PDA

View Full Version : interesting snippet #2

acorn
17th January 2007, 13:11
from today's motorsport news

"i'm also considering pick-ups and will use the new engine(mountune/haird ford duratec) in the pick-up too"

and the man who said this.... ARNIE ARNOLD(former ford saloon championship front runner)

it doesn't actually say WHICH pick-up series but i'm guessing it's the rockingham style rather than the RTS variety.

pickup
17th January 2007, 13:39
from today's motorsport news

"i'm also considering pick-ups and will use the new engine(mountune/haird ford duratec) in the pick-up too"

and the man who said this.... ARNIE ARNOLD(former ford saloon championship front runner)

it doesn't actually say WHICH pick-up series but i'm guessing it's the rockingham style rather than the RTS variety.

I to saw this article and the one thing i noticed was the intended use of the Duratec engine which is not at the moment a permitted engine for the series, so unless he knows something we dont he'd better get a Zetec or Vauxhall.
It seems par for the course at the moment that things are changed without anybody connected with the series being informed and we are left to find out via other websites, motoring publications, or on this forum!

Dave17
17th January 2007, 18:16
Would'nt it be sound practice for the Pickups to adopt the Duratec as Ford are pushing it hard in FFord?

acorn
17th January 2007, 18:30
if the ford unit proves to be fit for purpose (ie powerful,reliable and reasonably priced) and ford are willing to pump some money into the series i see no reason not to adopt it. on the other hand if the current powerplants are reliable, reasonably priced and still in good supply why force drivers to give up their investments.

deadsquirrel
17th January 2007, 18:58
I to saw this article and the one thing i noticed was the intended use of the Duratec engine which is not at the moment a permitted engine for the series, so unless he knows something we dont he'd better get a Zetec or Vauxhall.

Maybe there is something similar to National Hot Rod 'experimental' engines going on here. Would be a good way for an engine to be tested over a season by someone who won't object to not scoring points. Just my twopenneth

deadsquirrel
17th January 2007, 19:08
Reading a bit more about this one, Arnold has teamed up with Haird Motorsport (bighitters in National Hot Rods) to run Hot Rods also. Barry Lee is also linked to Haird, and ran that beautiful Fiesta at Ovalfest - with an experimental Ford engine in.

pickup
17th January 2007, 19:15
I think the Duratec used in FF is in standard tune, i believe there are only two or three people using the Zetec in the trucks mainly due to the price of tuning parts for the Ford being more expensive than the Vauxhall.I would assume with the Duratec being a relatively new engine the tuning parts again would be dearer.
ISTR that the Duratec responds very well to similar tuning methods allready used in the allowed engines and would probably produce more power than existing engines and if allowed in would push people into using them to remain competative. With existing engines costing in the region of 6000 to 10000pounds this would possibly be more for a Duratec, so as Acorn said if "the current powerplants are reliable, reasonably priced and still in good supply why force drivers to give up their investments."
Allways a tricky situation changing major rules in a series that is allready sucessfull with the existing regulations.

pickup
17th January 2007, 19:36
Maybe there is something similar to National Hot Rod 'experimental' engines going on here. Would be a good way for an engine to be tested over a season by someone who won't object to not scoring points. Just my twopenneth

Quite possibly, but as i said further on in that post IF it is correct it would be nice to hear it from the pickup office rather than an article in MN.
All will be revealed on Sunday.

pickup
21st January 2007, 16:41
Here i sit fresh from our pre-season meeting with the 2007 rule book in hand engine regs are Vauxhall 2.0 litre C20XE, Ford Zetec 2.0 litre and no mention of Duratec even experimental.