PDA

View Full Version : British mass media is pathetic

ioan
7th April 2008, 15:27
First they accuse FA of brake testing LH.
Then after Renault proved it wasn't the case, and Ron and LH said it was Lewis' fault we get this:

'It subsequently emerged that the aerodynamic "bridge" connecting the two sides of the front wing across the nose of the McLaren had failed a couple of seconds before he plunged into the back of the Spaniard,' reports the Guardian.

'That gave Hamilton a fleeting rush of acceleration which carried him into his collision.'

This fiction is reported here:
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3396120,00.html

Can't they just accept that they were wrong?!

DazzlaF1
7th April 2008, 15:47
Im British and i like to see Lewis Hamilton do well and win the title one day, but i agree, the media here too often make him look like the sun shines out of his backside. Especially the Guardian, what they write honestly isnt fit to be bog-roll.

I just accept the fact that certain factions of the media here will always write about Hamilton as if they are fanboys and not actually describing the action on the track, in other words i ignore it and read what the outsiders think

V12
7th April 2008, 15:55
Can't they just accept that they were wrong?!

No - you clearly have the fortune of not knowing the British press very well :p :. In fact I would say all of the following have more chance of happening:

-Bernie Ecclestone going an entire year without threatening to drop the British GP.
-Super Aguri finishing 1st and 2nd in the next race.
-26 cars lining up for the start of a Formula 1 race.
-Me winning the National Lottery Jackpot. Twice. In a row.
-You get the idea :)

woody2goody
7th April 2008, 15:56
I said that both guys are blameless so I won't go into the actual accident again.

On the breakfast news this morning, all they said was that Lewis Hamilton had a crap race etc. barely mentioning the Ferraris and not mentioning BMW at all! At least before Lewis they put out proper race reports. To the British media it's like he has no hope of winning the title. There are 15 rounds left!

It didn't mention that even if he hadn't have crashed probably 6th or 7th would have been the best he could have done anyway. The media have made it sound like he threw away a victory or something.

wedge
7th April 2008, 16:12
I just heard about this on the BBC podcast.

Ioan,

that was speculation and typical paddock gossip and it's normal for post race debriefs to cover all angles. There may be some degree in truth because LH was racing midfield and subsequently there was a strong possibility of damaging the front wing prior to colliding with FA.

If you're saying the British media are pathetic then what about Ferrari's spin doctors in Malaysia trying to cover Massa's mistakes by saying he stalled the car's aero a few corners prior to his off, or Ron Dennis trying to play down the Alonso/Lewis rivalry last year?

ioan
7th April 2008, 16:37
I just heard about this on the BBC podcast.

Ioan,

that was speculation and typical paddock gossip and it's normal for post race debriefs to cover all angles. There may be some degree in truth because LH was racing midfield and subsequently there was a strong possibility of damaging the front wing prior to colliding with FA.

If his wing was broken already, which I think it wasn't the case, than he was already accounting for it.
I don't see why it should have broke just moments before he sticked it into the Renault.
And even IF that would have happened I don't see why he would suddenly accelerate like a rocket because of that.
Don't forget they are talking about the bridge element and not about the common front wing elements! The bridge element has a role of channeling the air towards the rest of the car, not to work as a aerodynamic brake.

maxu05
7th April 2008, 16:55
British Mass Media is pathetic :s hock: Please, say it isn't true. I will be hiding under my bed until it all goes back to normal :D

wedge
7th April 2008, 16:55
If his wing was broken already, which I think it wasn't the case, than he was already accounting for it.
I don't see why it should have broke just moments before he sticked it into the Renault.
And even IF that would have happened I don't see why he would suddenly accelerate like a rocket because of that.
Don't forget they are talking about the bridge element and not about the common front wing elements! The bridge element has a role of channeling the air towards the rest of the car, not to work as a aerodynamic brake.

It's only speculation and aero is a science. You can add more front wing and yet still gain understeer!

Tazio
7th April 2008, 17:39
Motorsport Forums > Racing > Formula 1
British mass media is pathetic

Who cares? They're not driving the cars. If you watched the race you saw (as best as anyone else that was viewing the feed) the things that happened.
Believe half of what you see,
and none of what you hear!

yodasarmpit
7th April 2008, 18:44
Just wait Ioan, typical of the British media they will turn on him when they get bored.

