, Mazda has 323F the better shape that I think similar to Pontiac Aztec

http://www.designercars.dk/biler/Mazda-323F-9.jpg

Marshall
16th April 2008, 10:11
I hate it how the Fiat Multipla makes these lists - ok it looks funny but I think its great simply because of the completely new approach Fiat took to the design.

The fact they actually had the guts to put it into production I think should earn them a lot of respect.

maxu05
16th April 2008, 13:36
They forgot about the Morris Marina, Honda Zot, Suzuki Mighty Boy, and for Aussies, the Holden Camira (though I know this was GM's 'J' car world platform).

Azumanga Davo
16th April 2008, 14:00
Some names there are absolutely terrible names for an automobile, and that would reflect on the opinions of car owners and how they rate their rides.

Some people also have many ideas of what they like in a car. I've always liked a car to have a strong presence, with angry looks up front and something to back that up under the hood. And that's why the Trabant is not my favourite either. :p :

inimitablestoo
16th April 2008, 19:41
I'd reprieve the TR7 (I had a model when I was younger and loved how it looked completely different to everything else), the X-Type (sure it's no E-Type, but it's a decent motor) and maybe the 7-series (if they want to pick on an ugly car, stick the Renault 11 in).

While we're at it, the Alfa Romeo Arna deserves a place on the list and - although I love the Smart - I'd say the Smart Crossblade too.

COD
16th April 2008, 20:07
Also would add Vauxhall Viva, 70's Taunus, Austin Allegro?, Citroen Visa and BX, Skoda 120L and many more....

MrJan
16th April 2008, 20:33
I hate it how the Fiat Multipla makes these lists - ok it looks funny but I think its great simply because of the completely new approach Fiat took to the design.

The fact they actually had the guts to put it into production I think should earn them a lot of respect.

:up: :up: :up:

I hate the blooming things but have to agree that the principle behind them is excellent and that they are obviously very, very good cars.

And what about a mention for that Ligier thing that is more like a scooter for the handicapped?

As for the rest of the list most of it is American stuff that I haven't heard of but assume it must all be pretty rubbish, I mean I dislike most of the American stuff that is succesful enough to be sold over here so the other stuff must be really bad :p :

Daniel
16th April 2008, 22:03

Agreed. At the end of the day it's a people carrier and a darn good one at that.

People these days can't stomach something unless it's tacky with lexus lights and a body kit or German unt boring unt bland ja?

Powered by Cosworth
16th April 2008, 22:45
Aston Martin Lagonda? Maserati Biturbo? Naaah :p

philipbain
16th April 2008, 23:01
I think that if you want properly shoddy bits of automotive design that the United States is the place to go. Yes, there are some celebrated US cars, but these by the standards of the rest of the world are just about acceptable, most of the rest offer a uniquely terrible combination of terrible design, terrible build quality, terrible quality of materials and terrible driving dynamics!

And then some wonder why GM and Ford are losing money at an alarming rate...

Rollo
16th April 2008, 23:31
1909 Ford Model T
Bit puzzled by this one. This is one the most important cars ever built. The Model T was "the" production line car; for it to be on the list of the 50 worst cars ever built, then that's 15,000,000 mistakes.

1958 Lotus Elite
A car that won Le Mans in class six times? Get outa here.

1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III
The E-Type? Grant that the grille looks a wee bit odd, but those noises under the hood are amongst the most glorious ever to come from a motor car. Jaguar V12s generally aren't known for their reliability, but this is easily overcome provided you're prepared look after them.

1976 Chevy Chevette
Otherwise sold as the Vauxhall Chevette, Opel Kadett, Isuzu Gemini and the Holden Gemini. Maybe this says more about the fact that American build quality is ****house. This yet again proves the theory, as everyone else in the world built this as a cheap and reliable motor car.
I admit that my particular example was rather a bit ****e, but then again I only paid £350 for it, so I suppose you can't expect much from a then 14 year old car.

1997 GM EV1
I don't know how this made it onto the list. It can't be through consumer feedback can it? So who knows? GM killed it... *******s.

1998 Fiat Multipla
Ugliness beaten up with its own stick. If I was a tradesperson, I would be buying one of these, because the kit under the hood is perfectly fine... and no other bugger wants one.

leopard
17th April 2008, 04:03
Fiat Uno is another choice, it is safe to park it anywhere :D

ProfOak
7th May 2008, 05:48
It's silly to say the model Tis no good because any faults compared to other cars of the time have to be ignored because of the price and the revolution it inspired

pino
7th May 2008, 05:53
Fiat Multipla is one of the best car ever made, and should not be in this list :mad: ;)

Daniel
7th May 2008, 07:18
Fiat Multipla is one of the best car ever made, and should not be in this list :mad: ;)
People just aren't ready for cars which have actually been designed Pino :p

Mark
7th May 2008, 07:51
Most of the cars on that list I've never heard of.

