PDA

View Full Version : 10 Predictions for 2007

truefan72
19th January 2007, 12:23
Here are my thoughts for surprises and predictions in the new year

1. Both Hamilton and Kovaleinen will be better than expected
2. Torro Rossi will outperfrom RBR
3. 2 drivers will be replaced during the year ( maybe Sato - who I like though, and maybe fisichella - depending on his competitiveness )
4. As much as it pains me... but Button will challenge for the WDC
5. Kimi will win the WDC
6. Alonso will have more DNF's than wins
7. Sauber will get it's first Win
8. Rosberg will be outpaced by Wurz
9. Davidson will surprise a few people... but the Super Aguri will fail him
10. DC will finally quit/leave/let go after being clearly outpaced by Webber

comments, thoughts, criticisms welcome

p.s. Happy new year to all :)

ShiftingGears
19th January 2007, 12:58
My prediction:
Despite all the preseason predictions about how competitive the grid will be, it will be one or two teams dominating, with a maximum of 4 teams winning races.

I'd gladly be wrong on this prediction :D

Predict Raikkonen to win the WDC

ioan
19th January 2007, 13:27
One thing is for sure, Sato will be there at the end of the season, not sure about Fisi.

Also it may happen that Alonso will throw his steering wheel at Ron Dennis quite a few times!

Big Ben
19th January 2007, 14:12
Kimi will probably win the WDC... Man... that hurts... bloody traitor :)

Knock-on
19th January 2007, 14:32
1. Max will manage to bring the sport into disrepute at some point in the season
2. Lewis will exceed Alonsos’ points haul in the 2nd half of the season
3. Kimi will win the WDC
4. If he doesn’t, ioan will point out that MS would easily have done so in the same car
5. RB will announce he is retiring
6. Ant will be named as Buttons team mate
7. The Honda will finally be in a position to challenge for wins
8. Alonso has a paddy on camera
9. Bridgestone get into hot water over the standard spec tyre
10. Jenson takes 2nd in the championship

Big Ben
19th January 2007, 14:46
1. Max will manage to bring the sport into disrepute at some point in the season
3. Kimi will win the WDC
4. If he doesn’t, ioan will point out that MS would easily have done so in the same car

Good ones :)
new rules:
-teams will have to use the same engine the entire season
-a switch to diesel

SuperAguri
19th January 2007, 16:36
Some more unlikely predictions

1 - Yuji Ide returns to Formula 1 saying he is fitter and more experienced than ever beofre
2 - Jacques Villeneuve turns up in Melbourne in an old Arrows chassis determined on winning hsis second title
3 - Both McLarens finish a race distance
4 - Schumacher decides retirment wasn't right for him and sets up own race team with him as supreme number one
5 - Mika Hakkinen makes a shock comeback at Silverstone
6 - Nico Rosberg learns the meaning of 'finish in one piece'
7 - Christijan Albers wins a wet Belgian Grand Prix
8 - Max Mosley retires
9 - The FIA bans Ferrari from winning the World Championship, unlike banning everyone else from years 2002-04, then failing in 2006
10 - Toyota wins a race

jens
19th January 2007, 20:33
OK, I'm trying to make safe predictions...

I agree with theugssquirrel that no more than 4 teams will win a race. :p :

2) Alonso outscores Hamilton (that should be quite safe :D )
3) At least two of current Top3 teams (Renault, Ferrari, McLaren) will stay in Top3!
4) We will have about 4-7 different winners (at drivers' side)
5) There is at least one team, who fails to score a single point (probably Spyker) unless there is gonna be an Indy'05-like race.
6) It will be DC's last season in F1
7) Alonso retires at least on one occasion due to a mechanical problem
8) Not all the drivers, who start the season, will finish the season (only guess, who will be sacked...)
9) The WDC scores more than 100 points.
10) And the most sure one - At least on one occasion Trulli's car will blow up whilst driving in Top3. :(

truefan72
20th January 2007, 07:27
[quote="Knock-on"]1. Max will manage to bring the sport into disrepute at some point in the season

Good One. I didn't think of that

Iceman-uk
20th January 2007, 11:58
Going to be a hard season and very open.

