PDA

View Full Version : David Leslie killed in plane crash

vx1054
30th March 2008, 22:50
Just seen on TouringCarTimes.com that David Leslie and Richard Lloyd were killed in a plane crash on the way to France. Leslie was going to drive Jaguar XKR for Lloyd's Apex Motorsport.

Very sad news indeed, condolences to both their families.

MattL
30th March 2008, 22:55
Very sad indeed. Thoughts are with their family and friends.

poole123
30th March 2008, 22:55
Very sad news david was a true gentleman

ready2rock
30th March 2008, 22:56
Sad day in Motorsport yet again an aviation incident :(

RIP.

BDunnell
30th March 2008, 22:58
What sad news indeed.

Mp3 Astra
30th March 2008, 23:01
I can't believe this. I don't know what to say. This was a touring car racer I grew up with, when I first started to love the BTCC.

My condolences to both of their family and friends - this is awful news. :(

tintin
30th March 2008, 23:07
Lloyd was also a great BTCC driver. He was class champion three years in a row in the seventies, and won twelve races outright.

Pedalpusher
30th March 2008, 23:12
I'd seen the news about the plane crash but have just seen on Sky News that David Leslie was on board.

Very sad news :(

AndySpeed
30th March 2008, 23:16
(This thread a candidate for the Chit Chat forum aswell?)

Very sad to read this news

VkmSpouge
30th March 2008, 23:18
Terrible news. David Leslie was a good driver and my condolences go to his and all the other families of the victims of the crash.

Vez
30th March 2008, 23:19
RIP David Leslie and Richard Lloyd and the others involved too.

Condolences to all of their family and friends.

Rover V8
30th March 2008, 23:24
Lloyd was also a great BTCC driver. He was class champion three years in a row in the seventies, and won twelve races outright.

successful both as a driver and team boss- he ran the Audi Sport UK A4s for of Biela and Bintcliffe in 1996/7

Marc W
30th March 2008, 23:27
Very shocking and sad news. I only spoke to David last weekend to congratulate him on winning the Britcar race, I would never have guessed it would have been his final ever race. :(

wedge
30th March 2008, 23:28
That is awful news.

Was really looking forward to following the Jags in FIA GT3 this year.

Both were excellent drivers in tourers and endurance racing and will be sadly missed.

Condolences to friends and family and affiliates of Apex motorsport.

:(

Henry Cutts
30th March 2008, 23:32
Awful news

Condolences to family and friends

basher998
31st March 2008, 00:05
I sat on the table next to David at Silverstone last Weekend and watched him win the Britcar Race as we were racing there too in Britcar.I cant believe this sad news,i am in total shock,how many more will we lose to air crash's? ;(

nik
31st March 2008, 00:10
I've just got in and read it on the internet. I can't beleive it.
I've honestly got tears in my eyes.

RIP David & Richard

AndyRAC
31st March 2008, 00:18
I can't really believe it, I was watching his win at Thruxton in 96 only 2 hours ago.
RIP David & Richard

m.lowe
31st March 2008, 00:24
Leslie was an excellent driver and I so remember him in the Ecosse Cavaliers
I didnt know of Lloyd
Condolences to all the familes involved

BTCC Fan#1
31st March 2008, 00:46
This is such a terrible shock. :( Like many others David Leslie was a driver I grew up following in the BTCC, I am genuinely very saddened, my condolences to the families of all the victims of this terrible accident.

WSRfan82
31st March 2008, 05:11
im shaocked to hear that that is sad news for the world of motorsport leslie was a real gent and they were both a legands in touring cars. will be sadley missed my thoughts as with both familys

Mark
31st March 2008, 07:28
wow, not a good way to start a Monday morning :( . Another one of motorsports best taken away from us because of an aviation accident :s . I have fond memories of David's driving especially in the late 1990's and his commentating in more recent years.

I saw coverage of the plane crash on Sky News, but I had no idea at the time who was involved!

RIP.

MAX_THRUST
31st March 2008, 08:16
My thoughts are with the families of all those involved, my thanks go to the emergency crews that assisted yesterday.

David you were a gentleman and always a pleasure to talk too. You'll be sadly missed.

SEATFreak
31st March 2008, 08:19
Don't know the other guy who is also in motorsport (Richard Lloyd) but to hear that David is one of the fatalities I am just totaly devastated and shocked to the point of feeling really gutted and empty right now. :bigcry:

You will forever be in our memoried Dave!

RIP.

Sheffieldstag
31st March 2008, 08:32
Very sad news indeed.

