PDA

View Full Version : Luca Rosetti's future

Sulland
9th April 2008, 22:18
Rosetti has won all 3 IRC events he has driven so far. And also on gravel, that is not his favorite surface. That is impressive, and does he continue in this pace I am sure he will be picked up by a WRC team !

Agree ?

N.O.T
9th April 2008, 23:59
no....

Helstar
10th April 2008, 03:01
no....
Unfortunately I have to agree/quote... of course it's a reason not really related to his skills (something that starts with "M" and finish with "oney").

jparker
10th April 2008, 05:06
It's too early to compare, but I think Kopecky will be the skill indicator between WRC and IRC this year.

COD
10th April 2008, 05:11
Like said, first you need to find money to do WRC rallies in a WRC cars. Then if you have good results maybe. Should there be more teams (or more cars/team) they might be on hunt for new talents. But now no.

pino
10th April 2008, 06:52
I remember him in Montecarlo a few years ago competing on WRC 206, he was doing quite well, before he had an off (if I remember well) I would love to see him on WRC again :D

Sami
10th April 2008, 08:40
No doubt he is a real talent. But being one of the greats, I don't think so.

If you look at his driving in Turkey closely, you will notice his safe approach. Compare him to travaglia or Alén and You´ll notice the huge difference, and also you´ll be able to see where he is faster.

His driving is intelligent, very suitable to s2000. I see a lot of things he shares with Patrik Sandell, who it was clear since the beginning that he will be very competitive in s2000, and less so in wrc (even though he actually could grow to WR championship level).

They drive like from the rally driving school book, look at their smooth driving lines, their slow in fast out approach and their superior exit speeds from the corners front end pointing to the opening straight very early. Rossetti drives actually very similar on tarmac and gravel, which to me tells, there is still much to improve as the fundaments on those surfaces are really different.

School book exaple of his driving is seen in eurosport videos where there is to be seen exactly same special stage in car from alén's car and from Rossetti's car. Amazing difference.

Compare the point where Rossetti starts to accelerate to Alén's. Compare how sideways Alén is in to the corners and leaving them little tail happy and careless. Whereas Rossetti it really precise and clean. Compare where the leave the car to the opening straights, Rossetti uses the width of the road to 100% and accelerates opening the line to the maximum at the exact border of the road whereas Alén often leaves room to the outer corner leaving an opening corner. Big difference.

So he is good, really good, but with more powerful car, I would say Alén might be even faster, he puts the power pointing to the opening straight and all the four wheels pull the car to right direction. I would say the margins are wider with Alén. Or then it might be so that Rossetti is able to adapt to other driving styles with car's requirements, if it is so, then he might step to another level.

Talented he is, really talented!

wwbroe
10th April 2008, 09:28
No doubt he is a real talent. But being one of the greats, I don't think so.

If you look at his driving in Turkey closely, you will notice his safe approach. Compare him to travaglia or Alén and You´ll notice the huge difference, and also you´ll be able to see where he is faster.

His driving is intelligent, very suitable to s2000. I see a lot of things he shares with Patrik Sandell, who it was clear since the beginning that he will be very competitive in s2000, and less so in wrc (even though he actually could grow to WR championship level).

They drive like from the rally driving school book, look at their smooth driving lines, their slow in fast out approach and their superior exit speeds from the corners front end pointing to the opening straight very early. Rossetti drives actually very similar on tarmac and gravel, which to me tells, there is still much to improve as the fundaments on those surfaces are really different.

School book exaple of his driving is seen in eurosport videos where there is to be seen exactly same special stage in car from alén's car and from Rossetti's car. Amazing difference.

Compare the point where Rossetti starts to accelerate to Alén's. Compare how sideways Alén is in to the corners and leaving them little tail happy and careless. Whereas Rossetti it really precise and clean. Compare where the leave the car to the opening straights, Rossetti uses the width of the road to 100% and accelerates opening the line to the maximum at the exact border of the road whereas Alén often leaves room to the outer corner leaving an opening corner. Big difference.

