PDA

View Full Version : Wheat free food???

BGilbert
16th April 2008, 01:58
Ive got an alergic reaction to wheat, so any decent things out there to eat?

maxu05
16th April 2008, 05:22
Rice or corn can be great substitutes for wheat. Try and Google wheat free recipes.

Daniel
16th April 2008, 11:20
The girlfriend's wheat intolerant so I will ask her what she has. Can't remember off the top of my head :)

Holland and Barret are good for things like Jaffa Cakes and other small cakes and things. Sainsburys sell Dove Farms wheat free flour which is a good enough substitute for thickening sauces and such. It makes bread, not as nice as wheaty bread but it's OK when toasted.

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/glutenfree/
Sainsburys tends to have a Free From section which is where most of the wheat free stuff tends to be but it's worth walking up and down the aisles to see what is and what isn't wheat free. Asda and Tesco have similar sections too.

Gluten free pasta tends to be fine as long as you have some cheese or sauce with it and cook it properly in salted boiling water for the right amount of time as it tends to fall apart when cooked for too short a time and tends to be horrible when undercooked.

A lot of rye bread is also naturally wheat free also.

Are you actually allergic to wheat or are you just intolerant? Intolerant is better as you can still have a little wheat in your diet. But forget things like having a normal sandwich or a pizza. The frozen bases that Sainsburys sell are good for taking into Pizza Hut who will happily cook a pizza for you :) I would reccomend defrosting the base first though as it helps a lot.

MrJan
16th April 2008, 13:25
3 people in my Mums family have ceoliac (sp?) disease which means that they can't eat Gluten. There are several companies that make special food but I believe that Dietery Specialities make the best. Their bread rolls are superb and I think are wheat free too.

Try places like Boots and pharmacies :)

Storm
16th April 2008, 13:44
Rice ?

Daniel
16th April 2008, 13:52
3 people in my Mums family have ceoliac (sp?) disease which means that they can't eat Gluten. There are several companies that make special food but I believe that Dietery Specialities make the best. Their bread rolls are superb and I think are wheat free too.

Try places like Boots and pharmacies :)

Reminds me of something else.

If you're a coeliac you should be able to get bread and pasta on prescription :)