PDA

View Full Version : why have f1 not done anything over lewis speeding fines

CNR
7th April 2008, 22:03
other sporting codes do

it is called bringing the sport into disrespute

18 Dec 2007 ... British Formula One star Lewis Hamilton has had his driving licence suspended for a month after being caught speeding on a French motorway. ...
The speed limit on French motorways is 130km/h and he was doing 196km/h
66 km over and only fined $1000 by a court

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7149915.stm

the shine will ware off goldenboy and you will see his true colour

Mickey T
7th April 2008, 22:50
well, if the boss sees nothing wrong in trying to get away with what he's trying to get away with, then a racing driver driving quickly off-piste clearly isn't on the FIA's scope.

Powered by Cosworth
7th April 2008, 22:59
Loads of drivers have done it. So what?

wmcot
7th April 2008, 23:27
It should be up to the local legal system, not F1.

Tazio
7th April 2008, 23:29
why have f1 not done anything over lewis speeding fines - 7th Apr 08, 15:03

What would you like them to do?

Shifter
8th April 2008, 00:11
One time, Stirling Moss was pulled over for speeding, and the cop walked up to his door and said "Who the heck do you think you are, Stirling Moss?" To which Moss simply handed the cop his drivers' license.

Zico
8th April 2008, 00:29
Nearly all of us forum members and it wouldnt surprise me if most F1 drivers probably have or will be convicted of the offence at some time in our/their lives. While it obviously isnt role model material, I think your suggestion that a speeding conviction has brought the sport of F1 into desrepute... a tad silly.. especially after the week we've had.

You suggested Lewis tried to ram Alonso on the other thread.. and now this?

PSfan
8th April 2008, 01:21
other sporting codes do

18 Dec 2007 ... British Formula One star Lewis Hamilton has had his driving licence suspended for a month after being caught speeding on a French motorway. ...
The speed limit on French motorways is 130km/h and he was doing 196km/h
66 km over and only fined $1000 by a court

Well, in terms of who actually brought the sport into disrespute, I agree Hamiltons case is worse considering there can be a direct connection to the sport of autoracing when a race car driver breaks the law speeding then compared to an official being caught doing um... you know... what Max does when he thinks no-one is watching... :p :

Hamilton is also a role model... and well, don't think Mosley has the power to affect any impressionable minds anymore...

And as a brought the "worst case scenario" in another thread regarding Hamilton and driving... Worst thing that could happen to MM for his activities... the spread of stds, more kids (wait that could be a very bad thing :p : ) And the Worst that could have happened with Hamilton speeding on public roads? DEAD PEOPLE...

Daniel
8th April 2008, 03:22
This thread belongs in the bin :)

Rollo
8th April 2008, 05:18

"Disrepute" is not a legal concept.

Lewis has not defamed, slandered or caused libel against the FIA and would therefore have no charge to answer to. There aren't any conditions spelled out within the sporting regulations which support your claim either.

At any rate you yourself posted this:

British Formula One star Lewis Hamilton has had his driving licence suspended for a month after being caught speeding on a French motorway.
Which means that the French courts have dealt with this, and since France is a signatory to the European Convention of Human Rights, the right against double jeopardy exists in France.

Why? Because no case exists.

truefan72
8th April 2008, 05:21
This thread belongs in the bin :)

LOL

agreed!

Daniel
8th April 2008, 05:23

Lewis has not defamed, slandered or caused libel against the FIA and would therefore have no charge to answer to. There aren't any conditions spelled out within the sporting regulations which support your claim either.

Which means that the French courts have dealt with this, and since France is a signatory to the European Convention of Human Rights, the right against double jeopardy exists in France.

Why? Because no case exists.
Don't feed the hairy norwegians that live under bridges ;)

ozrevhead
8th April 2008, 05:39
Most team and most indiviual sports have rules like 'bringing the game/sport into disrepute' and could end up in banning/fines for such offences that get trouble with the law (speeding, drink driving et.). We had two Australian Rules football players serve club suspentions for being caught urinating in a public place (somthing im sure many males have done before). One last year served a six week club ban after been caught for speeding was even banned to train with team.... and this was the players who instigated this not the Club officals.