So he is good, really good, but with more powerful car, I would say Alén might be even faster, he puts the power pointing to the opening straight and all the four wheels pull the car to right direction. I would say the margins are wider with Alén. Or then it might be so that Rossetti is able to adapt to other driving styles with car's requirements, if it is so, then he might step to another level.

Talented he is, really talented!

I completely agree with your point of view. He doesn't take any risks, he always drives very strict lines, but end the end it seems to pay off. In Turkey he avoided flat tires and that was the key issue there. In Ypres last year he was certainly not the fastest guy around, but at the end his regularity payed off and he won, because he didn't make any mistakes and drove constantly. I think in WRC-type of car (with more power) he could be in a little bit of trouble with his driving style. But for S2000 car he certainly is one of the best. I think Alen's driving style is not so well suited for S2000, where you win time by driving clean lines, and use the available power and torque to the maximum. Rosetti stays a great driver though, with a bright future in front of him. ;)

pino
10th April 2008, 09:32
... Rosetti stays a great driver though, with a bright future in front of him. ;)

That depends whether he gets the chance to drive a WRC or not :(

wwbroe
10th April 2008, 09:34
That depends whether he gets the chance to drive a WRC or not :(

If indeed the WRC will become a S2000+, i think he has a good chance of being around. :p

Tom206wrc
10th April 2008, 10:08
I have the feeling the 207 S2000 is performing the best with BFGoodrich/Michelin tyres..."problem", Pirelli gets the market of WRC :mark:

So even if Luca Rossetti enters the PWRC(alongside Patrik Sandell)not 100% sure he would cope with these "new" tyres :confused:

wwbroe
10th April 2008, 10:14
I have the feeling the 207 S2000 is performing the best with BFGoodrich/Michelin tyres..."problem", Pirelli gets the market of WRC :mark:

So even if Luca Rossetti enters the PWRC(alongside Patrik Sandell)not 100% sure he would cope with these "new" tyres :confused:

That could be an issue for sure Tom, but it remain to be seen what WRC will bring from 2010 and going. It is not for sure that Pirelli will still have control over WRC by that time, so let's wait and see what happens by then. ;)

kabouter
10th April 2008, 10:28
Rossetti has been doing really well in IRC events (and also in the Italian Championship). But in this youth-obsessed era in the WRC, how much chances is a 32-year-old without a big personal sponsor going to get at WRC level?

M5
10th April 2008, 10:58
I completely agree with your point of view. He doesn't take any risks, he always drives very strict lines, but end the end it seems to pay off. In Turkey he avoided flat tires and that was the key issue there. In Ypres last year he was certainly not the fastest guy around, but at the end his regularity payed off and he won, because he didn't make any mistakes and drove constantly. I think in WRC-type of car (with more power) he could be in a little bit of trouble with his driving style. But for S2000 car he certainly is one of the best. I think Alen's driving style is not so well suited for S2000, where you win time by driving clean lines, and use the available power and torque to the maximum. Rosetti stays a great driver though, with a bright future in front of him. ;)

So he is following much of the same concept as a Frenchman in a until very recent drove a very red car ??? Works for him !!

Again, it is sad that money, and not talent is deciding who gets the works drives. Maybe this situation is better in IRC, where you can buy a top car !

Mirek
10th April 2008, 12:22
I agree with Kaboteur. Rossetti is no super talented youngster and also no rich man. His WRC days are over even they never realy started...

But anyway I like him and those funny interwievs like from Turkey :)

Sami
10th April 2008, 12:59
I am not ready to accept your analysis of rallying becoming a youngster sport.

Still the peak of rally driver´s career happens at 30-35, this has not changed in my opinion.

Mirek
10th April 2008, 13:01
Agree but no factory team chooses 32 years old driver without big sponsors with him. That is what I wanted to say.

Tomi
10th April 2008, 13:18
I am not ready to accept your analysis of rallying becoming a youngster sport.

