PDA

View Full Version : Album/CD's you recommend...

pino
8th April 2008, 13:32
If you like modern Jazz, get yourself Stanley Clarke's School Days :up:

Your turn now :p :

Erki
8th April 2008, 13:34
I'm waiting for Kick Bong's Flower Power... :)

ShiftingGears
8th April 2008, 13:40
Blackwater Park by Opeth if you want brooding and atmospheric music.

millencolin
8th April 2008, 13:54
millencolin's new album Machine 15 kicks arse, and im not saying that because i am biased, it seriously is very good. Its been kickin butt in the album charts here in Oz

MrJan
8th April 2008, 15:56
Dreadzone - Second Light. It is superb

AndySpeed
8th April 2008, 15:58
Not an album, but if you like electronic music or Tiesto, you can download Tiesto's podcasts for free from iTunes (or Radio 538). Most are an hour long and are very good.

MrJan
8th April 2008, 20:14
Got some more:
Buck 65 - This Right Here Is Buck 65 (stictly speaking a Best Of kind of thing but reckon it still counts because unheard of people shouldn't have Best Ofs)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (most younger people know of Floyd for The Wall which is no where near as good as some of there earlier stuff)

Easy Star All Stars - Dub Side Of The Moon (quite well known now, a reggae recreation of the Pink Floyd album. As someone who adores the original I can assure you that it's not as terrible an idea as it sounds. Also worth sourcing Radiodread which is a version of Radiohead's OK Computer)

Alabama 3 - Exile On Coldharbour Lane

Ali Farka Toure - Talking Timbuktu

Amadou & Mariam - Dimanche A Bamako

Manu Chao - Clandestino (for fans of Robbie Williams the ex Take That star covered a Manu Chao track from this on his most recent album, please don't ask me how I know that)

All the above are albums that everyone should own no matter what kind of music that they like, they are all abosultely superb :up:

stevie_gerrard
8th April 2008, 23:54
High School Musical soundtrack without a doubt ;) :p :

Being serious though, the stuff by the enemy and Plain White t's is superb if you are into that :up:

Bezza
9th April 2008, 00:39
Around 2005, 2006 i thought music was on the up again, but sadly it was a false dawn - I haven't bought a CD for ages, and only downloaded the odd track. Still too much rap and R&B utter rubbish around I'm afraid.

Powered by Cosworth
9th April 2008, 06:40
Led Zeppelin IV ;)

pino
9th April 2008, 07:03
btw Guys, if you're in love with a very romantic girl/women, buy her Andrea Bocelli's: Vivere-Best of :p :

pino
9th April 2008, 07:05
Led Zeppelin IV ;)

That was the 1st album I've bought in my life many many years ago :D

Rudy Tamasz
9th April 2008, 07:22
Planet X - Quantum. I haven't actually heard it yet ;) but read very good reviews. For now I try to extend the sweet feel of magic waiting to happen.

Rudy Tamasz
9th April 2008, 07:25
Oh, yeah, and something totally different and already heard so many times! Planet X is sophisticated prog, but try Primal Scream - Riot City Blues. It's riot, it's city and it's blues. A brilliant piece of trad rock. Pure energy and fun.

Magnus
9th April 2008, 07:34
How very nice that you like manu Chao and Amadou & Miriam maxu05!!!
thought I would fill in a bit on the heavier stuff, since I miss out on a few above:
Metallica: Metallica
Sepultura: Roots
Fear factory: Scumgrief
Pantera: Far beyond Driven
Rage against the Machine
Rammstein: any

Other great stuff: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stina Nordenstam, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Armand van Helden (sic!), Röyksopp, Ceasars Palace, Dire Sraits, A-ha, Alice in Chains, Alphaville, Imperiet (Swedish prog-music), Guns ´N Roses, Chemical Brothers, Petshop Boys (the first records),Electric banana band, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Bruch, Mozart, Bach (esp. BWV1043: probably one of the best pieces ever composed by anyone. Ever.), Dinah Washington (great music for making out :) ),Frank Sinatra (definitely great music!), faithless, Die Krupps (the fathers of industrial heavy metal; to the hilt and their Metallica-tribute are great!), Mylo vs Miami Soundmachine (lot of great partysongs), Björn Rosenström (swedish guy with bad language; banned by Swedish radio), Blümchen(nostalgia), Cat rapes Dog, Håkan hellström (big swedish artist, I btw had an interesting chat with his drummer last weekend), Cranberries, Fjeld, Def Leppard (Adrenalize and one of the other CDs from that time), Brother yussuf (great blues from LA), DJ Bobo (Nostalgia), The Bloodhoundgang, Front 242 (fantastic EBM!), A tribe called quest, E.type (nostalgia), Biohazard, Elvis crespo, gyllene tider (Per Gesle from roxette in a swedish-singing act), Bruce Springsteen,Michael jackson (the first records), Paul Oakenfold, REM (the fisrt records), Vikingarna (swedish dance-music for oldies), Elvis

Guess I have to stop there...