Dzeidzei
7th April 2008, 18:59
The British media has hailed Lewis until now, but when did it all come to brake into pieces? If you look at the last 5 races, he´s messed up 4 of those. Yes he did one the opening race of 08 but otherwise he has been... well, less than mediocre.

So what happened? And how long will it be until he´s doomed a failier? He already gets beaten by his teammate and doesnt seem to be able to handle it.

ioan
7th April 2008, 19:16
Just wait Ioan, typical of the British media they will turn on him when they get bored.

Yeah, something along the line Button got.

Worst part is that they push them way too high before letting them fall.

truefan72
7th April 2008, 19:41
every country's media is a bit biased toward their own drivers

what's then news here?

if you don't like what you hear on BBC then switch to another channel like RAI2 where you can here them laude Ferrari to kingdom come. or SAT1 where german drivers and cars recieve praise, or Brazilian Tv where massa and RB are folk heroes, or Finnish TV where KR, ,HK and Nico Rosberg are spoken about in glowing terms, or Japanese Tv and their coverage of all things Honda and Toyota, and Super Aguri, or Austrian TV and their analysis of Red Bull and Torro Rosso, Or Indian TV and their coverage of Force India. French tV and Renault, etc

British press cover the british angle which is of most interest to their viewership. blaming them for their opinions when you can simply switch the channel or put it on mute is a futile pursuit.

ioan
7th April 2008, 20:07

what's then news here?

if you don't like what you hear on BBC then switch to another channel like RAI2 where you can here them laude Ferrari to kingdom come. or SAT1 where german drivers and cars recieve praise, or Brazilian Tv where massa and RB are folk heroes, or Finnish TV where KR, ,HK and Nico Rosberg are spoken about in glowing terms, or Japanese Tv and their coverage of all things Honda and Toyota, and Super Aguri, or Austrian TV and their analysis of Red Bull and Torro Rosso, Or Indian TV and their coverage of Force India. French tV and Renault, etc

British press cover the british angle which is of most interest to their viewership. blaming them for their opinions when you can simply switch the channel or put it on mute is a futile pursuit.

Other medias are from the level of bias of the British one.
If Ferrari does badly the Italian media isn't covering them up with excuses. German media isn't praising their drivers day and night either, and certainly are not finding excuses for them when the drivers themselves admit that they were at fault.

Now, why did you feel the need to attack other countries?! Gratuitos verbal violence based on nothing.

F1boat
7th April 2008, 21:57
I agree with Ioan. No other media is more pathetic than the British one. They have made Hamilton unpleasant to thousands of fans. You know, after Chinese GP, when he retired, all journalists cheered, except the British ones and it is because the constant praise of Hamilton. Which is worse, to me he seems to listen to them (comparing himself to Senna last year was disgusting and unpleasant).
And when you are reaching global fandom, as an English-speaking channel, you should try to be unbiased.

Mark
7th April 2008, 21:59
Perhaps because British press was being attacked? It is very far from being unbiased but you have to take it context with other countries which will also following their home interest. We have a strange attitude here somtimes that if on of ours is doing well then we must not praie them or in fact it is seen as a good thing to knock them down. Yet if they are a foreigner they are automtically the best ever....

AndyRAC
7th April 2008, 23:10
It's hardly a surprise though is it. There's nothing wrong with showing a healthy support for a home driver, but most of them are OTT. Personally, I remember after last years Monaco GP, when some papers seemed to turn against Fernando, after Lewis was 'robbed' of a certain victory. From then, they really upped the ante. I wonder how many are genuine F1/Motorsport fans - or as I suspect, a follower of another sport, thrown in to cover F1. The thing is, some make it more obvious that they know little about the sport.

Tazio
7th April 2008, 23:15
somtimes that if on of ours is doing well then we must not praie them or in fact it is seen as a good thing to knock them down. Yet if they are a foreigner they are automtically the best ever....
Do you mean like their ever-abiding love of Fred for instance?

I myself do not judge athletes or sporting competition by the view of journalists either individually or collectively!

