PDA

View Full Version : Why are no fans on the forum anymore?

JovialJooles
8th April 2008, 10:50
I'm sad to say it, but a PM from a very long standing member has prompted me to ask the question.

Where have all the fans gone?

This forum has degenerated into a team message board. :(

Are there still fans out there? If so, please let me know.

Why are you not posting? There used to be quite a bit of fun and banter during the closed season...

uskram
8th April 2008, 11:06
IT SHOULD BE AN OVAL SERIES and the majority of people that followed the series believed that also! If fans are like myself they browse here occasionally but are pretty disinterested with the series or the sledging they get or have got from team personell.

corbygal
8th April 2008, 11:45
I'm a fan now (rather than a photographer), I come on and check but nobody's posting anything!

acorn
8th April 2008, 11:55
excuse me, i'm still posting(just) but as uskram says the majority who followed the series did so because it was on the oval.

the speedcar series(it was on eurosport this weekend just gone) gives you a fairly good idea of what this type of car performs like on road courses and frankly after the first couple of laps it gets a bit boring with so few cars(even more so if you can't see the cars because you're at the track).

2 ascars in a combined grid don't exactly inspire numerous posts. get the numbers up (into double digits at least) and maybe the fans MIGHT get interested again but unless you can get the numbers back into the 20s AND racing on the oval, i doubt you will see the fan following that the series had in the past. (sorry to seem pessimistic)

slightly off topic but did anyone see the nascar race this week on sky. john mickel commented that if he can get the full season budget for craftsman truck together then the possibility of tv on this side of the pond could get the rights to show the trucks. i personally wish him success in his task as the trucks can sometimes produce more entertaining racing than the stock cars.

Redmond500
8th April 2008, 12:22
I'm still lurking!

But to be honest, what's to talk about?

I used to like the off topic banter throughout the year too, all to often they are closed these days.

JovialJooles
8th April 2008, 12:24
...slightly off topic...

Please keep on topic. :)

Jordygirl
8th April 2008, 12:38
I'm still here, lurking most of the time, because of the 'topics' being discussed. Still a fan, and was at Snetterton the other weekend (wearing the tango romper suit) cheering on Colin & Tony from the bank at Russell. Was also at 'The Rock' in the cold, wind & rain on Saturday checking out the new PuT liveries and Rookie training. Strange no comments on here about that, & it's not my place to speculate !!!!!! See you all at Rockingham 19 & 20 for the PuTs first race on the Oval. :wave:

Forum Buddy
8th April 2008, 13:00
JovialJooles, you have summed up the answer in your post above. I am not a team member or have any interest in their banter either.

I will be at Rockingham though for the PUT.

Road Courses for the V8 don't do anything for me, neither do they in Nascar. I hate those races.

Nothing else to say.

Forum Buddy

cgs
8th April 2008, 14:02
i suppose, techincally, i could be classed as a fan as well. i do come on here everyday but rarely post, because there is nothing to post about :(

i tend to be in the NASCAR forum a lot though

mbr
8th April 2008, 15:32
Ditto
As per the other replies i have a browse most days but have no interest in seeing two V8's on a road circuit!!!! I guess i still visit everyday in the hope that i will read:
Twenty plus V8's back on thr Rockingham oval
I can live in hope can't i?
Also there does not seem to be any posts worth replying to or having an opinion on.

Chigley
8th April 2008, 16:22
I'm sad to say it, but a PM from a very long standing member has prompted me to ask the question.

Why are you not posting? There used to be quite a bit of fun and banter during the closed season...

I was the member who posted the PM to J and Witty and here it is in its entirety, what I should have said was " forum" instead of the thread referring to the Snetterton results and "who's making the tea!"
GROW UP

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Guys,

Looking at the drivel that is being written on this thread is exactly why I've gone to lurking and won't contribute to this forum. To the guests and non Rockingham team people this sets up an appalling image of what V8 racing is about. I haven't included the PuT amongest them as the Revolution team and one or two others are using this public forum as a private chat room.

Chunter over.

Have fun, see you sometime.
Ian

JG Fan
8th April 2008, 17:52
IT SHOULD BE AN OVAL SERIES and the majority of people that followed the series believed that also! If fans are like myself they browse here occasionally but are pretty disinterested with the series.

Im still around but uskram is right thats why there are no fans on here anymore.

Tractorboy.
8th April 2008, 17:56
I was the member who posted the PM to J and Witty and here it is in its entirety, what I should have said was " forum" instead of the thread referring to the Snetterton results and "who's making the tea!"
GROW UP

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Guys,

Looking at the drivel that is being written on this thread is exactly why I've gone to lurking and won't contribute to this forum. To the guests and non Rockingham team people this sets up an appalling image of what V8 racing is about. I haven't included the PuT amongest them as the Revolution team and one or two others are using this public forum as a private chat room.

Chunter over.

Have fun, see you sometime.
Ian

Welcome back.

Duane
8th April 2008, 20:07
Chiggers , me old friend, yes i agree with your views and have spoken with some of my team about previous statements on other threads but those guy,s obviously knew what was coming and felt very strongly about their series that they put their own free time into and so did not agree with us going to circuits anymore than the fans on here, me niether, but what was we to do, give up !!!