Z34teen
9th April 2008, 08:17
I reccommend anything by Evanescence and Linkin Park: Meteora

leopard
9th April 2008, 09:51
Westlife :)

pino
9th April 2008, 10:13
Alchemy : Dire Straits
On the Night : Dire Straits
Focus : Focus 3
Bursting Out : Jethro Tull
Paris : Supertramp
Breakfast in America : Supertramp
Collected : J.J.Cale
Crossroads : Eric Clapton
Selling England by the Pound : Genesis
Second Out : Genesis
Lotus : Carlos Santana
Touchdown : Bob James
Made in Japan : Deep Purple
The Wall (live) : Pink Floyd
The Dark side of the Moon : Pink Floyd
Mothership : Led Zeppelin
Dejá Vu : Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

And I could continue for days... :p :

Z34teen
9th April 2008, 10:18
The All-American Rejects: Move Along

Storm
9th April 2008, 11:37
Led Zepellin - Mothership - a great collection if you don't have or wan't to buy all their albums separately..

some metal classics like...
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance, British Steel

Black Sabbath - The Dio Years

Magnus
9th April 2008, 11:45
Sorry, forgot Megadeath in my list...
And regarding Judas i like Halfords own project "Fight" better.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th April 2008, 13:07
Tool - Lateralus :up:

Z34teen
9th April 2008, 13:28
Boys like Girls (self-titled album)

maxu05
9th April 2008, 13:31
How very nice that you like manu Chao and Amadou & Miriam maxu05!!!

What are you smokin dude ? I have no idea who these bands are, never heard of them, never heard them and this is the first time I have posted in this thread.
Have a nice day :D

Magnus
9th April 2008, 15:55
:D
Yep, think about me then Maxu05, I have to live with myself. Sorry... But you can always listen to them anyway ;)
It was a Freudian wrong writing, I guess. Doesn´t mr Jan Yeo sound chinese to you...? And then one thing, obviously, led to another... Well, well...
:s

MrJan
9th April 2008, 20:37
:D
Yep, think about me then Maxu05, I have to live with myself. Sorry... But you can always listen to them anyway ;)
It was a Freudian wrong writing, I guess. Doesn´t mr Jan Yeo sound chinese to you...? And then one thing, obviously, led to another... Well, well...
:s

Sadly my name apparently sounds like it could be Chinese, Dutch, Danish, Czech, Swedish, Japanese, Finnish, Norwegian and Spanish. At least those are the different nationalities people have thought I might be.

The name is actually Devonian (county in South West England). Jan is pronounced like in Janet or 'jam', but in a very manly way ;) Yeo as in yo-yo or Yeovil and is actually quite a common English name.

Back on topic :D
Other good albums:

Space - Spiders
Sigur Ros - Takk
Paul Lamb - Fine Condition
Otis Lee Crenshaw - London Not Tennessee

jso1985
10th April 2008, 03:33
I highly recommend:

Linkin Park - Meteora
Hoobastank - The Reason
Zoe - Memo Rex Commander y el Corazon de la Via Lactea
LLegas - Almaqueloide
Incubus - Make Yourself
Unwritten Law - Here's to the Mourning
The All-American Rejects - Move Along
Simple Plan self-titled album
Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High
Blink 182 self-titled album
Korn - Issues
Paramore - Riot!

ITC55
10th April 2008, 21:39
These are just some of my favorites and a few new ones:

LCD Soundsystem- both of them are the dogs B*l*ox
Hot Chip- all of there albums, especially the warning
Radiohead- Kid A, OK computer, In Rainbows
Sigur ros- Takk is amazing and there newest one Hlemmur
EELS- get there greatest hits album if you havn't heard there stuff before
REM- accelerate
Pixies- anything by them
Republic of loose- great Irish band
Josh Ritter- the most under rated singer song writer in the world!
The Rapture
Justice
TV on the radio

MrJan
10th April 2008, 23:15
Radiohead- Kid A, OK computer, In Rainbows
REM- accelerate

INteresting that you don't mention The Bends and Automatic For The People, two very highly rated albums from each band. Just wondering if you don't rate them or just prefer the others.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned but I thought the Arctic Monkeys first album was great. Sadly it got over played and I never really listen to it that much.

Think I also forgot to say Buena Vista Social Club. There was one point when it was all I listened to. The film is also fantastic.

Finley Quaye - Maverick A Strike
Fionn Rega - The End Of History
Muse - Absolution
Soulsavers - It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land

ShiftingGears
11th April 2008, 01:22
Tool - Lateralus :up:

Great album.

