PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think?

Chaparral66
31st March 2008, 08:24
I didn't get to see the race since I was moving, so what do think of the first race since unifying?

Pieter Dams
31st March 2008, 08:44
I thought it was OK. The field was a little bigger than last season, but the racing was a little boring at times because the IRL doesn't seem to has as much side by side racing anymore as they did in the early 2000s.

Still, it was defnitely an improvement on last season's races, although the former Champ Car teams were more field fillers than anything else and some of their drivers were just embarrassingly slow. If they could replace some of the Visos and Perreras by Paul Tracys and Patrick Carpentiers, the series could slowly become more like the old CART again.

Marco was very impressive, though, especially considering his oval track record from last year.

seppefan
31st March 2008, 09:08
[quote="Pieter Dams"]I
If they could replace some of the Visos and Perreras by Paul Tracys and Patrick Carpentiers, the series could slowly become more like the old CART again.

quote]

Oh dear! What an uninformed quote. Check the facts before responding.

mikiec
31st March 2008, 09:33
I think it's fair to say that the ex-Champ Car teams were more interested in leaving Homestead with a fully intact car so they can go racing next weekend at St Petersburg, where they'll have more of a chance at competing with the IRL teams.

Don't forget, most of these drivers have very little or no experience of racing on ovals and only Junqueira has driven one of these style IRL cars (even that was a G-Force in the Indy 500, not a Dallara) on an oval. Chances are that these guys had more downforce on the cars to make sure they got home in one piece. It was more of a learning experience for them and the response of the IRL drivers was that they drove well.

I was worried that it could have turned into a crash-fest with the ex-CCWS cars getting in the way of the more experienced IRL guys, but it didn't turn out that way and in that respect, the new guys acquitted themselves well.

It's onwards and upwards from here!!

Just a side note, I still don't like the sound of the engines - reminds me of fighter planes zooming past in WWII movies. But I'll put up with it until they can (hopefully) sort something better out for 2010.

ShiftingGears
31st March 2008, 12:30
Just a side note, I still don't like the sound of the engines.

Name one person who does :p :

I hope the IndyCar series is picked up by free-to-air back here. It'd certainly be better than the one hour of highlights packages CCWS fans were faced with.

Besides, IndyCar has two Australians in the field. One of which was extremely good in the V8's. Fingers crossed.

MAX_THRUST
31st March 2008, 12:36
Well get to see the highlights tomorrow, can't wait to see it.

I will always miss the turbo's, but if that is the only sacrifice to a merged series then I have to take it.

Think the CCWS guys were going slow to save cars and parts. ST PEte should be more interesting and that'll could be more of a crash fest.

LuigiStone
31st March 2008, 15:27
It was not the best race. But the races will get better once the CC guys start catching up.

bblocker68
31st March 2008, 15:40
The race was okay for me. It was nice to see the big hooplah in the beginning and the crowd was bigger than usual for Homestead. RM had a good point in saying to have the first race where people actually care about racing (Long Beach, hmmmmm).

I was watching the race feeling as though there was something missing, like:

PT
Doornbos
A CC car that could compete

All I was really rooting for was Power, Wilson and Servia. I pulled for Marco and he did a good job.

I know it'll be different this weekend, thank God. It just felt kind of strange knowing the CC guys were waaaaay behind.

Yo Red Bull, send over Speed and AJ. I'm sure AJ's getting bored :)

Again............We really, really, really need PT out there. FREE PT, FREE PT, FREE PT!!!!!!!!!!

Hoop-98
31st March 2008, 16:00
I think Indy will be a good indicator of progress, but this is a patched up "transition" season and it will have plenty of bumps.

With 2 or 3 XCCrs in the top 10 next week it will be a lot more balanced.

I hear PCM will be at Indy and beyond, that would be nice too.

rh

dataman1
31st March 2008, 16:25
I'm sorry to say this but I fell asleep. I have the same problem with NASCAR. The drone of those engines work like a sleeping pill. The announcers attempts to make it exciting didn't keep me awake. I lost 30+ laps to sleep.

