PDA

View Full Version : The popularity of ALMS

wedge
11th April 2008, 13:55
On the IRL/CCWS forums, there were races where more fans turned up for the ALMS races in the double-header meetings which left my head scratching.

Sure, the open wheel split had something to do with it but what other factors?

Corvettes in GT1/death of Trans-Am, Penske/Porsche ending Audi domination leading to more interest in the series?

DavePI2
11th April 2008, 21:51
Very good question. At midohio although the crowd was impressive for alms it certainly was no where close to Indycar. The thing I think most people like about alms is the high tech cars in the pt series, and the fact if you want to watch a stock car race the gt series is a hell of a lost closer then any cup race is. Alms had a advertising slogan a few years back "the cars are the stars". It certainly is true the cars look and sound like real race cars and the pt cars are awsome. Now as for myself it was lemans racing that made me fall in love with auto racing way back in the late 60's. Who who was alive then can forget the great gt40 and the 917.

David

Jag_Warrior
12th April 2008, 20:00
On the IRL/CCWS forums, there were races where more fans turned up for the ALMS races in the double-header meetings which left my head scratching.

Corvettes in GT1/death of Trans-Am, Penske/Porsche ending Audi domination leading to more interest in the series?

ALMS' TV ratings have generally been equal to or greater than open wheel's ratings since at least 2005. ALMS provides a variety in car types, manufacturer nameplates and engines that open wheel lost a long time ago. Also, the various ALMS sponsors have done a good job of promoting the series, though it's not made it into the mainstream (yet).

With the mix of vehicle types, the racing is usually quite good, if not exciting. And it doesn't hurt a cause when Ferraris, Porsches and Corvettes are in the show. Those are names that even non-gearheads can relate to. AOWR doesn't have as much to offer in that area. IMO, that's why Graham Rahal's win was universally praised in the IRL. It appears that Danica will need a whole bunch of luck (if not some fanciful calls from race control) to win a race. Marco is hit or miss most weekends. AOWR needs a "name driver" to carry the torch.

wmcot
14th April 2008, 06:54

I think the "four races within one" format really adds to the excitement. It's great to see two drivers doing battle on the track, but it's even better when the have to watch out for faster/slower cars at the same time. It's only too bad that the P1 and GT1 classes don't have more competition.

There is also greater fan interest when some of the cars racing (Ferrari, Corvette, Porsche, Viper, Aston Martin) actually relate to similar cars that a person (a rich one) could own and drive on the road. It's hard to relate to the IRL when you are watching a bunch of Lolas fighting it out on track and then get into your Toyota for the drive home - not as much similarity there...

pits4me
15th April 2008, 03:06
ALMS' TV ratings have generally been equal to or greater than open wheel's ratings since at least 2005. ALMS provides a variety in car types, manufacturer nameplates and engines that open wheel lost a long time ago. Also, the various ALMS sponsors have done a good job of promoting the series, though it's not made it into the mainstream (yet).

With the mix of vehicle types, the racing is usually quite good, if not exciting. And it doesn't hurt a cause when Ferraris, Porsches and Corvettes are in the show. Those are names that even non-gearheads can relate to. AOWR doesn't have as much to offer in that area. IMO, that's why Graham Rahal's win was universally praised in the IRL. It appears that Danica will need a whole bunch of luck (if not some fanciful calls from race control) to win a race. Marco is hit or miss most weekends. AOWR needs a "name driver" to carry the torch.

ALMS brings a style of racing that many former OW road racing fans can relate to AND APPRECIATE.

Seeing the factory support down pit lane and arounf the paddock is amazing. It reminds me of the old CART days when we had Mercedes, Ford, Honda, and Toyota as well as a full contingent of supporting sponsors.