AndySpeed
11th April 2008, 11:38
These are just some of my favorites and a few new ones:

LCD Soundsystem- both of them are the dogs B*l*ox
Hot Chip- all of there albums, especially the warning
Sigur ros- Takk is amazing and there newest one Hlemmur
The Rapture
Justice
TV on the radio

It sounds to me that you might like Erol Alkan. If you've not heard of him he's a DJ who used to work at an Indie nightclub in London called Trash. His podcasts are avilable on his website or iTunes, under the music section, I believe.

p.s. I forgot to add initially just how good are Sigur Rós!?

Brown, Jon Brow
11th April 2008, 11:43
Muse - Absolution

Possibly my favourite album of all time :up:

pino
11th April 2008, 12:01
Guys if you love saxophone get yourself David Sanborn's :

Double Vision (feature Bob James)
Upfront
A Change of Heart
Voyeur

:s mokin:

ITC55
11th April 2008, 16:16
INteresting that you don't mention The Bends and Automatic For The People, two very highly rated albums from each band. Just wondering if you don't rate them or just prefer the others.

I love most of Radioheads stuff, cracking band, especially Kid A and OK computer, its not that i don't rate the others, just mentioned them along side In rainbows for being pretty new.

Muse-absolution is an amazing album too, have you seen them live? they blew me away and their light shows are crazy

ITC55
11th April 2008, 16:23
It sounds to me that you might like Erol Alkan. If you've not heard of him he's a DJ who used to work at an Indie nightclub in London called Trash. His podcasts are avilable on his website or iTunes, under the music section, I believe.

p.s. I forgot to add initially just how good are Sigur Rós!?

Cheers, i've heard of Erol Alkan but never really listened to him, i'm giving him a search on itunes now, thanks for the recommendation

Sigur ros in my opinion are pretty great, but to some of my mates, its not their cup of tea at all. Suppose the closest thing to them would be something like Mogwai, if you are fimiliar. Very chilled out music, sang mostly in icelandic/some language they made up, so not the sort of thing you would sing along to in the shower! best live band i've seen though, the lead guy plays electric guitar with a bow!

MrJan
11th April 2008, 16:53
I love most of Radioheads stuff, cracking band, especially Kid A and OK computer, its not that i don't rate the others, just mentioned them along side In rainbows for being pretty new.

Muse-absolution is an amazing album too, have you seen them live? they blew me away and their light shows are crazy

Seen them twice, once at the Eden Project and I was also lucky enough to get tickets for the second day at Wembley which was so amazing that words and the DVD just don't cover it. Spent the whole gig moshing and was on a high for the rest of the week.

Sleeper
13th April 2008, 20:10
Pain of Salvation- The Perfect ELement part 1. Highly emotive and simply superb prog metal album. Best album ever IMO.

Genesis- Foxtrot. Quite possibly the pinicle of 70's progressive rock, before it became self indulgent.

The Mars Volta- The Bedlam in Goliath. Best album of the year so far.

Van der Graaf Generator- Still Life

and one for Pino that I've just discovered and is fantastic, Le Orme- Felona e Sorona.

:up:

Bezza
13th April 2008, 21:37
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
Closer - Joy Division
Power, Corruption, Lies - New Order
London Calling - The Clash
Never Mind The Bollocks - Sex Pistols
Automatic For The People - REM
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
A Grand Don't Come For Free - The Streets
The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
Violator - Depeche Mode

Thats all you ever need to listen to.

Moby
14th April 2008, 03:33
Two Good New Albums
In Rainbows- Radiohead (Get that sublime like feeling)(HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
Last Night- Moby

Very good song- Dry the rain by the Beta Band

Nirvana- With the Lights Out

I like way to much music to list it

Valve Bounce
14th April 2008, 05:09
Opie Bellas - Live for Life. But if you are feeling a little down, the first track might make some cry.
You can listen to it here:http://cdbaby.com/cd/opiebellas

Brown, Jon Brow
15th April 2008, 15:19
Battle of Los Angeles by Rage Against the Machine. I dare to listen to the first track (Testify) and not to start jumping around like a lunatic, it can't be done.

pino
16th April 2008, 09:54
Al Di Meola, John McLaughing, and Paco de Lucia's : "Friday Night in San Francisco" Don't punish yourself...go and buy it right now :D

Here's a short version of Mediterranean Sundance :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7ypeZ6R-t0

ShiftingGears
17th April 2008, 04:33
Al Di Meola, John McLaughing, and Paco de Lucia's : "Friday Night in San Francisco" Don't punish yourself...go and buy it right now :D

Here's a short version of Mediterranean Sundance :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7ypeZ6R-t0

Great album.

gloomyDAY
17th April 2008, 05:04
Marilyn Manson - Golden Age of Grotesque

Spoonbender
17th April 2008, 10:25
The new REM one 'Accelerate' is most recomended :)

leopard
17th April 2008, 10:32
Probably you like their previous song, losing my religion. :)

futuretiger9
19th April 2008, 11:13
I would recommend the following:-

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
Neil Young - Tonight's The Night
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
The Band - Music From Big Pink
The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Who - Live At Leeds