Its all about protecting the 'image of the code/game/sport' partically in this day and age where sports people are suppose to be 'role models' for yonger viewers. Like it or not there are kids who copy their 'stars.'

This is also part of the terms of their contract which I would think is a legal binding doccument - Its no different to a company policy that would allowthe dismissal or suspention of an employee if he turned up to the workplace on drugs/drunk, or lost their licence where driving is a major part of your work (taxis, truck drivers, emergency services etc.) Sport is now a busness and the FIA/McLaren are Lewis's employees and would expect protcols and behaviours to be followed by their employees, the drivers like any company.

The average employee would be in trouble with their company if they were arrested and found guilty of an civil offence. I dont understand why many think Lewis/F1 drivers should be treated any different

CNR
8th April 2008, 05:49
why have f1 not done anything over lewis speeding fines - 7th Apr 08, 15:03

What would you like them to do?

remind him that he is role model to young (no brains) drivers that think if lewis can do i can.

Rollo
8th April 2008, 06:05
My esteemed colleague Mr Ozrevhead is 100% correct. A code of conduct is a legally binding contract which would specify what is expected behaviour. However, now you're not talking about "disrepute" but actual breach of contract.

Incidents like this however, are not spelled out within the International Sporting Code of the FIA, nor Appendix L to the regulations. It would therefore appear that the FIA have no stance at all on the matter.

Sport is now a buisness and the FIA/McLaren are Lewis's employers and would expect protcols and behaviours to be followed by their employees, the drivers like any company.

The average employee would be in trouble with their company if they were arrested and found guilty of an civil offence. I dont understand why many think Lewis/F1 drivers should be treated any different

You could ask about McLaren's code of conduct but (and from the same article):
A McLaren spokesman told the BBC: "McLaren has been made aware that Lewis was stopped for speeding in France whilst driving in a private capacity.
We understand he has received a mandatory fine and suspension from driving in France for one month."
It would seem that McLaren are also disinterested in doing anything about this.

ozrevhead
8th April 2008, 06:16
My esteemed colleague Mr Ozrevhead is 100% correct. A code of conduct is a legally binding contract which would specify what is expected behaviour. However, now you're not talking about "disrepute" but actual breach of contract.

Incidents like this however, are not spelled out within the International Sporting Code of the FIA, nor Appendix L to the regulations. It would therefore appear that the FIA have no stance at all on the matter.

Firstly is Miss Ozrevhead :p and secondly I agree that the FIA sporting code doesnt spell it out BUT other sports do by calling it, wait you guessed it 'bringing the sport into disrepute.' Thats how these club punishments for these offences are written in the sports code of conduct. Im sure the Seria A or the EPL would have plenty of examples of this.

it is one major 'sub heading' in most sports and indivdual teams 'code of conduct' - Like I said any person breaching their company's code of conduct would be up for disiplinary action of some form.

Tazio
8th April 2008, 06:22

Why? Because no case exists.Rollo,
I knew there had to be something about you I liked :confused: Good show! Jolly good show!! :p :
You know you've got your pedestrian fans that try to copensate by being sincerely
concerned for the integrety of the sport and each participant. But, the all important PC question is...............................
................. What has he done for the children :beer: The Poor children :beer:

ozrevhead
8th April 2008, 06:31
Rollo,
I knew there had to be something about you I liked :confused: Good show! Jolly good show!! :p :
You know you've got your pedestrian fans that try to copensate by being sincerely
concerned for the integrety of the sport and each participant. But, the all important PC question is...............................
................. What has he done for the children :beer: The Poor children :beer:
I will requote some of my post that relates to your comments.

In this day and age sports people are suppose to be 'role models' for yonger viewers. Like it or not there are kids who copy and look up their 'stars and there would be some thinking 'Lewis got away with it I can too'

Thats is the current play of sport today and will be for years to come

Tazio
8th April 2008, 06:50
remind him that he is role model to young (no brains) drivers that think if lewis can do i can. No!!! In such matters it is the parents job! As one, I have two adult offspring.
One Thirty-one, the other Twenty-eight. I never worried about them developing necessarry life skills
through the behavior of social icons, as I explained to them early on "these are simply people".

Rollo
8th April 2008, 06:54
1. Lewis Hamilton broke the law (speeding) - not excusing him for that.
2. He should be punished for breaking the law.
3. He was/and is currently serving that punishment - Fined 600 Euro plus being banned from driving in France for a month.