Still the peak of rally driver´s career happens at 30-35, this has not changed in my opinion.

I agree, but it would help if the guy would show his skill in WRC events and in a WRC car, no team chooses drivers from village events.

Sami
10th April 2008, 15:08
I agree, but it would help if the guy would show his skill in WRC events and in a WRC car, no team chooses drivers from village events.

Exactly, I didn't refer to Rossetti with my comment but to a rally driver learning curve which I think still peaks at 30-35.

In Rossetti´s case it is probably too late, and there might be a skill issue too there!

About the never-ending money discussion, of course money matters in motosport, but talent interests money, as sponsors want to be seen as winners.

Tomi
10th April 2008, 15:25
Exactly, I didn't refer to Rossetti with my comment but to a rally driver learning curve which I think still peaks at 30-35.

In Rossetti´s case it is probably too late, and there might be a skill issue too there!

About the never-ending money discussion, of course money matters in motosport, but talent interests money, as sponsors want to be seen as winners.

agree on all points again, also I dont see the reason why to talk about money all the time, motorsport has allways been expensive, and if the guy is good enough he get's the money from somewhere.
Did you read the btw. the story in VM where Lampi and Reiners compaired GrN cars and S2000, it was a bit of surprise to me that the S2000 is so bloody expensive.

RS
10th April 2008, 16:21

I presume you are not referring to the Istanbul Rally there?

Tomi
10th April 2008, 16:38
I presume you are not referring to the Istanbul Rally there?

in istanbul case "village event" (village stands also for the level of the competitors.)

RS
10th April 2008, 16:53
in istanbul case "village event" (village stands also for the level of the competitors.)

Hehe, I think there are a number of WRC 'stars' who would have struggled to get in the top 6 in Istanbul.

HaCo
10th April 2008, 17:13
I agree RS. The level in WRC is not that high like it was before unfortunately.

Sami
10th April 2008, 17:26
agree on all points again, also I dont see the reason why to talk about money all the time, motorsport has allways been expensive, and if the guy is good enough he get's the money from somewhere.
Did you read the btw. the story in VM where Lampi and Reiners compaired GrN cars and S2000, it was a bit of surprise to me that the S2000 is so bloody expensive.

I actually bought that magazine, and the biggest surprise was how good magazine VM is nowadays. Huge improvement. That S2000 vs. group N article was really interesting, even though "slightly" biased.

I don't like group n and S2000 competing in the same class, it is artificial to try to equalize their competitiveness. We need both and in the future more so.

Tomi
10th April 2008, 17:33
That S2000 vs. group N article was really interesting, even though "slightly" biased.

True yes, there should have been some spokesman for S2000 too, but the price was a surprise to me.

N.O.T
10th April 2008, 17:33
Hehe, I think there are a number of WRC 'stars' who would have struggled to get in the top 6 in Istanbul.

i don;t think so.....most of the IRC competitors had their chances in the WRC and couldn;t make any use of it...

Abarth
10th April 2008, 17:58
I actually bought that magazine, and the biggest surprise was how good magazine VM is nowadays. Huge improvement. That S2000 vs. group N article was really interesting, even though "slightly" biased.

I don't like group n and S2000 competing in the same class, it is artificial to try to equalize their competitiveness. We need both and in the future more so.

What magazine is VM ?
Link please ?

wwbroe
10th April 2008, 18:10
i don;t think so.....most of the IRC competitors had their chances in the WRC and couldn;t make any use of it...

If i see who is driving around in WRC these years, then i dont think they would make a great result in a S2000 car to bve honest. Beside's a few really good drivers, there is hardly any competition in WRC rallies, i've been around in the "good" days and now it is really bad. The kind of competition you find in IRC nowadays, you don't see in WRC IMHO. :D

RS
10th April 2008, 18:45
If i see who is driving around in WRC these years, then i dont think they would make a great result in a S2000 car to bve honest. Beside's a few really good drivers, there is hardly any competition in WRC rallies, i've been around in the "good" days and now it is really bad. The kind of competition you find in IRC nowadays, you don't see in WRC IMHO. :D

Agreed.

