PDA

View Full Version : The story of Gary Hocking

FIA
27th March 2008, 23:13
Gary Hocking was a well respected Motorcycle Champion from Rhodesia, who retired after his good friend Tom Phillis was killed in the 1962 Isle Of Mann TT. He then entered Formula One, where he was killed in one week before his debut race at the 1962 South African Grand Prix in a Lotus at Westmead. I feel that he should be recognised by Formula One fans as he would have made his F1 Debut for sure.

http://www.prisonpotpourri.com/Sport/Hocking/Gary_Hocking.html

Also, I wondered if there was any other drivers who were going to make their debut, but didn't for any reason or any drivers who were killed in a F1 Car who are not recognised?

V12
28th March 2008, 01:03
Off the top of my head Jean-Luc Salomon was due to make his debut in a third Lotus at the French Grand Prix (1970?) but was killed shortly before in a finish-line slipstreaming accident in the F3 race at Rouen won by James Hunt. I'm sure there's bound to be one or two more...

GJD
28th March 2008, 08:30
Off the top of my head Jean-Luc Salomon was due to make his debut in a third Lotus at the French Grand Prix (1970?) but was killed shortly before in a finish-line slipstreaming accident in the F3 race at Rouen won by James Hunt. I'm sure there's bound to be one or two more...

Ah, so you're not dead then! I think some people would appreciate your presence here. Post #238 to be specific. (http://forums.motorsport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112569&page=12)

Vitesse
29th March 2008, 11:48
I also thought of Salomon, who was a contemporary and rival of Jean Max in F3.

But my first thought was Timmy Mayer, killed at Longford in 1964. He was due to drive for Cooper alongside Bruce McLaren in the 1964 season: Bruce had taken him to the Tasman races in preparation.

AAReagles
7th April 2008, 21:00
Gary Hocking... I feel that he should be recognised by Formula One fans as he would have made his F1 Debut for sure.
:up: Indeed.

Also, I wondered if there was any other drivers who were going to make their debut, but didn't for any reason or any drivers who were killed in a F1 Car who are not recognised?

Being located here stateside, I'm afraid that at the moment I can only think of two american drivers - Rex Mays & Bill Vukovich.

Mays had raced against GP regulars during the 1937 Vanderbilt Cup (New York), finished 3rd and recieved praise from Tazio Nuvolari. He gave some thought of the possibility of going overseas venues, however WWII and his interests in the open wheel series in america outweighed any inclination to attempt GP racing. He was killed during a 1949 race in California.

Vukovich was recommended to give GP racing a try. It is my understanding his interests for the stateside series was his preference (enjoyed success with a good team/family was not too far away), though he had never dismissed the possibility of GP racing. He was killed while leading the 1955 Indianapolis 500.