What else do you want? The relevant authorities have exacted their punishment, what's left?

maxu05
8th April 2008, 07:11
He was caught speeding, how trivial is that ? He did the crime and paid the fine, case closed. If he was caught speeding with a car full of hookers, well ...........?

Tazio
8th April 2008, 07:37
I will requote some of my post that relates to your comments.

In this day and age sports people are suppose to be 'role models' for yonger viewers. Like it or not there are kids who copy and look up their 'stars and there would be some thinking 'Lewis got away with it I can too'

Thats is the current play of sport today and will be for years to comeI respectfully disagree!
No! I emphatically disagree. Every time that phrase is muttered it gives validation to an erroneous belief.
Being an athlete I happen to know that the majority suffer from what used to be called "The Peter Pan Syndrome"
And more to the point, they generally make poor role models.
The reason being that they have to remain to a larger degree self centered too keep their competitive edge.
My Parents were career educators. Those are the ones that should accept the responsibility if these children parents and influential family members are derelict of their duty.
It's helpful to have a teaching credential to help young people learn that you are responsible for your own actions.
After all of that, the ones that fall through the cracks? This is a harsh statement.
But it is in reality a natural culling of the human population. Even if the culled were comepletely inocent. Life is not a fair or equitable proposition!

truefan72
8th April 2008, 07:46
I respectfully disagree!
No! I emphatically disagree. Every time that phrase is muttered it gives validation to an erroneous belief.
Being an athlete I happen to know that the majority suffer from what used to be called "The Peter Pan Syndrome"
And more to the point, they generally make poor role models.
The reason being that they have to remain to a larger degree self centered too keep their competitive edge.
My Parents were career educators. Those are the ones that should accept the responsibility if these children parents and influential family members are derelict of their duty.
It's helpful to have a teaching credential to help young people learn that you are responsible for your own actions.
After all of that, the ones that fall through the cracks? This is a harsh statement.
But it is in reality a natural culling of the human population. Even if the culled were comepletely inocent. Life is not a fair or equitable proposition!

that about sums it up

it would be a weird akward and completely absurd world we would live in if we took after our sports and entertainment icons.

There is a reason tabloids exist.

Tazio
8th April 2008, 07:56
that about sums it up

it would be a weird akward and completely absurd world we would live in if we took after our sports and entertainment icons.

Peace Bro ;)

Tazio
8th April 2008, 07:58
He was caught speeding, how trivial is that ? He did the crime and paid the fine, case closed. If he was caught speeding with a car full of hookers, well ...........?From your lips to God's ear's!

ioan
8th April 2008, 09:58
other sporting codes do

You never know, maybe Bernie pays for his speeding tickets. I wouldn't call that nothing! :D ;)

BDunnell
8th April 2008, 10:25
Here we go again...

yodasarmpit
8th April 2008, 19:42
It's not as if he's the first F1 star to be caught speeding, and the FIA or F1 administration did nothing on those occasions.
I take it you would prefer F1 to treat Lewis differently then?

maxu05
9th April 2008, 00:26
If YOU are caught speeding and get your driving license suspended, will your employer punish you ?

PSfan
9th April 2008, 02:42
If YOU are caught speeding and get your driving license suspended, will your employer punish you ?

I suppose it depends on your what occupation, what I do would be a little more difficult without a drivers license, but the company I work for would find ways around it (of course I would be pretty miserable...) However, I do know that some of my fellow co-workers wouldn't be so lucky because their duties do require them to transport themselves around. Another of my co-workers is exempt from some jobs because he has accumilated enough speeding tickets that some places just don't want the guy operating equipment on their property...(The company still pay insurance on the equipment, and insurence for him is just to much... he's stuck operating equipment in our pits, and nowhere near the road...) And when I was in High school, for law class we visited the courthouse, and one guy was they requesting he not lose his license (caught drinking and driving and that is a 1 year suspension...) because he was a truck driver by trade, he didn't get to much sympathy from the judge...

Just imagine if Hamilton's suspension was for long enough to overlap the french gp? Should he be allowed to race when he isn't allowed to drive himself to the track?

He was caught speeding, how trivial is that ? He did the crime and paid the fine, case closed. If he was caught speeding with a car full of hookers, well ...........?