I liked the hipe at the start and the wheel to wheel fight at the front. Later, I rooted for Marco. Good first event overall. I appreciated the compliments from the regular drivers towards the transisition drivers.

Roundy round racing is not my cup of tea.

SarahFan
31st March 2008, 16:26
t beat the heck out what we has the last 3 or so years!

Chaparral66
31st March 2008, 16:34
I thought it was OK. The field was a little bigger than last season, but the racing was a little boring at times because the IRL doesn't seem to has as much side by side racing anymore as they did in the early 2000s.

Still, it was defnitely an improvement on last season's races, although the former Champ Car teams were more field fillers than anything else and some of their drivers were just embarrassingly slow. If they could replace some of the Visos and Perreras by Paul Tracys and Patrick Carpentiers, the series could slowly become more like the old CART again.

Marco was very impressive, though, especially considering his oval track record from last year.

Sounds like a fair accessment. Was Danica a factor at all?

Hoop-98
31st March 2008, 16:37
She led the non-factors....

dataman1
31st March 2008, 16:39
Can you imagine the number of dancing references the commentators would have used had Helio been out front. "he danced right around that back marker", "fox trot that Dixon". Just having some fun.

JasonD
31st March 2008, 17:06
It was boring. I taped the race and the preshow, yawn.
I watched about 10 minutes of the painful preshow and 30 minutes of the actual race. I realized I really didnt care and flipped on the NASCAR race which I found more interesting.

My problem is I have nothing vested in any of the competitive drivers. I found the cars sounded crappy, no PT, I dont like the side-by-side commercial break (bad vision, screen to small), the broadcast quality just seamed kinda cheap and Scott Goodyear is in serious need of a personality transplant.

I was very excited about this but now, well now Im not.

KyKiske
31st March 2008, 17:11
race was a bit dull, but I dont think it was helped by the ex-CC guys breaking up the battles and stretching things out. Hopefully they should be on the money at Indy, and the season can start in earnest from there.

Good job from Servia I though. And Carpenter.

champcarray
31st March 2008, 17:50
The race was OK, but I didn't care for the announcing. Let's face it, there were two races going on: one to win, and one for best in class. They almost completely ignored the CC contingent once the race got rolling. A real disappointment. ABC/ESPN really should go the extra mile to follow the progress of the recent CC drivers.

I'll end on an up beat by saying the on-car camera that rotates a full 360 degrees made quite a debut. It really helped capture the action.

infoxicated
1st April 2008, 09:56
I thought it was the least exciting Homestead race there's been in years, but there were still a few good bits.

The ex-CC guys ran superbly, I thought - holding line well through the corners and have brought a couple of fantastic liveries to the table. I'm hoping they'll be more mixed through the field at St Pete's, too.

All in all, I give it the thumbs up - I was really worried it'd be a crash-fest. :)

SarahFan
1st April 2008, 17:08
t beat the heck out what we has the last 3 or so years!

geez...posting on your phone in an airport doesn't always make sense does it..

what I thought?

good race...not great

the top six of Briscoe, Wheldon, Helio, TK, marco and dixon will top the charts all season...mix in the occasional Danica and Carpenter or foyt....mix in some attritoon on the RC and the occasional Wilson and power in the top ten and that's what we should see all year long..

no major suprises.......and that's OK at this point

Indy500'79
1st April 2008, 17:22
They almost completely ignored the CC contingent once the race got rolling. A real disappointment. ABC/ESPN really should go the extra mile to follow the progress of the recent CC drivers.

I agree - once the race started it was like the former CC teams weren't even there. Even though they weren't competitive, I felt they needed more coverage, especially Wilson and Servia. Wilson had a camera on his car but the only time I saw it was when he cut his tire. I understand it's not exciting to focus on the back of the pack, but these teams need exposure in order to get sponsors and be viable long term. Once TG stops sbsidizing them, a large number will be gone if they can't get any traction in the series.

Overall it was what I expected - an IRL race with the former CC cars there basically testing. It's a step forward and it will only get better. I do vote for new announcers. Paul Page is doing dirt bikes and drag racing - he's got to be better than the current crew.