We had 18 drivers and cars all agreed to go Oval racing in October 07, but the decission was made, it could of been a good season on the oval.

but i will restate, Colin did a great job at Snetterton, against my pre season views i enjoyed the first meeting more than any in the last 2 years because it was a spectacle again, even with two cars, more cars will be awesome.

Maybe we are more akin to Oz V8's than Nascar for now, thats not a bad thing......i remain very optomistic for the future now.

as for people on this forum, there are normally around 12 showing and another 50 lurking, thats not bad, each thread gets around 70 views which suggests to me around 70 regular visitors......i have the Forum as my home page and have done since i was a fan in 2001.

please keep the faith

Duane

Speedworx
8th April 2008, 21:20
I lurk to see whats happening.

With the series not longer at Rockingham, my interest is mostly gone. Its even turned me off picks ups a bit.

Only 2 trips to Rockingham in 08............its highly likely (for me anyway)

wends
8th April 2008, 22:05
IT SHOULD BE AN OVAL SERIES and the majority of people that followed the series believed that also! If fans are like myself they browse here occasionally but are pretty disinterested with the series or the sledging they get or have got from team personell.

Spot on, this forum also seems to be a closed shop of "those in the know" and then those who are not, theres a race on sat 12th but you try finding any info on BRSCC web site ???????.timetable
Then each year some one changes the name......how many times
This is tony writing this (wendys partner) and i used to bring the kids up all the time, know there like me not interested anymore......
We know a lot of people are doing a lot of hard work...and well done. please go back to the oval....please.
Havnt posted on here for a long time......

cjhill2002
8th April 2008, 23:50
I lurk to see whats happening.

With the series not longer at Rockingham, my interest is mostly gone. Its even turned me off picks ups a bit.

Only 2 trips to Rockingham in 08............its highly likely (for me anyway)

Pretty much exactly the same for me, loved it when the series was on the oval and the ascar/pickup meetings every month were dates for the diary that I dare not miss.

As it turns out i cant make any of the pickup meetings this year cos I'm racing myself so it looks like no trips to the rock in 08 for me.

As soon as the cars return to the ovals tho, i'll be back there if it fits in with everything else

hmmm - donuts
9th April 2008, 06:25
Still lurking and was at Snetterton the other weekend. I'd prefer to be at the rock, but will still attend as many meetings as I can get to. I'm sure that the V8s on road circuits will be good if there's a big enough grid. After all the Aussie V8s (as opposed to NASCAR) on road circuits always look fantastic don't they?

Also, I feel that the road circuit option potentially bring the SCSA cars to a larger, or at least a different, audience (although the meetings would have to be rather better attended than Snetterton).

Regards

SteveA
9th April 2008, 09:07
I'm still here too! Mostly lurking, occasionally posting. Again, big V8s on a big oval was what attracted me, but as others have said, lots of V8s on a road course could be good- I too enjoy the aussie V8 Supercars. But we need big grids for it to be exciting, and I wonder if the fibre-glass bodied cars will last very long if there's the sort of pushing-and-shoving we see in the Aussie series!

Hey Witty - don't you have a Snetterton gallery to post? Photos always keep the interest up!

Jamie Brown
9th April 2008, 11:48
i have been a fan since the Beginning but i lost interest when they started on road courses and i agree you need big grids for it to be interesting on a road course.

PitMarshal
9th April 2008, 13:04

I think the answer is what is there to post about? I stick my head in here occassionally, and it seems that other than the odd post about someone's paint scheme, or PUT testing, there's nowt else to talk about.
Personally I think that the loss of the oval for the SCSA (or whatever they're called these days) cars is having an inevitable and predictable effect. If I take my marshalling hat off and put my fan one on, it was the oval racing that brought me here. As a marshal I stil have an interest in the series, but if I was a punter I probably wouldn't anymore.

foxystoat
9th April 2008, 13:34
If you had 18 commited to the Oval this season but for whatever reasons couldn't get it organised.Are they still commited to go back on the Oval in 2009 if you can get something worked out this year in good time to get dates booked .
I like most fans am not really interesed in a couple of cars on a road course where you only see a couple of corners.

kjb
9th April 2008, 18:43
sorry not as easy as that foxy, you see the 18 cars were on the cards at the end of last season and the rug was still pulled from under our feet so its just a case of make the most of a bad situation, problem being is that people have long memories

car20
9th April 2008, 20:23
same for me and my family....No oval racing not going to a road course sorry to see 2 cars .....i would be nagged all the way there and back !!!!!

If there was 18 cars for 2008 before the rock pulled the plug, what makes anyone think that they will let the series back for 2009 if you do get 18 cars to race ???

The fans are waiting to go back WE ALL know that the place can be filled to a respectible size! but we are only fans and really don't have a say !!!

Tiesse
9th April 2008, 20:30
For me personally, I have always only dipped in during the winter due to interests elsewhere (ice hockey in the winter months) & then from around now onwards get more interested in the motorsport side of things.