As far as the FIA should be consedered, its the same crime:

ARTICLE 2 - OBJECT OF THE FIA
The object of the FIA shall be to establish a union between its members, chiefly with a view to:

1) Maintaining a world-wide organisation upholding the interests of its membership in all international matters concerning automobile mobility and tourism and motor sport.

2) Promoting freedom of mobility through affordable, safe, and clean motoring, and defending the rights of consumers when travelling by automobile.

3) Promoting the development of motor sport, enacting, interpreting and enforcing common rules applicable to the organization and running of motor sport events.

4) Promoting the development of the facilities and services of the Member Clubs, Associations and Federations of the FIA and the co-ordination of reciprocal services between Member Clubs for the benefit of their individual members when travelling abroad.

5) Exercising jurisdiction in respect of disputes of a sporting order and any disputes which might arise between its Members, or in relation to any of its Members having contravened the obligations laid down by the Statutes, the International Sporting Code and the Regulations.

6) Preserving and conserving all documents concerning world motoring in order to trace its History.

Read anything in there covering hookers? no... didn't think so... Speeding would be covered under #2

Now I wouldn't want to see a championship, or even a race influenced by something that happened outside of racing, but as current events go, As far as bad press for the formula 1, and the FIA, someone granted an FIA "superlicense" driving dangerously (speeding) is a bigger black mark to the FIA then getting caught with a hooker...

Oh and for those new to the sport, or have a short memory... in 2000 Hungary had a "red light" district next to the GP... May not have been welcomed, but it was tolerated...

As for what the FIA should do about drivers who get "real life" traffic violations? I think they should adopt a points structure that a driver that is caught "breaking the law" in their non-race driving, face some consequences when its time for them to renew their "superlicense"

Hawkmoon
9th April 2008, 03:21
Sports people are role models to some young people. Like it or not, fair or not, that's the way it is. Kids idolise their sporting heroes. How many kids kicking a ball around are fantasizing about being David Beckham? If they emulate his on-field behaviour they may very well emulate his off-field behaviour as well.

High profile sports people have to be careful what they do or say. It may not be fair or easy on them but it is the price they pay for getting to play a game for a living and getting paid outrageous sums of money to do it.

Hamilton has been dealt with by the French authorities. Crime done, punishment exacted. Case closed. Except if he does it repeatedly. Then I think both McLaren and the FIA would have to take steps to curb his behaviour because it would be damaging to the team and the sport.

jjanicke
9th April 2008, 04:08
PSfan, Hawkmoon and others of similar opinion you're taking it too far. Are movie and rock stars idolized and fantasied by kids. Absolutely! Yet they continual get into drug, civil, alcohol, etc related trouble.

F1 is a business. The FIA polices F1, not the drivers personal life. Comparing Max's 5 hookers in Gestapo outfits to Lewis loosing his license in France is nothing more than a retarded comparisson.

Let's not get too crazy here. In Singapore you can get jailed and lashed for spitting out a piece of gum. Should an F1 driver caught spitting out gum (repeatedly) in Singapore get his superlicense revoked? (no need to answer) WAKE UP PEOPLE!

PSfan
9th April 2008, 05:35
PSfan, Hawkmoon and others of similar opinion you're taking it too far. Are movie and rock stars idolized and fantasied by kids. Absolutely! Yet they continual get into drug, civil, alcohol, etc related trouble.

All celebrities face ramifications for their actions, Do you think Disney is gonna do another "herbie" movie with Lohan in her current state? Also I understand an actress is also not returning for another "high school musical" because of some pictures... Spears is gonna have a hard time selling cd's like she use to, and I'm sure I could go on... but this is a Formula forum, but I'm sure you get the idea...

F1 is a business. The FIA polices F1, not the drivers personal life. Comparing Max's 5 hookers in Gestapo outfits to Lewis loosing his license in France is nothing more than a retarded comparisson.

"The FIA polices F1, not the drivers personal life" your words, yet the majority here want Max out because of his personal life... Lets imagine it was Hamilton caught with the hookers, would everyone want him out of F1 too?

And as I pointed out in my last post... The FIA don't just police F1... #2 of their objetives is to promote safe driving... Mosley even claims he would resign if he would be caught speed or driving under the influence...

