PDA

View Full Version : Pick Ups At The Rock??

truckmonster
15th April 2008, 22:05
Does anyone know the number of pick ups there will be expected at the rock this weekend???? Is John Mickel racing?? Heard he had been testing??

JovialJooles
15th April 2008, 22:12
Don't know the number of PUTs.

Yep, John will be racing this weekend - http://www.pickuptruckracing.com/index.php?id=32,763,0,0,1,0

Chris Dawkins passed his oval racing rookie test and will make his big oval debut in the Maxspeed #10 Truck at the Rock at the weekend.

It's amazing what you can find out on the PUT website. ;)

pauls
16th April 2008, 12:39
It will be good to see John out in a pickup.

Does anyone have a timetable for this weekends meeting at the Rock?
Can the public still get in on Saturdays? I would like to take my 2 year old boy as he loves watching the NASCAR on TV.

shortcircuit
16th April 2008, 12:54
Its a two day meeting - timetable: http://www.barc.net/competitors/race_timetables/hq0807-01.php

Off the Rockingham web site:

TICKETS OFF ADVANCE SALE END OF WEDNESDAY 16 APRIL

Race meeting featuring the awesome purpose built 230bhp racing Pickup Trucks.

Door handle to door handle with no quarter asked or given, Pickup racing is frequently breathtaking. The Trucks race inches apart with the drivers giving each other just enough room, but not an inch more!

Check out the Team Rockingham Pickup Truck at http://www.hawkesracing.co.uk/

The Race programme will include: Pickup Truck Racing on the Oval
Formula Renault
BMW Saloons
Sports Saloons
Caterhams
Sports 1600's
Legends

http://www.seetickets.com/rockingham

foxystoat
16th April 2008, 17:26
I drive past the Rock on my way to work every day & have noticed there's a big ad board up for the F3 & GT meeting at the end of may, aswell as a smaller one on the main board at the entrance.
Now forgive me if I'm wrong but to the casual passer by that would look like the next meeting that's on as there is no mention of this weekends Pick Up truck races. Is a small sign on the board too much to ask ? above the F3 one so it goes in date order ?
Oh well it's probably a bit late now but one sign would probably add a few hundred people especially casual Pick Up fans.

The Pits!
16th April 2008, 20:15
I drive past the Rock on my way to work every day & have noticed there's a big ad board up for the F3 & GT meeting at the end of may, aswell as a smaller one on the main board at the entrance.
Now forgive me if I'm wrong but to the casual passer by that would look like the next meeting that's on as there is no mention of this weekends Pick Up truck races. Is a small sign on the board too much to ask ? above the F3 one so it goes in date order ?
Oh well it's probably a bit late now but one sign would probably add a few hundred people especially casual Pick Up fans.
Just goes to show where the money for publicity is - doesn't it? :(

fastbob
16th April 2008, 21:21
Its a two day meeting - timetable: http://www.barc.net/competitors/race_timetables/hq0807-01.php

The Race programme will include: Pickup Truck Racing on the Oval
Formula Renault
BMW Saloons
Sports Saloons
Caterhams
Sports 1600's
Legends

http://www.seetickets.com/rockingham

Hey thats not fair..... why did you put the wonderfull exciting Legends at the bottom???? :-(

Tiesse
17th April 2008, 06:02
Hey thats not fair..... why did you put the wonderfull exciting Legends at the bottom???? :-(

Reverse grid!

shortcircuit
17th April 2008, 08:26
Saving the best for last, of course

ready2rock
17th April 2008, 11:03
I presume that in that article about Mickel its meant to be 2008 and not 2007??

fastbob
17th April 2008, 11:07
Saving the best for last, of course

Well saved.... I like your style!!!!

racing59
17th April 2008, 23:17
Of course, you know it makes sense!

racing59
19th April 2008, 20:04
A good field of Legends as usual.

Only 17 Pickups. Where is everyone?

Rob.

LessThanSte
19th April 2008, 20:15
Oh how i wished i'd noticed this weekend was on before spending all my remaining money (until next friday) on karting. Darnt put anythign else on the plastic!