I know a good effort when I see one!
Peoples reliance 0n "The Story" in sport can in my way of thinking only
serve two purposes 1: the reaction of those associated with the winners (Fans included in this group)
as to the details of the event, and it's celebration!
2: the purposeful sensationalizing embellishing, satirizing
Attacking, or, and this is the most egregious. Giving us information that has no relevance to the sport the athlete’s ability to perform his discipline or anything else regarding that athletes person family or non-sport related info.
I call everything in group # 2 "The Tabloid Aspect of Sport", and only appeals to those who can't appreciate the event or series of events for what they are!

Valve Bounce
7th April 2008, 23:16

ioan, it was a case of BS; fortunately it's cow manure so it doesn't stink too much. Get it?

Rollo
8th April 2008, 00:34
Other medias are from the level of bias of the British one.
If Ferrari does badly the Italian media isn't covering them up with excuses. German media isn't praising their drivers day and night either, and certainly are not finding excuses for them when the drivers themselves admit that they were at fault.

Now, why did you feel the need to attack other countries?! Gratuitos verbal violence based on nothing.

German media isn't praising drivers when they admit they were at fault? Can you think of an instance when a German driver actually admitted that something was their fault? De Sport Bild was positively glowing after the British GP of 2003 after Schumacher ran Alonso off the road, whilst El Pais virtually though war had been declared.

If Ferrari is doing badly La Gazetto Dello Sport will pull out the knives and accuse everyone and everything of blue murder, but when they are doing well and especially if they win either the Italian of San Marino GP will call for a national holiday.

The only surprise here is that you seem to think that British media is somehow different from the rest of Europe, of course there's going to be national bias and equally there'll be a national roasting if someone starts to fail.

The Sun has been accused of being jingoistic, racist and homophobic (and even to this day in Liverpool is hated for it's lies over Hillsborough). The Gaurdian is famouse for its frequent and sometimes unintentionally amusing typographical errors and even now the great and powerful BBC is under the microscope for back-handers in sponsorship and fake phone-in polls and competitions.

Planet F1 itself is part of the BSkyB network; hence a Murdoch company. Murdoch's media will do anything to sell newspapers, cable TV, etc and is basically amoral. To hold it up as a bastion of truth is like saying that Page 3 of The Sun or the News of the World are reputable news sources.

mstillhere
8th April 2008, 03:59

what's then news here?

I disagree with the RAI part. I can assure you that when somebody in Ferrari screws up they get regularly crucified. No exceptions. The Italian press is very harsh when the Ferrari's pilots don't win.

truefan72
8th April 2008, 04:59
I disagree with the RAI part. I can assure you that when somebody in Ferrari screws up they get regularly crucified. No exceptions. The Italian press is very harsh when the Ferrari's pilots don't win.

I agree, as does the britsih press turn into pirhanna's when their driver screw up. I beleive the headlines were quire unflattering to LH this weekend

good point and well taken

truefan72
8th April 2008, 05:19
German media isn't praising drivers when they admit they were at fault? Can you think of an instance when a German driver actually admitted that something was their fault? De Sport Bild was positively glowing after the British GP of 2003 after Schumacher ran Alonso off the road, whilst El Pais virtually though war had been declared.

If Ferrari is doing badly La Gazetto Dello Sport will pull out the knives and accuse everyone and everything of blue murder, but when they are doing well and especially if they win either the Italian of San Marino GP will call for a national holiday.

The only surprise here is that you seem to think that British media is somehow different from the rest of Europe, of course there's going to be national bias and equally there'll be a national roasting if someone starts to fail.

The Sun has been accused of being jingoistic, racist and homophobic (and even to this day in Liverpool is hated for it's lies over Hillsborough). The Gaurdian is famouse for its frequent and sometimes unintentionally amusing typographical errors and even now the great and powerful BBC is under the microscope for back-handers in sponsorship and fake phone-in polls and competitions.