The way Acura came to "town" last year speaks volumes. Penske's Porsche win at Sebring, Bobby Rahal bringing back BMW in 2009. To top it off, a great 10th anniversary celebration.

asphaultpainter29
29th April 2008, 18:46
ALMS is an entertaining series to watch on TV, but I don't like how some cars in some classes can take off certain races. For instance the Aston Martin in GT1. I know they weren't there at the Long Beach race b/c they were in a big crash at St. Petersburg but I know they have taken off some races without being involved in a big wreck. I just think all cars should be mandated to be in every race, like the other big series out there. So that the Corvette and Aston Martin drivers can have more exciting battles.

I also kind of miss the old Audio Pros from a few years ago, that were the fastest things around. It was cool watching them duke it out with the Bentley Pros also. I don't think the Audis they have now are as fast as they were 5 years ago or so. The Audi and Porche battles now are pretty cool even though they are in different classes. I still enjoy ALMS races though! :vader:

DavePI2
30th April 2008, 00:02
Believe me as a big fan of alms I would love to see them there every race. It is a shame the entries are dowm for the prototypes at Miller. Unfortunately that is a problem with a high cost series. It is not uncommon though to see entries drop before lemans and then pick up after the long layoff though. I am sure that will happen this year also. Last year there werer 14 prototypes at midohio and I have not doubt there will be at least that many this year.

David

wbcobrar
29th May 2008, 03:43
I consider myself a fairly well rounded motorsports fan . I watch almost every lap of NASCAR , am returning as an American open wheel fan , I hit one or two local short and / or dirt track events a year , love drag raceing ; you get the picture . But for a live event NOTHING comes close to ALMS . I have skipped out on two different good friends weddings to camp at the august Road America event . I'ts the one yearly ritual that has survived 10 years of marrage. I've often said even if I was blind I would still go , because with flat 6 or diesel turbo V12,s , or American V8,s,....etc ,ALMS is the ultimate " car gye (or girl )" experience . While some series focus on "fair competetion" and the driver , or advancing wind tunnel technology, or whatever, ALMS is all about the cars , and there is something for everyone. One of my friends is a big Chevy lover, another is in love with Porsche , my cousin diggs the AUDI , I like the blue oval ,so I pull for the Panos (with Ford modular power), and pray for Kevin Doran to get his s**t togeather on the long rumered Ford GT. The point is ALMS on TV is good , in the flesh its down right unrivaled . Almost every friend that has come to the race has joined the yearly pilgramage to the Mecca of motorsports that is ALMS!!!!

Paul Holroyd
29th May 2008, 09:13
The ALMS is growing and growing each year both in the US and in UK with the help of Motors TV who infact show more live un-interrupted coverage of the races than Speed TV, Every time Speed goes’ to commercial break we still have live TV here in the UK.

The ALMS is also bigger than the LMS now, I think that's down to pricing...it's so much cheaper to go to live events in the US than it is here in UK or Europe.

I also think that has the ALMS grows the tracks will have to too to accommodate the extra cars.

Well done America when you do something you do it right, keep it coming

DavePI2
29th May 2008, 11:37
that is a good point about the exstra cars. ALMS is growing in field size, and some tracks like lime rock may have trouble in the future with field size. I am not sure if mid ohio won't also. Those are two tracks that run separate races in rolex for pt and gt classes. I figure there might be as many as 33 cars in the field at midohio so it will be interesting to see what happens in the future if the field size, especially the pt and gt1 grow any larger.

David

wedge
29th May 2008, 13:04
It's like the 90s with GTs/GT1/GTP and WSC/IMSA in the 80s

Endurance is now popular again.

So why is it manufacturers are drawn specifically to ALMS? Do we have to thank Don Panoz for making ALMS the premier endurance series?

Nethead
30th May 2008, 20:23
Very good question. At midohio although the crowd was impressive for alms it certainly was no where close to Indycar. The thing I think most people like about alms is the high tech cars in the pt series, and the fact if you want to watch a stock car race the gt series is a hell of a lost closer then any cup race is. Alms had a advertising slogan a few years back "the cars are the stars". It certainly is true the cars look and sound like real race cars and the pt cars are awsome. Now as for myself it was lemans racing that made me fall in love with auto racing way back in the late 60's. Who who was alive then can forget the great gt40 and the 917.

