PDA

View Full Version : City Centre Closed For Rally Stage

steve davies
19th January 2007, 11:57
It is now confirmed that the City Centre of Bradford will be closed off on Sunday July 22nd for a 'Slowlysideways' Rally Stage as part of The Bradford Classic 2007. In addition the rally cars will then move to the Odsal Stadium for a Super Special Stage.

Saturday will see related Rally Displays as part of a 'Tribute to Rallying'.

This has been months in planning which any motorsport fan will know involves formal application for road closures and the diversion of over 200 bus routes.

SSGB will be fielding fifteen top Group B cars and will be joined by a number of current WRC cars.

This is part of an SSGB calendar that sees our cars out to entertain the Northern Rally Fans in celebration of 25 years of Group B.

Steve Davies
http://www.slowlysideways-gb.co.uk

sal
19th January 2007, 12:46
Great news Steve, should be a great event that also gives me a good excuse to go to Mumtaz again!

FAL
19th January 2007, 15:01
Good to see it's not just bike racing that gets roads closed without a separate Act of Parliament to waive the speed limit...

sal
19th January 2007, 16:12
Good to see it's not just bike racing that gets roads closed without a separate Act of Parliament to waive the speed limit...

Would have thought this is a road closing order where the speed limits will still exist. An act of Parliament like that obtained by the organisers of the Jim Clark rally is still needed if the speed limits are to be broken.

Simmi
19th January 2007, 18:14
Ha thats amazing I didnt for a minute think you were meaning Bradford. Thats 20mins from my house. I bet I cant go for some reason now lol! Thanks for doing this guys!

Tomski
20th January 2007, 20:46
Just hope the people who are behind this publicise it a bit more. Considering I live 15mins away theres been nothing in the local press so far.

m.lowe
20th January 2007, 21:33
Might be worth a trip to Bradistan if theres any 6R4's doing it

FAL
21st January 2007, 00:45
Would have thought this is a road closing order where the speed limits will still exist. An act of Parliament like that obtained by the organisers of the Jim Clark rally is still needed if the speed limits are to be broken.

It's called sarcasm.
I'm only too well aware of exactly what's involved - and equally aware a blind eye will be turned to the Tour de France en Angleterre later this year when it exceeds speed limits, with or without road closures...

sal
21st January 2007, 10:19
Sorry not in the mood for the lowest form of wit. Anyway the local lads in their Pulsar GTIR's and Evo 2's pay scant reagrd to the limts already so it wont make much difference

m.lowe
21st January 2007, 10:53
The organisers of the Promenade Stages Sal get dispensation from their local council to shut off the roads for a certain numbers of hours so they can run the rally so Iwould guess Bradford council would do the same

Just a thought

FAL
21st January 2007, 16:14
The organisers of the Promenade Stages Sal get dispensation from their local council to shut off the roads for a certain numbers of hours so they can run the rally so Iwould guess Bradford council would do the same

Just a thought

Promenade must be private (council) roads (with private speed limits, if there are any) to do that. City centre likely to be public roads - so all the usual problems would apply?
We need to be sarcastic about cycle racing being treated differently from motorsport. It's very important in the debate over road closures and changing the law to delegate to local authorities the right to waive speed limits. Problem is, such legisalation is only likely as part of a package that allows them to reduce speed limits on some rural roads, which could seriously affect road rallying.

sal
21st January 2007, 20:23
Fal

I agree with what you are saying. Also with the proposed increase in forestry charges for UK rallying and the increased pressure on the woods for recreational use and the ever present environmental lobby the RAC MSA and other bodies really need to get their finger out and start pressing for road closure orders If that means money to fund a lobby of Parliament to get a bill thru then so be it. Unlike Ireland and the continent we have never had much in the way of closed roads events JCMR excepted.

This event will be good publicity for rallying and has my support if only thru my pocket..