PDA

View Full Version : Finally F1 makes it into Los Angeles Times!

GP-M3
12th April 2008, 00:34
We've had a really long dry spell finding out anything about F1 here in Los Angeles (at least before the internet age). Well the spell has been broken. Two articles this week in the front section of the powerful LA Times... Kimi, Fernando, Lewis... BMW leading the Constructors championship....

Well, no actually. As you probably guessed... it's Max!!

Two days ago, page 4, almost 1/2 page article with his picture (in a suit) (lol) describing the sordid tale, then today on the OP-ED page, with an article by Laura Frost "S&M and tea" <sigh>.

All in all, not the greatest coverage, but then again, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I'm not sure if you have to sign-up, but here are the links:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mosley10apr10,0,7400182.story

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mosley10apr10,0,7400182.story

trumperZ06
12th April 2008, 01:00
:dozey: Many European's have No Idea how little interest remains for Formula One in the States !!!

:p : Max & his cronies have run off the average fans with ...

the Indy FIAsco
internal politics among the regulator's vs. the teams
and last year's vindictive witch hunt of McLaren.

The current Sex Scandal presuming it leads to Maxie's demise, may be the best thing to happen within F-1... if they (BMW, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, & Red Bull) wish to re-enter the U S market.

Valve Bounce
12th April 2008, 01:24
They could make Britney and Paris Hilton grid girls in the US Grand Prix. That would make the headlines, with pictures galore. :p :

Tazio
12th April 2008, 03:23
We've had a really long dry spell finding out anything about F1 here in Los Angeles (at least before the internet age). Well the spell has been broken. Two articles this week in the front section of the powerful LA Times... Kimi, Fernando, Lewis... BMW leading the Constructors championship....

Two days ago, page 4, almost 1/2 page article with his picture (in a suit) (lol) describing the sordid tale, then today on the OP-ED page, with an article by Laura Frost "S&M and tea" <sigh>.

All in all, not the greatest coverage, but then again, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mosley10apr10,0,7400182.storyThe San Diego Union Tribune Dedicates it's entire "Wheels" section of its Sports page to F1 on the Wednesday proceeiing the start of each season. "Wheels" is a once a week insert, usually 4to 6 pages inserted into the sports section. And usually devotes a couple of paragraphs a week during racing season to F1 news. If a fish wrap like "The Union" has it, I'm surprised that the L.A.Times hasn't. I suggest you haven't been looking hard enough!
The Links you provided are from World News
I suggest you look in the sports section. There is probably a day that they concentrate on autosports. Go past the Nascar, Drag racing, Indy, or Champ(whateverthey call it now)Car, Offroad, (motorcycle, and Truck) Sprintcar, and Dirt track you will find F1 results and even a parargraph or two! about current events!

GP-M3
12th April 2008, 04:20
Brilliant! ? I never thought of that....

Actually, I'm talking about stories and updates... on rare occasion there is an odd paragraph on it, but not like these two real articles. Yes, on occasion, the results are listed, but no context, etc.

I've been reading the paper daily for nearly 30 years, so I'm pretty sure I've looked it over. Shav Glick used to write some brief stories on F1 back in the 80's but since then there is nothing of significance in this excellent newspaper.

I suggest you look in the sports section. There is probably a day that they concentrate on autosports. Go past the Nascar, Drag racing, Indy, or Champ(whateverthey call it now)Car, Offroad, (motorcycle, and Truck) Sprintcar, and Dirt track you will find F1 results and even a parargraph or two! about current events!

Tazio
12th April 2008, 04:33
Brilliant! ? I never thought of that....

Actually, I'm talking about stories and updates... on rare occasion there is an odd paragraph on it, but not like these two real articles. Yes, on occasion, the results are listed, but no context, etc.

I've been reading the paper daily for nearly 30 years, so I'm pretty sure I've looked it over. Shav Glick used to write some brief stories on F1 back in the 80's but since then there is nothing of significance in this excellent newspaper.Indeed a shame for such an excellent Daily!

Valve Bounce
12th April 2008, 05:26

Look!! let's be serious here: you have a computer, the internet, and you can get all the news you want there for free. Why bother to pay for a local rag?

call_me_andrew
12th April 2008, 07:08
Flipping through the channels the other day I saw Fox News spent 3 minutes covering it. But I never heard it mentioned on CNN or MSNBC.

Look!! let's be serious here: you have a computer, the internet, and you can get all the news you want there for free. Why bother to pay for a local rag?