Planet F1 itself is part of the BSkyB network; hence a Murdoch company. Murdoch's media will do anything to sell newspapers, cable TV, etc and is basically amoral. To hold it up as a bastion of truth is like saying that Page 3 of The Sun or the News of the World are reputable news sources.

excellent points

As to Ioan;

I'm not even british but having been born in Austria, growing up there, lived in Germany, London, Argentina, Australia, Cameroon, Japan, Switzerland, Italy, back to Austira and now in the US, as well as having the opportunity via satellite and cable to sample many other countries coverage of F1, I see the fervor of the British press, but I don't see it as anything different to other countries sentiments and attitudes based on their temperament.

German media as well as their press tend to be a bit more reserved, but in their own way were very clearly homers in many aspects. Austrian media are are much like the british, praise a driver when he is up, grill them when they are down and in some respects treat them worse than foreign drivers in terms of expectations and comments.

In Japan, the Media there was almost exclusively focused on their teams/engines/drivers with an overindulgence in minutia. While less critical than the british, they themselves were quite unbearable with their microscope coverage of things. More negative than positive most times and less entertaining.

I'm sure the Spanish press weren't the bastion of neutrality last year.
No one is!

As for the US, it varies from outlet to outlet in terms of coverage.
Watching US Olympic coverage is a cruel form of torture.
Try watching an NBA/NHL or MLB game from the local outlet, or listening to the Radio coverage of an NFL game and you'll get true homerism.

So I see the British press as just that, the British press. they have their own agenda and if one doesn't like it, simply switch it off Ioan.

I am absolutely not attacking other countries. Just pointing out their differences. Incidentally that may also be your issue if you feel my earlier comments were an "attack" on other countries.

Perhaps it is your perspective of matters that may have something to do with your outlook of things.

;)

ioan
8th April 2008, 08:52
I agree, as does the britsih press turn into pirhanna's when their driver screw up. I beleive the headlines were quire unflattering to LH this weekend

good point and well taken

I just gave an example when they are looking for idiotic and pathetic excuses while the driver acknowledges that he was at fault.

ioan
8th April 2008, 08:57
I see I touched the sensitive nerve of some British fans ( rollo for instance).

I pointed out an example of pathetic idiocy in the British press. Like it or not it will not go away.
But tell me why can't you stand criticism of your mass media when is well deserved?! Are you working for them or what?!

I'm sorry to see how some people resort to personal attacks, or how they start to throw with mud in other language medias when someone dares to point out that theirs are pathetic. :\
can't you take anything else but pathetic rear side kissing?! :rolleyes:

ioan
8th April 2008, 09:01
As to Ioan;

I'm not even british but having been born in Austria, growing up there, lived in Germany, London, Argentina, Australia, Cameroon, Japan, Switzerland, Italy, back to Austira and now in the US, as well as having the opportunity via satellite and cable to sample many other countries coverage of F1, I see the fervor of the British press, but I don't see it as anything different to other countries sentiments and attitudes based on their temperament.

German media as well as their press tend to be a bit more reserved, but in their own way were very clearly homers in many aspects. Austrian media are are much like the british, praise a driver when he is up, grill them when they are down and in some respects treat them worse than foreign drivers in terms of expectations and comments.

In Japan, the Media there was almost exclusively focused on their teams/engines/drivers with an overindulgence in minutia. While less critical than the british, they themselves were quite unbearable with their microscope coverage of things. More negative than positive most times and less entertaining.

I'm sure the Spanish press weren't the bastion of neutrality last year.
No one is!

As for the US, it varies from outlet to outlet in terms of coverage.
Watching US Olympic coverage is a cruel form of torture.
Try watching an NBA/NHL or MLB game from the local outlet, or listening to the Radio coverage of an NFL game and you'll get true homerism.

So I see the British press as just that, the British press. they have their own agenda and if one doesn't like it, simply switch it off Ioan.

I am absolutely not attacking other countries. Just pointing out their differences. Incidentally that may also be your issue if you feel my earlier comments were an "attack" on other countries.

Perhaps it is your perspective of matters that may have something to do with your outlook of things.

;)

I see where your point pretty well.
I did live in several countries to, all in Europe.
I do read daily several leading European news papers from different countries (thanks to the internet).

