PDA

View Full Version : Spanish press trashing Renault?

mstillhere
17th January 2007, 04:45
Hello everyone,
today i was reading some F1 article on this Spanish web site and noticed how Renault is being trashed by teh Spaniads. It was published (in Spanish) by as.com :( [http://www.as.com/articulo/motor/McLaren/renace/Alonso/MP4/22/dasmotB00/20070117dasdaimot_5/Tes/):[/url]

"Lo primero que se ha encontrado el ovetense, y le tiene encandilado, es el hecho de ser tratado en su nuevo equipo como el líder indiscutible. Briatore y Symonds siempre le consideraron en Renault como el chico de Asturias. Nada más desvelar el coche durante la presentación, Fernando sólo decía con los ojos húmedos: "Muy bien, muy bien".

If you cannot understand it because it's in Spanish (and by the way I am not Spanish), it pretty much says that now FA is the undiscussed leader of the McLaren team and that at Renault, Briatore and Symmons treated him like this little boy from Spain who would answer to his bosses with tears in his eyes: Yes, sir; yes, sir. How pathetic!!
I am shocked!! Now it's MacLaren the new unsinkable ship that the Spanish press is all in love with? I don't know, you can say all you want, but to me it does not feel right.
PS Auguri team, are you reading this?

Big Ben
17th January 2007, 08:23
Hello everyone,
today i was reading some F1 article on this Spanish web site and noticed how Renault is being trashed by teh Spaniads. It was published (in Spanish) by as.com :( [http://www.as.com/articulo/motor/McLaren/renace/Alonso/MP4/22/dasmotB00/20070117dasdaimot_5/Tes/):[/url]

"Lo primero que se ha encontrado el ovetense, y le tiene encandilado, es el hecho de ser tratado en su nuevo equipo como el líder indiscutible. Briatore y Symonds siempre le consideraron en Renault como el chico de Asturias. Nada más desvelar el coche durante la presentación, Fernando sólo decía con los ojos húmedos: "Muy bien, muy bien".

If you cannot understand it because it's in Spanish (and by the way I am not Spanish), it pretty much says that now FA is the undiscussed leader of the McLaren team and that at Renault, Briatore and Symmons treated him like this little boy from Spain who would answer to his bosses with tears in his eyes: Yes, sir; yes, sir. How pathetic!!
I am shocked!! Now it's MacLaren the new unsinkable ship that the Spanish press is all in love with? I don't know, you can say all you want, but to me it does not feel right.

I don't care much for the Spanish press either. I especially dislike Gonzale Serrano, the commentator from Telecinco. You should hear him to understand what trashing means.
However you didn't get it right... It says that Briatore and Symonds treated him like the boy from Asturias. When unveiling the new car (mp 4-22, my guess) his eyes were saying: "very good, very good"... that's all... (he likes his new car)

the article is pathetic thought. You surely got that right

wmcot
17th January 2007, 09:03
If the Spanish press thought Renault were bad, they ought to love McLaren! Did they mention the new haircut at all????

Donney
17th January 2007, 10:48
Spanish press is pathetich through and through and nobody shoudl bother reading what they write about motorsport.

Besides they'll have no problem trashing McLaren if things are not brilliant from the start.

Storm
17th January 2007, 10:52
Its obvious the spanish press will be in love with McLaren now....Alonso and de La Rosa both are there !

samuratt
17th January 2007, 11:04
Hello everyone,

Before writting more and more stupid comments every day, at least learn how to read proper spanish. The translation you have made is simply pathetic and wrong. Yes you are right about the spanish press being crap, but pelase do not try to manipulate the information, you are not able to read, in front of our dear and beloved forum members.

I already know you are an Alonso basher, and it is Ok with me, but please do not chage the reality or the facts to make your opinion stronger!!!!

On the other hand you missed Marca's frontpage two days ago, it stated something like: 40 million spaniards changed our car today!!! (refering on how we loved the blue of Renault and we change it now for the silver arrows...)

mstillhere
18th January 2007, 00:56
Before writting more and more stupid comments every day, at least learn how to read proper spanish. The translation you have made is simply pathetic and wrong. Yes you are right about the spanish press being crap, but pelase do not try to manipulate the information, you are not able to read, in front of our dear and beloved forum members.

