PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP - Jerez

patnicholls
29th March 2008, 17:23
Well, it is quiet in here - we've had two days of quali sessions and no thread!

Anyone going to stop Jorge taking the win tomorrow?

Corny
29th March 2008, 17:48
What a ****ING save by Edwards! Wonderful!

seppefan
29th March 2008, 19:26
What a ****ING save by Edwards! Wonderful!

That save was the moment of the weekend. So far.Fantastic. Jorge does look unstoppable but lets not count the others out as yet. Stoner is mad at todays performance and will look to make amends if the tyres work for him. Melandi.... oh dear, some head work needed I feel. James, lets hope he is feeling better in the morning. Suzuki will race better i hope. Going to be a good one unless Jorge runs into the distance but Pedrosa will fight that one, he will push push push.Looking good for tomorrow as usual. 125s, 250s and then the big one. All the best racing.

osg
29th March 2008, 21:46
I tipped Stoner for the win and Rossi 4th........ Dani and Jorge in the middle...... Might be more Like:

Lorenzo
Pedrosa
Rossi
Stoner

Anyways, a bit of intrigue for the round, can't wait for the race tonight our time.....

jim mcglinchey
29th March 2008, 23:54
Qualy was good, wasnt it. Casey looks more worried than usual, and I think it's because hes realising that he's the only one in the whole Dook squad who can do anything with that red Bow Wow. Imagine lashing out at Loris!

Vale must be wondering already if he did the right thing jumping tyre ship. Lets just hope it was down to the the Jorge-marked Michelin qualifier.

I notice that Loris' Suzook was the fastest speed trapped machine out there today. We shall see.....

Mach24
30th March 2008, 02:16
What a performance by Jorge!

I thought the Qatar thing was an aberration, a great leveler under lights but I gotta say I am impressed with his effort.

Truly gone is the wild on the edge style from his 125 years into a smooth, fast and confident contender.

Yes the season is young and I am sure there will be ups and downs, but a future champion in the premier class he is.

The thing that seems to set him apart from many of his country men that have made it to this level is he appears to have the metal capacity to belong at the top.

NinjaMaster
30th March 2008, 05:19
I was confident that Jorge would be very competitive in stepping up to MotoGP but his rise has still somewhat surprised me, even if it is still very early days. I'm still backing Pedrosa to win but it will be hard fought to the end.
I've also been very impressed with Edwards who really has getten a second wind with Tech3 now that he isn't playing a distant second fiddle to Rossi within his team. And that save of his was UNBELIEVABLE! :o
I really hope Hayden's strong qualifying can translate into an equally strong race pace and maybe give the 2 young Spaniards something to think about.
Bridgestone are struggling at Jerez again so it will be interesting to see how Rossi handles them at a track he is extremely strong at as opposed to Stoner who has never been able to get along with the Jerez circuit for some reason. Casey will be strong though not race win strong.
The rest of the field seems fairly open.
The Zooks were pretty good on race tires but struggled in qualifying and may be able to pick their way a bit higher.
Kawasaki have slowly been building though not to where they want to be but apparently weren't able to fully utilise their best tires they will use due to a lack of them. Perhaps they might surprise.
Dovi hasn't been able to carry on his Qatar form but he is a quality rider of immense talent and I would be surprised if he doesn't finish higher than he qualified.
Melandri is the biggest surprise for me as he has no form whatsoever and I never thought I'd see the day he qualified last without a significant injury. If things don't start picking up for him soon, the pressure will start to mount very quickly.
I'm looking forward to this race a lot! :up:

maxu05
30th March 2008, 06:10
It certainly promises to be an interesting race. Rossi and Stoner will be the ones that I will be watching. Heehaw is flying, but the Rossi factor, and Stoner on the Duke will be fighting to get after #48 from the word go. The Lorenzo/Pedrosa battle could be interesting to watch as well. All in all, this is shaping up to be a great race. Can't wait.