I'm not saying that other mass media is perfect. I was just pointing out how pathetic the Guardian was in this case. If you believe that it wasn't pathetic than it's your right to do so. But attacking the poster and other medias in order to protect the British media is just not the way to make a valid point.

janneppi
8th April 2008, 09:34
I'm sorry to see how some people resort to personal attacks:
Could you point out those personal attacks towards you in this thread?

BDunnell
8th April 2008, 10:24
ioan, if a Romanian driver ever comes to prominence in F1, you wait and see - the same thing will happen in the Romanian press.

Tazio
8th April 2008, 10:43
I read British online news, because it's far less contentious, adversarial, and sensational
when dealing with serious subject matter than the propaganda machine in my homeland

ioan
8th April 2008, 11:29
ioan, if a Romanian driver ever comes to prominence in F1, you wait and see - the same thing will happen in the Romanian press.

I do agree that they will hype him and write plenty of odes. However I posted this only because I found the Guardian article really pathetic.

ArrowsFA1
8th April 2008, 11:42
I posted this only because I found the Guardian article really pathetic.
Why is it pathetic though? This (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulaone2008/story/0,,2271703,00.html) is the Guardian article which says:
After the flurry of speculation that Alonso had perhaps "brake-tested" the McLaren driver had subsided, it became clear that Hamilton's nose wing had broken before he made contact with his former team-mate. Hamilton, though, was running too close to the Renault to have a chance of avoiding contact. "To be fair to Lewis it could have broken of its own accord, but that has never happened before so [previous] contact is the most likely cause," Whitmarsh said. "There's certainly no evidence that Fernando did anything wrong.
Where's the problem? The wing broke. Hamilton made an error and hit Alonso. No blame attached to Fernando.

I would agree with you that the British mass media can be, and frequently are, pathetic but I don't see that this is one of those cases.

Rollo
8th April 2008, 12:09
But tell me why can't you stand criticism of your mass media when is well deserved?! Are you working for them or what?!

Hmm... I do believe I called Murdoch's media group amoral.

Far from defending the press, I scalded it. Just what did you read of my post? I'm rather curious as to how anyone could find defence in there.

Robinho
8th April 2008, 12:48
so it seems that the story wasn't made up by the media, but a direct quote from Whitmarsh, which again didn't actually apportion blame to the broken wing (which was probably Lewis's fault anyway) but just adds to the story.

now, the British press sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, particularly if your referring to the red tops, which are basically a collection of sensationlist headlines, based on small truths, backed up with not a lot other than opinion.

i would not put the Guardian in the bracket with them, however for sport, and in particular F1 it is not one of the places i'd look for news, in fact i'd steer clear of most papers in general as F1 has long been too specialist for the mass market appeal of the press, although that is changing rapidally.

to lump all british press in under one blanket i think is rather unfair, their is some fantastic journalism out there, mostly in things like the Guardian, Independent, Times, Telegraph, and some real crap, mostly in the red tops and the ultra conservative Mail and Express.

this, i think is similar to mist countries, if your looking for informed opinion you know where to look. Finally, in this case (BTW the story is also reported on ITV-F1.com, but they're probably pathetic!) it looks like you are wring, and they were just reporting what Mclaren says happened - of course you are free to disbelive this version of events, and given McLarens recent history I wouldn't neccessarily blame you, but don't shoot the messenger.

as for the broken wing, it probably had little or nothing to do with the incident, although Hamilton probably would still have had to pit due to the damage regardless if his misjudgement of where the the corners of his car were.

Tazio
8th April 2008, 12:53
[quote="Robinho"]so it seems that the story wasn't made up by the media, but a direct quote from Whitmarsh, which again didn't actually apportion blame to the broken wing (which was probably Lewis's fault anyway) but just adds to the story.

now, the British press sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, particularly if your referring to the red tops, which are basically a collection of sensationlist headlines, based on small truths, backed up with not a lot other than opinion.

i would not put the Guardian in the bracket with them, however for sport, and in particular F1 it is not one of the places i'd look for news, in fact i'd steer clear of most papers in general as F1 has long been too specialist for the mass market appeal of the press, although that is changing rapidally.

to lump all british press in under one blanket i think is rather unfair, their is some fantastic journalism out there, mostly in things like the Guardian, Independent, Times, Telegraph, and some real crap, mostly in the red tops and the ultra conservative Mail and Express.