I do, however echo some of the comments on this thread. The forum seems to have somehow become something of a clique amongst the racing community & not necessarily the fans.

This used to be such a friendly forum, but now I see it as a place to post if you are in the paddock rather than the grandstand.

Don't get me wrong though, I shall personally persevere, however am more likely to take my lad back to Rockingham & possibly Silverstone & Santa Pod this year, hoping that the future shall include the V8's return to what should be their spiritual home.

I am sure given time, my opinion will change. As I said, thus far, over the winter, I have just dipped in & out, rather than regular daily visits as is typically the case in the summer.

fastbob
9th April 2008, 20:42
Hmmmm! Seems to be plenty of fans on here.... how is a fan being defined?

I have always considered myself a fan.

It was through this forum I became involved with the series, now i'm no longer involved with either the VSR V8 Trophy or PUT, but I don't feel any more or less a fan .... or any more or less entitled to an opinion!!!

JovialJooles
9th April 2008, 21:10
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my question. :up:

Bob, I would have thought my opening post gave a pretty big clue as to where I am coming from... :)

Reynard
9th April 2008, 21:35
Hey Witty - don't you have a Snetterton gallery to post? Photos always keep the interest up!

It's nearly ready to upload, Steve. :)

Stewarding at Cam Cat the day before Snet left me running on empty and as a result I've been battling the most horrendous head cold. Just gotten over it and feel human enough the get the gallery up. (And I do need to invest in a ladder for Snet...)

Back on the fan thing - with the V8's on road courses, I'm now back in my real comfort zone as I was interested in GT ans saloon car racing before I got into the V8s. They originally changed my mind about oval racing and yes, I still love oval racing - would love to see them back on the big oval, but IMHO they're just as great on road courses.

Colin made the big car dance at Snetterton and I'd defy anyone to say that it wasn't worth watching a skilled driver really get a tune out of what is an unlikely circuit racing car. I say come along and have a look - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Me, I'll squeeze in as many V8 & PUT meetings as I can around other commitments - whether on the oval or on road circuits. It's the cars and the drivers that do it for me, more so than the venue. ;)

Sticker Rub
9th April 2008, 22:24
If there was 18 cars for 2008 before the rock pulled the plug, what makes anyone think that they will let the series back for 2009 if you do get 18 cars to race ???

Let's get this straight: Rockingham have nothing to do with the decision to drop the V8s from the oval in 2008. They also had nothing to do with the decision to let them run in 2006 or 2007 and will have nothing to do with whatever decision is made about them in 2009. BRSCC hire the circuit & make these decisions.

foxystoat
9th April 2008, 22:44
If there was 18 cars good to go as was stated it's a crying shame it never happened this year.

Sticker Rub
9th April 2008, 23:07
If there was 18 cars good to go as was stated it's a crying shame it never happened this year.
And it won't happen in 2009 without our support. They may not be racing on the track we all want them to race on but if we all lose interest, they'll never get back from the wilderness & large oval racing in Britain will be dead. Give them a chance on circuits: I was pleasantly surprised by the potential shown at Snetterton.

The White Lady
10th April 2008, 00:09
Firm info about dates please - 28th Jan 08, 14:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

Ok, most of the fans have wandered away from this forum because it now seems to be somehwere for the teams to banter. You seem to be finding it a pretty good wheeze to dangling your hook and bait for those few of us that are left with your little snippets of 'There's something really good to come' and similar from Gasman and racing59 to name a couple, with Duane assuring us there is going to be a busy couple of months. 'We know lots of things but we can't tell you'. All very reminiscent of the new cars we kept hearing about that never quite made it to the grid, but still we hung on in there, happy to part with our cash to support you racers and try and help the series grow. Unfortunately I start to get the feeling that actually most of the folk on the forum now aren't much interested in the fans - it's a bit of a team club these days.

Situation now is that I'm still prepared to support what I can (both SCSA and Pickups), I was planning to go to the Powernights, but now it seems they're gone. So, it's back to the weekend calendar.

The problem now is that the willing fans need information so that we can try and be free to support you, but Church rota's are being planned and I can't say when I'm not available so I won't have any choice about which sundays are free, holidays need booking, visits to relatives etc etc - On behalf of the remaining fans who look at the forum - any idea when we might get some concrete information please? Pretty please?

Thank you.

So, Julian, that's how I felt back in January. Nothing has changed other than the oval series I fell in love with is now confirmed as no longer an oval series.

For us, partly because Rockingham was so local, it was one affordable series to support especially when it was the first Sunday of the month - it was logged, I wasn't available to preach, deacon or whatever - I was BUSY!!!

Only missed when we were away on holiday. This carried on up until the end of the 2007 series, even if maybe occasionally we couldn't get there until mid dayish. Rain or shine, we were there supporting SCSA and gradually the pickups just as much. A great combination. The drivers were happy to talk to the fans - in fact there was a specific time for autograph hunting when they had to be available. Towards the end of last year things had noticeably changed - with the exception of one or two drivers the SCSA teams had become more introverted, and to be honest the 'cliquey' feel of the forum deterred us from trying to talk to the newer drivers too much. Fans comments in threads were largely ignored in favour of team chat - I don't know about other fans, but we just didn't seem to count any more when it came to bantering around either on the forum or at the track. Almost the old 'talk to the hand..' - fans didn't seem to be valued in quite the same way as before.