I already know you are an Alonso basher, and it is Ok with me, but please do not chage the reality or the facts to make your opinion stronger!!!!

On the other hand you missed Marca's frontpage two days ago, it stated something like: 40 million spaniards changed our car today!!! (refering on how we loved the blue of Renault and we change it now for the silver arrows...)

Although I am not Spanish, in the translation I only tried to give the jist of it. Literally trasnslating things like "Asturias" it's too restrictive for the general public. However, I apologize for hurting your feelings. I did not mean to. The point that I am trying to make, though, is that the Spanish press shows such an unbalanced and so sudden support to Alonso in his new team. Not only pretending that Renault never existed but also insulting their managers. FA is like this god, who has ONLY won two world championships, by the way. One of which, as Haug (Alonso's new boss) said himself to Briatore a couple of days ago, was lost by Mercedes and not won by Renault. And I feel like saying the samething with last year. I don't particularly hate Alonso. I just don't like to see so much bad mouthing. And that's including Raikonen too, by the way. I don't see it being professional. Boy I miss Michael.

andreag
18th January 2007, 02:14
Although I am not Spanish, in the translation I only tried to give the jist of it. Literally trasnslating things like "Asturias" it's too restrictive for the general public.
Come on; not even you can believe that.

Maybe you can say you tried to give the jist of it, but you failed.

As our fellow member eu wrote, the right translation for the phrase:

Nada más desvelar el coche durante la presentación, Fernando sólo decía con los ojos húmedos: "Muy bien, muy bien[i]".

is:

[i]Right after unveiling the new car on the launching show, Fernando, with tears in his eyes, just was saying: "Very good, very good"".

and not:

...this little boy from Spain who would answer to his bosses with tears in his eyes: "Yes, sir; yes, sir".

That's the real point, and not some details about "Asturias", or even about "ovetense" (by the way, can you translate this last word?).

tinchote
18th January 2007, 06:44
The translation was wrong. But that doesn't diminish the fact (which the topic of this thread) that the Spanish press is insanely biased. And this is particularly clear in this case, because FA was the "golden boy" at Renault, and now he will be just a very well paid employee at McLaren.

CarlMetro
18th January 2007, 10:07
The translation was wrong. But that doesn't diminish the fact (which the topic of this thread) that the Spanish press is insanely biased. And this is particularly clear in this case, because FA was the "golden boy" at Renault, and now he will be just a very well paid employee at McLaren.

Show me a national press that isn't biased :\

Like anywhere else the Spanish press will 'big up' their boy and his new team before the season starts. They'll also turn against his previous employer but just wait until a few races in if the car/driver aren't doing as well as the press expects them to. Then the focus will change rapidly. And if Renault start doing well at the same time, then the likelyhood is that they will turn against the driver and say that he should have stayed where he was.

Personally I think sports journalists are one of the lowest forms of human life, only marginally better than estate agents :dozey:

Donney
18th January 2007, 11:07
:up:

samuratt
18th January 2007, 13:37

I think is the other way around, had Fernando been the golden boy at Renault they would have paid him as much as he wanted in order to keep the good momentum going. While in McLaren, the fact that he has been signed with a very big contract means that he is nº1 and the driver on whom they are relaying in order to be succesful again... For the spanish press, that doesn't matter, as long as he keeps winning, he will be god, as long as he doesn't they will blame the car.

It is too hard to say that sport journalist is the lowest form of human life, but i would no like to be one tough!!!! :D

Big Ben
18th January 2007, 14:04
Personally I think sports journalists are one of the lowest forms of human life, only marginally better than estate agents :dozey:

WOW.
It's more or less like Pele said (I think). Good footballers play in top leagues, average players work in lower leagues. The really bad ones become sports journalist. The same thing happen in f1.

tinchote
18th January 2007, 14:32
I think is the other way around, had Fernando been the golden boy at Renault they would have paid him as much as he wanted in order to keep the good momentum going. While in McLaren, the fact that he has been signed with a very big contract means that he is nº1 and the driver on whom they are relaying in order to be succesful again... For the spanish press, that doesn't matter, as long as he keeps winning, he will be god, as long as he doesn't they will blame the car.