Roll on the next one, and Mallory!

Abo
20th April 2008, 20:36
Only 17 Pickups. Where is everyone?

Tony's engine let go in qualifying. Poulter was set to race but events at home meant he couldn't make it today. Kelly was at the track but I believe funding was a problem after Brands.

racing59
20th April 2008, 21:28
Are we talking Tony "Grenade Engine" Mumford here? I just can't believe that guys luck.

Abo
20th April 2008, 21:42
Are we talking Tony "Grenade Engine" Mumford here? I just can't believe that guys luck.

The one and only! Tis a shame, Briggo's boys whipped the head off on Saturday; pistons two and three were damaged but the bores looked fine. They were optimistic about dropping replacements in but on closer inspection there was evidence of damage to the head as well, in the combustion chambers...

JovialJooles
20th April 2008, 21:44
Gavin was awesome today. :)

Abo
20th April 2008, 21:52
Can't argue with you there Jooles. Did you see how fast he came through from the back in race 1? Unreal...

Mr. Dance managed to bag the fastest lap in race 2 though!

Reynard
20th April 2008, 21:53
Yeah, Gav was a class apart IMHO when it came to handling the conditions - spoke to him after the racing and he said it was really 'orrible in race 1.

Antony Hawkins didn't do too badly either with a brace of 7ths - think that's his best set of results in trucks.

pickup
20th April 2008, 22:05
Mr. Dance managed to bag the fastest lap in race 2 though!

Steve took a gamble in race 2 and went for slicks all round but lost out at the start due to the really damp conditions but as the track dried out in the later stages his set up started to work but by then it was to late to make any real progress.

Reynard
20th April 2008, 22:35
Brave man! Bet he was really having to tippy-toe the opening laps of race 2.

Seems there was quite a variety of opinions as to what tyres to be on - think some guys were on full wets and a bunch were on inters / cut slicks. Not sure whether Dancey was the only one on full slicks tho.

Also, was left wondering whether there wasn't some oil down in T4 as quite a few of the PUT got a little loose in there.

Gasman#99
20th April 2008, 23:18
I will probably get my head bitten off for this, but it seems alot of people on the forum went today, so how come none of you came to any of the road courses for the big boys? May be if we said free food and drink you might turn up!

Abo
20th April 2008, 23:21
I will probably get my head bitten off for this, but it seems alot of people on the forum went today, so how come none of you came to any of the road courses for the big boys? May be if we said free food and drink you might turn up!

Well, Witty was taking photos. Pickup's clue is in his name I guess. :p :

truckmonster
20th April 2008, 23:22
We are truck men,been to brands with pick ups, ain t seen V8s yet!

Abo
20th April 2008, 23:25
Steve took a gamble in race 2 and went for slicks all round but lost out at the start due to the really damp conditions but as the track dried out in the later stages his set up started to work but by then it was to late to make any real progress.

Thought that might be the case, he came on really strong at the end.

jeffmr2
20th April 2008, 23:31
What was the attendance?
Did the race programme benefit from not having V8's running there?

Abo
21st April 2008, 07:14
It 'looked' to be about the same as last year, considering the weather. There were certainly still kids hunting autographs and people coming up to the garages, taking photos and asking questions.

briggs'mechanic
21st April 2008, 09:50
Was a good weekend, Shame we couldn't get Tony back out, Dave had his first Podium finish in Race 2. and 8th in Race 1.

pickup
21st April 2008, 10:30
Brave man! Bet he was really having to tippy-toe the opening laps of race 2.

Seems there was quite a variety of opinions as to what tyres to be on - think some guys were on full wets and a bunch were on inters / cut slicks. Not sure whether Dancey was the only one on full slicks tho.

Also, was left wondering whether there wasn't some oil down in T4 as quite a few of the PUT got a little loose in there.

As far as i'm aware Dancy was on full oval slicks, we were given the ok to mix wet/slick set up but you can only use circuit slicks with wets as the oval slicks are a much bigger profile.They are the only choices we have you cannot use cut slicks or inters just those three specified tyres.

