PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe releases Tracy

gofastandwynn
2nd April 2008, 16:35
Per Robin Miller

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/robin-millers-open-wheel-notebook/

Paul Tracy is still willing to drive for Gerry Forsythe in this month’s Champ Car finale at Long Beach but his No.1 priority is finding a full-time ride in the Indy Racing League.

“According to my legal advice, Gerry has terminated the contract I had so that makes me a free agent,” said Tracy on Tuesday night. “I’m more than willing to drive at Long Beach for him and I told the team that but they haven’t confirmed it yet.

“I know this, I don’t want to watch any more races on television, I want to be in them.”

Neil Mickelwright, team manager for Forsythe Racing, was called to comment on Tracy’s status but did not respond. Mexico’s David Martinez was named to drive for Forsythe earlier this week.

The colorful 39-year-old veteran was put in the trick bag, so to speak, by Forsythe when the co-owner of Champ Car announced he would not be competing in the 19-race, unified, open wheel series.

That left Tracy with a couple options: run only one race in 2008 (Long Beach) to collect his $2 million salary or walk away from his guaranteed money and try to make a deal in the IRL.

But, considering the unstable nature of Champ Car the past few years, it’s believed many drivers have a clause in their contract to protect them. In other words, a ride would be guaranteed in whatever open wheel series answered the bell.

Tracy met wih Forsythe in late December and was assured the team was gung ho about ‘08 – in Champ Car.

“I was hoping Gerry would run in the unified series, but obviously it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen,” said the 2003 CART champion.

So now the man with 261 Champ Car starts is scrambling to find a sponsor and a ride for a series that plans on running in Edmonton and possibly Toronto in 2009 currently without the popular Canadian driver.

“We met with Monster Energy Drink last week and gave them a proposal with a budget, so it’s on their table,” said Tracy of the company he signed a personal services contract with last year. “They’re trying to see what they might be able to do (in the IRL) but it’s
difficult because they’re already in the second quarter of their budget.

“But they seem to like me so I’m hoping for the best.”

In his one and only IRL start, P.T. was placed second in the controversial 2002 Indianapolis 500 which he lost his appeal that he passed Helio Castroneves before the final yellow light came on.

“I definitely want to run Indy again and I’d like to run at least one race before May but I’m running out of time,” he said.

Originally, the most quotable man in open-wheel racing said he only wanted to run for one of the top three teams (Andretti-Green, Target-Ganassi or old boss Roger Penske) but he understands the reality of the situation.

“That’s probably not going to happen, unless Monster came on board, but I’m open to run for any team with a budget to run a competitive car,” said Tracy, who has had conversations with Tony George about joining his Vision Racing team.

“I know I can still go quick and I want to be part of this unified series.”

bblocker68
2nd April 2008, 17:04
Thank God he's getting let go.

For me, he was the one thing that was blatantly missing from Saturday's race.

Now let's get him in a car!

jimispeed
2nd April 2008, 17:05
PT and RD start a team together??

It would be great.

Probably too late for that.........

garyshell
2nd April 2008, 17:07
Per Robin Miller

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/robin-millers-open-wheel-notebook/

Great news. I hope Paul gets something together ASAP. Now this all REALLY begs the question: why the hell did it take GF so freakin' long to release Paul? What a jerk. I used to have a lot of respect for him, but now this crap is just unconscionable.

Gary

JasonD
2nd April 2008, 17:23
Could my prediction of PT signing with Penske now come true?? HAHA I totally doubt it.

It is GREAT but lets face it GF's only letting PT go new because he knows his chances are screwed for a full time ride this season.

Bravo GF you are quite the man arent you.

I see PT heading to KV or maybe he and the former members of NHL will get together at NHL.

Chamoo
2nd April 2008, 18:46
What about PT to RLR racing? They have the ability to go fast and they have room to run a second car, as long as they have the money.

indycool
2nd April 2008, 21:35
I agree with Gary. Other than grudgingly signing off on "blendification," Forsythe has control-freaked against everything without a single pitchfork in his wagon and generally tried to screw things up.

Chamoo
2nd April 2008, 21:40
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this.

indycool
2nd April 2008, 21:42
I am, too, but I've seen it discussed more at other fora.

!!WALDO!!
2nd April 2008, 21:43
I agree with Gary. Other than grudgingly signing off on "blendification," Forsythe has control-freaked against everything without a single pitchfork in his wagon and generally tried to screw things up.

I am wondering if he is going to screw up Long Beach and when the show comes up short, we leaves the losses to Kalkhoven and George and says sue me for money.
He is playing some game to get back some of his money, damn if I can figure it out.

Osiris333
2nd April 2008, 22:22
GF **** for doing this to PT :vader: but at least he's free and clear now. Maybe a second car at Rahal or a third at NHL. Either would be sweet.

