PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying changes....

gloomyDAY
5th April 2008, 05:49
What? (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66352)

Someones needs to draw me a diagram.
This is becoming difficult to follow.

Tazio
5th April 2008, 06:12
I guess you could star here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_car
I don't share your zeal for the truth at the moment!
Good Hunting!
BTW I just got an email that shows a stash of alfa lotus lacia
vintage formula mercedes Bmw and etc worth over $35million
I don't know how to configure it into a simple link. But if you want to check out this
awsome find pm me an email address
It's a real mind blower!

Ranger
5th April 2008, 06:17
What? (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66352)

Someones needs to draw me a diagram.
This is becoming difficult to follow.

For this circuit, they've designated a time of 1:39 (probably estimated on something like 110% of pole time). Should cars exceed that maximum lap time (which doesn't include the time in the pits) then they get penalised.

It's a stupid rule and it'll be a pain in the arse to enforce because its not based on sector times, but that's the band-aid solution they've created.

wmcot
5th April 2008, 06:48
For this circuit, they've designated a time of 1:39 (probably estimated on something like 110% of pole time). Should cars exceed that maximum lap time (which doesn't include the time in the pits) then they get penalised.

It's a stupid rule and it'll be a pain in the arse to enforce because its not based on sector times, but that's the band-aid solution they've created.

Setting the 1:39 limit for Bahrain is all well and good, but what if a car has mechanical difficulties? Will it still be required to beat 1:39? Would you penalize a 1:39.001?

Tazio
5th April 2008, 07:02
Setting the 1:39 limit for Bahrain is all well and good, but what if a car has mechanical difficulties? Will it still be required to beat 1:39? Would you penalize a 1:39.001?The rule apears to really suck! And your right ,because if they allow CW to arbitrate. What's going to stop other drivers from pushing the mechanical problem button on the way in :p :

ShiftingGears
5th April 2008, 07:32
Setting the 1:39 limit for Bahrain is all well and good, but what if a car has mechanical difficulties?
I suppose thats a loophole of making rules without thinking!

Will it still be required to beat 1:39? Would you penalize a 1:39.001?

I cannot see them not penalising that.

gloomyDAY
5th April 2008, 08:40
Well, to be honest, I understood the changes first time around.

Just thought I was missing something because I thought the officials were being facetious.
This is going to be a silly and short-lived rule!

tinchote
6th April 2008, 01:54
We had a very nice qualy system until 03. That's when the high-level stupidity started :mad: And now, six seasons later, the almost continual changes (did we have two consecutive seasons with the same qualy rules?) show how stupid the current rules are.

ioan
6th April 2008, 09:58
We had a very nice qualy system until 03. That's when the high-level stupidity started :mad: And now, six seasons later, the almost continual changes (did we have two consecutive seasons with the same qualy rules?) show how stupid the current rules are.

And all this in the name of the show (i.e. more money for Bernie)! I sometimes wonder if Bernie follows F1 races at all or just counts the money at the end. :\

Tazio
6th April 2008, 10:36
And all this in the name of the show (i.e. more money for Bernie)! I sometimes wonder if Bernie follows F1 races at all or just counts the money at the end. :\ I am continually amazed at how little Bernie cares for the propriety of rules, insurance of honest competition, respect for the followers that without whom his enterprise would cease to exist. But most of all (and this might be just that being in my middle age and remember when Television wasn't as big an influence in people’s lives. Growing up in Southern Ca. until about 1970 there were only three TV stations plus one Spanish speaking station.) The athletes back then were more interested in getting credit for competitive achievements, having fun "giving the press stories", and less interested in Image management. They were allowed to be who they were. If the word was that so, and so was an @$$hole it was probably true. Bernie seems to be obsessed with doing everything he can to project a driver or team in a way that puts more money in his pockets at the expense of completely disrespecting the sanctity, and fair play of the sport!

Ranger
6th April 2008, 10:37
And all this in the name of the show (i.e. more money for Bernie)! I sometimes wonder if Bernie follows F1 races at all or just counts the money at the end. :\

Bernie didn't make these rules.

Besides, all is good until the Q3 fuel rubbish which seems to get worse every year.

Knock-on
6th April 2008, 11:23
I cannot see a problem?

If I understand this correct, it is what I proposed after the last cock-up. All they are saying is that drivers have to drive around at a reasonable pace on the grounds of safety.

I can't see anyone stopping out on track on purpose. They would want to get back and get the fans on the engine rather than risk incurring the wrath of the FIA by playing silly buggers :)

Tazio
6th April 2008, 11:40
It's an improvement. I'd still like to see the car that turns the fastest lap be on pole!

tinchote
6th April 2008, 21:59
It's an improvement. I'd still like to see the car that turns the fastest lap be on pole!

Not gonna happen. Qualifying with race fuel, engines that have to last two races and gearboxes four... Fangio would puke.

But it has a good side, though: I used to wake up in the wee hours about 16 Saturdays and Sundays a year. Now it's not even 16 Sundays. My sleeping health is a lot better :D

jso1985
7th April 2008, 00:32
. What's going to stop other drivers from pushing the mechanical problem button on the way in :p :

That would mean the driver starting at the back of the grid due breaking the parc fermé rules ;)

I actually don't think the new changes on qualy are bad or difficult to enforce.
The whole qualy system sucks though