Abo
21st April 2008, 13:19
As far as i'm aware Dancy was on full oval slicks, we were given the ok to mix wet/slick set up but you can only use circuit slicks with wets as the oval slicks are a much bigger profile

It'd just put a load of stagger in that's all! ;)

The White Lady
21st April 2008, 19:23

Dear Gasman#99,
I went today too and am happy to answer why I haven't been to road courses. As I said in other posts Rockingham is a local circuit for us - I could get over for the pick ups and back to Wellingborough in time to meet other obligations in Wellingborough at 5.30. Sadly I can't achieve that with Oulton, Lydden, Mallory, Snetterton etc. I'm not against SCSA in the form it is running this year, just not able to support it in this form and, to a degree, less interested because what really gripped me was the big ovals. Your kind offer of free food and drink would not lure me to the road courses - not even champagne and caviar because I just can't get to them - I am committed to other things because dates weren't available soon enough for me to keep any Sundays free to get further afield. No-ones fault, I understand why dates weren't available, it's just the way it is. Shame the Powernights fell through really - would have got to just about all of those!

It wasn't the same without the big V8's, but it was still a good days racing. Obviously pickups topped the bill for me, but the legends and Formula Renault were entertaining too. Looking forward to seeing you guys back there one day. :)

pickup
21st April 2008, 19:40
It'd just put a load of stagger in that's all! ;)

Nice one Abo we'll have to give that a try.

Gasman#99
21st April 2008, 19:44
Dear Gasman#99

It wasn't the same without the big V8's, but it was still a good days racing. Obviously pickups topped the bill for me, but the legends and Formula Renault were entertaining too. Looking forward to seeing you guys back there one day. :)
I hope were back one day too, but having fun on the road courses in the mean time, im just over the fence from rockingham and never went yesterday, due to commitments, how many pickups were out? if you get the chance goto a road course, i never liked the idea myself, but i love cadwell's track now, apart from the pitlane hill, but listening to the v8's at the back of the track sounded good.

truckmonster
21st April 2008, 20:57
I thought Dancy was on curcuit slicks????

Yung
21st April 2008, 21:44
"The significant statistic from the weekend was that there were no full course cautions and no retirements. Pickup boss Sonny Howard and all the drivers must be pleased with that."

BUT............ Tony Mumford retired before the races..... so isnt that incorrect?? Still part of the "weekend"..........

JovialJooles
22nd April 2008, 09:55
"The significant statistic from the weekend was that there were no full course cautions and no retirements. Pickup boss Sonny Howard and all the drivers must be pleased with that."

BUT............ Tony Mumford retired before the races..... so isnt that incorrect?? Still part of the "weekend"..........

Sorry, where does the quote come from? It's not from, this thread. :confused:

Please refrence your citations.

pickup
22nd April 2008, 10:30
I thought Dancy was on curcuit slicks????

I assumed that they would have been Rockingham slicks, normally the only way you could use circuit slicks on the oval is as with Sundays case when you are allowed to mix wet/slick set up.

scubie
22nd April 2008, 10:38

Sorry, where does the quote come from? It's not from, this thread. :confused:

Please refrence your citations.

Looks like it came from the Pickuptruck race report http://pickuptruckracing.com/index.php?id=59,269,0,0,1,0

Gasman#99
22nd April 2008, 17:08
Looks like it came from the Pickuptruck race report http://pickuptruckracing.com/index.php?id=59,269,0,0,1,0
was'nt rocket science, well done scubie.

scubie
22nd April 2008, 17:25
Dear Gasman#99,
I went today too and am happy to answer why I haven't been to road courses. As I said in other posts Rockingham is a local circuit for us - I could get over for the pick ups and back to Wellingborough in time to meet other obligations in Wellingborough at 5.30. Sadly I can't achieve that with Oulton, Lydden, Mallory, Snetterton etc. I'm not against SCSA in the form it is running this year, just not able to support it in this form and, to a degree, less interested because what really gripped me was the big ovals. Your kind offer of free food and drink would not lure me to the road courses - not even champagne and caviar because I just can't get to them - I am committed to other things because dates weren't available soon enough for me to keep any Sundays free to get further afield. No-ones fault, I understand why dates weren't available, it's just the way it is. Shame the Powernights fell through really - would have got to just about all of those!

