PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Indycars should replace F1 at Indy road circuit.

Rogelio
29th March 2008, 22:15
This topic has probably been discussed before but as a new IRL fan (former CART/Champ Car fan) I think that TG should seriously consider running the temoporary road course at Indy. Surely, it will never compare to the Indy 500, but what does the IRL have to lose. Most of the teams are based in Indianapolis and I think it would definitely be a success. Perhaps, the season could end there or begin there. My guess is that the weather is not suitable in the late winter (early March) or early fall (October).

The track is already the IRL's answer to Daytona, so if NASCAR can return twice a year to the same track, why can't the IRL do the same?

-Helix-
30th March 2008, 02:27
MotoGP already replaced F1. They're changing the track to accomodate MotoGP too.

Personally I don't see what was so great about the Indy Road Course anyway. I'd worry about getting all the old successful CC races on the schedule first.

ShiftingGears
30th March 2008, 02:49
MotoGP already replaced F1. They're changing the track to accomodate MotoGP too.

Personally I don't see what was so great about the Indy Road Course anyway. I'd worry about getting all the old successful CC races on the schedule first.

Yep. Indy GP is a Mickey Mouse circuit in comparison to some Champ Car events absent from the calendar.

nanders
30th March 2008, 03:24
Yep. Indy GP is a Mickey Mouse circuit in comparison

It's not just by comparison. It is stand alone Micky Mouse with no comparison. [Insert_wise_crack_about_what_it_is_good_for]

F1boat
30th March 2008, 12:43
Two races at Indy - the road course at the 500 - why not, really. Sounds good.

Jag_Warrior
30th March 2008, 22:17
This topic has probably been discussed before but as a new IRL fan (former CART/Champ Car fan) I think that TG should seriously consider running the temoporary road course at Indy. Surely, it will never compare to the Indy 500, but what does the IRL have to lose. Most of the teams are based in Indianapolis and I think it would definitely be a success. Perhaps, the season could end there or begin there. My guess is that the weather is not suitable in the late winter (early March) or early fall (October).

The track is already the IRL's answer to Daytona, so if NASCAR can return twice a year to the same track, why can't the IRL do the same?

The IRL used to run two races at TMS. So sure, they could do this. Is there demand for a road course IRL race at Indy? I don't know... just asking.

jso1985
31st March 2008, 03:13
I'd rather have any road course Champ Cars had.
The Indy road course usually gave F1 one of the most boring races of the season, the track lacks personality and excitement, plus turn 13(turn 1 on the oval) can cause some nasty accidents(ask Ralf Schumacher!)

Race Street
31st March 2008, 03:25
Sure - I would rather see 2nd tier drivers in spec low-tech cars rather than the best drivers in the world driving the most advanced cars on the planet.

!!WALDO!!
31st March 2008, 03:26
Never happen, One Indy Car race, 1 NASCAR race and the MotoGP. I would forget about Bernie and Max and go with the 12 Hours of Indy for Grand American. $1,500,000 purse and stipend for Prototype and $750,000 for GT with $750,000 to the top 12 overall.
$3,000,000 with France Money (TV, Rolex and Manufacturers support) the final deal cost less than $2,000,000 and put a $50.00 GA ticket on it.

So 40,000 makes it even, 80,000 doubles it.

garyshell
31st March 2008, 04:53
Sure - I would rather see 2nd tier drivers in spec low-tech cars rather than the best drivers in the world driving the most advanced cars on the planet.

All the while paying some ultra rich fat cat even more exorbitant amounts of extortion money, beacuse if you don't he'll pull the race and move on to some country where he CAN extort his fee.

Gary

millencolin
31st March 2008, 05:46
The Indy Road course race may still become an f1 race, according to TG. he just needs to find a big sponsor.

But i would rather see the return of Cleveland, toronto or Road America than a second race at Indy. Variety is the spice of life :p :

gorby007
31st March 2008, 12:42
Why not do a double header weekend at the Indy road course, Champ Car Atlantics & Indy Lights

Lousada
31st March 2008, 13:38
They'd better get a long endurance race there. Waldo suggested Grand Am, but I'd like ALMS better. Perhaps invite some crews over from LMS and FIA GT and you have something special.