Finding it hard to make predictions.

Ranger
20th January 2007, 12:00
I will make only one prediction:

It will be Coulthard's year.

dwf1
20th January 2007, 13:54
right here we go!

1. Lewis will beat Alonso and challenge for the WDC (trust me on this!!)
2. Super Aguri will be at least midfield
3. Spyker will continue to improve!
4. Fisi wil finally show promise and will beat Heikki
5. RBR will improve but they will not be top4...yet! and DC and Webber will be equal.
6. Toro Rosso will be the back of the grid team!
7. Race winners will Button, Kimi, Massa, Alonso, Lewis, Fisi, maybe Heikki, a BMW and maybe a RBR.
8. Williams will fight back!
9. There will be at least one race where we have about 9 finishers only!
10. Silverstone will come under threat...........again!

RJL25
20th January 2007, 14:37

Agreed

Dissagree

3. 2 drivers will be replaced during the year ( maybe Sato - who I like though, and maybe fisichella - depending on his competitiveness )

Maybe, but Sato won't loose his seat, he is basically mr. super aguri atm

Dissagree

5. Kimi will win the WDC

Agree

Agree

Dissagree

Agree

Agree

Agree, he will gracefully retire at seasons end

Now i'll add a few of my own:

1. Toyota will be rubbish... again
2. Williams will start promising and end like rubbish... again
3. Webber will get pole at Monaco (this is a big one!)

jens
20th January 2007, 17:59
One question. What do people mean when they say Toyota is gonna be rubbish? Is it 8th position in the WCC? Or for example 5th position? Where is the dividing line between "good" and "bad"?

truefan72
20th January 2007, 19:49
Toyota are such an interesting case and to me, too difficult to predict. Both car and drivers are like the tide. On good days they are pretty good (top 3 finish) but on other days they tend to disappear (more driver than car IMO)) I think that these two drivers don't do the car any justice. And neither do their race day tactics or having the uncanny ability to always be ill prepared, show up with the wrong package and generally involve too many people in any decision making situation.

Cut staff and budget down and a change in attitude is what's needed. They seem too concerned about conservatively finishing races than trying to win them. A team in their position (and financial situation) needs to be aggressively focused on winning races rather than 'just finishing’ from drivers down to mechanics.

Big Ben
20th January 2007, 20:09
Montoya will not return to Mclaren :) )))

jens
20th January 2007, 21:26
Toyota are such an interesting case and to me, too difficult to predict. Both car and drivers are like the tide. On good days they are pretty good (top 3 finish) but on other days they tend to disappear (more driver than car IMO)) I think that these two drivers don't do the car any justice. And neither do their race day tactics or having the uncanny ability to always be ill prepared, show up with the wrong package and generally involve too many people in any decision making situation.

Cut staff and budget down and a change in attitude is what's needed. They seem too concerned about conservatively finishing races than trying to win them. A team in their position (and financial situation) needs to be aggressively focused on winning races rather than 'just finishing’ from drivers down to mechanics.

I see. You seem to insist that Toyota has to win, otherwise there is room for criticism and bashing. I'd imagine that if RBR, BMW or even Williams scores just a couple of podium places, people would sing them hosanna. Yet these teams are in future perspectives higher rated than Toyota. A contradiction?

Another observation is that in no other team the drivers are so much criticized as the Toyota ones. If another team fails, it's the car. If Toyota fails, it's the drivers. What should we read out here? The drivers are too bad for a Toyota-like team? I'd imagine that if Jarno and Ralf were driving for RBR or Williams, then people would say that their line-up is quite strong and they start rising (btw, same was said about Toyota, when their current line-up was announced in 2004!). So you expect Toyota to have absolute top (or star, if you want) drivers? But no-one thinks Toyota is a top team, then how can they have for example Alonso and Räikkönen? A contradiction again?