IRC Portugal is going to be very interesting. Duval is one of the WRCs fastest recent drivers and to be honest I do expect him to set the pace in Portugal, but by how much will be very interesting. Not by as much as some of you guys think I expect....

HaCo
10th April 2008, 18:52
Hehe, when you start about Duval I love to start about Condroz Rally last year. Loix in Polo S2000, Duval in Punto S2000 and Casier in Pug S2000. The first day was awesome, serious battle between Loix and Duval...
Oh yes I'm looking forward to Portugal, a feeling I'm nt having that much anymore in WRC unfortunately :(

White Sauron
10th April 2008, 18:52
What magazine is VM ?
Link please ?

Finnish magazine "The World of Speed". By the way, Jari-Matti writes a good blog on their site.

Abarth
10th April 2008, 18:53
Agreed.

IRC Portugal is going to be very interesting. Duval is one of the WRCs fastest recent drivers and to be honest I do expect him to set the pace in Portugal, but by how much will be very interesting. Not by as much as some of you guys think I expect....

I agree, even if Duval is best on Tarmac, it will be very interesting to see how he deals with the transformation from a top line WRC car to a S2000, and to get his comments on the two !

jparker
10th April 2008, 22:35
From where? Some examples please? From what I see, nobody wants to invest in WRC anymore.

Well, don't be surprised. Business rules apply in motorsport as well, if there is interest in investing, yes, the price goes up. I don't mind cars being expensive, as long as there are sponsors to pay for it, and young talented drivers are given the chance to compete (and not asked to pay for it).
Sounds like in WRC is more difficult to become part of it, then winning it ;)

Tomi
10th April 2008, 22:58
From where? Some examples please? From what I see, nobody wants to invest in WRC anymore.

Every driver has sponsors, just make your pick.

DonJippo
10th April 2008, 23:57
Every driver has sponsors, just make your pick.

With an exception that there are few who are waiting at home phone to ring... :dozey:

N.O.T
11th April 2008, 00:00

all the wrc official teams drivers would demolish the IRC ones...the rest is amtter of sponsorship and money...IRC has some of those as well, don't foget that.....I cannot see Solowow being faster than Rautenbach.....

jparker
11th April 2008, 03:56
all the wrc official teams drivers would demolish the IRC ones...the rest is amtter of sponsorship and money...IRC has some of those as well, don't foget that.....I cannot see Solowow being faster than Rautenbach.....

I don't agree with you, but I can't say you are wrong either. It's any one's guess at the moment. Just remember your words, we may talk again in the near future.

pino
11th April 2008, 07:06

Not most, just 3 of them : Loix, Sola, and Kopecky...

pino
11th April 2008, 07:09

You're not serious are you ? :eek: ups..I forgot the good beer you have at home :p :

Tomi
11th April 2008, 07:47
You're not serious are you ? :eek: ups..I forgot the good beer you have at home :p :

I wish I had, and I am serious :)

N.O.T
11th April 2008, 08:12
Not most, just 3 of them : Loix, Sola, and Kopecky...

and the bike boy vouilloz.....well that covers pretty much the whole top 10 field of the championship in IRC....what remains is a washed up 150 year old travaglia and alen who will jump ship soon and the winner ROssetti.. so....

wwbroe
11th April 2008, 08:41
and the bike boy vouilloz.....well that covers pretty much the whole top 10 field of the championship in IRC....what remains is a washed up 150 year old travaglia and alen who will jump ship soon and the winner ROssetti.. so....

