PDA

View Full Version : Drivers not included on lists

FIA
13th April 2008, 15:32
Does anyone know of any drivers who should be included on F1 Drivers lists, who are not?

Example:

Gary Hocking:- Took part in an F1 Practice session a week before his first race, but was killed during the session.

Jordi Gene:- Attended the 1993 South African Grand Prix, with the Bravo F1 team, but was not allowed to race.

Fridat Test Session Drivers:- Need I say.

woody2goody
14th April 2008, 03:31
Gary Brabham and the other drivers from that pitiful 'Life' effort.

Vincenzo Sospiri from the doomed Lola team of 1997.

GJD
14th April 2008, 06:56
I'd like to have seen Colin Chapman get that Vanwall through practice at Reims in one piece in 1956.

D-Type
18th April 2008, 21:39
And of course Bernie Ecclestone does get included in some lists becausehe practiced one of his Connaughts at monacoin 1958 although, contrary to what some eople say, he had absolutely no intention of trying to qualify for the race

Bleu
21st April 2008, 08:09
Jorge de Bagration. In 1968 entry refused, in 1974 entered but didn't arrive.

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/debagration/biography.html

Osella
22nd April 2008, 18:54
There is a book which has many, even given their own special section at the back...
Steve Small's Grand Prix Who's Who:
-Giovanna Amati, Never qualified for Brabham in 1992, replaced by Damon Hill mid-season.
-Michael Bartels, ditto for Lotus in 1991, replaced by Johnny Herbert. Was going out with Steffi Graf at the time!
-Astrubel Bayardo, never practiced for the French GP 1959)
-Enrico Bertaggia, failed to prequalify for Coloni in 1991, then prevented from trying for Andrea Moda in the same cars in 1992
-Jean-Manuel Bordeau, His car was taken by Lucien Bianchi in the French GP 1961
-Gary Brabham (as mentioned above)
-Tino Brambilla, Vittorio's brother, DNQ for Monza 1963 and had his car given to Rodriguez in 1969
-Gianfranco Brancatelli, Never qualified the hopeless Kauhsen car
-Phil Cade, Car broke at Sebring 69
-Pedro Chaves, See Bertaggia 1991
-Alain de Changy, Did not qualify Monaco 1959
-Colin Chapman, mentioned above
-Kevin Cogan, DNQ for both Canada 80 (Williams) and Long Beach 81 (Tyrrell)
-Alberto Colombo, DNQ for 3 races 1978
-Alberto Crespo, DNQ Monza 1952
-Frank Dochnal, Practice crash in Mexico 61
-Bernard De Dryver, 2 DNQ's in 1978
-Piero Duiso, DNQ for Monza 1952
-Bernard Charles Ecclestone, Practiced for Monaco 1958 (see Bruce Kessler), qualified for Silverstone 1958, but gave his car to Jack Fairman to race
-Carlo Facetti, DNQ Monza 1974
-Willie Ferguson, DNS South Africa 72 as his car blew an engine and the spare was raced by John Love
-Giorgio Francia, Later DTM Alfa driver, prevented from qualifying by Brabham in Monza 77, DNQ for Spain 81 in Osella.
-Hiroshi Fushida, 1 DNS due to blown engine, 1 DNQ in Maki Cosworth in 1975, Zandvoort & Silverstone.
-Davina Galica, Lady racer, DNQ x1 in 76, x2 in 78 for Hesketh.
-Helmut Glockner, Blown engine in practice for German GP 1953
-Brian Gubby, DNQ Silverstone 1965 in private Lotus
-Naoki Hattori, DNQ x2 for Coloni at end of 1991, was refused a superlicence for Brabham in 1992, who went with Amati.
-Hans Heyer, the most famous non-qualifier in F1. started from the paddock on the warm-up, sneaked onto the grid but retired early in the race, Germany 1977
-Tom Jones, DNQ for Canada 1967
-Juan Jover, 'car trouble' in Spain 1951
-Ken Kavanagh, DNQ for Monaco, engine blew in Spa practice 1958
-David Kennedy, Mazda Le Mans racer, failed to qualify for all but 1 race entered in 1980 for Shadow. Actually raced in Spain, which was then removed from the championship after the race.
-Bruce Kessler, DNQ in Bernie's Connaught Monaco 1958
-Mikko Kozarowitsky, DNQ for RAM March 1977 SIlverstone and Anderstorp.
-Willi Krakau, DNS German GP 1952, reason unknown
-Kurt Kuhnke, DNQ for Germany 1963 in obscure BKL Lotus-Borgward
-Masami Kuwashima, Sponsors refused to pay up for his Wolf-Williams drive at Fuji 1976
-Claudio Langes, Season of DNPQ for EuroBrun 1990
-Jean Lucienbonnet, DNQ Monaco 1959
-Perry McCarthy, Did not qualify for any races in 1992 for Andrea Moda, check out f1rejects.com for the full story. The Original Top Gear Stig, and a hero to all non-F1 and many F1 drivers. "Pizza for Ayrton, pizza for Ayrton" :laugh:
-Brian McGuire, Reserve entry for Brands 76, DNQ for Silverstone 77 in his own car.
-Harry Merkel, DNS Germany 62
-Bill Moss, DNQ for Aintree 59
-Jac Nelleman, tried 2 different Brabhams for RAM in Sweden 76, didn't qualify with either of them!
-Karl Oppitzhauser, Prevented from driving the car at Austria 76, due to never having tested an F1 car.
-Alfredo Pian, crashed badly in practice for Monaco 1950
-Ernesto Prioth- DNQ for Italy 1962
-Ken Richardson, BRM V16 test driver, did not have correct racing licence, prevented from driving at Monza 1951
-Giovanni De Riu, Too slow to race at Monza 1954
-Alan Rollinson, DNQ Silverstone 65
-Jean-Claude Ruaz, Blew engine at Monza 1964
-Gunther Seiffert, Car raced by Wolfgang Seidel Nurburgring 69
-Stephen South, DNQ for USGP in 1980 for McLaren. Subsequently badly injured in CanAm accident, replaced at McLaren by Alain Prost.
-Otto Stuppacher, DNQ x3 in 1976 in private Tyrrell.
-Andy Sutcliffe, DNQ Silverstone 1977
-Dennis Taylor, DNQ Aintree 1959
-Andre Testut, Monegasque who failed to qualify for Monaco 1958 & 59
-Tony Trimmer, 6 failed attempts to qualify from 1975 to 1978.
-Jacques Viilleneuve, Bother of Gilles, Failed to qualify for Canada 1981 and 83, and Las Vegas 1981. Nearly unbeatable in FAtlantic at Mont Tremblant however.
-Volker Weidler, DNPQ for Rial in 1991, but won Le Mans in the same year.
-Ted Whiteaway, DNQ Monaco 1955
-Joachim WInkelhock, DNQ for AGS in 1991, Smokin' Jo subsequently BTCC, STW and Le Mans winner for BMW. Uncle of Markus WInkelhock, who at least started (and led!) a race.
-Desire Wilson, never started an F1 champioship GP, but won a non-championship British F1 (Aurora AFX) race at Brands in 1980.
-Emilio Zapico, DNQ Spain 1976.