I think Lada Riva deserves a mention though. Although it was cheap as chips to buy.. but didn't half cost you in fuel.

BDunnell
7th May 2008, 10:18

I was just going to say the same. All the magazines at the time seemed to quite like the way it drove, too.

BDunnell
7th May 2008, 10:23
Oh, and what about the Lancia Beta, the unreliability of which contributed so much to the public's poor perception of Italian cars for many, many years, and which probably helped doom Lancia in the UK?

Magnus
7th May 2008, 10:41
Volvo 300-series and 400-series should be on the list...

Azumanga Davo
7th May 2008, 10:48
* 1980 Corvette 305 "California"

Oi, there you go again, plugging 'Vettes.

Although it's on the correct list this time. ;)

PS Sorry, just noticed that one.

Z34teen
7th May 2008, 13:37
what the hell are you on? crack?

The GM EV1 was on the verge of revolutionizing the way Americans drive but GM killed it because it was a threat to the oil industry with it's electric motor and battery pack!

Now replace that on the list with any of the 1990's Geo Metro's and I'll agree with you there!

leopard
8th May 2008, 03:41
Volvo 300-series and 400-series should be on the list...

Women would always love Volvo, Volvo 400 is not exempted, It has wide range of ability to make up style upside down.

Azumanga Davo
8th May 2008, 15:17
what the hell are you on? crack?

The GM EV1 was on the verge of revolutionizing the way Americans drive but GM killed it because it was a threat to the oil industry with it's electric motor and battery pack!

Now replace that on the list with any of the 1990's Geo Metro's and I'll agree with you there!

Subtlety is the key. ;)

My own addition to the list would be cars that had very much seen their best days out with their first manufacturer, but are then licenced out to be built poorly by others (i.e. Them Daewoos that were Vauxhall Astras (I forgot the name), and anything sold under Russian Chevrolet sales people (Lanos reduced to one star rating I believe, or still at two after 11 years).

inimitablestoo
8th May 2008, 20:08
Them Daewoos that were Vauxhall Astras (I forgot the name)Nexia in the UK, Cielo I think elsewhere. Also turned up, rather implausibly, as a Pontiac Le Mans at some point :s

Azumanga Davo
9th May 2008, 09:34
Nexia in the UK, Cielo I think elsewhere. Also turned up, rather implausibly, as a Pontiac Le Mans at some point :s

Yes, thank you for Cielo, that's the word I was looking for.

Pontiac Le Mans, eh? That's... um, a worrying choice for a good name...

Daniel
9th May 2008, 09:35
Yes, thank you for Cielo, that's the word I was looking for.

Pontiac Le Mans, eh? That's... um, a worrying choice for a good name...
Can't you just imagine it streaming down the Mulsanne straight at near on 400 clicks? :D

Azumanga Davo
9th May 2008, 17:53
Can't you just imagine it streaming down the Mulsanne straight at near on 400 clicks? :D

Imagining that those clicks are the noises from all the bits falling off, I can actually. :D

And they said Cadillac's LMP was no good... :p :

BDunnell
10th May 2008, 15:08

Yeah, in Gulf colours, Jo Siffert at the wheel...

Allyc85
11th May 2008, 00:48
Why isnt the Rover 216 in there? I hate my car soo much!!

Azumanga Davo
11th May 2008, 15:13
Why isnt the Rover 216 in there? I hate my car soo much!!

Seconded no question. ;)

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 18:19

It's a really good car regardless of the looks.

Azumanga Davo
12th May 2008, 16:39
FIAT are definitely on the up again, making some solid and strong cars that are popular and potentially iconic (the 500 I reckon is cool)

Daniel
12th May 2008, 18:25
FIAT are definitely on the up again, making some solid and strong cars that are popular and potentially iconic (the 500 I reckon is cool)

Definitely. The only problem is the Bravo is a bit of a flop here. But then again people have never really bought Fiats bigger than a Punto in great numbers. Bit sad really because the Bravo is a really nice car. Means you can get Bravo's cheap as new cars.