We have six factory teams and all of them can't win at the same time. Is the "problem" with Toyota really that as they are the largest (or second after GM?) car manufacturer, then everyone is expecting them to win, win and only win? Other results are regarded as flops. In 2005 they had a pretty good season, but nonetheless people continue to saying "they have done nothing in five seasons" - so 2005 is not regarded as a good season? We should give them the honour that they haven't given up yet and are continuing to try. After all, they are not the last ones! They are a strong mid-field team, usually driving in first half of the grid and even to achieve that level a lot of hard work needs to be done. It can be said that during its competing period Toyota has raised its level from opening years: in 2002-2004 they failed to finish higher than 8th in WCC, but as last season showed, now their level is such that even in a bad season they are able to finish in Top6. Every team has good and bad seasons, like McLaren'04 and BAR/Honda'05 - their level is also such that even in a bad season they still manage to finish in Top6 as those seasons showed. But they weren't written off after their dismal season.

After all, factory teams like Alfa Romeo (I mean their competing period in late 70s and early 80s) and Jaguar have never had such a season like Toyota in 2005. Not even close. If in Button's case people say that "He has got a win and now he knows he can win, not just believes and that's an important boost", then I'm going to use the same pattern in Toyota's case. Their management, drivers, etc might be whatever, but 2005, especially the first half, showed that even with such team they can perform if they have prepared properly for the season.

Anyway, if Toyota finishes 4th or 5th in the WCC, I'd be quite satisfied.

Scuderia ferrari
20th January 2007, 21:51
Prolly
1. Alonso will lose his championship and his confidence
2. Massa and Raikoen will fight against each other to become "team leader"
3. Button will get afew more wins
4. Hamilton will get 1 or 2 wins
5. Kubica will struggle on birgestones (from what he said recently)
6. BMW may get there first win
7. Renualt will struggle without Alonso
8. Redbull may get there first win.
9. Davidson won't do that well with super aguri
10. It will be hard to tell the 2 orange teams, renualt and sypker apart.

raikk
20th January 2007, 22:31
1. Hamilton will be better then expected and will have an impressive 2nd half followed by 2nd places and a 3rd,,,
2.Kovalianen will beat the fish
3. Kimi will win the WDC but will have some engine failures
4. Alonso more competative then people think.. gets 3 1st's
5. Mclaren win WCC due to consistancy
6. BMW will be 3rd in WCC standings
7. Ferrari doesn't cheat
8.Kubica pummels Heifeld
9.Williams comnes 5th in WDC
10. Renault have disapointing season..

Dazz9908
20th January 2007, 23:03
By truefan72,
Not Quite, Hamilton will struggle like Rosburg last year (not enough time toget use to a F1 car), and Kovaleinen will only match Fisi.
Noway, STR's budget is way smaller and will struggle from mid season on.
RBR RB3 will be better than most expect it, mid season will come a contender for podiums.
No way, Sato the lead driver in a Japanese team, He's really safe.
Fisi in a water tight contract, caused by Alonso's defection early last year, but he will be replaced next year by Webber.
Luzzi is on borrowsed time(Speed did better last yr IMO), May need a good year, to save his career. Speed did good last year, deserves the drive, May share Doornbos.
Honda come alive in07, yes Both Button and RB will do well with JB the better. Will be Good to watch!
5. Kimi will win the WDC
This is a given! Sadly :(
But will challenge from time to time, possibly?
Only Fast tracks, Engine is really one of the best, But their own Tactics/Strategy, sees them throw away a few chances.
Wurz will do good, more equals me thinks, Rosburg gets his head around F1 but late season. But Team Willy struggle mid season on, again sadly (Hope I'm wrong hear..
Davo knows the car (Last years Honda) so no surprises there, SA will fail due to errors and blunders (New team in the deep end stuff)
Agreed. No doubt about that.