We miss the razamatazz, we miss the professional outfits, we miss the rapport between drivers and fans. For us moving to road circuits means it is no longer a series we can identify with in the same way. We can't commit to travelling around the country to follow a particular driver/team. Guess it's back to the Historic/VSCC stuff at Silverstone for my local fix of noise and muscle cars - the old Le Mans cars can be pretty exciting and there are more than two of them even in the mixed grid races.

I sincerely wish the SCSA teams all the very best - I hope you can get it all back together and get back to the Rock where this type of machine really belongs. Back to the days when it really felt like a sporting community - crumbs, our auction on here raised a substantial contribution to sending Pitkid and other local scouts to the World Scout Jamboree, something we are extremely grateful for. Somehow, sad to say, I don't think a fun fundraiser like that would work now because the Forum doesn't have the same feel to it. There certainly aren't the same numbers logging in - 70 looks to each post - it used to be over 150!

Now we are reduced to the old chicken/egg debates. Support it and it might come back to the Rock where it belongs; we did support it but the plug was pulled; but you didn't bring enough friends; it was over subsidised; we did/didn't like the bands and fair.

Tell you one thing - the pure petrol heads might not have liked the fair, the bands, the kids, the hooters (sorry Jeffmr2 - not a personal dig, and do you still have the Grumpy Old Man t shirt? tee hee) (you see, I never met this guy but we had a laugh around here), but it did bring people who wouldn't have come otherwise - someone took away the bits they liked and they didn't come anymore.

If we want American style racing here it seems we have at least proved we have to do it the American way - with the old razzamatazz!!!!!

I'll still be dropping in here from time to time (if I'm still welcome after this post) and popping to the Rock for the pick ups when possible. I'm afraid catching a couple on the odd corner at a circuit it takes most of the day to get to isn't going to get me buying tickets, but get the V8s back to the Rock where they belong in enough numbers for me to feel the thunder I'll be there everytime - keep me a seat!

Sorry for the length of post, didn't mean to rant on but Jovial Jooles did ask..

Good luck all and hope to see you again someday.

Gillian

racingrivalsDOT
10th April 2008, 02:02
Like Gillian said, the crowds came for the whole package. Less than one percent of fans ever came on the forum, but those that did, did so because they were converted to watching ASCAR. How many of the thousands of people at Rockingham were there because of NASCAR and Oval Racing? I'd say it was more to do with busted or the free tickets. This is no dig, and I know it upset the real race fans that most of these guys in the stand were there for the crashes, but the fans got into it, and would come back time and time again. Just when we were going places, funding was pulled because Rockingham had no choice. They were almost bust.

Ever since the other bits were pulled, more and more cuts have been made. Photo cards, proper paint jobs, fan sessions... Rockingham Radio. All little tiny things, but to the crowd, it gave it the look of a proper series. Without the money, we can't have the luxuries... and with the luxuries we can't have the fans... and without the fans we can't have the money.

Although the decision was not made by the series, we are not racing there. This was done because certain people think the series should regroup and come back stronger. Duane has done a great job holding things together, and we have one shot to impress people enough to give us our dates back. That is why that when we do go back, it needs to be done properly. We need around twenty cars out there. We need the bands, the trade stands, the fun fair, the fly past and we need those bloody garages! We need the drivers to spend an hour signing autographs, we need the little giveaways. Most of all, we need the fans.

Would NASCAR keep going week in and week out without the fans? Tracks have lost dates because of poor attendances, and it will continue in the future. It is the nature of the beast, and although some people say Rockingham don't care if we run or not, that's strictly not true. If we can't pull a crowd, why should they care whether we are there or not. If we are pulling crowds of 40,000 and running our own meetings and making them money... you think they would turn us away then? A series that can pull in big crowds can pay more than a few club series teaming up to hire a nice track. That is the only trump card e have. Saying that, the flip side is that if somebody else gets 40,000 to come and watch something at Rockingham before we do, they would have more weight when it comes to getting dates.

As much of a fan I am, and as much as I understand that ultimately we want to go out and race, we need to consider the bigger picture. Rockingham is a business and is there to make money. If we step up to the plate, and can make them that money... would they really turn us away?

Tiesse
10th April 2008, 06:30
Getting back on thread.

Having just read through the Pickups Testing at Rockingham thread, I think the way that thread developed & the reason for closing it proves a lot of fans points they have made thus far in this thread (including mine!).

Cliquey

Duane
10th April 2008, 07:06
We as Ascar teams are having to change to survive and as much as we all agree with the sentiment on this thread we cannot change sentiments towards us that have placed us in this 2008 situation of road courses and no oval.

Blaming team personell for being on here as the reason no fans are on here is a bit wide of the mark, these guys are why we are still going, they do it for free and want us to survive and you want to stab them in the back, carry on doing that and it will be finished.
These guy's from all teams are fans as well and enjoy the banter with everyone, would you rather they not come on and along with myself you never get any news or insight into how the teams and series are getting on ???