The point I'm trying to make is, the FIA should be more concerned with traffic laws, then laws of morality...

Let's not get too crazy here. In Singapore you can get jailed and lashed for spitting out a piece of gum. Should an F1 driver caught spitting out gum (repeatedly) in Singapore get his superlicense revoked? (no need to answer) WAKE UP PEOPLE!

No need to answer? not my style man...

I'm sure based on my response to maxu post suggesting that Hamilton speeding with hookers would be different you already know what I'm gonna say:

If a Driver gets nailed for gum spitting 100 times during the race weekend, the FIA shouldn't involve themselve in the matter (though I just wonder how much jail time one can expect for that... The driver might already be missing races because he's in jail...)

However, if said driver gets caught spitting out his gum, while breaking the speed limit, driving under the influence, blowing a stop sign, running over a pedestrian etc etc... then yes, the FIA should be able to hold him accountable... see a difference?

ozrevhead
9th April 2008, 07:29
your assuming two things that a) every teenage child will listen to their parents and that b) everyone that becomes a parent knows what they are doing. You and I both know its not the case. We know that the majority of parents are working longer than ever and some are even leaving young kids home alone.

We also know that teens have to put up with peer pressure for one and secondly they will copy/follow their idols - I dont think its right but I not going to bury my head in the sand and not seeing whats happening. For example, how many brittish kids wanted to 'Bend it Like Beckham' and to play like him.......PLENTY! Do you honestly believe they will stop to just wanting to play like them.

ozrevhead
9th April 2008, 07:38
Some will - every company has a code of conduct and it depends on the company what that is.

I know someone who works with a trucking company and you are instantly dismissed if you loose your licence regardless if he was in his car or truck - no questions asked, no right of reply and they know this and accept it.

Mark
9th April 2008, 07:38
Your employer cannot legally punish you for a crime which has nothing to do with the job you are doing.

Indeed may courts will take into consideration that you may need to drive for work when taking a decision as to if suspending your licence is appropriate.

ozrevhead
9th April 2008, 07:39
that about sums it up

and its the world we currently live in

ozrevhead
9th April 2008, 07:41
Your employer cannot legally punish you for a crime which has nothing to do with the job you are doing.

Indeed may courts will take into consideration that you may need to drive for work when taking a decision as to if suspending your licence is appropriate.
if its in your contract under a code of conduct what then?

if your car is the only mode of transport and not having it doesnt allow you to attend work what then?

shall the company in question let is slide?

Mark
9th April 2008, 07:53
if its in your contract under a code of conduct what then?

Depends very much on your job and what it involves. Say for example my job which is working in an office with no customer facing role, then I could not be fired for a traffic offence, even if it was written into my contract that I would be, because that's an unfair term. But if I was a driving instructor it would be different!

if your car is the only mode of transport and not having it doesnt allow you to attend work what then?

Depends, it's rare that a car is the only form of transport. The judge will look at the availability of public transport in your area, the cost of taxi's vs your income vs you having to give up work. (They don't want to put you out of work as that's an extra punishment and it costs in benefits and lost taxes!)

This is where having a good legal team comes in very handy ;) . Footballers have been known to argue they can't go on the bus because of their status they will get mobbed, all a bit of a con!

shall the company in question let is slide?

It's usually not within their power to let anything happen :p

ShiftingGears
9th April 2008, 07:54
your assuming two things that a) every teenage child will listen to their parents and that b) everyone that becomes a parent knows what they are doing. You and I both know its not the case. We know that the majority of parents are working longer than ever and some are even leaving young kids home alone.

We also know that teens have to put up with peer pressure for one and secondly they will copy/follow their idols - I dont think its right but I not going to bury my head in the sand and not seeing whats happening. For example, how many brittish kids wanted to 'Bend it Like Beckham' and to play like him.......PLENTY! Do you honestly believe they will stop to just wanting to play like them.

Theres a difference between aspiring to play like him and wanting to marry someone with eating problems because your idol did...as an example ;)

jjanicke
9th April 2008, 20:42
All celebrities face ramifications for their actions, Do you think Disney is gonna do another "herbie" movie with Lohan in her current state? Also I understand an actress is also not returning for another "high school musical" because of some pictures... Spears is gonna have a hard time selling cd's like she use to, and I'm sure I could go on... but this is a Formula forum, but I'm sure you get the idea...