Also:
Toyota will be good this year only to be let down by it's drivers.[/*:m:uo1dqd66]
Webber will Sign for Renault or Toyota, by Mid season.[/*:m:uo1dqd66]
Ralf will be on the market, with few to no offers.[/*:m:uo1dqd66]
Massa will go back to his old habits and destroy his cars and reputation,due to Kimi's dominance, will be luck to survive next year.[/*:m:uo1dqd66]
Bridgestone will betray Ferrari, at some time next year, as pressure come from other teams for equal treatment.[/*:m:uo1dqd66]

p.s. Happy new year to all :)

Same you, truefan72, May hit be great year!
Well thought out!! :up:

By Knock-on
Agreed,You Bet, Max will still try to ruin this sport by wanting something stupid put into the rules.

LeonBrooke
20th January 2007, 23:07
1. Hamilton and Button will be woefully unsuccessful and Hamilton will be dumped mid-season
2. Kovalainen will be very good and will win multiple races
3. Ralf Schumacher will win a race for Toyota
4. Mark Webber will be faster than Coulthard on occasion but will be less disciplined and as such Coulthard will out-perform him
5. Massa and Raikkonen will be battling for the world title but end up taking points off each other
6. Alonso will be the quickest driver of the year but will be frustrated by reliability issues which will ruin his title hopes

That's all I've got so far.

Cozzie
21st January 2007, 22:06
1. Alonso will struggle at times with DNFs and maybe even loose his cool on camera but will still manage to win the title.
2. Massa will give Raikkonen a run for his money and this will destroy both of their title hopes.
3. Renault will struggle and fail to win. Fisi will be ousted at the end of 2007.
4. BMW-Sauber will win once and be in the top 4.
5. Button and Honda will be the surprise package and Button will finish third in the standings.
6. Toyota will be bottom four.
7. Heikki will outpace Fisi but Hamilton will find it hard.
8. Williams will be rubbish and Red Bull will underachieve.
9. Spyker will get regular points finishes.
10.Sato will crash 16 times!

Mr Kurtz
22nd January 2007, 18:18
I think any possible scenario is allready here, but I can make one prediction:

- Australia will have no STR's nor Aguri's at the start after a complaint from other teams about their cars and Spyker will take it to arbitration preventing those two teams from racing.

Bezza
22nd January 2007, 22:19
Lets be realistic.

1. Ferrari will not be ahead of the rest, despite the predictions.

2. The Renault of Fisichella will suddenly be bullet-proof and be the pacesetter in the first few races.

3. McLaren will be unreliable all season (no change there then), but quick.

4. Toyota will win a race mid season.

5. Coulthard will outpace Webber.

6. Honda will be consistent and challenge for the title through Jenson.

7. Kovalainen will be poor and prone to errors.

8. Hamilton will struggle but come good in the last handful of races.

9. Massa will be fired before the end of the season after a public spat with Raikkonen.

10. Button will win the WDC from Raikkonen, Fisichella and Alonso.

LeonBrooke
23rd January 2007, 00:30
10. Button will win the WDC from Raikkonen, Fisichella and Alonso.

You call that realistic? Button will never win the world title. He's an arrogant **** without the skill to back it up. I predict he'll leave F1 in disgrace without another win.

Ranger
23rd January 2007, 01:51
You call that realistic? Button will never win the world title. He's an arrogant **** without the skill to back it up. I predict he'll leave F1 in disgrace without another win.

I wouldn't go that far, but...

Bezza's last 10 statements seem to be contradictory to the first one. :p :

Hawkmoon
23rd January 2007, 02:09
1. Ferrari will win back the titles that are rightfully theirs. ;)

2. The McLaren will be both slow and unreliable, forcing Alonso to turn to drink, despite ol' Ron's protests.

3. Hamilton will struggle against Alonso to such a degree that McLaren will look elsewhere for 2008.

4. Neither Button nor Honda will win a race.

5. The top three will be Ferrari, Renault and McLaren.

6. The FIA will change the rules midseason (again).

7. Webber will send old man Coulthard into retirement.

8. Toyota will once again get the worst return in terms of points per dollar.

9. Trulli will be kicked out of F1 due to the stress the Trulli Train causes both the fans and the other drivers.

10. 2007 will mark the end of the careers of Coulthard, Speed, Liuzzi and Barrichello.