They need your support as well as drivers because without them the Drivers will not be out there........even though its on road course !!!!!

I loved racing on the oval but enjoyed Snetterton enough to make me see there is another opption, an opption that most petrolheads will go to more readily that the oval maybe, which makes me wonder how many tickets they will give away this year for this weekend to get a crowd !!!!

Duane

jonv
10th April 2008, 08:53
There seems to be two points being made in this thread:
Why people are not interested in SCSA now it has left the Oval.
Why people are no longer posting on the forum.

My interest in SCSA slipped over the last couple of season. The lack of real close racing being the main reason - still attended most events to see the pickups.

I am more than willing to support the series on the road courses but cannot travel to all events.

The problem with the forum having so many supposedly informed team members posting is a double edge sword. It is great to get information when we have it but the downside is any discussion about the direction the series is taking risks upsetting those who work so hard on the series.

There still seems to be people reading this forum but little discussion happening. Perhaps all the topics have been done to death already?

Nick Brad
10th April 2008, 09:57
I've left the forum simply because of the negativity from all sides, I've found somewhere else to talk, (will not post a link here for obvious reasons,) where talk is focused purely on what is happening, rather than what will be happening or what happened last year or before that.
This year the series is on road courses, next year, who knows? Once a concrete arguement is put forward to return to Rockingham, we will, until then it's time to simply forget about all that and concentrate on the current picture. Forget how many cars are on track, there's hundreads of reasons for lack of cars, the focus should be on the closeness of the racing from the cars that are on track.

I only continue to come on here once a week or whatever to check my pm's, give it a couple of months and i'll cease to do that anymore. In general there's nothing to talk about here any more for me, some of the other forums are really elitist though and I'd never step in them, in comparison this forum is quite good.

Abo
10th April 2008, 10:59
Blaming team personell for being on here as the reason no fans are on here is a bit wide of the mark, these guys are why we are still going, they do it for free and want us to survive and you want to stab them in the back, carry on doing that and it will be finished.
These guy's from all teams are fans as well and enjoy the banter with everyone

I just wanted to add... I was a fan long before I was a team member (I remember getting £25 Champ Car tickets in 2001 due to a link on the ASCAR website) and in fact I probably wouldn't *be* a team member without having been a forum regular first.

Tractorboy.
10th April 2008, 17:38
I was also a fan before i got involved in the racing. When i got made redundant from my first job i went to work with Duane and still do. He gave me a couple of tickets and said come and have look. i drove up to Rockingham and gave it a look and was instantly hooked. I try and show people whats going on in our workshop by taking pictures and writing a little comment on them on our facebook page to keep people interested and will keep on doing it all season, I've also learned there aint no point in flying wild at people on this forum as it aint gonna get us back to Rockingham by doing it. It has been mainly people from teams that go on here talking to each other and fans being left out, that is why most of us have backed off from chatting that much on here. right i'm off to lurk in the distance and take more pictures for the facebook. As soon as i learn how to use photobucket i'll start putting some on there.

Tractor.

The Pits!
10th April 2008, 20:31
Having marshalled at numerous circuits over more years than I care to remember, in one capacity or another, I was delighted when an Oval eventually re-appeared (even I don't remember Brooklands in its hayday) on the scene. As well as continuing to marshal at road-circuits, I then marshalled at Rockingham from the very first 'behind closed doors' up-to the end of last year. And the best racing was always as the circuit was designed - an Oval.

BTCC & GT's are all well and good, but the inner circuits are a bit too mickey-mouse for my liking - anyway, if I want a road circuit I can always nip down the road to Silverstone.

Every yearend there was talk whether the ASCAR/SCSA series would be back next year, each year it stuggled to return but it did, so back to Rockingham I went. As did many other fans of Oval racing, who also posted here on the Forum.

But, now it has gone to 'the dark-side' so to speak, the interest in SCSA and the forum has also gone. I appear occasionally, and post very occasionally - and when I do most of my comments do not seem to meet with much approval - so what's the point?

ASCAR/SCSA/V8 Oval racing 2008 is dead (for whatever reason), and as that is the type of racing that the majority of fans want, so is the forum.

PUT's are ok, but they have only ever been part-time Oval racers, the true UK Oval series is hopefully only having a relapse and will be back in 2009 - then the fans will return to the forum.

jeffmr2
10th April 2008, 21:05
Firm info about dates please - 28th Jan 08, 14:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell you one thing - the pure petrol heads might not have liked the fair, the bands, the kids, the hooters (sorry Jeffmr2 - not a personal dig, and do you still have the Grumpy Old Man t shirt? tee hee) (you see, I never met this guy but we had a laugh around here), but it did bring people who wouldn't have come otherwise - someone took away the bits they liked and they didn't come anymore.