Think I'll write Monster a letter and tell them to fork over the cash!

garyshell
2nd April 2008, 22:37
GF **** for doing this to PT :vader: but at least he's free and clear now. Maybe a second car at Rahal or a third at NHL. Either would be sweet.

Think I'll write Monster a letter and tell them to fork over the cash!

I think a letter writing or email campaign to David Letterman is in order. He always seemed to like PT.

Gary

tbyars
2nd April 2008, 23:11
We met with Monster Energy Drink last week and gave them a proposal with a budget, so it’s on their table,” said Tracy of the company he signed a personal services contract with last year. “They’re trying to see what they might be able to do (in the IRL) but it’s
difficult because they’re already in the second quarter of their budget.

Maybe it's just me, but when I conger up the vision of Paul Tracy sitting down and meeting with a potential sponsor versus Gerry Forsythe doing the same, I just imagine PT winning that negotiation about 99 out of 100 times. I'm not a huge PT fan, but I can see him sitting down and selling the advantages of picking up his sponsorship and the benefits of doing so, complete with the supporting information he needs. I kind of imagine GF walking into the room and saying "I need you to sponsor my race team," and when the sponsor asks him why, GF responding "well, if you're too dumb to not see why, then I don't WANT your sponsorship dollars!"

Indy500'79
2nd April 2008, 23:15
I predict Monster will sponsor Paul at Indy for at least a one-off. Outside of the big 3 teams, I'm sure PT would like to run for RLR or Panther. However, I think his best option for the rest of the season is Vision with some partial sponsorship deal. After their results at Homestead, I think PT can see that he would do a lot better this year in a Vision car than if Forsythe had taken his team to the IRL. Biggest hurdle will be his slaray. I'll bet TG would pay the cost to put him in a car tomorrow on the hope of luring a sponsor, but he won't front the big salary to him until there is sponsorship. If PT can bring some partial sponsorship and TG is willing to cover some up-front costs, they could run some races and try to use the upswing in the series to lure sposnors for a full budget. Just a thought.

PTCrash3
3rd April 2008, 01:12
"there's a dirty great monster
in this house
we pretend that he's not there..."

trish
3rd April 2008, 02:09
I keep seeing this title thrown about on many forums. Nothing in that article says that PT was released by Gerry. It clearly says that Paul was advised by his attorneys that Gerry was in breach. There could still be a lawsuit in the future.

Jag_Warrior
3rd April 2008, 03:50
I keep seeing this title thrown about on many forums. Nothing in that article says that PT was released by Gerry. It clearly says that Paul was advised by his attorneys that Gerry was in breach. There could still be a lawsuit in the future.

I think you're only the second person who's caught that.

indycool
3rd April 2008, 04:06
Probably the law theory is that he was in breach when the green dropped at Homestead.

MAX_THRUST
3rd April 2008, 12:08
Pt would have been good to see him on an oval again at Homestead.

Love him or hate him, he is good entertainment.

Makes you realise what GF's involvement was these past few years in respect of the split. Sorry he has to be this way.

mikiec
3rd April 2008, 12:41
Makes you realise what GF's involvement was these past few years in respect of the split. Sorry he has to be this way.

I agree. Whenever people talked about parties withe their own agendas screwing up any re-unification deals, I always imagined PG or even PN, amongst others, but not GF.

I know he's put lots of his own money into CART/CCWS over the years, perhaps he thought TG would pay it all back to him - welcome to the real world Gerry!

nigelred5
3rd April 2008, 14:27
I think you're only the second person who's caught that.

That was the FIRST thing I saw but I only mentioned it over at CCF

BenRoethig
3rd April 2008, 16:18
I agree. Whenever people talked about parties withe their own agendas screwing up any re-unification deals, I always imagined PG or even PN, amongst others, but not GF.

I know he's put lots of his own money into CART/CCWS over the years, perhaps he thought TG would pay it all back to him - welcome to the real world Gerry!

The saddest part is that it all comes down to a personality dispute between two people. Two people who were willing to hurt (and nearly kill) the sport and cause hardship for the those who make a living racing for the sake of their egos.

cartpix
3rd April 2008, 17:07
I'm thinking Gerry was sore about Paul's mom posting on CCF about the contract dispute. Gerry knew about the merger (or whatever you want to call it) & told him it was OK, contract was the same. Then he strung him along with the seat fitting, in Florida. After the music stopped & all the chairs were taken, Gerry let him out of the contract, with no where to go.

Jeff

bblocker68
3rd April 2008, 17:19
Just get him in a car. I need someone to root for :)

downtowndeco
3rd April 2008, 17:20
I'm thinking Gerry was sore about Paul's mom posting on CCF about the contract dispute. Gerry knew about the merger (or whatever you want to call it) & told him it was OK, contract was the same. Then he strung him along with the seat fitting, in Florida. After the music stopped & all the chairs were taken, Gerry let him out of the contract, with no where to go.