"The FIA polices F1, not the drivers personal life" your words, yet the majority here want Max out because of his personal life... Lets imagine it was Hamilton caught with the hookers, would everyone want him out of F1 too?

And as I pointed out in my last post... The FIA don't just police F1... #2 of their objetives is to promote safe driving... Mosley even claims he would resign if he would be caught speed or driving under the influence...

The point I'm trying to make is, the FIA should be more concerned with traffic laws, then laws of morality...

No need to answer? not my style man...

I'm sure based on my response to maxu post suggesting that Hamilton speeding with hookers would be different you already know what I'm gonna say:

If a Driver gets nailed for gum spitting 100 times during the race weekend, the FIA shouldn't involve themselve in the matter (though I just wonder how much jail time one can expect for that... The driver might already be missing races because he's in jail...)

However, if said driver gets caught spitting out his gum, while breaking the speed limit, driving under the influence, blowing a stop sign, running over a pedestrian etc etc... then yes, the FIA should be able to hold him accountable... see a difference?

I hear you!

Lewis wasn't caught "caught spitting out his gum, while breaking the speed limit, driving under the influence, blowing a stop sign, running over a pedestrian etc etc... ", so let's agree this ridiculous call for action from this thread doesn't apply to his single infraction.

Nikki Katz
9th April 2008, 23:18
Personally I don't see that this is a big deal. Loads of drivers have been caught speeding in the past, I don't see why Hamilton should be singled out. Lots of sports stars have got away with a lot, lot worse. I don't like governing bodies being overly draconian with punishments anyway; I'm still a little upset that Enge was stripped of his F3000 title.
I think that it used to be the case that a driver needed to have a driver's licence in order to get a superlicence, but this was dropped around 2000-ish. Which was just in time for Ralf Schumacher, who got a 6 month ban later that year.

maxu05
10th April 2008, 00:31
And to top it all off, he owes the school library 25p for a book he returned late, I say sack him now :D

airshifter
10th April 2008, 01:33
And to top it all off, he owes the school library 25p for a book he returned late, I say sack him now :D

I heard he was with a hooker, and that caused the book to be late!

It's a ticket. Nothing most of us haven't dealt with and kept our jobs. If it was a major crime I would feel differently, but it's not a major crime.

A race car driver gets a speeding ticket, and the forum reacts as if it's tabloid material. :laugh:

Hawkmoon
10th April 2008, 01:39
The NFL in the States takes a very dim view of it's players breaking any law. Driving under the influence will get you in as much trouble as taking steroids. The former has nothing to do with the game and the latter most certainly does yet the NFL treats them both as drug abuse and the players are punished according to the NFL's policies.

I'm sure many of you have heard of former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and his dog fighting troubles. The NFL have indefinently banned Vick from playing in the NFL. Why? Because having a player convicted of cruelty to animals is a very bad image for the NFL and they want to make sure that Vick's bad image doesn't effect the league.

Whilst I'm not trying to compare Hamilton's speeding to Vick's dog fighting, I do think that bad behaviour on the part of an F1 driver will have a negative effect on the sport. You only have to look at the way rugby league has sufferred because of the drunken and violent behaviour of many of it's players here in Australia.

One speeding fine is no big deal and has been dealt with appropriately. Repeated offenses have to be dealt with much more harshly. If Hamilton gets caught again then McLaren, Formula 1 and the FIA will have to take action otherwise they will be seen as condoning breaking the law.

wmcot
10th April 2008, 07:28
The NFL in the States takes a very dim view of it's players breaking any law.

But I haven't heard of any NFL players being suspended, fined or terminated for just speeding!

PSfan
10th April 2008, 20:15
I hear you!

Lewis wasn't caught "caught spitting out his gum, while breaking the speed limit, driving under the influence, blowing a stop sign, running over a pedestrian etc etc... ", so let's agree this ridiculous call for action from this thread doesn't apply to his single infraction.

You implied that there was no difference between "Spitting out gum" in singapore, and a traffic violation. I'm simply pointing out that the FIA has an interest in road safety, and not who litters where, or whatever justification singapore has for their spitting laws...

