PDA

View Full Version : What series is the German Touring Car Championship?

FIA
7th April 2008, 15:24
What series is the German Touring Car Championship?

DTM or ADAC Procar Series?

Because DTM stands for German Touring Car Masters, but it is more like a second World Touring Car Championship (or European), as they go to many more countries other than Germany (once out of Europe) and have a lot of Non-German Drivers.

mac853
7th April 2008, 17:14
When they called it "GTC", means the highest, surely is DTM.
Procar or former DTC, C means for challenge, the lowered level.
But don't care about what nation of drivers or tracks in the championship, because both of series have no restriction about it.
Anyway don't understimate with this Procar, in the case of 1st division of this year, instead of 3-4 BMWs(mostly of Team Engstler and Autodom), 2 Honda, 2 Toyota there will also debut the EX-STCC's MB C200 by Thate motorsport. You could take a look on the car here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6kNTUdEdC0

LiamM
7th April 2008, 17:58
If your looking to call one of the 'GTCC' then probably the ADAC Procar Series is the one you want. DTM is a bit more F1 like with the amount of technology in the cars

Mighty
7th April 2008, 18:33
If you look to the German Motorsport Association (DMSB) both series has no real "Championship" status, but ADAC Procar here in Germany is understand as Championship ;-)
DTM in my opinion is no "real" Touring Car, it is more prototype racecar with touring car silhoutte.

mac853
8th April 2008, 00:01
Wait, isn't "FIA" wants only to confirm what is mean "GTCC" when always is mentioned by the media? :confused:
If think even Silhouette or saloon car race is not surely what does he care about it, isn't it?
Undoubtly for everyone in the forum "pure" Touring car race in Germany is Procar. ;)

racer69
8th April 2008, 16:52
From 1984-1996 DTM stood Deitche Tourenwagon Meistershaft....in English that is German Touring Car Championship (or GTCC)

From 2000 until now in the new-DTM, it stands for Deutche Tourenwagon Masters, in English meaning German Touring Car Masters.

LiamM
8th April 2008, 17:36
Isn't the old GTCC now WTCC

After DTM it became the ITC, then the ETCC and finally the WTCC if im not mistaken?

Marc W
8th April 2008, 21:05
No the Modern era ETCC which is now the WTCC came from the Italian Touring car championship.

Iain
8th April 2008, 21:16
The German STW Cup and Italian Superturismo combined for what was called the European Super Touring Championship for 2000 and 2001. There was also a European Super Production Championship back then. That merged with the ST series and we had the first ETCC for a good few years.

Jimmy Magnusson
9th April 2008, 09:58
The STW + Superturismo marrige wasn't much of a combined series though. Rather the STW dieing and Superturismo picking up a couple of cars and tracks (about 1-2 each) and rebranding itself ESTC. From the STW runners I only remember Symanczik in the Opel, Mayer in the Audi and the slovakian Audi driver whose name I cannot remember right now. Also, the STW, which started before DTM died, was a seperate series from the DTM, just as the two DTM's doesn't really have anything to do with each other.

mac853
12th May 2008, 19:12
Well, i have aprecciated to tell everybody the Procar started this week.
But with lack of cars in Div.1 which will make this season a little boring. :(
Hope could be better, with more Div.1 cars after the few rounds.
The most historical moment was the first time a MB car could go to podium in the race under S2000 spec by Jens, congratulations. :D
Nor the previous car owner Johansson could make as good as himself, off course the race level of 2 countries are not the same.
The most interesting 1 will be the next round on the longest 24H track of Nurburgring, we have to see how many cars could finish on this most tough race of all season, could be fun. :cool:
Here are some sites, enjoy:
http://www.adac-procar.de/default.aspx
http://www.racingtv.de/index.php?mnu=1045

woody2goody
13th May 2008, 00:30
They've stuck so many aerodynamic bits onto the DTM cars now that it's almost impossible to overtake.

Ralf Schumacher said in Autosport that even coming from F1 he finds it difficult.

they should go back to how it was 5 years ago with less aero OR make it into a legitimate touring car championship. I'm sure those drivers would still want to take part with slower cars.

racer69
13th May 2008, 06:50
The STW + Superturismo marrige wasn't much of a combined series though. Rather the STW dieing and Superturismo picking up a couple of cars and tracks (about 1-2 each) and rebranding itself ESTC. From the STW runners I only remember Symanczik in the Opel, Mayer in the Audi and the slovakian Audi driver whose name I cannot remember right now.

The JAS Honda team from the STW Cup moved to the ESTC as well didn't they in 2000, with Peter Kox?

Jimmy Magnusson
13th May 2008, 11:41
The JAS Honda team from the STW Cup moved to the ESTC as well didn't they in 2000, with Peter Kox?

Darn, of course they did! They're an Italian team so that's why I didn't think about them...

F1boat
14th May 2008, 19:20
Wow, I am ignorant, I didn't know that there is another German Touring Cars series. Aren't they hurting each other in terms of popularity, like the IRL and the CCWS in the USA?