RIP both to David, Richard, the pilots and other person on board.

Luffield
31st March 2008, 08:45
I heard about the crash last night on the radio at work but all that was said was that 5 people were killed with no names mentioned.

It was a bit of a shock to read this and find out it was the same tragic accident.

RIP David Leslie, Richard Lloyd, the brave pilots (who tried to recover the stricken plane) and the third passenger. :(

Another sad loss for Motorsport. :(

KyKiske
31st March 2008, 08:53
Obviously saw this on the news but had no idea David and Richard were involved. I always enjoyed David's WTCC commentary, not to mention his stern words on driving standards during his Proton days. Sad loss. I do hope ITV and Eurosport give him the fitting tribute he deserves at their next live BTCC and WTCC broadcasts.

KILOHMUNNS
31st March 2008, 08:56
Another sad loss for Motorsport.

David and Richard were 2 great personalities.

My condolences to all the familes involved.

ArrowsFA1
31st March 2008, 09:06
What awful news ;( I remember Richard Lloyd from the days when he ran Jonathan Palmer in the Canon Porsche, and IIRC he also ran the Akai Audi that Stirling Moss raced many years ago.

David Leslie was of course a very talented and versitile racer who will perhaps best be remembered for his BTCC exploits.

My condolences to their families.

RIP

Rusty
31st March 2008, 09:11
R.I.P David Leslie my thoughts are with all the familys of people involved in this tragic accident.

gm99
31st March 2008, 10:51
How terrible to lose yet another great (British) driver in an aviation accident.

Not following the BTCC too closely, I was not all that familiar with David's achievments as a driver (other than that his computer-likeness on "TOCA 2" was bloody difficult to beat ;) ), but I grew to appreciate his commentating for WTCC on Eurosport a lot - those broadcasts will never be the same for me without his participation :(

My condolences go out to the family and loved ones of all those on board the aircraft.

BDunnell
31st March 2008, 11:31
What awful news ;( I remember Richard Lloyd from the days when he ran Jonathan Palmer in the Canon Porsche, and IIRC he also ran the Akai Audi that Stirling Moss raced many years ago.

He was also Moss' team-mate for a time.

hicksy
31st March 2008, 11:49
Yet another tragedy. I only heard the news this morning. A very sad loss to motorsport. My sympathies to the family and friends of all on board.

Iain
31st March 2008, 12:02
Shocking news, very sad. Another of the stars of the BTCC's golden age taken from us far too soon. :( And to lose another hugely influential motorsport figure in Richard Lloyd is equally tragic. RIP to all onboard and thoughts go out to the families of all onboard.

MrJan
31st March 2008, 13:07
Yet again it is something outside of motor racing that takes a great man from the sport. Leslie joins a long list of British stars that died before their time. RIP.

Abo
31st March 2008, 13:24

BDunnell
31st March 2008, 13:35
Shocking news, very sad. Another of the stars of the BTCC's golden age taken from us far too soon. :(

Indeed. It is so sad to think that the two drivers who won at that wonderfully entertaining meeting at Silverstone in April 1998, Leslie and Will Hoy, are both no longer with us.

portess
31st March 2008, 13:57
It is really sad new's about David.
But it's spooky in a way that Touring car's was racing yesterday at Brand's just down the road from Farnbourgh and he killed should at that time.
He will be missed.
And I hope there will be a minute's silence for the driver's killed in yesterday's crash at Rockingham on the 13th April.

VXRDartford
31st March 2008, 14:41
Can't believe it David was the first BTCC driver that I met when he was driving for Honda at a British Motorshow. The WTCC coverage will not be the same again.

My thoughts are with their families and friends

RIP

Marc W
31st March 2008, 14:47
David winning his final ever race, Saturday 22nd March 2008 at Silverstone. RIP

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/2374607251_bc90cdb708.jpg

Condolences to everyone that knew all involved.

Dave B
31st March 2008, 15:11
Very sad news. I saw coverage of the crash on TV yesterday and clearly it was a tragedy whoever was involved. To find out it was such well-known and well-liked figures from motorsport only serves to amplify that, although our thoughts should be with the friends and families of all those affected.

SEATFreak
31st March 2008, 15:25
This is how I best remember him. Racing with Team PSP with Phil Bennet.

I am hardly in a strong position to talk about memories of David as mine doesn't begin till 2002 and only ends a mere year later in 2003 with Team PSP.