Jeff

What's kind of ironic (and funny in a backwards kind of way) is that when the merger deal was getting hung up by GF he was a hero to the CCF crowd. And when PT called the IRL cars ****wagons they were so happy they even named a website after it.

Now that the deal has finally gone through and the sport is one again the guy who they thought was a hero (GF) has left their other hero (PT) standing there with his **** in his hand and no car for the 08 season.

Talk about poetic justice.

BTW I hope Paul does get a ride in the IRL soon because he's a pretty darn good driver & a very colorful character.

GF I could do without.

Indy500'79
3rd April 2008, 22:04
Now that the deal has finally gone through and the sport is one again the guy who they thought was a hero (GF) has left their other hero (PT) standing there with his **** in his hand and no car for the 08 season. Talk about poetic justice.

well said

ezhop7
4th April 2008, 04:35
That is so true!!!

Cart750hp
4th April 2008, 04:54
If I'm PT and couldn't land a ride this year, anywhere, especially when there was an offer but due to his good faith under Forstyhe's contract and now it's gone....I'd sue Fortsythe. PT lost a lot of time, money and opportunity due to his contract with Forsythe. If PT can prove that he had offers while he was under Forsythe, he'd win. I don't if this just me but since I became an IndyCar, Cart, CC, and now IndyCar again.....I never ever admired Forsythe's work. I mean zippo. Thank god it came to an end.

BenRoethig
4th April 2008, 13:01
I don't think Forsythe cares about the money angle. Its pretty clear his aim was to keep a big name out of the series.

indycool
4th April 2008, 13:54
Yep.

Pat Wiatrowski
4th April 2008, 17:23
I don't think Forsythe cares about the money angle. Its pretty clear his aim was to keep a big name out of the series.

Which is his RIGHT.

BenRoethig
4th April 2008, 17:30
Perhaps, but it says a lot about a person when they're willing to ruin the lives of others for a personal vendetta.

garyshell
4th April 2008, 17:32
Which is his RIGHT.

Really? I think a few labor law lawyers might want to weigh in on that. If it could be shown that indeed, it was his intent to keep Paul from racing, I have a feeling he could be in DEEP doo doo. Notice the undelined words. This would be a tough case to prove. But my point is I don't think it is his right to just keep Paul from racing, even if he does have Paul under contract. Especially given that the contract he has is for Paul's services as a driver and apparently stipulates he must provide a car for Paul to drive.

Gary

indycool
4th April 2008, 17:59
Whether it's his right or not, IMO, it's in bad faith.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=233490&hubname=auto_racing

weeflyonthewall
4th April 2008, 18:07
Especially given that the contract he has is for Paul's services as a driver and apparently stipulates he must provide a car for Paul to drive.

Gary

What if GF is still waiting for the car PT can drive?
With CC done after LB could GF be looking at taking Paul somewhere else?
There's always contract contingency for both sides. Paul would like to go to Indy, GF may not.
Anything coming out of St. Pete's that he may be farmed out to Eric B?

indycool
4th April 2008, 18:26
Haven't heard anything, weefly. My guess is that Forsythe probably is taking the position that if some team owner wants Tracy, he can BUY the contract from Forsythe. As the TSN story shows, Tracy's lawyers feel Forsythe breached the contract. Probably all kinds of lawsuits coming and probably going to get uglier than it even is now.

JasonD
4th April 2008, 18:53
Haven't heard anything, weefly. My guess is that Forsythe probably is taking the position that if some team owner wants Tracy, he can BUY the contract from Forsythe. As the TSN story shows, Tracy's lawyers feel Forsythe breached the contract. Probably all kinds of lawsuits coming and probably going to get uglier than it even is now.

Which will probably hurt PT's chances of landing a ride.

Ruben Barrios
5th April 2008, 00:35
Funny how some people still consider GF a hero... anyone so selfish and egomaniacal deserves a seat right next to TG as the two people who tried to kill the sport because of their own agenda...

BenRoethig
5th April 2008, 00:47
Funny how some people still consider GF a hero... anyone so selfish and egomaniacal deserves a seat right next to TG as the two people who tried to kill the sport because of their own agenda...

They're usually the ones who think just like him.

Cart750hp
5th April 2008, 07:24
Paul, sue Forsythe's a$$.

All PT needs to do is to provide offers from teams, not just in IRL, to ride for them but due to his contract with Forsythe he was unable to take the offer. Until now, I don't see any seat for Paul under Forsythe. Forsythe couldn't provide one and he's busted.

Paul, read my sig below. Time to get yourself a very good lawyer and get the most money you can get from Forsythe.