Mach24
30th March 2008, 06:14
I've also been very impressed with Edwards who really has getten a second wind with Tech3

Colin was always quick in quali, but rarely continued that into the full race distance. Time will tell, but I expect more of the same.

HRC are looking ominous!

maxu05
30th March 2008, 06:19
Randy is also looking sharp, and could be a podium challenger, as well as Toseland, who is usually very consistent.

NinjaMaster
30th March 2008, 06:36
Colin was always quick in quali, but rarely continued that into the full race distance. Time will tell, but I expect more of the same.

HRC are looking ominous!
That's true Mach and I don't expect him to be a race winner but I think he will be a more consistent top 5ish getter. He mentioned before the season that it was nice to have more focus on him in the garage after often being left out the previous few years if things weren't going well on the other side of the pit. That alone should see improvement I think and when he and JT get the new engines they will give the Fiat boys the hurry-up.

Roby44
30th March 2008, 06:45
Randy is also looking sharp, and could be a podium challenger, as well as Toseland, who is usually very consistent.

Randy always looks sharp ;)

Roby44
30th March 2008, 06:46
. Imagine lashing out at Loris!

Yes that wasn't very nice was it! :mad:

Roby44
30th March 2008, 12:11
Good God!!! What a 250cc race!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

F1boat
30th March 2008, 12:51
And Danny and Jorge may repeat this...

Corny
30th March 2008, 14:31
how cool with the Spanish king making Dani and Jorge shaking hands :D
Dani did a great job.. But the thing I always miss in him is overtaking manouvres, you hardly see any with Dani.. But today he was amazing
Vale also did quit well, but what a mistake on the last lap, you don't expect such a stupid mistake from a 7 time WC..
Nicky doing a Edwards manouvre, too bad he couldn't made it to the podium, I would've liked that so much for him
Capirossi, wow! there's some life in the old dog yet
Stoner, well he's human isn't he? Not too good race but I'm sure he will bounce back

Roll on Estoril I'd say :) I hope for a big fight between the current world's 4 best motorcyclers.. :D (Stoner, Rossi, Pedrosa and Lorenzo)

That's it, long time ago I enjoyed watching MotoGP so much

Erki
30th March 2008, 16:26
The 250cc race was mega!! I fell asleep during the MotoGP one. :o
Good race by Dovizioso too, too bad he lost three places in last turn...

MrJan
30th March 2008, 17:01
Stoner was his stupid old self today. After the first off he looked like getting back up with the Toseland group but he stupidly made the same mistake.

Nice to see Rossi happy again, I always like his interviews when he's on an up because he just seems to be having fun. Fair play to JT today, he showed people that he will fight for every position and is happy to bang farings to do it. Extra fair play because of how drained he looked at the end of the race, it was obviously tough for him and he deserved not to be hustled out by Loris.

Dani was in a league of his own today, nice solid performance and never really looked like he was going to be caught. Also a good showing by Lorenzo but if we're honest the bloke is the biggest cock on the grid, a complete arse.

Good stuff from Colin in qualifying and Nicky in the race with the turn 1 save. I have no idea how they stayed on, especially Edwards :up:

jim mcglinchey
30th March 2008, 17:12
wasn't overly exciting but it had its moments. I think Honda are putting their expertise into getting Mini-P off the line, then he has a clear field in front of him and doesnt have to dice with the others.

That wouldve been soooo funny if Vale had stopped with one lap to go.

maxu05
30th March 2008, 18:03
I was so peed off that they didn't show the race here as all the sport stations were showing the Olympic torch ceremony. I waited all afternoon for it to start, but nothing. Frustrated to say the least.

Wim_Impreza
30th March 2008, 19:52
I saw great races in 125 and 250 cc, but the MotoGP was boring, especially for the podium places. There was a very good fight for 5th place, but I saw only a few seconds from that. Pedrosa on a good lead or Stoner in 11th position was more interesting...

