PDA

View Full Version : Graham on Letterman Show

ChicagocrewIRL
10th April 2008, 23:27
Graham Rahal will be a guest on the Late Show with David Letterman on CBS April 16th. Check your local listings for times and channel.

Chaparral66
12th April 2008, 04:40
Graham Rahal will be a guest on the Late Show with David Letterman on CBS April 16th. Check your local listings for times and channel.

Gotta see that one. Say, what are the odds that dad Bobby gave instructions to his drivers not to wreck Graham...unless it's for the win? :)

garyshell
12th April 2008, 18:38
Gotta see that one. Say, what are the odds that dad Bobby gave instructions to his drivers not to wreck Graham...unless it's for the win? :)

I would venture a guess that this admonition is given by all owners about all other drivers at every race. In open wheel, it is prettry tough to wreck someone without the very real risk of also taking yourself out. With fenders on the car, it can be done with minimal risk. Bit without em, you are just as likely to end your own day as you are to end the other guy's.

Gary

garyshell
17th April 2008, 05:45
Wow! What a GREAT interview. I just had an idea, let's start a petition to get Letterman in the broadcast booth!

Gary

nigelred5
17th April 2008, 13:23
CBS might not like that too much.

champmember
17th April 2008, 14:18
My wife and I both thought it was a good interview as well, but noticed one thing missing, the plugs. (even my wife noticed it) I never heard the team name or sponsor mentioned. Yes, Hole in the Wall is not a typical sponsor, but the name was still on the car and should still get the plug.

Anyone agree or disagree, or did I just miss it???

garyshell
17th April 2008, 14:20
CBS might not like that too much.

If he WANTED to do it, he'd tell CBS to kiss his...

Gary

gofastandwynn
17th April 2008, 14:31

Gary

Remember also that Dave owns his show, not CBS.

millencolin
17th April 2008, 15:04
great interview. the bit with the champers was clever. Very well spoken young man. If I was a CEO in a company in the states, I would get this guy to bea spokesman immediately. Great media skills, famous name and the kid can drive! C'mon corporate America, get ya arse into gear!

garyshell
17th April 2008, 16:19

Gary

Remember also that Dave owns his show, not CBS.

Precisely why I said what I did.

Gary

garyshell
17th April 2008, 16:23
My wife and I both thought it was a good interview as well, but noticed one thing missing, the plugs. (even my wife noticed it) I never heard the team name or sponsor mentioned. Yes, Hole in the Wall is not a typical sponsor, but the name was still on the car and should still get the plug.

Anyone agree or disagree, or did I just miss it???

If memory serves me, none of the interviews Dave has done with ANY driver or even with Paul Newman, have ever mentioned the sponsors, as sponsors. He has talked to Paul about the charity I believe, but not in the context of racing talk. The point is, Dave always makes these interviews about the person, not realy even the team let alone the sponsor. I don't think that is to slight either the team or sponsor, just shows Dave's affinity to the drivers. He really admires them a lot and it shows. Truth be told, I bet he wishes it were his cheeks in the seat on race day.

Gary

champmember
17th April 2008, 18:12
If memory serves me, none of the interviews Dave has done with ANY driver or even with Paul Newman, have ever mentioned the sponsors, as sponsors. He has talked to Paul about the charity I believe, but not in the context of racing talk. The point is, Dave always makes these interviews about the person, not realy even the team let alone the sponsor. I don't think that is to slight either the team or sponsor, just shows Dave's affinity to the drivers. He really admires them a lot and it shows. Truth be told, I bet he wishes it were his cheeks in the seat on race day.

Gary

I guess I will have to pay closer attention in the future when he has any other drivers on.

nigelred5
17th April 2008, 18:29
I believe that's a good assessment Gary.,Even when he's had a jab here or there at both series, it's usually been about spotlighting the driver.

Well the last contract was for $31+ million. Haven't seen what his most recent extension was for, but I bet it keeps Dave squarely under CBS's wing. I like Dave a lot but I'd be afraid it would end up like Miller on MNF even though Dave is nothing like Miller.

NickFalzone
18th April 2008, 20:05
Remember that one of Dave's first tv gigs was the Indy 500. Clearly he invites the open-wheel drivers for his own amusement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sMnBmHzAg0

garyshell
18th April 2008, 20:33
I think it's more than amuzement. Clearly he admires the drivers, and like I said earlier I think it is a bit of vicarious living for Dave. Hell, he grew up in Indianapolis in the late forties early fifties, how could he NOT want to be a race car driver?

I grew up a hundred miles away also in the late fifties and the press coverage HERE was incredible. It was all over the tv and newspapers throughout the month of May.

Gary