PDA

View Full Version : St. pete not being shown live in UK

BobGarage
31st March 2008, 22:32
Just a warning for UK viewers....

Sky is showing NASCAR at Texas live next Sunday and the St. Pete race is relegated to a tape delay after it. NASCAR coverage starts 7pm our time. The st Petes race starts about 7.30 our time but won't be shown until 11pm.

Andrewmcm
31st March 2008, 23:16
That's not so bad. I'll avoid the internet by watching the NASCAR race and then it's Indycar time! The NASCAR race is at Texas so it should be fairly entertaining.

V12
31st March 2008, 23:37
Great, so rather than see Wheldon racing for the win UK viewers get to see Franchitti tool around at the back of the NASCAR race, thats if he manages to qualify in the first place.

Makes no difference to me as I'm not getting my subscription till I get my new pad in July so I'll be following the race online again, although if I had paid for Sky already I'd be p*ssed...

BobGarage
31st March 2008, 23:47
will be interesting to see what skys viewing figures are for the series.

Currently their NASCAR coverage gets around 43,000 viewers. A1GP gets anywhere from 40,000 to 80,000 varying week to week.

infoxicated
1st April 2008, 09:51
That's l**** - they promised on the first NASCAR broadcast that they'd show them side by side.

There are only two reasons I have Sky Sports - the NFL and the IndyCar Series - if they're going to ***** around with the IndyCar then I might as well save the money and watch the internet feed.

2nd April 2008, 15:10
It looks like all around Europe only the German Premiere will show the race live.
Interesting if NASCAR is supposed to have a higher TV rating in the UK?

BobGarage
2nd April 2008, 15:41
It looks like all around Europe only the German Premiere will show the race live.

BARBs viewing figures aren't out for last weekend yet. Will be interesting to see what each got last weekend. Generally this year NASCAR are getting 40,000 to 50,000 viewers in total across the whole of the UK on Sky Sports.

djparky
2nd April 2008, 19:35
must admit I thought they'd make use of the interactive feature they use for tennis etc- I'm quite happy to have the coverage either way- will simply tape whichever one is on later

although Texas is usually a bit of a snoozer- it's another of those ovals that doesn't produce great racing

philipbain
2nd April 2008, 20:24
I'm a bit annoyed at Sky's decision to favour NASCAR over Indycar as NASCAR races generally go on and on and on, the races being split into 2 sections, the first 3/4 of the race where everyone just tries not to get caught up in crashes, survive that and you can participate in the final 1/4 of the event when people actually start trying to race!! The thing I love about single seaters is the purity of the racing, the fact that if you give any less than 10/10ths you are an also ran, NASCAR is essentially a tyre management trial by comparison!!

BobGarage
9th April 2008, 14:23

BARB released the UK Tv ratings for the w/e 30-March today.

Neither the IRL or NASCAR registered in the Sky Sports top ten viewed programs. meaning they both got less than 40,000 viewers UK wide that weekend. In contrast, the channels top viewed programme was the England International on the wednesday night which got almost 2 million viewers.

Looks like the "pay extra" channels in the uk are turning fans off.

djparky
9th April 2008, 19:57
BARB released the UK Tv ratings for the w/e 30-March today.

Neither the IRL or NASCAR registered in the Sky Sports top ten viewed programs. meaning they both got less than 40,000 viewers UK wide that weekend. In contrast, the channels top viewed programme was the England International on the wednesday night which got almost 2 million viewers.

Looks like the "pay extra" channels in the uk are turning fans off.

NASCAR was on Setanta before and that was a pay extra channel as well, Indy Car has been on Sky for years- both are minority interest sports in the UK- and frankly if we didn't have the Sky option we wouldn't see it at all- I'm not prepared to spend 4 hours sat in front of the PC monitor watching it over the web

NickFalzone
9th April 2008, 20:25
I disagree, TMS is one of the most intense oval races on the IndyCar schedule. Did you see last year's race?

must admit I thought they'd make use of the interactive feature they use for tennis etc- I'm quite happy to have the coverage either way- will simply tape whichever one is on later

although Texas is usually a bit of a snoozer- it's another of those ovals that doesn't produce great racing