For me, the crash from Simoncelli and Bautista was a race incident. The Dutch commentary guys said it was a fault of Simoncelli, but Bautista drove away from his line... Bautista was much faster on the straight, but Simoncelli was that in the corners.

Nice to see that Corsi finally won again and off course my favourite Kallio in the 250's. As he said he had luck, but last year he had also much bad luck.

I am looking much more forward to the World Superbikes next weekend, MotoGP is not so exciting since the 800cc and the traction control.

osg
30th March 2008, 20:38
What a 250cc race..... incredible. Simoncelli made a mess of that. Nice response from Alvaro, as i would have broken bits off my bike and stabbed him with them!!

As for MotoGP.......... had it's moments. Great to see Vale on the podium, what the hell does the king think he's doing making those two shake hands? If they be hatin'.... let go on hatin'!!! It's good theatre.

JT has my 'spect for the gutsy showing, Capirex shos he still has the smarts, and Casey......... well, the first was his fault, the second Nakano's...... but all in all a poor result considering he could have been top 5 without the errors. Shows what a little doubt can do.

I have this niggling feeling overall this year that we will see a first time title win in the MotoGP class this year again, and a repeat of that the following year in '09.......... i'd love for Vale to win his 6th, but my gut tells me the former comment will hold true.

F1boat
30th March 2008, 21:24
The 250cc race was real drama and was really very entertaining. The Moto GP race... to me, Casey in Jerez was eerily similar to Kimi Raikkonen in Melbourne and I hope that he will be able to strike back in the next race, as Kimi did in Sepang.

AndyRAC
30th March 2008, 21:36
What on earth was Simoncelli thinking? Total brain fade - that's if he has a brain. If I'd have been Bautista I'd have chinned him good and proper - he certainly deserved it!!

KimCo
30th March 2008, 22:05
Hello to all, Before you all abuse Marco Simoncelli for a brilliant ride suggest you check with Autosport website. Bautistas bike gave up the ghost. Don't believe
everything that you hear on Eurosport. Hope they apologise to Marco for the unjust abuse they gave him.

patnicholls
30th March 2008, 22:21
Hello to all, Before you all abuse Marco Simoncelli for a brilliant ride suggest you check with Autosport website. Bautistas bike gave up the ghost. Don't believe
everything that you hear on Eurosport. Hope they apologise to Marco for the unjust abuse they gave him.

Ah - we weren't aware of that watching the TV, and clearly neither were the commentators. It wasn't obvious that Alvaro's bike had broken, although the hug in the gravel between the riders does now make more sense!

So it's simply a case of extreme bad luck for both of them, in fact.

Spanish
30th March 2008, 22:21
Alvaro Bautista says at Spain TV: My engine was broken, and braking suddenly to stay in an area in which Simoncelli was not expecting it!

Roby44
30th March 2008, 22:28
Marco rode like the Marco of "old".

I have also heard that Alvaro's bike died on him and that was why they collided. Poor Marco just when he was back in form..

THAT hair though!! How does he get iit into his helmet???

The King is one cool dude ...Making Dani and Jorge shake hands and just having so much fun..

Poor Dovi!!! Well at least they didn't punt him off track in their haste for the line!! :eek:

As for KC.... :rolleyes: Poo Poo happens KC deal with it!! :D Was a bit of a sooky in the pits after wasn't he!! :rolleyes:

Mach24
30th March 2008, 23:16
Also a good showing by Lorenzo but if we're honest the bloke is the biggest **** on the grid, a complete ####.

I think your comments regarding Lorenzo are uncalled for. He is a 20 year old admired by millions, yeah he has an ego, apart from his talent on the bike it is probably what got him where he is.

I think he has behaved admirably so far in 2008.

The Phantom
31st March 2008, 00:37
Casey......... well, the first was his fault, the second Nakano's...... but all in all a poor result considering he could have been top 5 without the errors. Shows what a little doubt can do.