When winter starts, newspapers make excellent kindling.

wmcot
12th April 2008, 08:31
:dozey: Many European's have No Idea how little interest remains for Formula One in the States !!!

Probably because it's publicized so little, especially now that the USGP is gone! On standard, network TV we get 4 tape delayed races a year...add to that the fact that Derek Daly provides the color commentary and goes through his entire "these are the finest racing cars in the world" speech each broadcast and it's no wonder there is no interest.

Worse, nobody understands what F1 is! If I mention to somebody that I like F1 racing, they usually reply, "Oh, do you mean NASCAR?"

If Bernie would spend a few bucks and advertise, there could be a huge market here...but he doesn't need the USA! :(

ChrisS
12th April 2008, 09:49
Probably because it's publicized so little, especially now that the USGP is gone! On standard, network TV we get 4 tape delayed races a year...add to that the fact that Derek Daly provides the color commentary and goes through his entire "these are the finest racing cars in the world" speech each broadcast and it's no wonder there is no interest.

Worse, nobody understands what F1 is! If I mention to somebody that I like F1 racing, they usually reply, "Oh, do you mean NASCAR?"

If Bernie would spend a few bucks and advertise, there could be a huge market here...but he doesn't need the USA! :(

It could be worst, last year the CBS commentators referred to MotoGP as the "NASCAR of motorcycles" :rolleyes:

Tomi
12th April 2008, 10:43
It could be worst, last year the CBS commentators referred to MotoGP as the "NASCAR of motorcycles" :rolleyes:

LOL :)

Tazio
12th April 2008, 10:57

I've got a slightly different take! I agree there is a disproportionate amount of apathy towards F1 compared to other forms of racing in the Home of the Brave , given the large number of professed race fans that reside here. I wouldn't be too quick to assign all the blame to Bernie. The network that is the largest promoter of NASCAR is Fair, and Balanced as they are proud to display to the American public The fastest, most mechanically, electronically, and aerodynamically advanced machinery wreaking havoc on Third World Countries! and the threat of it on those who dare to object! Who needs F1 when you have F16 :beer:

GP-M3
12th April 2008, 19:02
All in all, the point was the "irony". We don't really need F1 coverage in the mainstream excellent newspapers we have here, though it would be nice.

But the point was that, it took the MAX thing, and wasn't Kimi or Fernando or BMW or what have you, to finally get a decent article in the newspaper.

Coverage here does suck, and I think that the average 'home of the Brave' viewer here thinks of F1 as 'that French thing'. French being code word here for any negative, including sissy and weak. (But with a little more observation really means 'something I don't understand')

So we do have excellent coverage now from Speed TV and of course the Inet... but at least for now, F1 will remain the whippen' boy of motor racing in the hearts of rah, rah USA, USA, USA mainstream media and racing fans.

Tazio
12th April 2008, 20:35
All in all, the point was the "irony". We don't really need F1 coverage in the mainstream excellent newspapers we have here, though it would be nice.

But the point was that, it took the MAX thing, and wasn't Kimi or Fernando or BMW or what have you, to finally get a decent article in the newspaper.

Coverage here does suck, and I think that the average 'home of the Brave' viewer here thinks of F1 as 'that French thing'. French being code word here for any negative, including sissy and weak. (But with a little more observation really means 'something I don't understand')

So we do have excellent coverage now from Speed TV and of course the Inet... but at least for now, F1 will remain the whippen' boy of motor racing in the hearts of rah, rah USA, USA, USA mainstream media and racing fans.Well stated!!(not using code!) ;)

markabilly
12th April 2008, 21:18

....... F1 will remain the whippen' boy of motor racing in the hearts of rah, rah USA, USA, USA mainstream media and racing fans.

"decent"??????

no puns intended, i hope!!!!

markabilly
13th April 2008, 00:20
Now even newsweek is commenting--strange headlines about the brits, is that truly PC???

http://www.newsweek.com/id/131698?from=rss

And earlier time magazine ran their number about formula one---

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1728032,00.html

Valve Bounce
13th April 2008, 00:56

So we do have excellent coverage now from Speed TV and of course the Inet... but at least for now, F1 will remain the whippen' boy of motor racing in the hearts of rah, rah USA, USA, USA mainstream media and racing fans.

