PDA

View Full Version : Bmw Will Keep The Sauber Name

DimitraF1
17th January 2007, 00:36
i thought that was for only last season,but it appears this season too, why is that? they bought sauber team,not only a part of it...

tinchote
17th January 2007, 00:59
Maybe some commercial reasons?

tannat
17th January 2007, 01:01
BMW and Sauber have quite a history...

Sauber built a few of the Group5 BMW M1s that raced at Le Mans and elsewhere in the early 80's, not mention a number of BMW powered Sauber built prototypes which raced as lately as the mid 90's..

perhaps they kept the name as a sign of respect..

Tannat

Cozzie
17th January 2007, 05:13
I always thought the main reason was that if BMW fail (which they won't) they could sort of cover it up if they were still using the Sauber name it makes it appear like less of a factory effort.

RJL25
17th January 2007, 05:34
I always thought the main reason was that if BMW fail (which they won't) they could sort of cover it up if they were still using the Sauber name it makes it appear like less of a factory effort.

correct, hence why they kept the name again for this year as they probably still wont be race winning metal. 2008 they should be ready to win races and thats when the name change to just BMW will happen. Alot of people refer to them as jusst BMW now anyway

Quetch
17th January 2007, 07:18

Sauber built a few of the Group5 BMW M1s that raced at Le Mans and elsewhere in the early 80's, not mention a number of BMW powered Sauber built prototypes which raced as lately as the mid 90's..

Tannat

I agree. McLaren is still McLaren after all, too.

harsha
17th January 2007, 07:34
f1 wouldn't be f1 without names like ferrari,williams and mclaren in the grid,we've already lost so many names................. :(

ShiftingGears
17th January 2007, 07:49

But for how much longer?

wmcot
17th January 2007, 09:13

But in name only. I bet Bruce is rolling over in his grave watching Ron run "his" team!

janneppi
17th January 2007, 09:40

not mention a number of BMW powered Sauber built prototypes which raced as lately as the mid 90's..

Tannat
I thought Sauber had only Mercedes engines while in prototypes?

V12
17th January 2007, 13:53
While it's apparently some sort of symbolic gesture, the cynical view has to be that they will keep the Sauber name while they are spooling up to full strength then just become "BMW". When Renault bought Benetton, for the first year they were called Benetton-Renaults (i.e. while they were crap), IIRC they were even considering badging the engine as something other than a Renault before the 2001 season.

Still, I'll refuse to refer to the cars as "BMW Saubers", god I hate that name. It's either a BMW or a Sauber-BMW, this isn't Grand-Am.

tinchote
18th January 2007, 06:57

From a commercial point of view, it sounds like the right thing to do. And it is nice to have the Sauber name around for another little while.