Agreed, Nakano was a bit silly under brakes and forced Stoner wide. Stoner sure struggles at Jerez, but this result will go down as a statistical anomoly once he can open up on other racetracks.

Great to see Hayden running strongly, also bodes well for other racetracks as he too goes best on fast flowing circuits.

Kudos (again) to JT.

Feeling a bit sorry for Melandri but he did make up some places.

31st March 2008, 02:21
I think your comments regarding Lorenzo are uncalled for. He is a 20 year old admired by millions, yeah he has an ego, apart from his talent on the bike it is probably what got him where he is.

I agree, and I never thought I'd say this but I'm gaining respect for him all round. I can't see any issues on or off the track and he and Rossi looked very relaxed watching the 125 start together.

maxu05
31st March 2008, 04:42
I must also agree, Heehaw has been a model racer so far this year, and doing a great job. Dissapointed with Shinya, as he is one of my favourite racers, but, I think all of the top guys have been a little over ambitious at times, so I think it was just a one off. Great to see Rossi back on the podium, and Dani was just pure class, even though I don't like the guy, credit where it's due. It will only get more interesting as the year goes on IMO.

leopard
31st March 2008, 05:32
It’s foreseeable that aggressive move of Simonceli endangered Bautista. I think Bautista have made some gesture about it. I’d rather agree to opinion said it was purely his guilty, those behind others have better foresight than those in front looking at back. Where was he from? :)

I wish strong battle between the two Spaniards from different bike, but once Rossi interceded them and ‘hold Lorenzo at bay’ for several laps I decided to go out dinner before the race finished.

Despite having early exit, I saw Honda LCR appeared in color differ to previous color of Qatar. Checa might have used the color, but I think I like more this one. Let’s compare.
http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/414285.jpg
http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/420995.jpg
Courtesy crash.net

tha_jackal
31st March 2008, 08:42
As far as racing quality goes, the battle involving Capirossi, Dovi, Toseland, CV etc was the class act of the field IMO..

The 125 race was the pick of the bunch for mine, good to see Bradley and Polaris getting their acts together.

The 250cc Simoncelli/Bautista outcome was coming from a mile away, although i was gutted for Marco, he really deserved a podium or win.. I've heard that Bautista's bike actually seized causing it to pull up and result in Simoncelli having no where to go, the outcome? Both riders man-hugging in the gravel trap..

I was stoked for Kallio though, mainly because he's in my fantasy team :D

It'll also be interesting to see how the next two days of testing go. It'll be a good indicator to see if teams can make some progress, especially Kawasaki/Dántin Ducati ..

leopard
31st March 2008, 08:53
The track is wide enough, he can go anywhere :)

This is for any riders to learn, be careful when fighting a position against him.

leopard
31st March 2008, 08:55
The 250cc race was real drama and was really very entertaining. The Moto GP race... to me, Casey in Jerez was eerily similar to Kimi Raikkonen in Melbourne and I hope that he will be able to strike back in the next race, as Kimi did in Sepang.

Yep, the difference Casey's teammate is still struggling ;)

F1boat
31st March 2008, 10:13
Yep, the difference Casey's teammate is still struggling ;)

Well, Massa is not exactly brilliant either ;)

osg
31st March 2008, 11:07
I've heard that Bautista's bike actually seized causing it to pull up and result in Simoncelli having no where to go,

watched the race again over dinner jackal...... and you can see Alvaro prop and sit up just before Simoncelli reams him....... so the rumors seem to hold truth to my eyes and observations anyways...

MrJan
31st March 2008, 13:16

Certainly good on the track but there is just something about the look of the bloke that I don't like, most likely down to that Lolly he's always got. To be honest most racers have a bit of an ego problem and the old phrase 'nice guys finish last' is quite often accurate.