Hi Gillian thanks for the mention,i'm chuffed my grumpiness is still remembered by some on here lol!!I didn't twig at first about the hooters comment,i was going to say i like hooters as much as the next man and was always a fan of Skid and his legs 11 girls then i realised you meant those damn air horns lol!! I just live in hope that one day i can get annoyed by them at the rock again. I've been smiling lots more lately especially when i was in California to see nascar's finest Kyle Busch win the first ever craftsman truck race ive attended.Also i've bought another mr2,its real fun to drive :) :)

Like most i'm lurking more than posting on here nowadays,there just isnt much to comment on anymore.Its a shame really as there are some great passionate fans here like wends,jackie (earnahrdt 8) tim (bobgarage) reynard and her cats :) and many many others.Being a cat lover as well i used to enjoy the cat photos,although i could never admit to it and damage my reputation.I'll never forget the day Anna o Neil sent me a private message,my brother was jealous as hell lol!!
Nowadays i spend more tiime on the nascar forum (defending Kyle Busch mostly) and have a quick look in on here,waiting it would seem in vain for the news that we will be at the rock.

Just an idea to try and get things going again here but why cant we,all the old forum fans,discuss and agree on a race date to attend just to try and show the support for ascars is still here.I'll be going to pembrey but i reckon we should all get to mallory park and help get a bigger paying attendance than for the PUTS at the rock on the same day.This isnt meant as a dig against those wimpy vehicles (joke!!) but just to show "the powers that be" how many of us still want v8's back on the oval.

Sorry everyone for going right off the point of this thread.

The Pits!
10th April 2008, 21:08
Sorry everyone for going right off the point of this thread.
Yep, you'd better be careful, otherwise JJ will be along with his big stick! :)

foxystoat
10th April 2008, 21:56
How many meetings are the PUT's doing at the Rock this year is there a link to the info please ?

R3ROK
10th April 2008, 23:19
I still take a look at the threads every now and again. It's been that long ago since I logged in that I forgot my password :) Facebook is much more fun IMO ;) To be honest I've lost track of when the PUT's are back at Rockingham but should be there to see them whenever that is, time permitting.

I still have R3 ROK on the car but somehow the novelty has worn off a bit :(
Mondeo has gone now and have got a '06 TDCi fiesta which is crap but practical and at £35 a year road tax and 50mpg I can't really complain too much. Dear Santa, could I have a Focus ST-3 please? Cheers for now...John

darknessrock
10th April 2008, 23:33
How many meetings are the PUT's doing at the Rock this year is there a link to the info please ?

Errrrrmmm,, maybe try http://pickuptruckracing.com

As for fans not posting... I'm a fan, but have run out of drivel :)
See you all at Cadwell, Except Rob :(

scubie
11th April 2008, 00:11
Errrrrmmm,, maybe try http://pickuptruckracing.com

As for fans not posting... I'm a fan, but have run out of drivel :)
See you all at Cadwell, Except Rob :(

Apparently you will see Rob, he will be driving the 99 car at Cadwell, with one slight change It'll be carrying his usual 59 :D

Tiesse
11th April 2008, 07:05
I still have R3 ROK on the car but somehow the novelty has worn off a bit :(
Mondeo has gone now and have got a '06 TDCi fiesta which is crap but practical and at £35 a year road tax and 50mpg I can't really complain too much. Dear Santa, could I have a Focus ST-3 please?

Sorry to go off thread.
John. I was sorting last year's photos & came across the parade lap photos. I did wonder if you had transferred the R3 ROK plate to the Fiesta. The Focus ST question has also popped it's head up in our household, but the Fiesta shall have to do for now!
Good to see you posting, hopefully meet up at some point at Rockingham this summer.

R3ROK
11th April 2008, 15:06
It's OK chaps and chapesses, we will be back on thread soon ;)

Good to hear from you Tony, would be great to meet up sometime this year at Rockingham...I'll keep my eye out for you! Might even have the Focus by then (nearly put 'might have the ST by then but thought better of it) :) Put the pictures of the mondeo on Facebook 'owned' if anyone cares to have a bid..lol

OK, back on thread now I have finished reminiscing ;)

Reynard
11th April 2008, 21:35
Like most i'm lurking more than posting on here nowadays,there just isnt much to comment on anymore.Its a shame really as there are some great passionate fans here like wends,jackie (earnahrdt 8) tim (bobgarage) reynard and her cats :) and many many others.Being a cat lover as well i used to enjoy the cat photos,although i could never admit to it and damage my reputation.

You needn't worry about your reputation, mate! ;) You'd be surprised as to the number of folk from here that I've bumped into at cat shows - but I'll keep stum as to identities to protect their reputations... :cheese:

Just an idea to try and get things going again here but why cant we,all the old forum fans,discuss and agree on a race date to attend just to try and show the support for ascars is still here.I'll be going to pembrey but i reckon we should all get to mallory park and help get a bigger paying attendance than for the PUTS at the rock on the same day.This isnt meant as a dig against those wimpy vehicles (joke!!) but just to show "the powers that be" how many of us still want v8's back on the oval.