LeonBrooke
23rd January 2007, 04:13
I wouldn't go that far, but...

Bezza's last 10 statements seem to be contradictory to the first one. :p :

Oh yes.

Realistically, Button will return to his normal form - the occasional podium but mostly he will be languishing anywhere between sixth and twelfth. Hamilton will be similar in form to Rosberg last year. Kovalainen, who has done extensive testing for Renault and served as third driver for a year, will win at least once.

samuratt
23rd January 2007, 09:40
Predictions:
1. Ferrari will be the team with more race wins.
2. Kovalainen will beat Fishichella
3. Toyota won't be on the podium the entire year.
4. BMW will finish in the podium more than once.

ottostreet
23rd January 2007, 10:29
10. Rosberg will do appallingly.
9. There will be at least one mclaren retirement by the time we get back to Europe.
8. Massa will be broken over the first half of the season by Kimi.
7. Ted Kravitz will always have been "just down to the Honda garage".
6. Coulthard will not be dominated by Webber.
5. Alonso will be quite pissed off by season's end.
4. Hamilton will be special (im hoping not though)
3. Kovaleinen will wipe the floor with Fisi.
2. Heidfeld & Kubica will be a great battle.
1. Kimi Raikkonen will be World Champion.

jens
23rd January 2007, 16:14
Ten most certain predictions. ;)

1) If Toyota failed, then people would say that the team was full of idiots and they should sack everyone (drivers, engineers, etc). Who cares about stability! :laugh:
2) If Toyota managed to beat Williams, RBR, BMW and/or Honda, then people would say that they still suck (for not being able to win) and that the previosly mentioned teams are still somehow better than Yota.
3) If Toyota scored points from 8th consecutive race, then people would say that they were inconsistent.
4) If a Toyota qualified into Top5, then people would say that they'll pit during the first 5 laps in the race.
5) If Trulli qualified on pole, then people would go mad and wish him stalling on the grid not to create another "train".
6) If a Toyota blew up whilst running 5th, then people would say that they should hire Yoong and Ide, which would be a giant step forward.
7) If a Toyota finished on the podium 3rd, people would say that with better drivers they would have won the race.
8) If a leading Toyota blew up with 2 laps to go, people would say that such a crap driver/team combination wouldn't have deserved a win anyway.
9) If Toyota won a race, then people would say that it was a fluke one and next time around they'll drop back there, where "they should be".
10) Variant 2: If Toyota won a race, then people would say that they were cheating, otherwise it's impossible for "such" team to win.

Quetch
23rd January 2007, 16:50
Toyota will fire Pascal Vasselon after a couple of bad races and will start everything from scratch again.

LeonBrooke
23rd January 2007, 19:16
Ten most certain predictions. ;)

1) If Toyota failed, then people would say that the team was full of idiots and they should sack everyone (drivers, engineers, etc). Who cares about stability! :laugh:
2) If Toyota managed to beat Williams, RBR, BMW and/or Honda, then people would say that they still suck (for not being able to win) and that the previosly mentioned teams are still somehow better than Yota.
3) If Toyota scored points from 8th consecutive race, then people would say that they were inconsistent.
4) If a Toyota qualified into Top5, then people would say that they'll pit during the first 5 laps in the race.
5) If Trulli qualified on pole, then people would go mad and wish him stalling on the grid not to create another "train".
6) If a Toyota blew up whilst running 5th, then people would say that they should hire Yoong and Ide, which would be a giant step forward.
7) If a Toyota finished on the podium 3rd, people would say that with better drivers they would have won the race.
8) If a leading Toyota blew up with 2 laps to go, people would say that such a crap driver/team combination wouldn't have deserved a win anyway.
9) If Toyota won a race, then people would say that it was a fluke one and next time around they'll drop back there, where "they should be".
10) Variant 2: If Toyota won a race, then people would say that they were cheating, otherwise it's impossible for "such" team to win.