Maybe my comments were a little over the top but I just think he's got a bit of a punchable face :p :

patnicholls
31st March 2008, 13:32
The lolly is down to him being sponsored by Chupa-Chups... (seriously)

MrJan
31st March 2008, 13:44
I saw that he was sponsored by them but thought it came from him sucking the lolly to begin with, a chicken egg situation if you like.

Surely anyone who signs a contract that requires him to suck a childs sweet at the end of each race deserves a bit of a slap. Pleasseeee ;) :p : :D

NinjaMaster
31st March 2008, 13:55
Well, I really enjoyed all the races. MotoGP wasn't a classic race with Pedrosa winning as I expected (but in more dominating fashion) and the battle for 2nd was interesting. I kept waiting for Lorenzo to find his pace and have a crack at Vale but he never got strong enough to mount a challenge. I would have fallen off my chair laughing if Rossi had have stopped enough at the start of the last lap and let Jorge through for 2nd! :laugh:
Hayden rode well and his first corner save was a ripper, nearly as good as Edwards practice one. Speaking of which, that save obviously used up all of Colin's luck for the weekend with a crash in the race.
The battle for 5th was exciting with rider's going every which way in the final corner. Props to JT for riding crook and it's good to see him really proving he belongs in MotoGP. I was really happy to see Hopkins getting stronger and the Kwak looking on the up and Dovi was much stronger than his qualifying position indicated.
Westy was much improved and whilst hardly setting the world on fire or getting anywhere near where he wants to be, it was some steady progress in the right direction for him.
Finally, Stoner just had a shocker of a weekend but it was one weekend at his worst performed track. He will bounce back.
And King Carlos making Lorenzo and Pedrosa shake hands was funny as hell! :rotflmao:

You know, I had been nervous about Simoncelli throwing it up the road all race but when it happened to me it really looked only to be a racing incident. Marco looked like he had really commited to pushing really hard through the sweeper to have a crack at Bautista at the end of the straight but Bautsta looked to make a small mistake so to hear that Bautista's bike stopped leaving Marco an unfortunate participant makes sense. It was a shame because it had been such a great race and it was the best, most in control I've seen Marco ride for a long time. Simoncelli really looked to be carrying a lot more speed than Alvaro through the corners but Bautista had him down the straights.
Perhaps this is a sign of a change of luck for Mika? He seems to cop that bit of bad luck every year that costs him a chance at the title. In fact all on the podium have had their share of bad luck with Pasini obviously having a torrid time of things mechanically last year and Takahashi (GO YUKI!!!) finally fit from a horrendous broken leg.

The 125 race was ok but certainly not the typical race we have come to expect from this category. Corsi was a class act and Terol did well in front of his home crowd but it was the fight for 3rd that was the highlight of the race. Smith and Bradl are real talents for the future and fought really hard and I was impressed by Stevie Bonsey's ride (an American in the tiddler classes is a very rare thing) to 6th place.
I feel so sorry for reigning champ Talmacsi who still has no points in the defence of his title after breaking down again to make it 2 from 2. Hopefully that is the end of the bad luck for him for the year.

maxu05
31st March 2008, 16:32
I love your posts Jan, especially the punchable face and the slap part. Perhaps the King Carlos could entice you and Heehaw to have a big hug :D

KimCo
31st March 2008, 16:56
Re Simoncelli Autosport link (I hope).
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66241

Roby44
31st March 2008, 22:06
Agreed, Nakano was a bit silly under brakes and forced Stoner wide. Stoner sure struggles at Jerez, but this result will go down as a statistical anomoly once he can open up on other racetracks.

Stoner won the BMW at this same track didn't he??? He didn't struggle that day!! ;)

patnicholls
31st March 2008, 23:28
The Loris/JT/Dovi/Hopper/Chris V battle in the main race was the best bit, the front four were a little static but it was a very impressive display by Dani and Valentino.

