PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Abbot

Sticker Rub
22nd March 2008, 21:10
Hunter Abbot had a big off in today's season opening British GT race at Oulton Park. His Ginetta G50 jumped the barrier & burst into flames but he was able to get to the medical vehicle unaided so fingers crossed he's ok.

Full story here: http://www.gtgateway.com/report.php?articleId=90&eventIndex=1196360751719&driverIndex=

Henry Cutts
22nd March 2008, 21:19
Fingers crossed he's OK! Very nasty looking incident.

Henry Cutts
22nd March 2008, 22:31
From the official site:
britishgt.com

"In GT4 Hunter Abbott (#55 Rob Austin Racing Ginetta G50) and Peter Snowden (#63 Chad Racing Aston Martin N24) were side by side across the line, with Abbott getting ahead as they went down towards Cascades for the 8th time. However Abbott's car slide sideways on the run down the hill and dug into the soft ground, the Ginetta rolling a number of times before coming to rest. Hunter Abbott walked away from the massive accident that destroyed his car, a testiment to the strength of the safety cell installed by Ginetta, but went to hospital suffering minor burns to his hands and face. However this caused a red flag to be displayed, stopping the race."

bravheart
22nd March 2008, 22:39
When you look at this photos, you can see just how lucky Hunter was not to be more badly burned! Im sure it will go without saying, we would all like to wish Hunter a speedy recovery from this nasty incident!

bravheart
22nd March 2008, 22:47
Hunter managed to undo his own harness and throw himself clear!

acorn
23rd March 2008, 12:19
nasty looking incident but good to see hunter got out unaided. the fact the roll cage held is good but i bet they'll be taking a REALLY good look at the design of the fuel system.

Jeff Carter
23rd March 2008, 16:46
I spoke to Hunter last night from the hospital and he is OK apart from some minor burns to his hands and face. He said he feels extremely lucky and relieved to have walked away from such a huge shunt. Having seen the images that must be the understatement of the year!

Anyway I'll pass on your thoughts and I hope we'll see him back in British GT soon.

Jeff

darknessrock
23rd March 2008, 17:03
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F6IZUzxRKUc
Hunter sure is one lucky guy. Hope he makes a speedy recovery, Good luck Hunter.

cgs
23rd March 2008, 20:02
amature video footage here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o5t_477Ak98

71minus2
23rd March 2008, 21:05
amature video footage here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o5t_477Ak98

I spoke with Hunter last year at the Spirit of Adventure car launch and he is a really nice guy, that crash was horrific, the marshalls were superb and may just have saved his life.

I hope Hunter is OK and returns to racing very soon.

Richard.

kjb
23rd March 2008, 21:50
sorry not too impressed with the way the car fell apart in the crash, good to see hunter is well!

Gasman#99
23rd March 2008, 22:06
I wish hunter well and hope he makes a speedy recovery, also would like to say a BIG well done to all the marshalls for there hard work and bravery in incidents like this, as they say you cant beat the british marshalls.

Sticker Rub
23rd March 2008, 23:13
sorry not too impressed with the way the car fell apart in the crash, good to see hunter is well!

Better that it does come apart in an impact like that & absorb some of the energy. The important thing is that the safety cell remained intact & the fact that Hunter walked away from such a huge crash is testament to the strength of the car.

bravheart
23rd March 2008, 23:43
I spoke to a driver today who was following behind Hunter in another G50 Ginetta just before the incident started, he said that Hunter got a really light tap from an Aston Martin, and Hunters car just turned off the circuit!

The Pits!
24th March 2008, 17:17
I spoke to Hunter last night from the hospital and he is OK apart from some minor burns to his hands and face. He said he feels extremely lucky and relieved to have walked away from such a huge shunt. Having seen the images that must be the understatement of the year!

Anyway I'll pass on your thoughts and I hope we'll see him back in British GT soon.

Jeff
Jeff, Pass him my best wishes, and I'm sure we'll see him back later in the year....

...oh yes, and can you ask him for the latest lottery numbers please, because he must be one of the luckest people around. :)

Nick Brad
31st March 2008, 13:35
I'm also glad to see he's ok, it does throw up an issue with the fuel cell/system though which needs to be looked at and quickly.

With regards to the car coming apart, it's normal for the bodywork to go flying in all directions, as long as the safety cell is structurally sound, (which it was,) then it's nothing I wouldn't expect to see in such an accident.

SteveA
31st March 2008, 13:45
Did the fuel cell itself burst, or was it a pipe coming off / getting severed and maybe the fuel pump still running?

cgs
31st March 2008, 14:04
anyone got a progress report of Hunter?

racing59
31st March 2008, 18:08
Yep, he's fine. Burns healing well. Budget took a big hit!!!

Jeff Carter
1st April 2008, 21:22
Did the fuel cell itself burst, or was it a pipe coming off / getting severed and maybe the fuel pump still running?

No the fuel cell didn't burst. When the bodywork came off the car it took the fuel filler caps with it. The race was only laps down when the accident happened so the 80-litre tank had plenty of fuel in it.

If you look at this image you'll see the fuel coming out of the fuel pipes - http://www.britishgt.com/gallery.php?action=showImage&params%5Bid%5D=1696

However the safety cell did exactly what it was designed to do and stayed intact. In fact the Ginetta is built to GT2 safety standards because they want to take the car into that class in the future.

As Rob said, Hunter is fine apart from some minor burns to his hands. In fact he would've raced on Easter Monday (two days after the crash) if the replacement car had been legal for the GT4 class (it was G50 cup car).

I hope the races at Knockhill on 12/13 April are a tad less dramatic!

Jeff

bravheart
1st April 2008, 23:31
Hi Jeff

Glad to hear Hunter's ok! Pitty he's playing with the GT's though!!