The copy I have from which I have interpreted the contents was published in 1993, so does not contain drivers such as multiple sportscar champion Vincenzo Sospiri, who DNQ'd for Lola at Melbourne 1997, or any friday drivers etc. I believe the last issue of the book covered up to 1995.
However, Grand Prix driver by driver by Philip Raby is up to date as of 2007 (including Sutil, Markus Winkelhock etc), but misses out on many of the obscure drivers in Steve Small's list of 'drivers who never competed in a World Championship Grand Prix'.

Hope this helps!

Osella
22nd April 2008, 19:10
I believe there should also be a few more that were entered in the early-mid 90's but their teams folded.
Hideki Noda was entered for races for Simtek in 1995 before the team ran out of Funds.
The 1995 Larrousse entry provisionally included Christophe Bouchut, but I do not believe they officially entered any drivers that year as they withdrew prior to round 1.

Jean-Marc Gounon eventually bought his way into Minardi in 1993, but was left out by March's withdrawal from the season after taking cars to South Africa, but not paying for any engines.

FIA
23rd April 2008, 18:11
Thanks Everybody (Especially Osella), thats a lot of help. I am very greatful.

Did Jordi Gene actually attend the 1993 South African Grand Prix?

P.S How come some drivers on Osellas list are included sometimes, and some are not at all like Jac Nelleman?

Mekola
6th May 2008, 01:28
This is like Gastón Mazzacane and Tarso Marques were called-in for 2002 Malaysian GP attempt for the aborted effort of Team Phoenix.

Osella
6th May 2008, 18:41
Thanks Everybody (Especially Osella), thats a lot of help. I am very greatful.

P.S How come some drivers on Osellas list are included sometimes, and some are not at all like Jac Nelleman?

The list I have is fairly comprehensive as it includes all drivers who took part in all grands prix up to and including 1993. However most lists only include those drivers who took part in 'official' practice/qualifying sessions, as opposed to those who may have taken part in free practices only.
Many drivers on 'my' list are included as non-qualifiers, but most lists will only include those who actually started a Grand Prix. (usually including Hans Heyer!)

Of course, there are many more who only tested a lot, but do get on the main lists as they did eventually race in F1 at least once. I am thinking of McNish, Marco Apicella, Paul Belmondo etc.

What I find as a moot point, is whether you include guys like Bas Leinders or Vitaly Petrov, who did take part in one or two Official Friday sessions in the year that was allowed, and exclude drivers like Emmanuel Collard and Gil DeFerran, who actually drove a lot more as official contracted test drivers.