The 250s were my favourite race, although it was incredibly unlucky for Alvaro and Marco after Alvaro's engine let go. The ride of that was probably Yuki Takahashi on one of only two Hondas (and Hondas at the end of development)- he's really proving he's still got it after those bad injuries at the end of 2006 and last year kept him off form. Mattia Pasini is also putting his bad luck of 2007 behind him in some style and Mika Kallio's had a decent start too - well done to them.

The 125 race was a little odd with it not being quite as exciting as usual, and to see Nico Terol up there and finish second (previous best finish of 7th in 2006) was a pleasant surprise- he's now got more points than the whole of his 2007. Bradley getting a podium was decent - hopefully he can get a win this year (the last British GP win was Jeremy McWilliams in the 250s in 2001 in the wet...and before that, it was in the eighties). Mind you, my boy Scott Redding might beat him to that win - he's pretty handy considering his GP career is just two races old.

Overall, a decent set of races in front of an excellent and passionate crowd (132,000 people on race day)

JETFX...
1st April 2008, 01:42
Congrats to Dani he did what he does best..... "scamper"
I feel for Casey though with having to struggle with the woefully handling Duc, although his efforts went pretty much near unrewarded its definetely a good thing longer term for he and Ducati this occuring now and at only the second race. I doubt we will see a repeat performance such as that from Ducati ;)

I still cant get over the fact that Marco is still struggling like he is on the Duc??? last year he was only lacking HRC's superior HP keeping him from being always right at the pointy end, clearly a better rider than Dani and Nicky in my opinion especially on a damp track!!! so whats the story with the Ducati/Marco then....

The most telling point to me personally that came from Jerez was just how much Ducati have only themselves to blame if/when things go wrong? Casey and the #1 Ducati/Bridgestone clearly have the race measure of the rest when their dialled in. Watch out for the "Revenge of the red Jedi" race in Estoril :vader:

leopard
1st April 2008, 03:54
Hehehe, apologizing wouldn't always mean that he was the one to blame, only the big soul who want to apologize and can accept someone else's apologies.

That's good that all things cleared up, none of them have serious injuries. In many cases those being hit are usually injured more because of not having sufficient avoidance. The bike was that close befallen on Alvaro.

If not mistaken we also had the aggressive Dovi in seasons backward, driving at the front at the cost of a driver, Lorenzo iirc. Then he got punished not being allowed in subsequent race thereafter.
I think Biaggi's crash at second race of AUS sbk because of having to avoid hitting Nieto.

tha_jackal
1st April 2008, 08:33
Westy was much improved and whilst hardly setting the world on fire or getting anywhere near where he wants to be, it was some steady progress in the right direction for him.

How good was Westy's massive tyre smoker round one of the quicker corners :eek: Laid down a massive blacky! Def can't accuse the man of not trying, maybe he hasn't quite got the hang of traction control yet either!

NinjaMaster
1st April 2008, 08:39
How good was Westy's massive tyre smoker round one of the quicker corners :eek: Laid down a massive blacky! Def can't accuse the man of not trying, maybe he hasn't quite got the hang of traction control yet either!
It was a ripper wasn't it! :up: He mentioned after the race that the front end was pretty right now, they just need more traction. Perhaps he just needs to learn to give the throttle a twist rather than a snap! :) At least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Mach24
1st April 2008, 10:01
Certainly good on the track but there is just something about the look of the bloke that I don't like, most likely down to that Lolly he's always got.

Next thing he might pretend to be a 'Doctor' or something silly..........

leopard
1st April 2008, 10:25
What happens with the look, he had it since he was born.

Roby44
1st April 2008, 11:18
This is probably not the right thread to ask but..

I heard the commentators on Fox saying that one of the riders in the 125 I think it was had started in a MotoGP spot on the grid and not where he should have.