Jag_Warrior
14th May 2008, 04:46
1909 Ford Model T
Bit puzzled by this one. This is one the most important cars ever built. The Model T was "the" production line car; for it to be on the list of the 50 worst cars ever built, then that's 15,000,000 mistakes.

1958 Lotus Elite
A car that won Le Mans in class six times? Get outa here.

1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III
The E-Type? Grant that the grille looks a wee bit odd, but those noises under the hood are amongst the most glorious ever to come from a motor car. Jaguar V12s generally aren't known for their reliability, but this is easily overcome provided you're prepared look after them.

I haven't read through the list to see what criteria was used to build it. But the cars that you listed above... I also don't see how they could have made a 50 Worst List - especially not the Model T or the Series III E-type.

Many of the basic production techniques developed by Ford for the Model T are still in use today. I just can't see how it could be on a 50 Worst list! The E-type? Again, whoever included this one must be part of some alternate reality. The Series III was not the most sporting of the E-type series, and one could say that it had "jumped the shark" from what it was intended to be. But still, other than the same electronic gremlins that plagued most British cars of that period, this was not a bad car!

Me, I would prefer to push an overheating V12 Series III XKE than drive some of the cars that are probably on the 50 Best list. Drive a minivan (of any brand) or push an E-type in the driving rain? I'll push the Jag. Just find me a leggy girl who can steer.

Azumanga Davo
14th May 2008, 12:01
I can't stand the E-Type personally. Not aesthetically pleasing to my eye at all.

Daniel
14th May 2008, 12:06
I can't stand the E-Type personally. Not aesthetically pleasing to my eye at all.
Extremely overrated by the British press IMHO. If we're talking that sort of period give me a DB4 of a DB5 anyday.

DBell
14th May 2008, 23:51
I haven't read through the list to see what criteria was used to build it. But the cars that you listed above... I also don't see how they could have made a 50 Worst List - especially not the Model T or the Series III E-type.

Many of the basic production techniques developed by Ford for the Model T are still in use today. I just can't see how it could be on a 50 Worst list! The E-type? Again, whoever included this one must be part of some alternate reality. The Series III was not the most sporting of the E-type series, and one could say that it had "jumped the shark" from what it was intended to be. But still, other than the same electronic gremlins that plagued most British cars of that period, this was not a bad car!

Me, I would prefer to push an overheating V12 Series III XKE than drive some of the cars that are probably on the 50 Best list. Drive a minivan (of any brand) or push an E-type in the driving rain? I'll push the Jag. Just find me a leggy girl who can steer.

Jag, this looks like the list that came out in Time magazine a while back. It was written with a slanted point of view.Some of the cars on the list were there because of what they represented environmentally to this writer. The Model T was there because it was the first car for the masses, thus kicking of the fossil burning car era. The Explorer was there because it represented the start of the SUV era in America. I don't remember why the E-type was on it.

I thought it was a crap article then and after being reminded of it, I haven't changed my opinion.

Jag_Warrior
15th May 2008, 02:51
Jag, this looks like the list that came out in Time magazine a while back. It was written with a slanted point of view.Some of the cars on the list were there because of what they represented environmentally to this writer. The Model T was there because it was the first car for the masses, thus kicking of the fossil burning car era. The Explorer was there because it represented the start of the SUV era in America. I don't remember why the E-type was on it.

I thought it was a crap article then and after being reminded of it, I haven't changed my opinion.

The E-type probably represented conspicuous consumption to this fruit.

I agree. Thanks for the heads up on the basis of the article.

BrentJackson
28th May 2008, 13:32
Why would the E-type or the Prowler show up on the list?

Some of them unquestionably are among the biggest pieces of **** ever built, but some of those cars clearly are just based on personal opinions. I know a person who loves the Aztek and swears by them, he's on his third right now.

Jag_Warrior
31st May 2008, 14:11
Why would the E-type or the Prowler show up on the list?

The author of the list is a gay, left-wing tree hugger, who rides a 1 cylinder moped to his part-time job at the library.

Just my guess... :dozey:

Daniel
31st May 2008, 20:32
The author of the list is a gay, left-wing tree hugger, who rides a 1 cylinder moped to his part-time job at the library.

Just my guess... :dozey:
I dislike the E-Type and I'm neither of those things :)

ShiftingGears
31st May 2008, 23:52
I dislike the E-Type and I'm neither of those things :)

But you wouldn't put it on a 50 worst cars of all time list, would you?

Jag_Warrior
1st June 2008, 03:58
Jeopardy music begins playing... :D