BobGarage
31st March 2008, 13:41
They'd better get a long endurance race there. Waldo suggested Grand Am, but I'd like ALMS better. Perhaps invite some crews over from LMS and FIA GT and you have something special.

I like the sound of that. A 12 hour ALMS race would be nice.

nanders
31st March 2008, 15:52

Tony said on the Cavin and Kevin radio show this last week, that the neighbors wouldn't go for an Endurance race. For those of you who don't know, Indy is in a residential neighborhood.

!!WALDO!!
31st March 2008, 18:27

I see that could be a neighborhood problem then make it an 8 hour race from 10:00AM to 6:00PM. Now watch I am wrong again. (That is normal practice time the whole month of May)
Now how is 24 to 27 cars better than 24-27 Prototypes and 30-33 GT cars?
ALMS costs the Speedway about $750,000 base. Grand-Am cost the Speedway ZERO base.
So $750,000 for 27 cars or ZERO for 60 cars. If you were laying out money which one makes more sense? No emotions here, dollars and cents. So TG can spend another $2,000,000 for the Grand-Am and spin a deal to get that sponsor into the Brickyard as an associate from nothing. What cross marketing can be done with the ALMS? NONE.

So if it would happen the Grand-American would be the direction.

Lousada
31st March 2008, 21:58
I see that could be a neighborhood problem then make it an 8 hour race from 10:00AM to 6:00PM. Now watch I am wrong again. (That is normal practice time the whole month of May)
Now how is 24 to 27 cars better than 24-27 Prototypes and 30-33 GT cars?
ALMS costs the Speedway about $750,000 base. Grand-Am cost the Speedway ZERO base.
So $750,000 for 27 cars or ZERO for 60 cars. If you were laying out money which one makes more sense? No emotions here, dollars and cents. So TG can spend another $2,000,000 for the Grand-Am and spin a deal to get that sponsor into the Brickyard as an associate from nothing. What cross marketing can be done with the ALMS? NONE.

So if it would happen the Grand-American would be the direction.

I have not idea about the precise numbers, you might be right. But Grand-Am hardly draws a fly. Even the 24 hours draws hardly 50000 and that's in the offseason with all the stardrivers. I believe ALMS could well outdraw that, even with half the cars. It's a very different crowd.
It appears to me, although I have nothing to back that up, is that IMS only want top of the bill racing series, and not just anything that makes a bit of money. ALMS is more a 'premium' series, so that goes more with this idea.

!!WALDO!!
31st March 2008, 22:19
I have not idea about the precise numbers, you might be right. But Grand-Am hardly draws a fly. Even the 24 hours draws hardly 50000 and that's in the offseason with all the stardrivers. I believe ALMS could well outdraw that, even with half the cars. It's a very different crowd.
It appears to me, although I have nothing to back that up, is that IMS only want top of the bill racing series, and not just anything that makes a bit of money. ALMS is more a 'premium' series, so that goes more with this idea.

A 500 mile race that costs nothing for the Month of May, a NASCAR race that 50% is paid by NASCAR and most of the rest paid by All-State and then TV profit sharing of $15,000,000. So it doesn't matter it draws flies. The show is already black.
So the 24 draws 50,000? If Indy got that it would make big money.

ALMS is more a "premium" series? Really, I wonder when Don Panoz goes to J.C. and surrenders. "Premium" like the LMP1 and GT1 yup that is a "Premium". I will pay huge money for 7 ot 8 cars.

weeflyonthewall
1st April 2008, 19:36
ALMS is more a "premium" series? Really, I wonder when Don Panoz goes to J.C. and surrenders. "Premium" like the LMP1 and GT1 yup that is a "Premium". I will pay huge money for 7 ot 8 cars.

If GrandAm was a better option why are the BIG IRL team owners and factory teams going to ALMS? AUDI? PEUGOT? Penske (Porcshe), AGR (Acura) and Rahal (BMW)? Did you ignore LMP2 on purpose?