I'd have to saw myself in two to try and accomplish that... Maybe we could have a look at Snetterton later in the year? It's actually a great circuit to get together, haul out the disposable BBQs and have a good shindig. As it's not quite as manic as racing at Rockingham, I'd be more than happy to put aside some time to share photography tips and maybe some home-baked bix.

ss_collins
13th April 2008, 14:15
V8 Oval racing 2008 is dead (for whatever reason), and as that is the type of racing that the majority of fans want, so is the forum.

Well perhaps those fans could get thier fix at Warneton or Lydden with the bigger badder CAMSO V8's (all on ovals!), and maybe you should all lobby Roland (who reads these boards) to take the series to Mallory!

racing59
13th April 2008, 16:27
ASCAR/SCSA/V8 Oval racing 2008 is dead (for whatever reason), and as that is the type of racing that the majority of fans want, so is the forum.

PUT's are ok, but they have only ever been part-time Oval racers, the true UK Oval series is hopefully only having a relapse and will be back in 2009 - then the fans will return to the forum.

When the behind the scenes back stabbing stops, maybe we might have a chance at going back.

The VSR's were going to have a round at Silverstone until they heard that we (the V8 Trophy) had joined them. Suddenly our 105dB(A) was too loud, but everyone else's is OK.

The fact is, there are people in the motorsport world that do not want us to be successful because they are scared of what we may become. It is one of the reasons we were cast off and into the clutches of the BRSCC, in the hope that they would do what they have done with every other successful thing they have touched - killed it.

The series could have been very successful if they had carried on running it in-house, and managed/marketed it properly. But they decided to cut and run.

All I can say though, is that for now, driving an ASCAR on a road course is the greatest fun I've had in years!

Don't forget, the VSR series generally operates reverse grids, which brings about plenty of overtaking, and good racing.

We didn't do reverse grids this weekend at Cadwell, because the circuit is very narrow, and it could have led to carnage!

Normal service will be resumed at Lydden.

Rob.

Gasman#99
13th April 2008, 20:07
never mind where are the fans on the forum-where are the fans at the curcuit?
in fact where are the rest of the so called v8 race drivers who cant be bothered to turn up to support there fellow drivers even if there not racing????
Nice to see tony hurdle turn up for support from a couple of hundred miles away, puts the rest of them to shame, me thinks. :mad:

ready2rock
13th April 2008, 22:39
Im not exactly a fan, well i am, but an official too.
I was at every meeting in 2003/04 and absolutely loved watching the series, and have been gutted that it hasnt had the credit or grids it deserves.
I joined the forum in 05 to try and keep track of the series.
Its great to know whats going on, but also upsetting to hear how things have declined from what i used to watch.
I was at the rock this weekend for BTCC and found an old billboard from 03, with a grid of 20 cars (i think, i tried to count) and absolutely packed grandstand as the cars went 2/3 wide into T1.
As said before, if the racing is good, then fans are interested and come looking on here.
I always lurk around, reading what happens in here, as i try to keep an interest, but fans won't look behind the scenes, so to speak, and come on here unless they enjoy the racing, and its publicised that there is this forum that they can use.
Rob.

The Pits!
14th April 2008, 18:54
When the behind the scenes back stabbing stops, maybe we might have a chance at going back.
The VSR's were going to have a round at Silverstone until they heard that we (the V8 Trophy) had joined them. Suddenly our 105dB(A) was too loud, but everyone else's is OK.
The fact is, there are people in the motorsport world that do not want us to be successful because they are scared of what we may become. It is one of the reasons we were cast off and into the clutches of the BRSCC, in the hope that they would do what they have done with every other successful thing they have touched - killed it.
The series could have been very successful if they had carried on running it in-house, and managed/marketed it properly. But they decided to cut and run.
Rob.
Hmm, are you not being a touch paranoid here?

racing59
14th April 2008, 20:20
No, I've had enough of people (who I won't name) working against us.

Just because you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean that THEY are not out to get YOU! ;)

darknessrock
14th April 2008, 21:24
Just because you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean that THEY are not out to get YOU! ;)

Pure genius

fastbob
14th April 2008, 21:44
No, I've had enough of people (who I won't name) working against us.

To play devils advocate.... and just as a point for discussion..... why would any one not directly involved or with an investment in the series work with you/the series.....

I wish they/everyone would.... but why is it always expected?

The obviously have a a different passion/interest!!

racing59
14th April 2008, 22:35
It all depends what you're trying to achieve.

If you passion is world domination, and your product is perceived (by you) as the best, and the one which is actually better, but is a little ill just happens to falter, what do you? Help it get better, or help euthanise it so yours is now the top dog?

It could all end up in tears though, especially if your product doesn't sell, and was actually only selling because people really wanted to be there for the ailing, but superior product.

fastbob
15th April 2008, 09:03
From your reply Rob it proposes the series has ended up being stopped from ending up on the oval by one person!! I can't believe that is what has ended up happening.
How would he/she keep the entry numbers so low in the last couple of years. Perhaps you have ended up ending up paranoid!!!!! ;-)

scubie
15th April 2008, 12:02
never mind where are the fans on the forum-where are the fans at the curcuit?
in fact where are the rest of the so called v8 race drivers who cant be bothered to turn up to support there fellow drivers even if there not racing????
Nice to see tony hurdle turn up for support from a couple of hundred miles away, puts the rest of them to shame, me thinks. :mad:

I was there too, :bounce: as well as being at Snetterton
I'll be at Lydden as well

pickup
15th April 2008, 13:18
Steady guys your'e getting off topic and the secret team talk is creeping in, Jooles will be getting PM's again.

foxystoat
15th April 2008, 13:19
It all depends what you're trying to achieve.

