PDA

View Full Version : An Evolutionary Approach to Green Racingness

Hoop-98
15th April 2008, 21:57
SAE World Congress is nothing if it is not green . But Green seems to fit just about every technology out there, do any have an evolutionary path for our current racing paradigm, I think yes.

I would propose a technology which would be more fuel efficient, have cross-application with current passenger car technology, an provide for an extension of the current knowledge base and existing technology.

Engine Concept:

Direct Gasoline Injection Spark Ignition Turbocharged:

A 2.25 Turbo V6 using the same B/S, engine mounting, and similar technology restrictions as to days powerplant. Twin turbo-intercooled.

650 BHP 11,300 RPM for Ovals.
750 BHP 12,300 RPM for Road Course. (Same Power to Weight as current car with 900 BHP)

100 KG package with 25 pct fuel economy improvement. (Fuel Choice Dependent)

Chassis:

Similar Construction as today, approximately 10 per cent smaller in size.
Weight 705Kg with driver and driver adjustment. All cars with driver and ballast meet minimum vertical center of gravity.
Aero in 5000 AT 200 MPH class with 3/1 L/D for RC
Aero in 2000 AT 200 MPH class with 1.2/1 L/D for Superpseedways, with high drag speed limiting for high banks.
Aero on 4000 AT 200 MPH Class with 2.8/1 LD for Short Ovals

This would result in a car with better performance than a 2008 DP-01 and similar performance to a 2008 Dallara on Ovals.

Latest safety research to be included.

Windtunnel testing to minimize leading/trailing car

Tires: Similar to today.

Fuel: Renewable fuel, preferably cellulose ethanol. This may not be practical with "Ethanol" involvement. Be wary of corn based ethanol backlash possible in future.

Summary

This approach is an extension of existing technology, lower fuel consumption, similar cost basis, and matches Ford/VW/Audi performance engines of existing/near future ( Turbo Direct SI Engine).

It would cost about the same, be a "green" technology demonstrator, and be the same speed on ovals, noticeably quicker on RC.

Thoughts?

rh

fan-veteran
15th April 2008, 23:15
I think the sound of V6 would be a bit muffled compared to V8 :) which is not good :) . Regarding the power - there should be a possiblity to be adjusted to give the required speeds on ovals (less power) and road courses (more power), what if RPMs are fixed, lets say to 10300 or 11000, or 12000 rpm (that defines the design features and hence the cost i think, so it is a matter of serious technical considerations) and the power is adjusted by menas of a boost pressure? Would this be feasible? I can remember a documentary of IMAX about making the "Superspeedway" documentary, where they said that the car driven by Mario Andretti was set to give more than 1000bhp to compensate the drag of the camera (which was about the size of a small TV set) :) .

Hoop-98
15th April 2008, 23:40
You noticed I said 650/750 for oval/rc power wise, but I'd like to see the power band widened for RC too.

You know on the sound, racing is about racing and the sound is a byproduct. Any engine of this displacement can meet the pwoer requirements, but 8s and 10s will cost more and be a larger heavier package, all else being equal.

I picked that size and V6 because it arries over some current tech, if anything, I would go down to a 4 with a turbo.

VW/AUdi have Turbo DI 2.os and Ford has a V6 Direct Injection Turbo. I am certainly not proposing stock blocks, just a technology linkage.

Anyways, just my opinion.

rh

FormerFF
16th April 2008, 03:03
Sixes sound great. Think about the Porsche flat six or the BMW inline six in ALMS racing. They have this great raspy yowl. It's not as good as a twelve, but it sounds better to my ear than does an Eight.

Miatanut
16th April 2008, 05:25
Open rules!

No minimum weight. If you want to use a 1.0 L turbo, have at it! No exotic materials, though. Downforce limited to 500 Lbs, or some such, determined by load cells in the suspension owned and monitored by the sanctioning body, together with ride height monitoring (to allow adjusting for rising rate suspension at the ride height the car ran the race at). Checked by seven post rig in post-race scrutineering

BUT...

Your re-fueling rig is limited to the speed of a typical gas station pump and you can't work on the car when refueling. Look all you want, no touching (Le Mans style).

Now, if you can reduce fuel use by reducing drag and reducing weight, you don't have to spend as much time refueling, giving you a competitive advantage.

Something with real-world application!

Miatanut
16th April 2008, 05:29
I can remember a documentary of IMAX about making the "Superspeedway" documentary, where they said that the car driven by Mario Andretti was set to give more than 1000bhp to compensate the drag of the camera (which was about the size of a small TV set) :) .
Mostly they wanted to run more downforce so he could keep up in the turns, and more downforce meant more drag, which they had to offset with more power.

I'd love to see downforce halved while keeping current power levels. For the true speed freaks, the straightaway speeds would actually be higher, due to less drag, while providing a lot more challenge for the driver managing that power with less grip coming out of the turns.

Cart750hp
16th April 2008, 06:26
Fuel: Renewable fuel, preferably cellulose ethanol. This may not be practical with "Ethanol" involvement. Be wary of corn based ethanol backlash possible in future.

I totally agree with you on this one. Corn based ethanol is pushing the gas up in counties and states who regulates ethanol mixture in fuels. Renewable energy makes so much sense to promote and invest than ethanol.

Dr. Krogshöj
16th April 2008, 06:54
Aero in 5000 AT 200 MPH class with 3/1 L/D for RC
Aero in 2000 AT 200 MPH class with 1.2/1 L/D for Superpseedways, with high drag speed limiting for high banks.
Aero on 4000 AT 200 MPH Class with 2.8/1 LD for Short Ovals

How do these figures compare to the Dallara's?

Hoop-98
16th April 2008, 16:43
The RC figure is in the same ballpark. They run a lot more downforce on the Supers when the use the mandated wing angles. Homestead and Indy work well with their ccurrent setup, IMO.

Taking a little aero off for short ovals, it might work well on short ovals, if we got some back, to run RC power.

I am sure the high banked speedway packages need the most thought. I am thinking with 650 BHP and maybe a little less draggy Handford you would be getting close.

rh