Kubica

Trulli

Kimi pit passing Massa has become predictable and tiresome

markabilly
23rd March 2008, 21:31
kube.....and NH for starting fifth and finishing sixth.........lol

pettersolberg29
23rd March 2008, 21:48
Perhaps not driver of the GP, as markabilly says, but my input for driver of the year so far is Nick Heidfeld.
Joint 2nd after two races is great, and without a bad first 5 corners in Malaysia, and setting a fastest lap late on, NH could have been on the podium with Kubica.
I predict this partnership if continued next year could win the championship - what about other views?

ten-tenths
23rd March 2008, 22:02
i would say it is kimi, he outlasted what was a two man race between him and massa. i guess trading fastest laps lap after lap with your teamate had to be grueling. once massa saw kimi emerge ahead of him after the first round of pitstops, mentally he probably checked out.

jarno, hekki and kubiza were impressive as well. too bad hamilton had that miscue during his stop.

Valve Bounce
23rd March 2008, 22:28
Kimi - he simply did what was required, going fast when necessary, and drove a faultless race.

Reminded me of SchM.

yodasarmpit
23rd March 2008, 23:03
Like Hamilton in the last race it has to be Kimi this time, he was faultless.

pino
23rd March 2008, 23:11
Kimi for me :up:

Cozzie
23rd March 2008, 23:37
Kubica surprised me and was on it all race.

wmcot
23rd March 2008, 23:40
Kimi for his consistent quickness vs. Massa and then backing off to save the engine when Massa went off.

Webber for showing Lewis how difficult it can be to pass in F1! :)

markabilly
23rd March 2008, 23:42
come on, clearly the best car for this track and not for Mac, so Kimi should have won. so it has got to be someone other than him who did something special.

AS to championships for Beemer, they will need a driver with some special racecraft, and neither Kube nor NH has shown that to date, so we will have to wait. But the car is clearly there, waiting for someone to take it to the max

VkmSpouge
24th March 2008, 00:25
I have to say it is Jarno Trulli. Raikkonen and Kubica had excellent races too.

stevie_gerrard
24th March 2008, 00:45
A few great performances, but Trulli's 4th place cannot go unnoticed, a top job from the experienced italian :up:

osg
24th March 2008, 01:34
Kimi for his consistent quickness vs. Massa and then backing off to save the engine when Massa went off.

Webber for showing Lewis how difficult it can be to pass in F1! :)

i'd have to agree..... and also Kubica for threading the needle early in the race to end up 2nd.

Tazio
24th March 2008, 01:40
I'm giving it to JT.
His defense of p4 in the last two laps of the race was almost as exciting as the first lap!

AJP
24th March 2008, 01:54
Kimi - he simply did what was required, going fast when necessary, and drove a faultless race.

Reminded me of SchM.Too True,

He pushed hard when he needed and cruised the rest of the way..

Well done to Jarno, Finally some results for all of the hard work he has put in at Toyota.

ShiftingGears
24th March 2008, 02:54
Kimi, for sure. Although Trulli and Webber had great performances. It's a pity Sato held up Webber, costing him sixth though.

Shifter
24th March 2008, 04:12
Very tempting to give it to Kimi, however Kubica DID pass 2 cars in one move!

Honorable mentions in order:
JT
FA
MW
HK.

F1boat
24th March 2008, 06:57
Kimi - as they say, flawless victory. Webber deserves a mention, too, as he held Hamilton (on track) and Alonso. Kubica also drove very well, but for me Kimi is undoubtedly the driver of the race.

harsha
24th March 2008, 07:00
Kimi...no doubt about that

samuratt
24th March 2008, 08:59
I had to say that Kimi is the driver of the day. He put in impressive fastest laps to overtake Felipe. Though he should stop making fastlaps when the race is already over... that can eventually cost him a failure some day!

Trulli and kubica had great performances today too.

janneppi
24th March 2008, 09:12
Very tempting to give it to Kimi, however Kubica DID pass 2 cars in one move!

I thought that was Heidfeld who got past DC and Alonso?

Trulli impressed me and Kimi perhaps, but he didn't really do anything but drove two fast laps in the race. Rest of the times he was saving his engine. :)

jens
24th March 2008, 10:15
Kimi for me :up:

Wow!? What?! No Trulli for you after such performance? :p : What does he have to do to get your vote then? :D

mirek01
24th March 2008, 11:48
For me Kimi,Kubica,Trulli,Webber and Heidfeld.

pino
24th March 2008, 13:09
Wow!? What?! No Trulli for you after such performance? :p : What does he have to do to get your vote then? :D

I want a podium from him and a little more aggressiveness on track ;)

Shifter
24th March 2008, 14:35
I thought that was Heidfeld who got past DC and Alonso?