I can remember a time before the internet in Australia when we had no F1 coverage at all. Zero.
The only sources of motorsport news were two magazines from England and Road & Track and Sports Car Illustrated from the USA. Autocar from England and The Motor were the best source of motorracing, but they arrived in Brisbane over a month after publication. Sometimes, if you ere really lucky, you might find a copy of Motorsport in a newsagent. There was nothing on TV, but, come to think of it, very few people here could afford a TV set.
So, what can I say? Things are looking up!

call_me_andrew
13th April 2008, 05:16
Now even newsweek is commenting--strange headlines about the brits, is that truly PC???

http://www.newsweek.com/id/131698?from=rss

Puns are fair game.

wmcot
13th April 2008, 07:47
I've got a slightly different take! I agree there is a disproportionate amount of apathy towards F1 compared to other forms of racing in the Home of the Brave , given the large number of professed race fans that reside here. I wouldn't be too quick to assign all the blame to Bernie. The network that is the largest promoter of NASCAR is Fair, and Balanced as they are proud to display to the American public The fastest, most mechanically, electronically, and aerodynamically advanced machinery wreaking havoc on Third World Countries! and the threat of it on those who dare to object! Who needs F1 when you have F16 :beer:

I agree that the networks share the blame, but is that because they don't want to pay a fortune to Bernie for a sport that is not well known? Sadly, I see the USA being linked solely to NASCAR for the distant future.

There is some decent racing being shown like IRL and ALMS but these are only a handful of races and only on Sundays where there is not some more popular sport to put on the tube.

I can't justify paying premium cable or satellite charges every month for 18-20 races during an entire year!

ten-tenths
13th April 2008, 09:16
i missed the LA times article. i stopped subscribing a while back but its good to see them at least mentioning it. socal rocks!

Tazio
13th April 2008, 09:25
I agree that the networks share the blame, but is that because they don't want to pay a fortune to Bernie for a sport that is not well known? Sadly, I see the USA being linked solely to NASCAR for the distant future.

There is some decent racing being shown like IRL and ALMS but these are only a handful of races and only on Sundays where there is not some more popular sport to put on the tube.

I can't justify paying premium cable or satellite charges every month for 18-20 races during an entire year!That is a comendable perspective from a sports fan with high moral,
and etical standards. I watch it free of cost over the internet.
There are three streaming souces currently available that I know of.
Oh the shame!!!! :beer:

grantb4
13th April 2008, 17:59

And it's sad because they have an excellent writer in Dan Neil (and he drives a '59 MGA!). He has an automotive column and another great one called 800 words.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil-sg,0,5627290.storygallery

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sleepless/2007/06/the_24_hours_of.html

markabilly
13th April 2008, 19:04
And it's sad because they have an excellent writer in Dan Neil (and he drives a '59 MGA!). He has an automotive column and another great one called 800 words.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil-sg,0,5627290.storygallery

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sleepless/2007/06/the_24_hours_of.html
Interesting opinion piece from LA Times, that compares Julie Myers and Max problems, concluding that Meyers needed to be gone, but somewhat relunctant to say the same about max, since after all, it is merely another racing league.

The conclusion towards the end is somewhat interesting:
" The class dimensions in Mosley's case are equally rich. Formula One racing's frisson of jet-setting high style is not what it used to be. In the U.S., open-wheel racing hangs on as an item of interest to the gentry of Indianapolis but is everywhere else a distant also-ran to the more populist NASCAR -- which in turn is outgrowing its trailer-park image by attracting increasing numbers of international defectors from Formula One. In this context, Mosley's taste for what looks like fairly vanilla B&D counts as another disappointment from the fading aristocracy................."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-mosley12apr12,0,5899454.story

Tazio
13th April 2008, 19:58
Interesting opinion piece from LA Times, that compares Julie Myers and Max problems, concluding that Meyers needed to be gone, but somewhat relunctant to say the same about max, since after all, it is merely another racing league.

The conclusion towards the end is somewhat interesting:
" The class dimensions in Mosley's case are equally rich. Formula One racing's frisson of jet-setting high style is not what it used to be. In the U.S., open-wheel racing hangs on as an item of interest to the gentry of Indianapolis but is everywhere else a distant also-ran to the more populist NASCAR -- which in turn is outgrowing its trailer-park image by attracting increasing numbers of international defectors from Formula One. In this context, Mosley's taste for what looks like fairly vanilla B&D counts as another disappointment from the fading aristocracy................."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-mosley12apr12,0,5899454.story

Bully!!