David

David: Those glory days may live again! Now that a naturally-aspirated 5.0L 'Cammer has replaced the supercharged 5.4L in several recent-edition Ford GTs, the Ford GT has become a force to reckon with in FIA GT3 sportscar racing! Ford GTs with the 5.0 (developed by Roush Yates Engines from the Mustang FR500C's R50 'Cammer) have won the first four FIA GT3 races, the first two German ADAC GT Masters events, and got a second and a win in the first two Brazilian GT3 Championship races! Seven wins and a second in the first eight races of 2008! You can expect yet more penalty weight and yet an even more severe intake restriction on this 5.0 after it shamed Vipers, Z06Rs, and everything European in GT3! And the GT4 version of this engine powered Eric de Doncker to the GT4 European Driver's Championship in 2007 and de Doncker has amassed a big lead in the GT4 European Driver's Championship in 2008. The demand has gotten so great that Ford has been persuaded to re-open Ford GT chassis manufacturing for racecars only. Startling events, huh? :eek:

Miatanut
2nd June 2008, 01:09
ISo why is it manufacturers are drawn specifically to ALMS? Do we have to thank Don Panoz for making ALMS the premier endurance series?

Most importantly, it's reasonably well-run.

Outside of that, the rules are a lot more open. Teams aren't building clone cars from a recipe in a narrow box defined by the rules (how many cylinders, displacement, etc.). Instead there are multiple ways to get there and some ways will work better at tight tracks (LMP2), some better at open tracks (LMP1) and with GT2, they maintain a pretty even playing field.

Racing for gearheads. Like it used to be!

I still miss the '90's GTP's, and I really look forward to the closed prototypes coming back in volume, but even as it is now, it's the best racing product available in north America.

Fangio
2nd June 2008, 19:18
The point is ALMS on TV is good , in the flesh its down right unrivaled . Almost every friend that has come to the race has joined the yearly pilgramage to the Mecca of motorsports that is ALMS!!!!

I`ll echo this. I have been to stand-alone Indycar and Nascar races, but when I witnessed the combined Indy/ALMS events, the sports cars were the most amazing sight to see over that weekend, especially after an Indy car was on the track...... equivalent, or superior to F1 in the WOW factor.
I`ll add that the ALMS on TV can have a boring feel, depending on the announcers, and the chopped up broadcasts. It`s something you must see in person....somewhat like a hockey game. :D

AAReagles
26th June 2008, 21:06
... Now as for myself it was lemans racing that made me fall in love with auto racing way back in the late 60's. Who who was alive then can forget the great gt40 and the 917.

David

I was much too young then to appreciate the sport. But I've always appreciated the era you mentioned. Though I didn't mind the days of IMSA GT series with its Lolas, Porsche 935s, Ford (capris?), etc., once I discovered it in the 1980s.

pits4me
27th June 2008, 06:03
Yes, the silk cut Jags at Del Mar were the days.

The last WSC race I attended (in LV) was a joke. Can't say I miss Andy Evans but the Panoz Batmobiles were something to see.

What Scott Atherton and Tim Mayer have accomplished in sportscars is amazing. The LMP2 class is shaping up to be a great battle between Porsche and Acura. LMP1 is overdue for some new blood. I hear its just around the corner. I miss the Aston Martin GT1 giving the Corvettes a run.

Miatanut
27th June 2008, 07:51
Yes, the silk cut Jags at Del Mar were the days.

For me, the silk cut Jags were second only to the RX792P in being a drop-dead beauty.

The new Lola Aston Martin is pretty easy on the eyes.

28th July 2008, 09:46
great post. Thank you. here is some of my thought.Latitude D620 (http://www.batteryfast.com/dell/D620.php)

wedge
6th April 2009, 14:17
Wonder whether ALMS can sustain popularity now that Audi will be there for the blue riband races, no Porsche Spyders, struggled for 20 cars at St. Pete.