Trulli impressed me and Kimi perhaps, but he didn't really do anything but drove two fast laps in the race. Rest of the times he was saving his engine. :)

Wow I feel retarded...that's what I get for staying up 'till 5am watching it and then commenting while I am still tired. Lol. I guess I need to go back and re-watch the race.

Ok, Kimi it is.

ioan
24th March 2008, 19:16
Perhaps not driver of the GP, as markabilly says, but my input for driver of the year so far is Nick Heidfeld.
Joint 2nd after two races is great, and without a bad first 5 corners in Malaysia, and setting a fastest lap late on, NH could have been on the podium with Kubica.
I predict this partnership if continued next year could win the championship - what about other views?

I agree with you. He had a wonderful start and was set to take 3rd behind the Ferrari's until Trulli made contact and pushed him wide.

Dzeidzei
25th March 2008, 08:04
I agree with you. He had a wonderful start and was set to take 3rd behind the Ferrari's until Trulli made contact and pushed him wide.

I dont get you ioan. If youre a Ferrari supporter, how can you NOT think of Kimi as the man of the race? He drove faultlessly, was very quick when needed and then saved his engine when everything was decided already. To me thats perfect. To me thats MS as his best.

And yet you choose to hail Nick? He lost to his teammate. He let Jarno Trulli take him to the first corner. Yes he got the fastest lap when it meant absolutely nothing.

It seems to me Nick will have his hands full this year with Kubica, who at times looks very fast and doesnt make mistakes. As you so well know there are drivers on the grid who can be very fast but who also make mistakes regularly. Those guys will never really win anything.

gm99
25th March 2008, 08:28
I'd say Kimi for driving faultlessly this time - in the beginning, he patiently followed Massa and then put the hammer down when it mattered most.

Kovalainen was also quite impressive, improving five positions from his grid position and being quicker than his team-mate throughout much of the week-end.

Honorable mention going to Trulli for not falling asleep after half-time for once and instead putting up a spirited defense against Hamilton in the last couple of laps.

Corny
25th March 2008, 08:29
Sure Massa :p

ioan
25th March 2008, 09:33
I dont get you ioan. If youre a Ferrari supporter, how can you NOT think of Kimi as the man of the race? He drove faultlessly, was very quick when needed and then saved his engine when everything was decided already. To me thats perfect. To me thats MS as his best.

And yet you choose to hail Nick? He lost to his teammate. He let Jarno Trulli take him to the first corner. Yes he got the fastest lap when it meant absolutely nothing.

It seems to me Nick will have his hands full this year with Kubica, who at times looks very fast and doesnt make mistakes. As you so well know there are drivers on the grid who can be very fast but who also make mistakes regularly. Those guys will never really win anything.

Let's say that Winning by a mile in the best car without any passing move and so on isn't my thing.
Or maybe it's a sign of slight objectivity?
Or I simply liked how Heidfeld drove yesterday, passing 2 cars in one move and so on?!

Be assured, I never give my vote to any driver just because they win in the best car while driving at 99% of their capabilities. ;)

leopard
25th March 2008, 09:48
Sure Massa :p smart choice!

ten-tenths
25th March 2008, 10:12
Let's say that Winning by a mile in the best car without any passing move and so on isn't my thing.
Or I simply liked how Heidfeld drove yesterday, passing 2 cars in one move and so on?!

Be assured, I never give my vote to any driver just because they win in the best car while driving at 99% of their capabilities. ;)

wha? you just described michael and his favorite tactic. which used to drive me nuts watching him "passing" people without really passing people.
(long live montoya!!!! errr anyways) yet i have to say michael was brilliant at winning. like Dzeidzei posted kimi pulled a perfect michael shumacher GP i thought. when kimi was behind massa, he was on his arse, yet when massa was behind kimi.. massa couldn't keep up and faded into the gravel. kimi was da man!

Knock-on
25th March 2008, 10:48
Kimi drove well but never really had much to worry about.

JT batted above his weight and got a good result.

Lewis battled well in the face of adversity getting from 9th to 5th and unfortunately dropped to 11th or something by a pit fault and then fighting back to 5th. Good spirited drive.

For me, I think Kimi deserves it for 100% owning the GP.

Dzeidzei
25th March 2008, 11:02

A sign of slight objectivity? Oh I see, you have a smiley there so thats a joke :)

I think youd call Massa the man of the year if he stays on track. Which I hope weŽll see this year. The prob for Massa now is that heŽs starting to ruin Ferraris wcc campaign.

His place as the 2nd driver in the team is about as clear as it can get.

Is that slight objectivity for you?

ioan
25th March 2008, 11:15
A sign of slight objectivity? Oh I see, you have a smiley there so thats a joke :)

I think youd call Massa the man of the year if he stays on track. Which I hope weŽll see this year. The prob for Massa now is that heŽs starting to ruin Ferraris wcc campaign.