But though his autograph is one of the first two I recieved in 2002 and he raced at Croft too for Proton; coming 2nd and 7th respectively in 2002 and 9th and 19th respectively in 2003, he is probably most significant to me as a Croft-goer when he was competing for Nissan; though I never saw him compete for them.
He was involved in the very first BTCC meeting there in 1997 where he came third in race 2, beating Renault's Jason Plato and coming behind 2nd place James Thompson and winner Alain Menu...so I have to ask....just how good was David? How strong a competitor for Nissan was he?

Allyc85
31st March 2008, 16:16
Really cant belive this, why is it always the good guys :(

RIP David.

Captain VXR
31st March 2008, 16:21
rip all in the crash ;(

Funks
31st March 2008, 18:02
How strong a competitor for Nissan was he?

For 1999, there was little to seperate David and Laurent Aiello.

Given that some regard Laurent Aiello as the best touring car driver that there has ever been - that took some work. Although the Primera romped home in the manufacturers title that year, the drivers championship was a much tighter affair and he pushed Aiello very hard indeed.

Let us not forget that David had the ability to drive touring cars and endurance cars at the highest level. His CV is enviable.

On a personal note, I met him briefly at the Proton / Petronas launch. I must admit that prior to that day I had him down as a bit of an old timer and a has-been, but the enthusiasm that he had for that project changed my opinion of the man. That enthusiasm ran right until his untimely passing - as I understand the purpose of the flight was to attend a test for the Apex Jaguar XK GT3 car that he has been involved in the development of since its conception.

I'll certainly miss his contribution as a TV commentator. Who can they find that has the levels of genius and encyclopaedic knowledge to put Martin Haven right when he makes mistakes?!

A tragic day for those directly affected and a sad day for us in the wide world of the motorsport family.

I presume we will be able to pay our respects collectively in some way to David Leslie and Richard Lloyd at Rockingham.

racing59
31st March 2008, 18:04
R.I.P David, Richard, and all on board. A sad and tragic event for the world of Motorsport.

Iain
31st March 2008, 18:42

That's how I remember him as well. He always had a massive big grin on his face whenever you asked for an autograph or a photo. :)

slinkster
31st March 2008, 18:53
I was sad to hear David Leslie named as one of the people on board. He was one of the faces of BTCC when I first started getting into the sport as a child. :(

BTCC2
31st March 2008, 20:01
R.I.P David Leslie.

AlexClarke
31st March 2008, 20:04
Dreadful news.

patnicholls
31st March 2008, 20:32
RIP David, Richard and the others involved in this tragedy.

I remember David from the first time I went to a motor race - BTCC at Oulton Park in 1995 when he was driving the Honda Accord. Richard Lloyd also had a massive influence on the Super Touring era, running the Audi BTCC squad and then the Bentley Le Mans victory in 2003.

My thoughts are with their families and friends.

heel'n'toe-no
31st March 2008, 21:01
Having been fortunate enough to have raced against David over the last few years, I have to say he is was one of the true gentlemen in motor racing. The finest drive I remember him being in was at the Walter Hayes Trophy race in the pouring rain. On the first lap of the race he came from the back of the field to be fighting his way through at the front by the time he got on to Silverstones National Straight. Sky Sports, I think it was, had an on board camera on his car.....The footage is simply the best display of Formula Ford car control I have ever witnessed.
My thoughts are with all of the families, but especially Davids. He will be sadly missed. May you rest in peace.

Coops
31st March 2008, 21:25

I am hardly in a strong position to talk about memories of David as mine doesn't begin till 2002 and only ends a mere year later in 2003 with Team PSP.

But though his autograph is one of the first two I recieved in 2002 and he raced at Croft too for Proton; coming 2nd and 7th respectively in 2002 and 9th and 19th respectively in 2003, he is probably most significant to me as a Croft-goer when he was competing for Nissan; though I never saw him compete for them.
He was involved in the very first BTCC meeting there in 1997 where he came third in race 2, beating Renault's Jason Plato and coming behind 2nd place James Thompson and winner Alain Menu...so I have to ask....just how good was David? How strong a competitor for Nissan was he?

David was a fantastic driver, almost as much an engineer as a driver which made him so good. For instance, he drove for Ray Mallocks Ecurie Ecosse team (A semi-works Vauxhall team that ran year old Cavaliers) in 1992 and worked hard to push the team to the front. In 1993 he won, and by the end of the season regularly out performed the works Vauxhalls of Cleland and Allam. Ray Mallock then got the 'works' Vauxhall contract for 1994. I know this shows as much of RML as David Leslie, but in 1995 he joined Honda. Once again a brand new team, and once again, patient steady development work with MSD brought steadily improving results and the car was a winner and front runner in 1996. Yet again, a new team in 1997 (Nissan, with RML again) brought more steady progress and wins in 1998 before a challenge for the championship in 1999. The same forward progress was made at Proton, eventually achieving podiums. A very brief run-down of his acheivements in the super-touring era, but you get the picture.