I cannot agree with that. At Renault, Briatore nourished Fernando for many years, put him to test first so that he would be ready for the challenge, and then built a competitive team during two more years. The fact that they had a salary cap doesn't diminish the fact that FA was the golden boy (who can blame them if they managed to get two WDCs with a "low-salary" driver?) At McLaren, FA won't have that cushion. He's coming as the reigning two-time world champion, someone that has to deliver whatever it takes. McLaren's last championship season was 7 years ago, they have a strong urge to deliver, and if they don't sour grapes will manifest quickly. Just think of 4 years ago, when KR was going to stay at McLaren "for the long term".

It is too hard to say that sport journalist is the lowest form of human life, but i would no like to be one tough!!!! :D

I would think there is probably a couple of decent sport journalists. I haven't found them, though ;) :D

samuratt
18th January 2007, 17:04
WOW.
It's more or less like Pele said (I think). Good footballers play in top leagues, average players work in lower leagues. The really bad ones become sports journalist. The same thing happen in f1.

Tell that to Martin Brundle!!!! :D

samuratt
18th January 2007, 17:09
I cannot agree with that. At Renault, Briatore nourished Fernando for many years, put him to test first so that he would be ready for the challenge, and then built a competitive team during two more years. The fact that they had a salary cap doesn't diminish the fact that FA was the golden boy (who can blame them if they managed to get two WDCs with a "low-salary" driver?) At McLaren, FA won't have that cushion. He's coming as the reigning two-time world champion, someone that has to deliver whatever it takes. McLaren's last championship season was 7 years ago, they have a strong urge to deliver, and if they don't sour grapes will manifest quickly. Just think of 4 years ago, when KR was going to stay at McLaren "for the long term".

I think you are pretty right about the sour grapes thing... but I still think that the fact that Alonso is now a 2WDC and has a big salary makes him look like the saviour to the McLaren team, while Lewis, on the other hand, is the future bid. It has to do more with the respect, at REnault he had to earned it race by race, year after year... At McLaren it seems clear that he has every respect he can dream of from the engineers and the team. Whil Lewis will have to deliver in order to gain such respect.

I don't know if i did myself clear enough, but I bet you I did try hard!!! :D

Big Ben
18th January 2007, 17:51
Tell that to Martin Brundle!!!! :D

I will.... when i see him:d... Perhaps he got bored... It´s not easy to retire at 40 or so :d

trumperZ06
18th January 2007, 17:56
;) Hhmmm... as I recall,

1. Fernando signed with McLaren... AFTER Renault waffled about staying in Formula One... long term !!!

2. At the time he signed with McLaren... it looked like the McLaren team was improving.

3. I bet he wishes he were still at Renault... McLaren's reliablity has been dismal !!!

:s mokin: Trumper

raika
18th January 2007, 18:20
Its obvious the spanish press will be in love with McLaren now....Alonso and de La Rosa both are there !
lol yep i think so, but i think renault they cant be very quick like last year
they need a great driver...

tinchote
18th January 2007, 18:59
I think you are pretty right about the sour grapes thing... but I still think that the fact that Alonso is now a 2WDC and has a big salary makes him look like the saviour to the McLaren team, while Lewis, on the other hand, is the future bid. It has to do more with the respect, at REnault he had to earned it race by race, year after year... At McLaren it seems clear that he has every respect he can dream of from the engineers and the team. Whil Lewis will have to deliver in order to gain such respect.

I don't know if i did myself clear enough, but I bet you I did try hard!!! :D

It was more than clear :) It will be interesting to see what happens if the mac continue with their now traditional "reliability". Kimi threw a couple of steering wheels and pushed a couple marshals. What will FA do? ;) :D