PDA

View Full Version : DHL Fastest lap award

Mikeall
10th April 2008, 14:20
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2008/dhl_fastest_laps.html

Heidfeld was criticised on the ITV commentary for setting a fastest lap near the end of the Malaysian GP, despite the fact that everyone was setting personal best laps near the end as the track was getting rubbered in. But there is also the motivation of the DHL fastest lap award which has only been around for a year. I'm not sure if there is a prize but I'm sure there's some kind of trophy: Raikkonen won it last year on ahead of Massa on countback to third fastest laps. And this year Kovalainen already has two fastest laps to Heidfeld's one. Maybe only those two realise its going on as Kovalainen only set his best lap the lap after Heidfeld went fastest.

Mikeall
10th April 2008, 14:25
Another weird thing is that Kovalainen set the four fastest laps of the race on laps 49 to 52. Maybe he was trying to make sure no one beat his time but he himself couldn't beat his lap 49 time and bear in mind this was all going on when comfortably clear of Trulli and no where near Heidfeld.

ioan
10th April 2008, 16:17
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of this DHL Fastest lap Award.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Storm
10th April 2008, 16:25
I wasn't aware of this one either...would be good to see if they do make a point for fastest lap, would make things exciting towards the end.

jso1985
10th April 2008, 22:26
Heidfeld was criticised on the ITV commentary...

:s is there any way to please some people? :rolleyes:
I fail to see why could someone be criticised for trying to achieve something :s

yodasarmpit
10th April 2008, 23:32
I fail to see why could someone be criticised for trying to achieve something :s I don't think it was so much a criticism, more an observation that if he was able to put in those times near the end, why not earlier when it mattered.

call_me_andrew
10th April 2008, 23:51
I fail to see why could someone be criticised for trying to achieve something :s

Imagine if he won the race.

"Heidfeld finished sooner than everyone else today. Who's he trying to impress?"

woody2goody
11th April 2008, 00:21
I don't think it makes a difference if someone sets their best lap on lap 1 or lap 60. I think Nick was trying to push Kubica as hard as he could, who in turn was pushing the Ferraris. I think Nick had to go as fast as he did because he could have picked up the pieces of any mistakes by the top 3.

tinchote
11th April 2008, 04:23
I don't think it was so much a criticism, more an observation that if he was able to put in those times near the end, why not earlier when it mattered.

A silly observation, because no F1 car can be driven at maximum speed for more than a few laps. Otherwise you would certainly ruin your tyres and maybe some other components too.

leopard
11th April 2008, 05:46
DHL have various merchandise for the winner: year-end parcel, stationery, or DHL umbrella. :D ;)

ShiftingGears
11th April 2008, 07:47
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of this DHL Fastest lap Award.
Thanks for sharing! :)

It's good to have - very interesting. Last year the winner between Kimi and Felipe was decided at Brazil, as they both had the same number of fastest and second fastest laps. Kimi had more third fastest laps :p :

Dzeidzei
11th April 2008, 08:25
It's good to have - very interesting. Last year the winner between Kimi and Felipe was decided at Brazil, as they both had the same number of fastest and second fastest laps. Kimi had more third fastest laps :p :

Did anyone tell Kimi that he won? Does he know?

:)

Bytheway, there should be a Finnish Post Office prize as well. And that could be awarded to the driver who fails to finish in most races.

And a BA prize. For a team thatīs never on time in the paddock and loses the car on the way. And half of the engineers.

The possibilities are endless. Can anyone think of a Max Mosley prize?

Tazio
11th April 2008, 10:37
Did anyone tell Kimi that he won?

:) That's pretty funny D :p :

Can anyone think of a Max Mosley prize?

The Max Mosley prize should go to the track marshal recognized as making the best cotribution in performing his duty!
His Prize would be one night in a hotel room with the five pit babes of his choice.
After tying him up on a chair the girls empty his wallet use his credit card to withdraw $500 each
and in lipstick write on the mirror above the bed "There's no Fool like an old Fool"

leopard
11th April 2008, 10:56
Did anyone tell Kimi that he won? Does he know?

:)

Massa was lucky for not winning it. He doesn't need anybody to clarify it.

Knock-on
11th April 2008, 11:30
:) That's pretty funny D :p :

The Max Mosley prize should go to the track marshal recognized as making the best cotribution in performing his duty!
His Prize would be one night in a hotel room with the five pit babes of his choice.
After tying him up on a chair the girls empty his wallet use his credit card to withdraw $500 each
and in lipstick write on the mirror above the bed "There's no Fool like an old Fool"

You'll go straight to hell for that one. You know the secret police will confiscate your computer for daring to mention Tibet, Mugabee or Max's perversions :laugh:

leopard
11th April 2008, 11:37
Two, supposedly more interesting than five or any number. ;)

Tazio
12th April 2008, 04:58
Two, supposedly more interesting than five or any number. ;) Ah Ha! So the "Cat" is out! Now we know why the Leopard is "sleeping".
Too tired from chasing feline(s)! ;)
Or just resting after having caught them? ;)