PDA

View Full Version : NHRA mechanic salaries?

backbone1
2nd April 2008, 16:36
Does anyone have accurate information on the average yearly salary that a NHRA "entry level" mechanic can expect to earn while working for one of the leading Funny Car / Top Fuel teams?

airshifter
2nd April 2008, 20:58
It's probably non existant information.

Someone who gets into the top teams with a technical job is very rarely in an entry level position within the sport. Often those guys are chosen for specific strengths already proven with teams that have a lot less funding and thus probably pay less.

backbone1
4th April 2008, 23:37
Thanks Air,

You've made some valid points, so I think I follow where you're coming from. If I mis-spoke and referred to the position as "entry level mechanic" and that title / position doesn't exist, no problem, my error.

However, within every successful organization, there is either a "pecking order", seniority ranking, or title of some sort, etc... that does / would establish a particular level of employment.

So to clarify my question to everyone, if working for a top ten team, on average, how much does the lowest level NHRA Top Fuel / Funny Car mechanic earn? You know, someone that is qualified to turn a wrench, maybe help with dis-assembly etc., but of course, definitely wouldn't play as vital a role as say,... the clutch expert, etc. What is the lowest level team member with a title of "mechanic" and what does he / she do?

How about the clean-cut, mid-twenties, "gopher" type individual that hovers around sweeping the floors, cleaning cars / helmets, or spraying armor-all on the transporters tires? It seems there are plenty of young guys that meet that description hanging around inside the ropes in the pit areas.

Just so you know, this is only for self education. On the way home from the "Gators" a couple weeks ago, five of us were discussing the current salaries in NASCAR, i.e. we personally know a current driver from our hometown, another guy is related to a "spotter", etc. As the discussion turned into a disagreement, my position was that I'm sure they (lower ranking) "NHRA mechanics" are paid fairly well, but I'd be surprised if it's that close to what NASCAR teams pay someone with a similar skill-set,... but that's a whole other discussion.

Sorry for the length.

airshifter
5th April 2008, 23:53
Backbone,

I wasn't trying to split hairs, just unsure of exactly what you were looking for. I would venture to guess that there are entry level people in the NHRA ranks that get paid very little. Often it's similar to an apprenticeship type situation, where people in the lower ranks are working on the cheap in hopes of making it to the higher ranks and better pay.

I would actually think the same is true in NASCAR as well, at least at the lower levels. Until the teams hit the big time with major sponsors and such things, running the cars on the team budgets isn't an easy thing to do.

I did signs and graphics for years, and teams were always looking for a sign shop as a sponsor. That was to ensure they could get graphics and paint work done cheap, so they could give all the sponsors spots on the car and show them a return in advertising. Though I never did any work for the real high dollar teams, I saw a lot of them struggling to juggle money and put everything together. I remember one time I was doing a quick repair job on a funny car body, while several of the mechanics were thrashing at motors in the trailer. This took place in a hotel parking lot, as the team had about another 400 miles to cover that evening.

backbone1
6th April 2008, 01:49
Thanks for the reply Air.

As you implied in your first response, evidently this information isn't readily available because I've tried multiple sites and forums with no luck.

See ya around.

Azumanga Davo
15th April 2008, 12:58
It's a mere voluntary thing over here in Australia, unless you happen to be with someone who makes a living in Group 1 racing i.e. Top Fuel, Alcohol or Doorslammers.

NHRA would have more paid mechanics, but I can't see the sportsman side of things being any different.