PDA

View Full Version : Spectating at Silverstone

Viktory
5th April 2008, 18:33
Sorry for being a bit early with this but I want to get it sorted out :)
I'm going to see the Silverstone GP this year! second time I see a grand prix (last one was 8 years ago at Silverstone, those car parks were lovely that year)
I was too young then to remeber how tickets work. My dad has bought 5 general admission tickets for the 5 of us going (the ones for £95 I think, bought some time ago). Well I looked at the Silverstone map and I see all the grandstand and also terraces, that have their own specific tickets. With the general admission tickets, will we not be able to get onto these banks? and if so, are there other areas that you can get a good view of the action?
Also where would be the best place to spectate with the general admission tickets, and when is a good time to arrive at the track for race day?
Loads of questions... appreciate any help :up:

hmmm - donuts
5th April 2008, 19:18
General admission gets you on the banking and also, I believe, the terraces at Woodcote and Pit Straight / Copse (although I think that might have changed in recent years. Personally I would go for Becketts/Maggotts where the F1 cars are really at their most impressive.

Also if you're there on EARLY Saturday a.m. go for the bus tour of the circuit (if they still do it). Gives you a good view of the whole circuit.

Enjoy.

6th April 2008, 10:04
Sorry for being a bit early with this but I want to get it sorted out :)
I'm going to see the Silverstone GP this year! second time I see a grand prix (last one was 8 years ago at Silverstone, those car parks were lovely that year)
I was too young then to remeber how tickets work. My dad has bought 5 general admission tickets for the 5 of us going (the ones for £95 I think, bought some time ago). Well I looked at the Silverstone map and I see all the grandstand and also terraces, that have their own specific tickets. With the general admission tickets, will we not be able to get onto these banks? and if so, are there other areas that you can get a good view of the action?
Also where would be the best place to spectate with the general admission tickets, and when is a good time to arrive at the track for race day?
Loads of questions... appreciate any help :up:

My suggestion is don't go to Silverstone but spend the same amount of money going to Monza.

Cheap flight to Bergamo (£25), B&B (£45), General Admission (£25).

Cost of taking in the atmosphere - Priceless!

GridGirl
6th April 2008, 11:29
Hmmm my trip to Monza was alot more expensive than £95 and the facilities were alot more dire than Silverstone. Only the second worst cicuit to I've been to after Spa but that was before Spa got its recent revamp. I didn't think much to the atmosphere either and the ticket touts were extremely annoying. Each to their own I guess.

Silverstone have recently released new General Admission tickets for Luffield, Copse and the Pit Straight so you will have no chance of viewing at those areas on race day the very least. If you bought your tickets a while ago they won't be for those specific areas and spectator marshalls will be on duty checking that you have the correct type of General Addmission ticket to get into those areas.

You will need to be in the queue to get in by atleast 4.30 if you want a grab a decent view when the gates open at 5.00am. I would suggest that if you know where you are going to sit on race day you should enter at the closest gates otherwise by the time you walk to where you want to sit it will be full. If you've got three day tickets you've got plenty of time to work out where you want to sit on the Fiday or Saturday. Friday is always the best to walk round the track and view from lots of different places.

wedge
6th April 2008, 15:05
I'd go for somewhere between Copse, Vale and Club. Adequately banked spectator viewing because you can see nearly half the lap.

The rest is flat and/or featureless and you won't see much.

Viktory
7th April 2008, 20:35
Thanks for the help! That's going to an early Sunday :p