Well if you are so full of your fantastic WRC then you can stick whit that. I don't have a problem with that. I will stick at the IRC, were at least you have some competition and you can't predict before the event who will be the winner, compared to WRC where you have about two and a half drivers who can win. :D

N.O.T
11th April 2008, 08:45
Well if you are so full of your fantastic WRC then you can stick whit that. I don't have a problem with that. I will stick at the IRC, were at least you have some competition and you can't predict before the event who will be the winner, compared to WRC where you have about two and a half drivers who can win. :D

i am a rally fan in general and i also enjoy the battles of IRC.....but living in dream world is not good....If you want to imagine things, and think that the drivers of IRC could stand with the WRC then its ok by me...

RS
11th April 2008, 09:04

"Washed up 150 year old Travaglia" who mostly outpaced Alen in Turkey?

Seriously though I think Vouilloz, Kopecky, Alen, Basso, Sola would destroy Wilsow, Rautenbach, Villagra, Companc, and give Henning, Galli, Gardemeister and Andersson a serious run for their money.

I have absolutely no doubts Kopecky could have finished in the points at every WRC event this year in his 3 year old Skoda, and sure he was new to the 207 in Istanbul but he wound up 5th there with only one joint stage win.

Tomi
11th April 2008, 09:21
"Washed up 150 year old Travaglia" who mostly outpaced Alen in Turkey?

Alen hardly is anykind of benchmark, just a driver with much potential.
Also I dont think there is a single guy in IRC who could beat Garde or PG in equal WRC cars, if we talk full season.

RS
11th April 2008, 09:34
Also I dont think there is a single guy in IRC who could beat Garde or PG in equal WRC cars, if we talk full season.

PG it is a bit early to say either way maybe, he is very new to WRCars.

Gardemeister, he definitely deserves his place in the Suzuki team for a combination of his experience, reliability and reasonable speed but for me his most impressive performance remains New Zealand in the Cordoba.

Tomi
11th April 2008, 09:36
Gardemeister, he definitely deserves his place in the Suzuki team for a combination of his experience, reliability and reasonable speed but for me his most impressive performance remains New Zealand in the Cordoba.

He did not so bad with the Focus and Citroen either.

N.O.T
11th April 2008, 09:37
Seriously though I think Vouilloz, Kopecky, Alen, Basso, Sola would destroy Wilsow, Rautenbach, Villagra, Companc, and give Henning, Galli, Gardemeister and Andersson a serious run for their money.

yes they would probably do that but the wrc names you mentioned are paying drivers in private teams....so no benchmark...compare them with the manufacturer boys who are considered the top of the crop....I don;t watch WRC to see Villagra and the rich dogs renting cars to have fun i am watching it for the TOP level of driving abilities and to spot new talent....

I am not saying there is no talent in IRC all i am saying is that i see IRC like Superbikes while WRC like moto gp....

IRC its avery exciting championship and i am a big fan of the series but lets put things into perspective here.....

RS
11th April 2008, 09:49
yes they would probably do that but the wrc names you mentioned are paying drivers in private teams....so no benchmark...compare them with the manufacturer boys who are considered the top of the crop....I don;t watch WRC to see Villagra and the rich dogs renting cars to have fun i am watching it for the TOP level of driving abilities and to spot new talent....

I am not saying there is no talent in IRC all i am saying is that i see IRC like Superbikes while WRC like moto gp....

IRC its avery exciting championship and i am a big fan of the series but lets put things into perspective here.....

Good post, I actually agree with most of your sentiments there, except Gardemeister and Andersson are works drivers, unless you don't really count Suzuki yet.

You are probably right that the "cream of the crop" in WRC are stronger, although once you take the above names off there are only 6 and I have my doubts about one or two of those still.

pettersolberg29
13th April 2008, 20:25
I think Kopecky is the only driver in the IRC that could get points in the WRC (without retirements).

jparker
14th April 2008, 16:45
I think Kopecky is the only driver in the IRC that could get points in the WRC (without retirements).

and that's based on what observations of yours?
Yes, it could be the case, but it's yet to be seen.