If you passion is world domination, and your product is perceived (by you) as the best, and the one which is actually better, but is a little ill just happens to falter, what do you? Help it get better, or help euthanise it so yours is now the top dog?

It could all end up in tears though, especially if your product doesn't sell, and was actually only selling because people really wanted to be there for the ailing, but superior product.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but that sounds like your saying in a cryptic way that Sonny Howard or someone at the PUT's killed V8's on the Oval.
I really hope I have interpreted it wrong as you should be working together & both be there.

Abo
15th April 2008, 13:28
From your reply Rob it proposes the series has ended up being stopped from ending up on the oval by one person!! I can't believe that is what has ended up happening.

Bob that was naughty! :p

Reynard
15th April 2008, 16:00
Foxy, why would Sonny and the pickup folks shoot themselves in the foot over that? They'd have just as much to lose as the V8 folk if they did that. The logic of that argument totally escapes me, I'm afraid.

I'm planning on being at all the Snet V8 meetings (no excuse, it's my local circuit) as well as Brands - and may squeeze a trip to Lydden in as well.

car20
15th April 2008, 17:02
I am planning going to mallory & brands,
But a question of numbers! Is the low car count with cars having to be converted to road set up or is this it or likley to be for the season?? (just asking,i will bound to be asked by family on the way)

Call me stupid though but explian again why if the brscc are having a meeting on july at rockingham the V8's are not there?? even for a one off race IF i read right that there were 18 cars that wanted to race (just asking as i can't find any explanation but only liitle information scattered around this forum And i also ain't got the time to trawel

fastbob
15th April 2008, 17:32
Steady guys your'e getting off topic and the secret team talk is creeping in, Jooles will be getting PM's again.

The only team i'm a member of runs two Legends........and they don't have a forum here!!!

pickup
15th April 2008, 19:11
The only team i'm a member of runs two Legends........and they don't have a forum here!!!

That was a hypathetical SCSA team member as opposed to a fan who would'nt know what it might end up being at the end of it all.

scubie
15th April 2008, 19:15
I am planning going to mallory & brands,
But a question of numbers! Is the low car count with cars having to be converted to road set up or is this it or likley to be for the season?? (just asking,i will bound to be asked by family on the way)

Hi,

Currently there are two cars converted (Colin's 78 and the 99) as has been seen at Snett and Cadwell.
Rob is currently rebuilding his car around the actual 59 chassis, following his visit to the wall in september.
Duane and the lads at revolution are currently converting the 98 car.
I have just joined Team Networking, so Duncan and myself will be out in the cars when they are converted.
And I'm sure that Duane will be able to add more to that list
Don't forget that we are also the super silloetttes, VSR V6's and V8's, in the same races and the racing so far has been excellent between all the classes. With some corking battles between Keith, Colin and Kevin Clarke all in different classes but battling for the overall lead. If you don't believe me look at the cadwell picture thread.

fastbob
15th April 2008, 20:02
That was a hypathetical SCSA team member as opposed to a fan who would'nt know what it might end up being at the end of it all.

I'm not sure i'm hypathetical !!!!!!!! Maybe i am..... perhaps i only exist in cyber world!!!!

And i'm not hypocritical either before anyone pipes up!!!!!

racing59
15th April 2008, 20:23
I'm not rebuilding my car, I'm sitting here on this forum!

I'm picking up where I left off tomorrow all being well.

Following Cadwell, Colin's keen, Tony's keen, I'm keen, Scubie's keen, Dunc's keen, maybe Steve Hobday will finally be out, and even the rumour mill is suggesting that Phil Weaver, John Steward (and a.n.other), may be out at Lydden.

Tony Hurdle
15th April 2008, 21:08
John Steward???????? That would be great. I didn't think he fancied turning right either. Guess he's bored at home:-)))))))))))))

foxystoat
15th April 2008, 21:10
If theres a few more cars out by Mallory I may take a visit.

The Pits!
15th April 2008, 21:27

I said to my Doctor "I think I'm a schizophrenic paranoid"

He told me I wasn't.

But we know better - don't we?

racing59
16th April 2008, 08:08
John Steward???????? That would be great. I didn't think he fancied turning right either. Guess he's bored at home:-)))))))))))))

It's the rumour mill working overtime I think! But then again, he can nip down in the morning, do practice, go home for a kip, come back and race, or two, then back home in time to peel the spuds for dinner. :D :p

car20
16th April 2008, 16:40
thanks scubie for information...

now to look for the nearest travelodge or b&b it's 5 hour from where i live to mallory and around 7' 8 to brands ....it's 4 1/2 hours for me to rockingham wife is learning to drive so i hope so passes before then to share driving duties ??????