So Toyota can't win.

I find it interesting that you mention point 9. I agree with this, people would be saying it. However, when Honda won a race last year, everyone was saying, "finally, now we know their true form". But they dropped back to where they should be.

jas123f1
23rd January 2007, 20:50
1. Kovalainen will be the rookie of the year with 2 more GP wins and more points than Fisi.

2. Renault will win again he Constructors Championship

3. Kimi will outpace Massa in every competition after Malaysia (except Brazil) and be the winner of Drivers Championship.

4. RBR will be the positive surprise of the year with a fourth place in Constructors Championship (however DC will leave after the season).

5. After the half season Ron will announce that his drivers are again allowed to drink as much they like.. (because of the poor result and the bad feeling in the team - there every one are speaking of the old good times with Kimi).. Alonso will also same time be allowed to let his hair grow to the normal length again.

6. Trulli make his best season ever and with 7 podium place and 2 wins. Ralf doesn’t like it too much and will start a discussion with Pascal Vasselon about the discrimination he feels he is being as a subject to ..

7. Sato will surprise every one making new record and crashing result of the year. Not one crash except Australia, Malaysia, Imola…

8. Nico and Wurz has a keen competition between them with lot of problems during more than half of the season, but Frank is happy for late but promising results and is thinking the next season …

9. BMW will get their first win … with Robert Kubica!

10. Ferrari announce in Brazil that Michael Schumacher start as the team boss at Ferrari 2008..

rlenis
23rd January 2007, 21:26
1. Kubica will shine even though Heidfeld will beat him on the points at the end of the year.
2. BMW will beat Honda in the constructor’s championship.
3. Kimi will be the 2007 WDC.
4. Massa will be second in the standings.
5. Kovalainen will be the rookie of the year.
6. Hamilton will struggle in the first half and will have a hard time keeping up with Alonso’s pace
7. Webber will have his maiden win in Monaco
8. PDLR will replace Hamilton on a couple of races.
9. Sato will outperform Davidson comfortably.
10. Roseberg and Wurz will find themselves fighting with the Super Aguri boys.

futuretiger9
24th January 2007, 00:20
1) Alonso and Kimi will have a titanic struggle for the title
2) Hamilton will struggle, and may even be "rested" mid-season
3) BMW Sauber to challenge for the odd race win
4) Kovalainen to win a race (probably in the wet)
5) Massa to score a couple of wins
6) Button to spend most the season in the midfield
7) Toyota to be generally mediocre
8) Coulthard to score at least one podium
9) Williams to tread water
10) Ferrari to win Constructors title

LeonBrooke
24th January 2007, 22:03
1) Alonso and Kimi will have a titanic struggle for the title
2) Hamilton will struggle, and may even be "rested" mid-season
3) BMW Sauber to challenge for the odd race win
4) Kovalainen to win a race (probably in the wet)
5) Massa to score a couple of wins
6) Button to spend most the season in the midfield
7) Toyota to be generally mediocre
8) Coulthard to score at least one podium
9) Williams to tread water
10) Ferrari to win Constructors title

Finally someone realistic, but I disagree about 7) and 5). I think Massa will win more than a couple.

truefan72
25th January 2007, 21:16
1. I am not sure what in Hamilton's background suggests that he will struggle in F1 this year. Perhaps he won't challenge his teammate but saying that he might be replaced is absolutely ludicrous. Perhaps people's expectations of him are so high ( or a slight double standard evoked) that anything less than race victories and podium finishes will be seen as a dissapointment.

2. On that same not of historical experience, I agree with the majority of folks here that speculate on Toyota's lackluster performance in 2007. It is not that I am rooting for them to do poorly. They simply haven't shown anyone that they are going to do something special this year. The definition of insanty is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result every time. That's what Toyota has been doing. I have never seen such a budget mishandled and put to such waste. Change the drivers, fire the engineers, shake things up and blow up whatever mundane stretegy they have been following. Good Luck.