Tom206wrc
14th April 2008, 18:18
Back to Rossetti subject :p :

On http://www.rally-mania.cz I've just found an article that seems to say he could run more IRC rounds this year... :confused:

wwbroe
14th April 2008, 18:41
Back to Rossetti subject :p :

On http://www.rally-mania.cz I've just found an article that seems to say he could run more IRC rounds this year... :confused:

Tom, i didn't know that your understanding of Czech language was so good. For me it is impossible to understand what they are writing. It would be great news offcourse, but can any of our Czech friends confirm that it is true? :D

RS
14th April 2008, 19:45
Tom, i didn't know that your understanding of Czech language was so good. For me it is impossible to understand what they are writing. It would be great news offcourse, but can any of our Czech friends confirm that it is true? :D

It's the same as this article: http://www.rallye-info.com/article.asp?sid=0&stid=6911

Back on the debate, on the contrary I think most of the top IRC drivers could have scored points in WRC pretty easily this year. Some of them even driving an S2000 car probably :D

pettersolberg29
14th April 2008, 20:52
and that's based on what observations of yours?
Yes, it could be the case, but it's yet to be seen.

Mainly because in the WRC he was a good points scorer, and out of all the drivers he has the best driving lines and pace. Just a personal opinion after watching him in the WRC and IRC.

I'll probably be proved horribly wrong one day ;)

Paolo Italy
18th April 2008, 06:56
he's great!!!

PLuto
18th April 2008, 09:07
It is confirmed, Luca will start in Portugal. But next races nobody knows...

CEORacingLions
26th May 2008, 03:50
Confirmed but not run.

Ypres with 207 S2000 somebody knows if this is true ?

tmx
26th May 2008, 04:51
news flash: Criticizing driver for driving smoothly and careful doesn't matters anymore. He's doing successful, Sebastian Ogier is driving the same way with success. It does good for their career (by winning and not crashes).

If the WRC continues on it's abyssmal state why should the IRC drivers look to run in the WRC in the top level, but since the S2000 class will be introduce then it could be easier for the current IRC drivers to switch over, more in term of financial ...maybe.

Also I really like the guy from his interview, he's has a humour side, where as Ogier is more boring than Loeb.

Tom206wrc
29th May 2008, 10:07
Confirmed but not run.

Ypres with 207 S2000 somebody knows if this is true ?

At least normally Ypres was in his contract for 2008 :confused:

5th June 2008, 14:03
Luca is talented, definitely he has great future in WRC.

Sulland
10th December 2009, 09:06
I was very impressed by Rossetti in the 207 in 08, he also managed good times in a ageing Abarth this year. One of the few !!

What is the chance of seing him back in IRC in 10 ?

RS
10th December 2009, 09:56
I was very impressed by Rossetti in the 207 in 08, he also managed good times in a ageing Abarth this year. One of the few !!

What is the chance of seing him back in IRC in 10 ?

Little I would imagine :( I guess he will stay with Abarth in Italian Championship.

It's a great shame, he should have been the permanent No.2 in Abarth in IRC in my opinion and not Anton Alen.

alleskids
10th December 2009, 10:22
Fiat is considering returning for another season in the IRC with 3 drivers, starting in Monte Carlos, with Basso, Rossetti and Scandola. Alen has a contract for 2010, but apparently the management of Fiat does not have plans for him. The decision for the 2010 season will be taken in the days to come. Director Nicola Gullino be replaced by Gabrielle Palmitesta.

RS
10th December 2009, 10:32
Fiat is considering returning for another season in the IRC with 3 drivers, starting in Monte Carlos, with Basso, Rossetti and Scandola. Alen has a contract for 2010, but apparently the management of Fiat does not have plans for him. The decision for the 2010 season will be taken in the days to come. Director Nicola Gullino be replaced by Gabrielle Palmitesta.

Surprising but good news :up:

I still doubt they could fight for the title, but with better management and improved driver lineup they could certainly have a better year than 2009.

HaCo
10th December 2009, 16:32
Crossing my fingers for FIAT!

Let's they will be more competitive next year.