The traffic ticket thread never should have even gotten started.
Bashers embraced it

Sorry Tazio if I dragged your comment into this thread, seemed more appropriate to responde here...

I am not bashing Hamilton in particular in this thread, my opinion would be the exactly the same weather it be Hamilton, Massa, Heidfeld, Liuzzi, or even Villeneuve (if he is can still be influenced by the FIA...)

Opinion 1: It is hypocritical to expect the FIA to do something regarding someone found guilty of doing something outside of FIA Business, but turn a blind eye when someone is guilty of a crime within the FIA's field...

Opinion 2: If the one of the FIA's "missions" is road safety, then they should have a system in place that adds some extra "punishment" for those they deemed to undermining their objectives (where they have the power to do so)

I am not suggesting Hamilton lose his superlicense or even be forced not to race in countries he's not allowed on their public roads, Just some aknowledgement from the FIA that they don't condone this behavior. I wouldn't object to a system where a drivers superlicense cost more because they are considered a dangerous driver off track.

Tazio
10th April 2008, 20:45
You implied that there was no difference between "Spitting out gum" in singapore, and a traffic violation. I'm simply pointing out that the FIA has an interest in road safety, and not who litters where, or whatever justification singapore has for their spitting laws...

Sorry Tazio if I dragged your comment into this thread, seemed more appropriate to responde here...

I am not bashing Hamilton in particular in this thread, my opinion would be the exactly the same weather it be Hamilton, Massa, Heidfeld, Liuzzi, or even Villeneuve (if he is can still be influenced by the FIA...)

Opinion 1: It is hypocritical to expect the FIA to do something regarding someone found guilty of doing something outside of FIA Business, but turn a blind eye when someone is guilty of a crime within the FIA's field...

Opinion 2: If the one of the FIA's "missions" is road safety, then they should have a system in place that adds some extra "punishment" for those they deemed to undermining their objectives (where they have the power to do so)

I am not suggesting Hamilton lose his superlicense or even be forced not to race in countries he's not allowed on their public roads, Just some aknowledgement from the FIA that they don't condone this behavior. I wouldn't object to a system where a drivers superlicense cost more because they are considered a dangerous driver off track.No problem! Comments are here on the record to be quoted.
Like every thread regardless of its origin. You can usually find meaningful opinions. I think I posted 3 or 4 times on that thread and never even mentioned Hamiltons name. Your opinion is very seriously stated. I was only suggesting that it was a great platform for those who only want to bash!

jso1985
10th April 2008, 21:12
But I haven't heard of any NFL players being suspended, fined or terminated for just speeding!

mostly cause there's a difference between commiting a crime and making an infraction.

If Hamilton would had been involved in some crime, then the FIA should to something, but speeding is not a crime!

Tazio
11th April 2008, 09:01
The NFL in the States takes a very dim view of it's players breaking any law. Driving under the influence will get you in as much trouble as taking steroids. The former has nothing to do with the game and the latter most certainly does yet the NFL treats them both as drug abuse and the players are punished according to the NFL's policies..
Actually they don't treat them the same! The alcohol issue is one that the league has mandated the teams to include clauses into player contracts that abuse or legal misdeeds shall have consequences in addition to the legal ramifications. And to your point there are statutory penalties applied by the league. In this situation the league is very concerned about its image. But beyond that the league provides counseling and alcohol/drug awareness programs, and in cases of multiple offences will make the offending players attend as a stipulation of returning to the team in an active roll. These situations also carry the loss of pay while completing these programs. It is a policy that benefits the league image as well as the individual.