3. The Massa/ Kimmi relationship will be one to watch. I think at this stage, Massa is ready to be a serious title contender based on car and driver. Let's hope we see fairness within the team throughout the year.

jens
25th January 2007, 21:27
Several people here have predicted one or another driver/team winning an odd race. Well, probably it'll be like as it has usually been. It means 2-3 teams are a class of the field and are constantly challenging for race wins. Next teams would classify into the "needs luck to get a win" group, unless one of them has a very special track, where the car appears to be extremly competitive (like Renault in 2003 at Hungaroring). Which one in that group will be lucky one and which one not? A good question. Seasons like 1996 and 2003 proved that even a very mediocre team might get a chance in a very specific situation.

Change the drivers, fire the engineers, shake things up and blow up whatever mundane stretegy they have been following. Good Luck.

A simple question: which drivers would you hire?

LeonBrooke
25th January 2007, 22:10
I think Toyota may have been a bit superstitious in dumping Gascoigne. Of course, other teams have had an upsurge in form after he left them, and maybe they were hoping for the same thing. This is silly, but I think they will score a race win, probably more by luck than by design, like Button's in Hungary.

agwiii
27th January 2007, 16:43
1. I am not sure what in Hamilton's background suggests that he will struggle in F1 this year. Perhaps he won't challenge his teammate but saying that he might be replaced is absolutely ludicrous. Perhaps people's expectations of him are so high ( or a slight double standard evoked) that anything less than race victories and podium finishes will be seen as a dissapointment.

The expectations for Hamilton are high, but even more so for Alonso. I agree with you - I do not see anything in his background that would lead to a "time-out" during his first season.

2. On that same not of historical experience, I agree with the majority of folks here that speculate on Toyota's lackluster performance in 2007. It is not that I am rooting for them to do poorly. They simply haven't shown anyone that they are going to do something special this year. The definition of insanty is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result every time. That's what Toyota has been doing. I have never seen such a budget mishandled and put to such waste. Change the drivers, fire the engineers, shake things up and blow up whatever mundane stretegy they have been following. Good Luck.

To borrow a phrase from VB, Toyota's management seems to have fallen and hit every limb on the stupid tree.

3. The Massa/ Kimmi relationship will be one to watch. I think at this stage, Massa is ready to be a serious title contender based on car and driver. Let's hope we see fairness within the team throughout the year.

Another very perceptive statement. The dynamics of Ferrari will be very different in the Post-Schumacher Era. Felipe has tasted the great victory of winning his home Grand Prix, plus others, plus poles. He is hungry, and perhaps even more so than Kimi. This could be a very surprising pairing.

ojciec dyrektor
28th January 2007, 19:53
1. Hamilton will suck.
2. McLaren will suck.
3. Fissi will suck and Heiki will outperform him with eyes closed.
4. Kimi won't win the WDC.
5. Super Aguri will be much better than expected to.
6. Rubens and maybe Fissi will be replaced during the season.
7. Haidfeld's last season in BMW and maybe F1.
8. Toyota last season in F1. :)
9. Button will win WDC. Top 3: Button, Massa, Raikkonen.
10.Ferrari will win WCC. Top 3: Ferrari, Honda, ???

ClarkFan
29th January 2007, 02:21

Gee, Knockie, why make a daring prediction like, "the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning?"

:s

ClarkFan

Bezza
29th January 2007, 20:05
Oh yes.

Realistically, Button will return to his normal form - the occasional podium but mostly he will be languishing anywhere between sixth and twelfth. Hamilton will be similar in form to Rosberg last year. Kovalainen, who has done extensive testing for Renault and served as third driver for a year, will win at least once.

A bit of the anti-Brit mentality here clearly.

Face it, Jenson is a bloody good driver. And Honda are the only big team to keep a consistent driver line up. He comfortably outpaced Barrichello in the majority of 2006.