Hi,
I fully understand what you are saying, and why you can't get to see us on a sunday. We aren't just racing on sundays this year though, Cadwell was on a saturday, Lydden (where you can see all of the circuit), we are racing on a Saturday (yes it is a long way from Wellingborough, I know as I've been there twice so far this year, and hopefully it won't snow the next time I'm there), Snetterton we are racing on August Bank Holiday monday.
I hope that you will look and see if you and pit kid can can come and take a look, you would be made more than welcome at Team Networking, and enjoy the hospitality we are providing, as a thankyou for the support you've soon the series in the past and hopefully in the future, where ever we may be racing.
Thanks

The White Lady
22nd April 2008, 18:19
Thanks for your very kind offer, we really would like to see you guys, but Saturdays are out for us Pitkid plays for the Northamptonshire County Youth Orchestra and they rehearse every Saturday morning!
Completely O/T he's just pased his Grade 7 'cello exam with a Merit! Incredible!
How about a Forum outing to see one of his concerts, now that would be a different audience for him...
Outside chance of Bank Holiday monday depending on the wind for sailing - could you refresh my memory of when and where? Just spotted that you said Snett August Bank Hol, and we are already committed to something :( boo hoo

Noticed you are in Wellingborough too - would be really funny if you were just around the corner.

Gasman#99
22nd April 2008, 19:11
Noticed you are in Wellingborough too - would be really funny if you were just around the corner.
Paul is one of wellingboroughs finest nhs paramedics, you'll know him, drives fast(except in a duncan car)!

racing59
22nd April 2008, 20:28
That ol' 53 plate Astra ain't that fast!
Can't comment on the new one though - is it any good Paul? (ZE3)

And what's this "Rob Tinto Racing #12" - does he have formal approval from the 12Dude?

warrior
22nd April 2008, 21:01
im watchin you gas man who said you could use my number as a trade mark the 12 dude gave me the approval for the no. 12 not you
so go get your own number

warrior
22nd April 2008, 21:03
did you see that i brought the car back in one peice this time

scubie
22nd April 2008, 21:31
Paul is one of wellingboroughs finest nhs paramedics, you'll know him, drives fast(except in a duncan car)!

Was going quickly round Silverstone national today, but it was in a Supercharged Lotus Exige. Wait till you see me in a V8, V8 safety Car anyone :p :

That ol' 53 plate Astra ain't that fast!
Can't comment on the new one though - is it any good Paul? (ZE3)

We have Focuses or should that be Focuii at welly. the new one is slightly faster than the old one, have had 120 leptons out of the new one on the way to a red call, only problem is that they can bog down when getting going. The new lighting system is blinding (quite literally makes the old one look like its got a couple of candles on the roof)

Now what was this tread about, pickups wasn't it, umm.... wasn't there can't comment, understand there was a fella that used to race V8's in one. Believe I pulled him out of the turn one wall once. :eek:

Tiesse
23rd April 2008, 07:12

That makes three of us!

Ovrdwall
23rd April 2008, 20:22
I assumed that they would have been Rockingham slicks, normally the only way you could use circuit slicks on the oval is as with Sundays case when you are allowed to mix wet/slick set up.

When the race is declared wet, tyres become free, you can use any mix you like. Dance had 4 circuit slicks on. Briggo had 2 circuit slicks with 2 wets I believe, as did Wilky, not sure bout Grindrod or Seager tho

Seager racing
23rd April 2008, 21:07
Full wets.

Gasman#99
23rd April 2008, 23:22
did you see that i brought the car back in one peice this time
Yes rob, i was down the unit tonight and the first thing i done was walk round the beast to check it.

Gasman#99
23rd April 2008, 23:26
im watchin you gas man who said you could use my number as a trade mark the 12 dude gave me the approval for the no. 12 not you
so go get your own number
#12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12
#12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 #12 :p : :p :

warrior
12th May 2008, 14:12
your my number #1 fan gas man