The Steroid issue is a very serious matter and carries in American Football
A lot more serious consequences than steroid use in less violent sports. First of all football players especially defensive, or "non skill" position players are schooled in controlled violence. As training methods, and advances in the benefit of proper nutrition are applied, player have become bigger, faster, and stronger! In addition the the higher percentage of muscle mass to fat has help create more efficient "killing machine" as this allows faster closing speed thus harder impacts! When you add anabolic steroids into the equation
You do more than magnify this affect. Steroids work in developing muscle by reducing the amount of time it takes for muscle mass to recover from stress thus allowing the athlete to train on muscle development more frequently, and generate even more muscle. Beside the obvious health danger involved with artificially manipulating hormones in your system Anabolic Steroids cause believed because of unnatural amount of hormones cause your adrenal gland to malfunction. Thus the term "Steroid Rage" I'm sure most of you have heard story about Body Builders getting extremely violent, and even cases of homicide associated with "Steroid Rage" Extended use of anabolic Steroids
leads to a chronic adrenal glad malfunction. This malfunction does not always manifest itself in violence. What it does is send a message to your brain that you’re in eminent danger and you must act. It is a syndrome called Fight, or Flight" Needless to say, If you are six feet tall, and 240 pounds of muscle, there is a good chance you are going to think you need to kick someone's @$$. But you could just as easily feel a sudden onset of panic and the rage is turned inward. This scenario is potentially much worse as it will if not identified will lead to serious physical, and mental health issues!

There is a cottage industry for psychiatrists that work deprogramming American Football players, after they find it hard to assimilate normal relationships, and mental health upon leaving their profession and take on normal social interactions in day to day life. These patients don't only include steroid users. Their cases are for obvious reasons a little more difficult to remedy, and the sad part about it. Even with the latest medical/pharmaceutical advances, many only are able to manage their problem, as the damage to the adrenal gland, and its ability to comunicate with the brain naturally is irreversible!

I'm sure many of you have heard of former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and his dog fighting troubles. The NFL have indefinently banned Vick from playing in the NFL. Why? Because having a player convicted of cruelty to animals is a very bad image for the NFL and they want to make sure that Vick's bad image doesn't effect the league.
Oh, I am glad you brought up the Vick case! This goes far beyond a case of bad image! Personally I think too many pet owners are ill equipped to care for a dog properly, and I find it irresponsible when people use dogs as cheap for of a home alarm system, or just companionship. If they don't have the proper facilities or live in a house, or apartment that is conducive to a canine’s healththey shouldn’t have one. These are the people that don't exercise their dogs enough and turn them into the same unhealthy specimens they are as they are usually the types that live on fast food diets. They have laws for mistreating animals in the U.S. unfortunately this type of offender is not a priority. Just a sad commentary on our society.

But Vick! He not only financed the breeding, training and fighting of dogs. His accomplices, at least some were convicted felons! When Michael Vick was drafted The San Diego Chargers (My home team) overlooked him
And through a series of rather weird circumstances one of the players San Diego received as compensation for trading away the pick (that would have been Eli Manning) was a Running Back named LaDamian Tomlinson) When San Diego decided they didn't want Vick I remember my roommate A black man. A guy I had played some football with on a club level, nothing special. But this guy, Steve was a very talented athlete a High school Quarterback who received a scholarship to a major university in California and proceeded to take a portion of his scholarship fund invest it in Sensimilla. Got busted, lost his scholarship, and never found his way back to college. He was beside himself when San Diego passed on Vick. In fact his words were and I quote
"San Diego ain’t Nigga' enough to take Vick" A racist statement if their ever one was. The Ironic thing about the whole situation is Tomlinson ends up being one of the best, arguably the best player in the NFL. And on top of it he is a naturally and sincerely a fine human being soft-spoken humble involved in the community. A perfect roll model if you ever saw one.

My point is this. He evidently always was like this. He had a quality imbued in him at some point in his youth that allowed him to make the right decisions, and go on to succeed as an athlete and a perfect role model. His character is not something you accept along with a professional contract. Some people are disposed to lead, and lead exemplary lives. Others find being a conspicuous public figure, and being a good role model too difficult. It is unfair to put undue pressure on athletes to be good role models if it is all they can do to stay out of trouble and do their job at an acceptable level!

Knock-on
11th April 2008, 10:23
Well, we have had drivers being caught speeding since the sport began.

Fisi, Jenson, Juan, Eddie, Piquet have all been done in the last couple of years.

Like the flipping of the bird, this is just another excuse to jump on the Lewis bashing bandwagon where there is nothing of any substance to it.

Move along please...

Nothing here to see.....

Tazio
11th April 2008, 11:14

I respect your opinion! I just don't agree with it
for reason's I've stated on this,and other threads
I also respect your internet prowess! ;)

555-04Q2
11th April 2008, 11:31
other sporting codes do

Imagine if every company on earth fined their staff for speeding and bringing their companies into "disrespute". Leave the boy be.