His place as the 2nd driver in the team is about as clear as it can get.

Is that slight objectivity for you?

What does your post have to do with the post you are replying to?
I was talking about Heidfeld and why I liked his drive in Sepang, than you come and start talking about Massa and Ferrari's WCC campaign! :rolleyes:

And now the answer to your continuous drivel:
I was and am a Ferrari supporter, and will stay a Ferrari supporter. However I do manage to see that there are other drivers than the Ferrari drivers on the track. And if it happens that a non-Ferrari driver does a better job , given his equipment and conditions, than a Ferrari driver, then I'm willing to give him credit for that.

Heidfeld managed to salvage his own race after Trulli almost completely ruined it. He passed MW and FA on the track, and posted the fastest lap of the race while not driving the fastest car out there! And thus he's 2nd in the standings at the moment!

This is my view of it. You don't like it? So be it, but don't come with rubbish about Massa and Ferrari's WCC campaign, that has nothing to do with Heidfelds good race!

pino
25th March 2008, 11:36
Calm down ioan, and remember that most of us are here to have good time :)

markabilly
25th March 2008, 11:50
NickHick? I thinketh if passing two cars at once is the criteria, yes, otherwise NOT. Beemer best car behind Ferrari in this race? Yes.

555-04Q2
25th March 2008, 12:10
Kimi. Everyone else is just a loser on the day. The driver of the day is the guy who accomplishes what he's employed to do, WIN.

ioan
25th March 2008, 12:27
Calm down ioan, and remember that most of us are here to have good time :)

Well, some of the people around here are making that a bit difficult.

ioan
25th March 2008, 12:30
Kimi. Everyone else is just a loser on the day. The driver of the day is the guy who accomplishes what he's employed to do, WIN.

You are bit simplistic there.
If Kimi, Felipe, Lewis, Heiki, Nick or Robert wins from pole, 2nd or 3rd on the grid and Sato gets in the points from last on the grid, I'll award it to Sato any day!

Robinho
25th March 2008, 12:53
Kimi, purely for those in and out laps,

no-one else was anything more than very good, and i'd reserve that for Kubica and Trulli only

samuratt
25th March 2008, 14:08

Wierd thinking

Then everytime he doesn't win he is the looser! Only 16 wins for Kimi in more than 60 outings doesn't make him look like the big thing anyways...

This can be applied to any driver, but probably Hamilton!

:D

Dzeidzei
25th March 2008, 19:45
What does your post have to do with the post you are replying to?
I was talking about Heidfeld and why I liked his drive in Sepang, than you come and start talking about Massa and Ferrari's WCC campaign! :rolleyes:

Lighten up, man. Its just so much fun to pick on someone whose man is a loser :)

Anyway, your post is mostly bs. Its very hard to justify naming someone as the man of the race if that driver loses to his teammate. Thats always the real measure, right?

Or are you saying that Kimi cannot be the man of the race, if he beats his teammate? Is Felipe not a good enough measure for that?

The fact is KimiŽs pace forced that error by Felipe. Kimi drove a very MS type of race and in my book thats superb.

But of course you disagree.

You can be the man of the race even if you dont win. But you can also be that if you win. And looking at possible nominees IŽd look at the podium first and then the other front runners.

And certainly not the guys who miserably fail to finish at all

:)

jso1985
25th March 2008, 23:03
wha? you just described michael and his favorite tactic. which used to drive me nuts watching him "passing" people without really passing people.
(long live montoya!!!! errr anyways) yet i have to say michael was brilliant at winning. like Dzeidzei posted kimi pulled a perfect michael shumacher GP i thought. when kimi was behind massa, he was on his arse, yet when massa was behind kimi.. massa couldn't keep up and faded into the gravel. kimi was da man!

What I think Ioan and all others who aren't giving Raikkonen the man of the race title is that eventhough he drove a great race, in the end his win was never challenged so basically he had it much easier than Heidfeld for example who also drove great and was able to show his skills

ioan
25th March 2008, 23:31
What I think Ioan and all others who aren't giving Raikkonen the man of the race title is that eventhough he drove a great race, in the end his win was never challenged so basically he had it much easier than Heidfeld for example who also drove great and was able to show his skills

Someone who's willing to understand plain English! ;)

ten-tenths
26th March 2008, 00:36

i agree, in my earlier posts i gave credit to hekki, kubica, and jarno. having said all that.... kimi was in a duel with massa, they were in a class by themselves. in equal cars, similar fuel loads, same tires, they were trading fastest sector and lap times in the opening stint until kimi came out in front and massa had car trouble. after that, kimi put it in cruise control. that is as good as it gets in terms of racing for me, there can me no excuses like oh he's in a faster car or he had different tires, or he had less fuel BS. i can't wait for bahrain and see how massa reacts. will he come back strong or has he been cracked by kimi? how will LH handle hekki and will they challenge ferrari? F1 rocks!