Now IF this was true WHY did he not get a ride through like Ant did last year!

jim mcglinchey
1st April 2008, 11:36
Jeez, you Aussies are really obsessed with that guy!

maxu05
1st April 2008, 12:05

I'm sure if it was an Irishman on the green bike, you would be quite exited Jim, and just think, the bike would be all set for St Patricks Day :D

Roby44
1st April 2008, 12:17

Obsessed!! Me!! Obsessed!! Never!! Have you been talking to my husband!! He thinks that too!!

Why didn't he get the same treatment though..What's good for one rider should be good for another..
I would ask the sameif it were...Oh say..Jeremy McWilliams..Bradley Smith.. ;)

Can't think of any other Britsih/ Irish riders!! :p

patnicholls
1st April 2008, 13:15
This is probably not the right thread to ask but..

I heard the commentators on Fox saying that one of the riders in the 125 I think it was had started in a MotoGP spot on the grid and not where he should have.

Now IF this was true WHY did he not get a ride through like *** did last year!

Yep, this is the right thread to ask - it is the Jerez thread even though it looks like a certain rider's thread again :p

Raffaele de Rosa was in a MotoGP grid slot - i.e about half a metre across from where he should have been but he wasn't any further forward or back. Can't remember the situation last year with the other rider, so can't comment on that. But it didn't have any impact on the race this time, so doesn't seem worth dwelling on. de Rosa probably got a quiet word in the ear to be more careful next time!

maxu05
1st April 2008, 14:29
I do recall that old Shakey had quite a following in his day :D

jim mcglinchey
1st April 2008, 19:33
I'm sure if it was an Irishman on the green bike, you would be quite exited Jim, and just think, the bike would be all set for St Patricks Day :D

Does Eugene Laverty still actually compete in the 250s ? I havent heard him mentioned for a while.

patnicholls
1st April 2008, 20:06
Eugene Laverty is still in 250s yeah - he's with the Blusens Aprilia team who traditionally have been one of the top privateer outfits in 250s. However, it's not going too well so far - the team have expanded to run a two-bike 125 effort as well for Scott Redding and Efren Vazquez, and the 125 squad's getting most of the attention and newer (2007) bikes.

[incidentally, if Scott Redding was an Aussie, he'd have his own thread already on this forum. Two GPs competed in: a fifth place within a whisker of a podium and scoring fastest lap first time out, and a very decent seventh place on Sunday]

Anyway, Eugene and his 250 team-mate Manuel Hernandez have been given some 'antique' machinery - Eugene's chassis is apparently Tetsuya Harada's 1998 one which is obviously ancient history in terms of competitiveness. Things weren't helped by Eugene crashing and taking Manuel out on the first lap at Qatar, mind you. Unfortunate really, he's not likely to get much out of this season and could be getting better results and reputation in BSB or WSS [my thoughts on this are in the 'Career Progression' thread from a few months ago].

--------------

Shakey still does have a decent following - and he's got a decent shot at the BSB title this year with Airwaves Ducati (who non-BSB watchers may remember as GSE Ducati, running Neil Hodgson, James Toseland and Chris Walker during their time in WSB then Greg Lavilla and Leon Haslam in BSB recently).

Roby44
1st April 2008, 22:13
Does Eugene Laverty still actually compete in the 250s ? I havent heard him mentioned for a while.

Yes he does!! He gets a mention on Fox here every race!! The commentators we have, Gavin Emmet and Nick Harris , love to mention the British riders at every opportunatity they get!! Well it sems that way at least. And now they have George doing the pit commentating he also interviews mostlt English riders.
Although I didn't mind them talking about Shakey Byrne or Mcwilliams as I liked those riders too.

Roby44
1st April 2008, 22:15
Yep, this is the right thread to ask - it is the Jerez thread even though it looks like a certain rider's thread again :p

Raffaele de Rosa was in a MotoGP grid slot - i.e about half a metre across from where he should have been but he wasn't any further forward or back. Can't remember the situation last year with the other rider, so can't comment on that. But it didn't have any impact on the race this time, so doesn't seem worth dwelling on. de Rosa probably got a quiet word in the ear to be more careful next time!

