28th March 2008, 23:54
No Carpenter is second Quattro third :eek:

!!WALDO!!
28th March 2008, 23:55
No Carpenter is second Quattro third :eek:

I was trying to delete it.

LuigiStone
28th March 2008, 23:55
Go Vision Racing. Poor PT. He could have been in that car.

Lousada
28th March 2008, 23:56
okay double thread :p It's great that there is another team that can challenge the big 3.
Also great run by Roth! It's really competitive so far.

Lousada
28th March 2008, 23:59
I was trying to delete it.

No problem, I wanted to post the same until I realized Carpenter still had to go.
Great start from Vision. Hopefully they can challenge the big 3 this season.

ezhop7
29th March 2008, 00:08
We'll see on raceday how long the Vision cars can stay at the front, hopefully Aj FoytIV can run with the big dawgs, but Like AJ says its only pays on race day.

Sort of strange that Jay Howard didn't just put the car into the show like all of the former Champcar guys did.

gofastandwynn
29th March 2008, 00:15
We'll see on raceday how long the Vision cars can stay at the front, hopefully Aj FoytIV can run with the big dawgs, but Like AJ says its only pays on race day.

Sort of strange that Jay Howard didn't just put the car into the show like all of the former Champcar guys did.

Jay was in the top 5 in the last practice session. As I said before, Roth put a ton of cash into his team this year and Jay was going for the top 10.

Placid
29th March 2008, 01:02
I wished Indy Car should have incorporated the Paddles very sooner. America will have their series back.

ShiftingGears
29th March 2008, 01:05
I wished Indy Car should have incorporated the Paddles very sooner. America will have their series back.

Whats wrong with the H-pattern?

Civic
29th March 2008, 01:52
I thought they have I-pattern sequentials like the previous Champ Cars?

Hoop-98
29th March 2008, 01:56
I thought they have I-pattern sequentials like the previous Champ Cars?

They did...since 2000 :)

rh

downtowndeco
29th March 2008, 02:44
Hey. Where are those guys who I bet that Ed would outpace 90% of the CC guys this year? True, the season is young....

garyshell
29th March 2008, 03:54
Hey. Where are those guys who I bet that Ed would outpace 90% of the CC guys this year? True, the season is young....

I had a feeling I would hear about this. He really did look good. But still hasn't earned any points yet. <big ol' grin>

Gary

Wilf
29th March 2008, 03:59

A wise man once said something about the best laugh is had by the the guy who does it last. As you said the season is early, but when John Menard threw some money into the pot, Larry Curry worked some magic on the cars. They should be tough this year. Let's just hope sales are good at Menards and they can continue to improve the cars.

There is something ironic about Larry Curry again being responsible for the excellent showing of the Menards car.

DBell
29th March 2008, 04:17
Looking at the times, it looks like a long year for former CC teams on ovals. I hope they can be more competative on road races. I know it's the first race, but they are in Milka teritory.

garyshell
29th March 2008, 04:57
Looking at the times, it looks like a long year for former CC teams on ovals. I hope they can be more competative on road races. I know it's the first race, but they are in Milka teritory.

There is qualifying and then there is racing. Lets see how they perform in the latter.

Gary

DazzlaF1
29th March 2008, 13:15

I think it'll be 2009 or the introduction of a new chassis that will see more of an equal playing field.

Excellent performance from Marty Roth though, getting into the top 10 outqualifying the likes of Hunter-Reay, Meira, Rice and Manning

downtowndeco
29th March 2008, 14:57
I had a feeling I would hear about this. He really did look good. But still hasn't earned any points yet. <big ol' grin>

Gary

I'm just yanking your chain a bit. Yes, it is a long season & in the end, the CC drivers will probably do pretty good. I guess my point was for all the grief Ed gets he still has 4 or 5 seasons of oval experience over many of the CC guys.

bblocker68
29th March 2008, 16:00
Dont expect the CC guys to be half-way decent on ovals until after Indy. There are "magical" tweaks that will give the car .2 or .3 a lap. That little of a margin makes a huge difference and the IndyCar teams have had the chassis for 5 years. It takes a little time, but I hope the CC teams can find more speed soon.

And BTW, I really miss not seeing PT out there :(

nanders
29th March 2008, 16:09
Dont expect the CC guys to be half-way decent on ovals until after Indy. There are "magical" tweaks that will give the car .2 or .3 a lap. That little of a margin makes a huge difference and the IndyCar teams have had the chassis for 5 years. It takes a little time, but I hope the CC teams can find more speed soon.

And BTW, I really miss not seeing PT out there :(

That Allmendinger guy should be out here too.

Hoop-98
29th March 2008, 16:17
I expect some good results in St Pete and a number will run well at indy. Just getting where they are is a miracle, the partner thing seems to have helped.

rh

garyshell
29th March 2008, 16:19
I'm just yanking your chain a bit. Yes, it is a long season & in the end, the CC drivers will probably do pretty good. I guess my point was for all the grief Ed gets he still has 4 or 5 seasons of oval experience over many of the CC guys.

Not to worry, 'twas all taken in fun. Ready for the RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

garyshell
29th March 2008, 16:28
That Allmendinger guy should be out here too.

Allmen...who??? Oh, you mean that NASCAR back marker, can't make the race, now out of a ride guy?

Gary

nanders
29th March 2008, 16:39
Allmen...who??? Oh, you mean that NASCAR back marker, can't make the race, now out of a ride guy?

Gary

He'll be back. IMO

Mark in Oshawa
29th March 2008, 16:54

Gary
Gary, Mike Skinner has said that he is getting the team figured out FOR AJ. Now some fail to believe this, but when Skinner is complaining about the same issues with the team and car and AJ was, it is likely AJ maybe isn't the problem and that was why Skinner was brought in. He isn't coming back to the Indy world just yet.

There...after that NASCAR moment, lets bring on the IRL season.....

First off, standing on it for 4 laps at Homestead and doing it for a whole race are two different things. I looked at the qualifying results and realized two things. One, the CC teams had a lot of learning to do and are still learning it. Oval racing is 80% set up, and when you are racing guys who have had the cars basically for 5 years, you are going to struggle. When Marty Roth is ahead of all the CC teams, I know damn well that it wont continue. Also note some of the great talent behind Vision in the qualfying. Is anyone in their right mind going to tell me Vision and their boys are going to outperform Penske? REALLY? Carpenter and the Foyt gene pool were awful a few years back, so it is nice to see them running well, but Helio, Dan, Briscoe and Kanaan aren't going to worrying about these guys for a championship, believe me.

BobbyC
29th March 2008, 17:36
Also helping is the IRL's new 4-lap qualifying format. It was exactly what the IRL expected would happen.

A driver made three good laps but missed on lap four.

Dixon 1:40.2341
Carpenter 1:40.2482

The four-lap system almost gives qualifying a road-racing feel that the "lap time" of four laps matters. The fact it came down to .0141 seconds was what Tony wanted -- drivers who can turn four laps. In midgets and sprints drivers must turn 8-10 laps in a heat race.

gofastandwynn
29th March 2008, 20:55
This just in:

Both Vision cars had their runs DQ'ed for failing post race tech, will start from the back of the pack.

DazzlaF1
29th March 2008, 21:30
This just in:

Both Vision cars had their runs DQ'ed for failing post race tech, will start from the back of the pack.

Ah so thats why they looked good in qualifying

Placid
29th March 2008, 21:48
Vision will need a miracle to get into the front.

!!WALDO!!
29th March 2008, 23:12
This just in:

How can that be? Tony owns Vision, Tony owns the IRL, Tony pays the officials and his cars get DQed.

There is your Olive Branch.