this, i think is similar to mist countries, if your looking for informed opinion you know where to look. Finally, in this case (BTW the story is also reported on ITV-F1.com, but they're probably pathetic!) it looks like you are wring, and they were just reporting what Mclaren says happened - of course you are free to disbelive this version of events, and given McLarens recent history I wouldn't neccessarily blame you, but don't shoot the messenger.

as for the broken wing, it probably had little or nothing to do with the incident, although Hamilton probably would still have had to pit due to the damage regardless if his misjudgement of where the the corners of his car were.[/QUOTE

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66487

BDunnell
8th April 2008, 13:25
I see I touched the sensitive nerve of some British fans ( rollo for instance).

I pointed out an example of pathetic idiocy in the British press. Like it or not it will not go away.

ioan, I am noticing a pattern. Someone defends something against your criticism, and you respond with something like 'Do you work for them?!' or 'Are you Scottish?!' Personally, I would allow people to have and express their opinions without suggesting every time, jokingly or not, that there is some ulterior motive.

Dzeidzei
9th April 2008, 23:00
ioan, I am noticing a pattern. Someone defends something against your criticism, and you respond with something like 'Do you work for them?!' or 'Are you Scottish?!' Personally, I would allow people to have and express their opinions without suggesting every time, jokingly or not, that there is some ulterior motive.

BD, your wish is a nice one and very desirable. It is also plain impossible, since its against the rules. Which are: 1. there are false and wrongful opinions. 2. every opinion that doesnt support your driver/team is crooked. 3. if my driver makes a mistake theres always a logical condition to be found which clears my driver of any mistakes. 4. if my driver gets beaten by his teammate thats because of tyre wear, wind on back straight, backmarkers not seeing the blue flags, the bag lady I saw last Saturday, etc. Never is my driver slower because he´s slower. Never.

The list of rules goes on and on. And then theres the iternal generalisation. Finns drink. All the time. Germans have no sense of humor, so you wont get this.

Right? :)

PS. There are no absolutes. A good understanding of something thats happened might rise from synthesis of contradicting views. But appreciating contradicting views is something that doesnt belong here. A shame really.

Zico
9th April 2008, 23:24
BD, your wish is a nice one and very desirable. It is also plain impossible, since its against the rules. Which are: 1. there are false and wrongful opinions. 2. every opinion that doesnt support your driver/team is crooked. 3. if my driver makes a mistake theres always a logical condition to be found which clears my driver of any mistakes. 4. if my driver gets beaten by his teammate thats because of tyre wear, wind on back straight, backmarkers not seeing the blue flags, the bag lady I saw last Saturday, etc. Never is my driver slower because he´s slower. Never.

The list of rules goes on and on. And then theres the iternal generalisation. Finns drink. All the time. Germans have no sense of humor, so you wont get this.

Right? :)

PS. There are no absolutes. A good understanding of something thats happened might rise from synthesis of contradicting views. But appreciating contradicting views is something that doesnt belong here. A shame really.

:laugh: Thats all too true !

Hawkmoon
10th April 2008, 04:29
I think that perhaps ioan is critical of the British press in this instance because they can't seem to admit that Hamilton simply ****ed up. You can understand McLaren trying to say it was a mechanical failure, just as Ferrari did in Malaysia when Massa went rallying. That's what F1 teams do. Most of them can't lie straight in bed. The press should be more circumspect, no?

That's not a trait unique to the British press, however.

jso1985
10th April 2008, 04:41
here we have a say "mal de otros, consuelo de tontos" which can be roughly translated as "other's wrongdoings, relief of the dumb"

certainly other mass media in other countries can be pathetic too(Bolivian one when it comes to local footballers playing abroad for example) but I don't see why it needs to be pointed out just to try to make the British press look like they did nothing stupid

Tomi
10th April 2008, 07:15
or Finnish TV where KR, ,HK and Nico Rosberg are spoken about in glowing terms

Are they? I would say the press and TV know their things and are walking on the ground here.