Got to laugh at your observation on Hamilton and Kovalainen as well. I think your point is correct, but you've got the two drivers mixed up. Kovalainen will be like Rosberg in 06, Hamilton will win at least once.

titivie
29th January 2007, 20:30
Renault will regret not having made an offer to JPM

rlenis
29th January 2007, 20:59

That is a good one. The problem there was Pat no being too keen on Montoya's comments outside the track blaming his team on some occasions. I think that was the reason he is not in Renault this year. Briatore always praised his talent since he entered F1 back in 2001.

Unquestionably Monty would have done a much better job in a winning car then Fisichella.

jens
29th January 2007, 21:49
That is a good one. The problem there was Pat no being too keen on Montoya's comments outside the track blaming his team on some occasions. I think that was the reason he is not in Renault this year. Briatore always praised his talent since he entered F1 back in 2001.

Unquestionably Monty would have done a much better job in a winning car then Fisichella.

Not sure. Montoya has made awful lot of errors especially during the last two seasons - accidents, collisions. In 2005 he scores only two more points than Fisi in a faster car (and all in all didn't have more mechanical failures).

People are praising Montoya's raw speed. That is of course good, but this is not the only element of a driver. He lacks of many other aspects (testing, motivation included). That's why I doubt about his ability of becoming WDC. If Renault's line-up for 2007 was Montoya-Kovalainen, it would be at least as doubtful pairing as Fisi-Kova (especially as the Colombian would be new into the team - remember, in 2005 it took him half a year to get used to that McLaren).

rlenis
29th January 2007, 22:46
remember, in 2005 it took him half a year to get used to that McLaren).

You are forgetting the injured shoulder factor.

I agree with you on the awful errors last year. That was partly because his head was not in the racetrack and he was really struggling with the handling of that Mcrapen. However in 2005 he did manage to win 3 races and his incidents in Canada, China and Japan where he lost valuable points cannot be classified entirely as driver errors. He was also taken out by two backmarkers where they were penalized. He was also robbed of a win in Hungary when his engine failed from the lead.

Just on merit and career acomplishments I would have put Montoya in the Renault instead of Fisichella but I respect different opinions.
On performance I think Fisichella was never as closed to Alosno as Montoya was to Kimi in the latter part of 2005 when the car was good fast but unreliable.

harsha
30th January 2007, 03:05
JPM has ruled out a trip back to F1 though :(

Tazio
30th January 2007, 03:19
Red tyres will be jetisoned before the first European G.P.

LeonBrooke
30th January 2007, 06:21
A bit of the anti-Brit mentality here clearly.

Face it, Jenson is a bloody good driver. And Honda are the only big team to keep a consistent driver line up. He comfortably outpaced Barrichello in the majority of 2006.

Got to laugh at your observation on Hamilton and Kovalainen as well. I think your point is correct, but you've got the two drivers mixed up. Kovalainen will be like Rosberg in 06, Hamilton will win at least once.

It's not anti-Brit sentiment. It's realism. Jenson isn't a bloody good driver, he's an adequate one. He may be WDC some time, but not until 2012 or even after.

I think Hamilton will impress everyone a few times during the season but he won't be a revelation, whereas Kovalainen will be hugely quick immediately, and stay that way.

Oh yes, I agree.

Red tyres will be jetisoned before the first European G.P.

You think so?

Ari
30th January 2007, 14:19
1. Mark Webber, 2007 F1 WDC.

jens
30th January 2007, 14:22
What more predictions will be made here, that bigger is the possibility that something will go right. So, keep going! :p :

Placid
30th January 2007, 14:57
My predictions:

1 - Button will have a 4 race winning streak by Silverstone.
2 - I expect Kimi to win the 1st 3 races.
3 - Rubik's Kube shall out pace Heidfeld.
4 - Speed will have 10 points or more and a good unrestricted car.
5 - Coultard will retire with Doornbos taking the helm.
6 - Davidson will score at least 20
7 - Alonso will make a late charge.
8 - Expect Fisi to lose the ride after season's end.
9 - If Bourdais gets the call at 2008, expect him as a US citizen.
10 - Champ: Kimi in 16 rounds. Ferrari in 17th.

GO BEARS. BEAT COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!