Good TV coverage all round, Acuras making an effort, GT2 is competitive as it has ever been, big name drivers like de Ferran, Brabham, Sharp, Fernandez, Diaz.

I think its still good, better than even when Audi dominated in the early 2000s.

dj4monie
17th April 2009, 07:04
I am motorsport fan period. I watch most of it. I've never been big about 2 wheeled sports but James Stewart for obvious reasons I follow and I do watch some tape delayed World Super Bike or MotoGP on Speed when I'm "bored" and remember they are on.

ALMS is fairly popular with the "purist". Outside of that however, it still not mainstream.

As long as open wheel was split it, it put a wedge between the road racing CART supporters and the "We Want American Drivers" supporters of the IRL.

In the end, IRL still had non US drivers dominating the series, save for Sam Hornish and ran ovals exclusively. While CART had better overall race (IMHO), but Sebass dominated until some F3/A1GP drivers started getting rides, but he still won...

Anywho...

ALMS is on TV, LIVE!

Only two TD (Tape Delay) races this year that I know of Long Beach on ABC and Road Mid Ohio on NBC.

Too bad Audi and "The Lion" aren't here to get REAL TV time. The Spa 1000km lead up to Le Mans will be shown chopped up. If you live in Europe you can buy online streaming of the event.

I keep degressing but I can't help it..lol

The ALMS is fine, as the economy goes, so does the ALMS. I hope things will improve for Business come 2010, 2011. If car sales and general sales go up, you'll have more ad money available for sponsorship. T-Mobile stepped up for VICI Racing and I hope that is a sign of things to come.

Enough people watch it to put it on TV, but out drawing anything but IRL at the moment is pie in the sky stuff.

wmcot
19th May 2009, 06:55
All it would take is for a few big named NASCAR drivers to run in ALMS and the popularity would soar in the US. Of course, the drivers would have to learn to turn both directions! ;)

nigelred5
19th May 2009, 17:41
The few that run occasionally in Grand Am do just fine. Now if we can just get those two sides together. There's no reason the P1/P2's couldn't run a seperate class from the DP's. I wish ALMS would venture closer to me than Mid-Ohio..

anthonyvop
20th May 2009, 21:45
All it would take is for a few big named NASCAR drivers to run in ALMS and the popularity would soar in the US. Of course, the drivers would have to learn to turn both directions! ;)

they tried that with Dale Jr. You can't get more popular than that. Now that NASCAR totally controls Grand-Am don't expect to see any Cup Drivers in the ALMS anytime soon.

anthonyvop
20th May 2009, 21:48
The few that run occasionally in Grand Am do just fine. Now if we can just get those two sides together. There's no reason the P1/P2's couldn't run a seperate class from the DP's. I wish ALMS would venture closer to me than Mid-Ohio..

Grand-Am would never allow any LMP-1 or LMP-2 Class cars to run in their series as they would blow the DP's doors off.

Only chance is if ALMS alows DP to run in their race.

I have suggested that on more than on occasion. Let the DP's run in selected events(Like Sebring) but allow them bigger restricters so their times are closer to the LMP's instead of the GT-2s

wmcot
21st May 2009, 06:04
Grand-Am would never allow any LMP-1 or LMP-2 Class cars to run in their series as they would blow the DP's doors off.

Only chance is if ALMS alows DP to run in their race.

I have suggested that on more than on occasion. Let the DP's run in selected events(Like Sebring) but allow them bigger restricters so their times are closer to the LMP's instead of the GT-2s

That would be interesting - you'd have the LMP's, the GT2's and the "VW beetles on steroids" all running together. :)

Bob Riebe
23rd May 2009, 20:31
That would be interesting - you'd have the LMP's, the GT2's and the "VW beetles on steroids" all running together. :)
IT all depends on what hp limitations the IMSA would restrict the DPs with.
They can go a lot faster than they do, they are restricted to the levels they reach.