Sepang >Motogp wrong spot Got ride thru!! ;)

1st April 2008, 22:33
Anyone know what happened to de P? Nothing on screen and no update from the commentators other than they thought he had come off. :(

1st April 2008, 22:45
Maybe my comments were a little over the top but I just think he's got a bit of a punchable face :p :

I think he looks a bit like Shia LaBeouf.

NinjaMaster
2nd April 2008, 09:29
[incidentally, if Scott Redding was an Aussie, he'd have his own thread already on this forum. Two GPs competed in: a fifth place within a whisker of a podium and scoring fastest lap first time out, and a very decent seventh place on Sunday]

Who's fault is that? You poms are always complaining about the lack of support British riders get when the fans won't even support their own! :D

Roby44
2nd April 2008, 09:33
We haven't started a Chris thread... :rolleyes: ;) Yet!!

NinjaMaster
2nd April 2008, 09:35
Yes he does!! He gets a mention on Fox here every race!! The commentators we have, Gavin Emmet and Nick Harris , love to mention the British riders at every opportunatity they get!! Well it sems that way at least. And now they have George doing the pit commentating he also interviews mostlt English riders.
Although I didn't mind them talking about Shakey Byrne or Mcwilliams as I liked those riders too.

In fairness to them, Harris particularly, they love to mention riders from the 'empire' I think. West and 22 year old Australian, Casey Stoner, always got a good mention when they came through the tiddler classes.

Anyone know what happened to de P? Nothing on screen and no update from the commentators other than they thought he had come off. :(

He crashed (surprise, surprise). I noticed that someone was missing early on and never really worked it out (I must hold a grudge from his wasting the Kwak last year and blocked him out of my mind!). And just on that topic, the telecast was pretty ordinary. It seems that they had footage of riders in the kitty litter but missed nearly all the crashes as they happened except the Bautista/Simoncelli one.

maxu05
2nd April 2008, 14:16

You can probably find info on Randy in an Off Road magazine :D

The Phantom
2nd April 2008, 15:10

Ouch! :p

Roby44
2nd April 2008, 21:59

Poor Randy!!!

He could probably be the centrefold but I hate to think where that staple would go!! :eek:

AndyRAC
2nd April 2008, 23:18
In fairness to them, Harris particularly, they love to mention riders from the 'empire' I think. West and 22 year old Australian, Casey Stoner, always got a good mention when they came through the tiddler classes.

He crashed (surprise, surprise). I noticed that someone was missing early on and never really worked it out (I must hold a grudge from his wasting the Kwak last year and blocked him out of my mind!). And just on that topic, the telecast was pretty ordinary. It seems that they had footage of riders in the kitty litter but missed nearly all the crashes as they happened except the Bautista/Simoncelli one.

If we don't have any Brits to support then our Aussie cousins will do. And Stoner did live over here when competing in British 125cc.

MrJan
2nd April 2008, 23:32
I've never really been someone who will support someone just because they are British. I suppose because I always thought Damon Hill, NIgel Mansell and Foggy were idiots I never developed a patriotic stance.

That said I do now follow JT and Hamilton, Toseland because he's such a good guy and Lewis because I've known he was a great talent for years.

3rd April 2008, 09:28
I'm very surprised that Randy crashed, most unusual ;) . Did you Aussie lot put a hex on him because I said West was average. Truce?

Roby44
3rd April 2008, 10:46
I'm very surprised that Randy crashed, most unusual ;) . Did you Aussie lot put a hex on him because I said West was average. Truce?

Would we do something like that!! :)

jens
3rd April 2008, 20:46
Suzukis and Kawasakis looked better than in Qatar! :up: In the title battle it looks like we have four guys left, who should have a realistic chance.

I wonder, how long will it take before Melandri and Elias will start thinking about riding another bike next season... And who would have the bravery to join Ducati? :p :