jas123f1
10th April 2008, 11:27
I think ioan has a point there when saying that English media has a tendency "push them way too high before letting them fall". Lewis is still very young and when British media are pushing him to the seventh sky there is a big risk that he doesn’t stand up with the press they are putting on him. I think the team has a big responsibility to protect him and don’t let him speak too much b*** s**** to the media. Lewis has almost made a promise that he will be the champ this year and that’s mostly depending on that the English media is pressing him all the time and the team doesn’t take care of their driver as they should do. BUT - I think the Italian press is even worse if everything doesn’t go well for Ferrari, but Ferrari protects their drivers in right way. Looking to Bahrain - now when Massa hade made his two races with zero as result – the team make everything right for him, they speak with him seriously, protect him for the Italian press and whole team was behind him in Bahrain (I suspect even Kimi). It was very important to Massa (and also to the team I think) to win this race, to stop all speculations in the Italian press.. It will be interesting to see how McLaren will handle the situation this year to keep the team together – however last year was a catastrophe …

Garry Walker
10th April 2008, 11:37
I think ioan has a point there when saying that English media has a tendency "push them way too high before letting them fall". Lewis is still very young and when British media are pushing him to the seventh sky there is a big risk that he doesn’t stand up with the press they are putting on him. I think the team has a big responsibility to protect him and don’t let him speak too much b*** s**** to the media. Lewis has almost made a promise that he will be the champ this year and that’s mostly depending on that the English media is pressing him all the time and the team doesn’t take care of their driver as they should do. B

Yes. Lewis has been hyped so much, that I suspect he himself has started to believe he really is better than Senna or Prost (as that stupid retard peter windsor claimed after 4 races last year). The problem with such hype is that now there is a lot of pressure on him and he already showed last year and also in GP2 that pressure is something he doesn`t deal well with at times.

Even worse for him is that Kovalainen according to what I have heard, at bahrain, was fuel accounted for, again faster in qualifying than LH.

ArrowsFA1
10th April 2008, 11:48
As Hamilton himself has said "...it was inevitable that this was going to happen eventually. I've had such a good run already in F1, and this is all part of it."

AndyRAC
10th April 2008, 12:03
I’m no fan of the British media, but the only good thing Lewis has brought is more coverage for the sport. Before that the coverage had lessened, and the reports were smaller. Personally, it shouldn’t matter whether there is a British driver at the front or not – the coverage should be the same. It would be nice if there was more in –depth reporting – strategy, etc

jas123f1
10th April 2008, 15:05
Even worse for him is that Kovalainen according to what I have heard, at bahrain, was fuel accounted for, again faster in qualifying than LH.

Sure, and that can make it even more difficult to keep a good relationship between drivers - if Kovalainen get a better results in the near future. It’s now the Ron D must show if he is a man for his trousers – however i’m a bit thoughtful when looking back to last season.

markabilly
10th April 2008, 15:58
Yes. ......................(as that stupid retard peter windsor claimed after 4 races last year).................... LH.
You forgot pompous :D

F1boat
10th April 2008, 17:32
Sure, and that can make it even more difficult to keep a good relationship between drivers - if Kovalainen get a better results in the near future. It’s now the Ron D must show if he is a man for his trousers – however i’m a bit thoughtful when looking back to last season.

There is one difference, though. Alonso, I think, must feel at home, if he is to win races. In Renault he is the favorite. In McLaren he is another driver.
Kovalainen IMO is a Finn and not so easily impressed by the fact that McLaren love Lewis. IMO he won't care as much as Alonso and may make Hamilton's life harder.

Tazio
10th April 2008, 19:01
BTW--Lewis Hamilton-mania appears to have taken a back seat to commercial reality, with reports that the former championship leader's official biography is now in book stores' bargain bins. :beer:

It emerged last year that, not six months into his formula one career, the publishing house HarperCollins had paid at least $2m upfront for the rights to the McLaren driver's life so far. :beer:

But after 'Lewis Hamilton: My Story' was issued in November for about $40, it now emerges that copies are being sold for about $2. :beer:

The British tabloid Daily Star reveals that branches of Home Bargains, an English discount store chain, is desperate to offload its stockpile of 50,000 copies. :beer:
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=81134&newlang=&topic=8&catid=0

jjanicke
11th April 2008, 05:12
Funny thing is Ioan was one of the Tifosi to believe Massa's Malaysia mishaps was not Massa's fault, but some failure of the car.