Tazio
26th March 2008, 00:47
i agree, in my earlier posts i gave credit to hekki, kubica, and jarno. having said all that.... kimi was in a duel with massa, they were in a class by themselves. in equal cars, similar fuel loads, same tires, they were trading fastest sector and lap times in the opening stint until kimi came out in front and massa had car trouble. after that, kimi put it in cruise control. that is as good as it gets in terms of racing for me, there can me no excuses like oh he's in a faster car or he had different tires, or he had less fuel BS. i can't wait for bahrain and see how massa reacts. will he come back strong or has he been cracked by kimi? how will LH handle hekki and will they challenge ferrari? F1 rocks!
Excellent post!

As far as Massa goes:
I wonder how many prognosticators on this forum will leave Massa out of their eight picks for Bahrain?
I think he's sucking air right now, but he ain't mailing it in! IMHO

ten-tenths
26th March 2008, 01:04
thanks! wouldn't it be awesome if massa comes back and cleans kimi's clock?
can't wait!!

Tazio
26th March 2008, 03:52
thanks! wouldn't it be awesome if massa comes back and cleans kimi's clock?
can't wait!!
Well I must say I don't share your partisanship of Massa over Kimi.
I'm a Ferrari fan, and will pull for whomever they trot out there!
If there is a plus for Massa, it is that his Ferrari has less than 1/2 race on its engine.
This race, and Spain are going to go a long way in defining his season, and future!

Roamy
26th March 2008, 05:56

I will just go with the above - pretty well sums up how I feel

ten-tenths
26th March 2008, 10:19
If there is a plus for Massa, it is that his Ferrari has less than 1/2 race on its engine.
This race, and Spain are going to go a long way in defining his season, and future!

in no way am i a massa supporter. i'm a huge kimi fan, ever since he beat JPM at Mac. i'm pulling for kubica and hekki as well. and you are right, massa will have a fresh engine. if i was him or his engineer i would crank it up to max revs (the hell to the second race) to make sure i beat kimi next gp. as you said it will be a very important race for his standing in the team.

ShiftingGears
26th March 2008, 12:14
in no way am i a massa supporter. i'm a huge kimi fan, ever since he beat JPM at Mac. i'm pulling for kubica and hekki as well. and you are right, massa will have a fresh engine. if i was him or his engineer i would crank it up to max revs (the hell to the second race) to make sure i beat kimi next gp. as you said it will be a very important race for his standing in the team.

1 - There is an engine rev limiter
2 - If you max out the engine you risk it breaking, and Massa can't afford that so early in the season.

Dzeidzei
26th March 2008, 13:19

Massa now confirmes that he didnt suffer from the loss of TC in Malaysia. In Finnish MTV3 Massa is quoted to have said: In the first race in Melbourne I had a mechanical problem and then in Malaysia I had other kind of problems which were not TC related.

I think he has 2 big problems now. The first one between his seat and the pedals and the 2nd one inside his helmet. I think the 2nd one causes most of the type 1 problems. He needs to cool down and get the job done.

His running out of excuses. ThereŽs no room for a 3rd mistake in Bahrain.

Tazio
26th March 2008, 16:15
Massa now confirmes that he didnt suffer from the loss of TC in Malaysia. In Finnish MTV3 Massa is quoted to have said: In the first race in Melbourne I had a mechanical problem and then in Malaysia I had other kind of problems which were not TC related.

I think he has 2 big problems now. The first one between his seat and the pedals and the 2nd one inside his helmet. I think the 2nd one causes most of the type 1 problems. He needs to cool down and get the job done.

His running out of excuses. ThereŽs no room for a 3rd mistake in Bahrain.If he can get past the first turn without throwing it away.
I have a feeling his concentration once in the field will be improved!
But please don't quote me on that! :)

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2008, 16:49
Not TC related? Of course his problems were not TC related because there is no TC :p : That's his problem :p :crazy:

Firstgear
26th March 2008, 18:11
As far as Massa goes:
I wonder how many prognosticators on this forum will leave Massa out of their eight picks for Bahrain?

I left him out for Maylasia and it worked pretty well for me. I was gambling on a wet track spinning him out of the race, but he spun just as nicely on the dry.

ten-tenths
26th March 2008, 20:45
1 - There is an engine rev limiter
2 - If you max out the engine you risk it breaking, and Massa can't afford that so early in the season.

well they do have a dial to control the rev limiter and i was thinking there is no point in trying to go conservative the next race. they should max it out all weekend.

ioan
26th March 2008, 22:02
well they do have a dial to control the rev limiter and i was thinking there is no point in trying to go conservative the next race. they should max it out all weekend.

Nowadays the week end is reduced to Saturday and Sunday, Friday they use another engine than the race one.

ShiftingGears
27th March 2008, 04:58