What made him different was a real difference he made to the RML and MSD teams, David was the best development driver out there and would improve a car surely and steadily until it won. That's what I mean about him being as much engineer as driver, not to mention a thoroughly nice bloke. Always smiling. He would always chat in the pit lane, and if ever there was an 'uncrowned champion' he would be it. In my opinion, he was very under-rated. Fantastic bloke, i'm really sad he's gone.

You probably hadn't heard of Richard Lloyd as the name of his team seemed to vary! Named Apex Motorsport recently, you may know his team from the Audi BTCC days and the Le Mans winning Bentley programme. He also ran the Canon Porsche 956 and 962's during the mid-80's in the World Endurance Championship that challenged (and sometimes beat) the works Porsches, amongst other guises of his team. He created and led one of this countries top motorsport teams, such a loss.

I hope, and i'm sure, there will be various tributes to both in the near future. My condolences to the families of all on board - the pilots, engineer, David and Richard.

PDS
31st March 2008, 23:50
I met and spoke to David a number of times. A genuine gentleman! A driver that will be sorely missed on track and in the commentary box.

Also sympathies go out to Richard Lloyd who helped take touring car racing to a new level when he brought the Audi's to the BTCC.

And for the young lad that was with them! A treat that had tragic results. A young life cut short!

My thoughts are with all of the families.

yodasarmpit
1st April 2008, 00:19
Another great that will be missed, I have such fond memories of David battling it out with Cleland up at Knockhill during the BTCC golden age.

SEATFreak
1st April 2008, 09:11
Thanks for all the info Funks and Coops. Very much appreciated. I have the info down in my book about Vodafone Nissan Racing under RML with Reidy and David and before with RouseSport with Owen McAuley and Gary Ayles.

And of course David himself. His achievement in the World Sportscar Championship in 1997 with Ecosse, in 88' with Mazda at Le Mans, in 89' and 90' with Aston Martin in the Sportscar's and of course his time in the BTCC; first with BMW in 91', in 92' and 93' in the Cavaliers finishing 7th and 8th respectively, the short-lived tenure with Mazda in 94' due to inadequate budget, MSD in 95' and 96' and finishing with his first season with Nissan in 97'.

But text make history all too brief. Bust as you both proved in your posts, you need to hear it from someone who was there. Because you two, like many more, tasted and smelt everything about a BTCC that was going through a good time it seems and were able to experience for real the talents of a driver in David who was racing in his prime.

He will be sorely missed by everyone of all ages and I hope ALL meetings this season organise some tribute.

RaikkonenRules
1st April 2008, 22:29
RIP David Leslie. One of the first touring car drivers I followed back in the late 90s along with Rydell and Menu. :(

Luffield
2nd April 2008, 12:10
After humbling the works team in 1993 with his Cavalier, that livery now adorns my batracer Astra.

My own tribute to a great racer that should have had his name on the BTCC trophy.

Delenn
5th April 2008, 22:05
Argh! They forgot to turn Martin's microphone up for his tribute.

How much disrespect can Eurosport have? Disgusting. For once in their life they needed to get it right.....

Dave B
6th April 2008, 10:52
It would appear that the whole broadcast was blighted by technical problems, I'm sure they meant no disrespect.

Iain
10th April 2008, 13:30
Nice tribute by Knockhill: http://www.knockhill.com/news.php?a=210

Rusty
10th April 2008, 13:42
Fantastic News, brings a Tear to the eye just reading it....

BDunnell
10th April 2008, 13:48
What a genuinely nice and fitting gesture.

Iain
10th April 2008, 14:44
What an poignant photo for the article as well. Look who the first two cars are driven by:

http://www.knockhill.com/CMS/uploads/Image/PRESS/Leslie-Hi.jpg

BDunnell
10th April 2008, 14:49
Oh yes, I hadn't spotted that.

AndySpeed
10th April 2008, 17:54
The corner formerly named 'Scotsman' is now to be named Leslie?

A fitting tribute from Knockhill.

Iain
10th April 2008, 18:59
Andy, it's the left hander in the background of that photo that's being named 'Leslies'. Scotsman (or as I call it: McIntyres) is the next right hander.