PDA

View Full Version : Jacques Villneuve joins Speedcar

grantb4
29th March 2008, 18:02
I wasn't really sure what forum to use for this, but...

http://www.speedcarseries.com/news/index.php?newsid=101

janneppi
29th March 2008, 18:08
Moved to history section.

JJ Lehto also drives the series, he was asked to drive last weekend's race when he was strolling the paddocs as a commentator for the Finnish F1 broadcast.
JJ said the cars were horrible to drive and as he had no own race gear with he had to borrow in someone elses overalls and shoes, which were too small.

grantb4
29th March 2008, 18:16
I don't know why History. It's a brand new series. Kind of a NASCAR knock-off.

ArrowsFA1
30th March 2008, 12:17
Certainly big news for the Speedcar series, but it looks as if JV is seeing it as a means to an end i.e. getting back to NASCAR.

trumperZ06
30th March 2008, 15:12
;) Interesting that JV indicates this series will enable him to gain experience running a Cup type car on a road course.

:dozey: That said... Bahrain is a loooong ways from Charlotte, North Carolina... the home of most NA$CAR teams.

markabilly
30th March 2008, 15:14
GRAND RACING EVENTS
Speedcar Series will form part of the Grand Racing events featuring exciting 2-day race meetings in partnership with GP2 Asia.
The Grand Racing events will feature more than 6 hours of combined racing action offering spectators a similarly thrilling program on both Race Day 1 and Race Day 2.
Tough competition, cheering crowds, globally renowned drivers, action-packed events, an audience of billions and millions of dollars in prize money – it’s a whole new level of motorsports excitement from the region, for the region. The inaugural SPEEDCAR Series Championship will start its annual tour on the grid in November 2007 and accelerate across several countries, spanning the Middle East, Asia and Australasia. Featuring 24 drivers competing in identical V8 620bhp stock cars, deliberately lacking electronic driver aids – meaning the racing is close, exciting and thrilling for TV and trackside spectators.

Legendary Formula One champions fighting high calibre international drivers and young, upcoming aces, for the SPEEDCAR Series Championship title - pushing limits in numerous exciting races, across several thrilling events. All drivers primed for the challenge as they fix their sights on the chequered flag. The SPEEDCAR Series brings unique motorsports entertainment that will enthral spectators in these regions.

Jean Alesi, Johnny Herbert, Gianni Morbidelli, Narain Karthikeyan and Stefan Johansson, to name but a few, join Speedcar Series entertaining fans over the 2-day race events featuring the following racing action

markabilly
30th March 2008, 15:17
Certainly big news for the Speedcar series, but it looks as if JV is seeing it as a means to an end i.e. getting back to NASCAR.
Nastycar don't really want him, he is too french,

have you not seen "Tallegooday nites" and just who do you think was a certain role model for a certain role in the movie...........

Tom206wrc
31st March 2008, 18:41
I can't wait for Jacques Villeneuve getting in the 908 for Le Mans race gain this year ;)

Roamy
1st April 2008, 07:31
frentzen has now joined speedcar as well - looks to be a good series

Jv back to Neckcar at mexico in the second rate bus - nationwide. probably back in cup after leMans. or if sooner he won't scrap LeMans now!!

wedge
1st April 2008, 14:52
I saw the first races on youtube.

They're giving NASCAR a bad name. No wonder Bernie bought into it....

Garry Walker
3rd April 2008, 13:00
J.J. Lehto took part in the speedcar race and called the series a joke.

ShiftingGears
4th April 2008, 13:57
It's a bit like preparing for Formula One by racing a go-kart.

Good luck to him...

Tom206wrc
7th May 2008, 11:58
Please, don't forget to follow Jacques Villeneuve(and Alexander Wurz!!)at the 1000km of SPA, LeManSeries round this week-end !!! Not many people go on the endurance/racing section of this forum unfortuneately... :rolleyes:

AAReagles
11th May 2008, 01:19
Nastycar don't really want him, he is too french,

SMASHCAR also has a policy that a driver's name must not be so long that it interferes/overlaps with the $pon$ors title. ;)

Please, don't forget to follow Jacques Villeneuve(and Alexander Wurz!!)at the 1000km of SPA, LeManSeries round this week-end !!! Not many people go on the endurance/racing section of this forum unfortuneately...

:up: Excellent news!

Though I must admit, as you suggested, I am guilty of not keeping up with the sports car series very well. :s ad:

BDunnell
11th May 2008, 01:41
Please, don't forget to follow Jacques Villeneuve(and Alexander Wurz!!)at the 1000km of SPA, LeManSeries round this week-end !!! Not many people go on the endurance/racing section of this forum unfortuneately... :rolleyes:

I very much hope that more of their ex-F1 ilk go down the sportscar route, for while there are some very talented drivers within its ranks anyway, the scene really needs such big names to gain more public recognition.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 01:48
Wurz for the win!!!

Tom206wrc
11th May 2008, 09:51
Live-streaming of the 1000km of SPA that start early this afternoon(12.50) :)

http://www.race-rally.be/2008/1000km2008/multimedia/streaming/silverlight/live/

PSfan
11th May 2008, 21:49
Congrats to JV and the whole Peugeot team on their win!!! :)

Tom206wrc
12th May 2008, 12:11
Yeah, great win :bounce:

Looks quite good for the Le Mans race next month :p :

Big disappointment for Wurz crash :(

Bagwan
12th May 2008, 21:50
He's probably not good enough for NASCAR .

Nice win JV and crew .
It's been 11 years , and it feels rather sweet .

Bring on the 24 hrs .
Then , bring on the sponsors .

Where's that cowboy ? He should have a word or 2 to say about this .
Fousto , you there ?

call_me_andrew
13th May 2008, 08:07
I saw the first races on youtube.

They're giving NASCAR a bad name. No wonder Bernie bought into it....

I've seen a few highlights and it didn't look that bad.