Now this!! LOL. Cracks me up. Another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, the race I watched clearly shows Lewis in the wrong. Ron was right, Lewis misjudged and was fully to blame.

ioan
11th April 2008, 12:37
Funny thing is Ioan was one of the Tifosi to believe Massa's Malaysia mishaps was not Massa's fault, but some failure of the car.

Funny thing is I never said that! :rolleyes:
I might be wrong but I don't remember ever saying that.
So please do post a link to my post stating what you are implying that I said.

markabilly
11th April 2008, 17:15
BTW--Lewis Hamilton-mania appears to have taken a back seat to commercial reality, with reports that the former championship leader's official biography is now in book stores' bargain bins. :beer:

It emerged last year that, not six months into his formula one career, the publishing house HarperCollins had paid at least $2m upfront for the rights to the McLaren driver's life so far. :beer:

But after 'Lewis Hamilton: My Story' was issued in November for about $40, it now emerges that copies are being sold for about $2.

The British tabloid Daily Star reveals that branches of Home Bargains, an English discount store chain, is desperate to offload its stockpile of 50,000 copies. :beer:
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=81134&newlang=&topic=8&catid=0

The price of kool aid at Starbucks in Uk is now down 35%..... :beer:

woody2goody
11th April 2008, 18:25

But after 'Lewis Hamilton: My Story' was issued in November for about $40, it now emerges that copies are being sold for about $2. :beer:

I saw them in there for a pound the other day lol.

OH YEAH!!!

Tazio
11th April 2008, 23:41
"He won't stop being black but it will stop being a novelty.

"And he'll find that some of the column inches,
maybe even this season, are totally negative and totally incorrect.

"That's not easy to deal with." :confused:

Prepare yourself for mass hysteria!
:rotflmao:
Soon the Department of Health will be giving away seringes,
as many disenchanted fans will resort to "slamming" Kool Aide ;)

BDunnell
11th April 2008, 23:49

This happens with so many celebrity biographies/autobiographies. Booksellers buy in far too many copies, completely overestimating interest levels amongst the buying public, and the books end up being remaindered after a while.

Of course, bringing anything out at this stage of someone's career is ridiculous, though you can hardly blame publishers for wanting to make as much money as possible by turning out tat. After all, there aren't laws against it, and it is amazing what you can sell to people.

Tazio
12th April 2008, 00:01
This happens with so many celebrity biographies/autobiographies. Booksellers buy in far too many copies, completely overestimating interest levels amongst the buying public, and the books end up being remaindered after a while.

Of course, bringing anything out at this stage of someone's career is ridiculous, though you can hardly blame publishers for wanting to make as much money as possible by turning out tat. After all, there aren't laws against it, and it is amazing what you can sell to people.
I'm glad to see the free enterprise system
is as healthy in the UK, as it is in the US! ;)

markabilly
12th April 2008, 00:04

Unfortunately having skimmed through one copy at the book shop, for the true F1 fan that reads up on the stuff, they would find it very boring. For the non-fan or not too familiar fan, they would find it also a bit boring, I would think. Too many empty pages without much on them is one thing.

And no sex to get the public interested....opps there i go again,.....

CNR
19th April 2008, 00:20
what news is this why would this make the news

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1061832.ece

IT’S not often LEWIS HAMILTON misses out on pole position.
But the Formula 1 ace was stuck on the second row of the grid when he popped into Borders book store in Oxford on Thursday.
The racer made a pit stop from his glamourous globe-trotting day job to pick up some reading material.
Reading? Surely there are supermodels, yachts, fast cars, motorbikes and golf courses to explore?

ShiftingGears
19th April 2008, 01:19

Well...I think the thread title answers your question ;)

janneppi
19th April 2008, 08:12

It only makes into news because enough people seem to read stuff like this, and you even linked it into the forums when it has nothing to do with f1. ;)

Osella
19th April 2008, 12:01
Which is why having more coverage of 'F1' is not neccessarily always a good thing...!

Dave B
19th April 2008, 13:01
It's in The Sun, so cannot be relied upon to be either accurate or news.