!!WALDO!!
1st April 2008, 19:54
If GrandAm was a better option why are the BIG IRL team owners and factory teams going to ALMS? AUDI? PEUGOT? Penske (Porcshe), AGR (Acura) and Rahal (BMW)? Did you ignore LMP2 on purpose?

Only because it costs the teams nothing. If you need to spend $1,000,000 to field a G-A prototype and you get $750,000 in sponsors you are out $250,000.
If it cost you $2,500,000 and between manufacturers and sponsors the effort costs you $250,000 which is a better deal?

Part two, the biggest part. These team owners do not like competition. They want to dominate the sport. Porsche came in with hopes that there will be at least 2 other teams running Porsche. Has it happened yet? How many LMP2s are there 7?
How many Daytona Prototypes are there? 22? So to win you have a 1/22 chance compared to a 1/7 or a 1/12 Overall.
Nope ALMS is a good series but if Dr. Don Panoz elects to stop paying bills then he will be offering it up to the France Family.
He may be too late as the G-A bought the AMA Professional end.

JSH
1st April 2008, 21:49
Nope ALMS is a good series but if Dr. Don Panoz elects to stop paying bills then he will be offering it up to the France Family.
He may be too late as the G-A bought the AMA Professional end.

No. If, as you alledge, Panoz is subsidizing the teams and he elects to stop doing this....

G-A will not gain the manufacturer teams or the series. Porsche, Audi, Acura/Honda, etc.. will just move to the LMS series in Europe.

There is no attraction for these manufacturers to participate in "NASCAR-for-Road-Racers".

!!WALDO!!
1st April 2008, 22:32
No. If, as you alledge, Panoz is subsidizing the teams and he elects to stop doing this....

LINK Please to me saying that. It is the events.

G-A will not gain the manufacturer teams or the series. Porsche, Audi, Acura/Honda, etc.. will just move to the LMS series in Europe.

Porsche is already there. They don't need to ***** away money as teams have sponsorship and they are racing for money.

There is no attraction for these manufacturers to participate in "NASCAR-for-Road-Racers".

See in this country, the simplier the better. Marketing found out that two cars, one weird and one stock appearing sells better than 4 classes of 2 weird and two stock. That is why G-A dropped and merged classes. It became apparent that what is now the GT class of ALMS with 2 Corvettes in it is not healthy. So balance the rules so many different type of cars can compete without spending truck loads of cash. This formula is putting 50 cars on the track and the ALMS maybe 25 to 28.
Yes, the 60,000 true road racing fans can harken back to a winner and second being 7 laps back, but the other 3,500,000 that the Grand-Am is trying to get likes seeing the winner and second feet back, with some passing. I know where you come from that isn't done but here it is expected now.

pits4me
3rd April 2008, 01:10
LINK Please to me saying that. It is the events.

Porsche is already there. They don't need to ***** away money as teams have sponsorship and they are racing for money.

See in this country, the simplier the better. Marketing found out that two cars, one weird and one stock appearing sells better than 4 classes of 2 weird and two stock. That is why G-A dropped and merged classes. It became apparent that what is now the GT class of ALMS with 2 Corvettes in it is not healthy. So balance the rules so many different type of cars can compete without spending truck loads of cash. This formula is putting 50 cars on the track and the ALMS maybe 25 to 28.
Yes, the 60,000 true road racing fans can harken back to a winner and second being 7 laps back, but the other 3,500,000 that the Grand-Am is trying to get likes seeing the winner and second feet back, with some passing. I know where you come from that isn't done but here it is expected now.

Rubbish! Which fan demographic do you claim to represent? The Grand AM at Long Beach was a sponsorship disaster compared to ALMS.

MAX_THRUST
3rd April 2008, 12:13
Waldo you normally wind me up, but SPOT ON THIS TIME!!!!

Why is there no 12 hours or 24 hours of Indy?

The ALMS series running on the road course. As for it being Mickey Mouse, yes but so is the Daytona infield circuit. Most Oval circuit road course arent that great, Rockingham UK excluded.