PDA

View Full Version : broadband question

Daniel
16th January 2007, 23:16
Thinking of changing ISP's as I'm sick of the stupid USB modem we have and I just think 512k is a bit slow.

Basically my requirements are as below :)
Must have a decent download cap. At least 20gb+ 30 or 40 would be ideal and even more couldn't hurt I also don't want to be charged for extra downloads.
Must be 8mbps. BT site says we should be able to get 3 so I'd like to get as good as we can :)
Doesn't need to come with a modem or wireless or anything but if it comes with a router that's OK.
Cost isn't an issue. I'd rather pay more each month and have a decent connection rather than save money and have a crappy one :mark: but that said I don't want to throw money away :p
Would rather not be tied into a 12 or 18 month contract if I can help it.
Can't be tied into any phone contract as I get free calls to Australia on weekends and from 6pm to 6am on weekdays which is important for me so changing phone plans is a no no.
Has to be ADSL as we don't get cable here in deepest darkest windiest Wales.

Here are a few I've had a look at

Sky Broadband (Connect package) looks good. 8mb and 40Gb cap. But the setup fee is £40 and even then you're tied in for 12 months and I've heard that you have to use their router and can't use your own which I don't like as you often get poor performance from the routers which companies provide.

Virgin seems to be competitive on price and the package specs but most reviews seem to be negative and apparently their customers generally get bad pings which is something I would hate as I love to play online games. But at least they seem to be mostly on monthly plans so I wouldn't be tied in if the product was crap.

www.names.co.uk (http://www.names.co.uk) seem to have good packages albeit a little more expensive but their reviews seem to be largely positive. Never heard of them which is a negative though. Also on monthly plans which I like.

Has anyone had any experience of these companies or other ones and thinks there may be a product which is better suited to my needs? Anyone had any good/bad experiences of companies here in the UK? Who should I steer clear of and who's worth going with? :)

tinchote
17th January 2007, 03:08
I can get you an awsome connection in SK, Canada, but you probably don't want that ;) :D

Daniel
17th January 2007, 08:43
Well I've been disappointed with the lack of winter here :p I'll ask Caroline what she thinks about moving :p

Dave B
17th January 2007, 12:39
Shame you can't get cable, I've found it to be a lot more reliable than ADSL - although Blueyonder's email platform is as unstable as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest.

If you've got Sky and you're not planning on leaving in the next 12 months then you might as well get their Broadband. I can't see any good reason why you'd be tied to their router, it's nothing magical.

The good people on the Digital Spy broadband forum are worth asking, and they're never shy about giving their opinion.

Oh, and avoid TalkTalk at all costs. There's not enough adjectives in the dictionary to describe my contempt for them.

Knock-on
17th January 2007, 13:38
I've been having a few problems with Tiscalli recently. Not with the service itself but the sodding billing department who as as much use as a Fishnet Condom.

I can recommend the service but not the company.

I'm in the process of moving to Bulldog which is a competitive business package provided by Pipex with unlimited Landline calls, cheap foreign calls, 8 meg broadband and line rental so I don't have to take BT for about £50 per month.

Dave B
17th January 2007, 15:06
Ooooh that's the other thing I meant to post: don't sign up to anybody who wants to take over your line (aka unbundling).

BT aren't perfect but if you get a fault you can call them free from any phone, 24/7/365. Many other providers are a long, long, way from that.

Also with a BT line you're free to route your calls through any number of providers, and if you're careful you need never pay for a landline call ever again. They'll also give you free CLI. If you go with another provider, you're stuck with their call package. Don't do it!

real_illusions
17th January 2007, 16:38
sky broadband is supposed to be quite good..we're looking into getting it.

one package is £10 a month, free installation and activiation, 16mb speed and n
no bandwidth limits.

although it has be avaliable in your area, but they're worst package seems to be alot better than BT's best package. Avoid BT at all costs ;)

:)

Daniel
18th January 2007, 00:01
Ooooh that's the other thing I meant to post: don't sign up to anybody who wants to take over your line (aka unbundling).

BT aren't perfect but if you get a fault you can call them free from any phone, 24/7/365. Many other providers are a long, long, way from that.

Also with a BT line you're free to route your calls through any number of providers, and if you're careful you need never pay for a landline call ever again. They'll also give you free CLI. If you go with another provider, you're stuck with their call package. Don't do it!

Well I'm going to disregard everyone's advice it seems :p

The company I work for which will remain nameless in case anyone doesn't like their ads has a broadband department and I asked a few questions.

Been told Virgin is absolute rubbish from a customer service point of view so that's them out of the picture.

Been told Sky is absolute pants for getting a decent ping so that's out for me as the main reason for getting something better than what I have now is to get a better ping and faster connection so I can play games a bit better and not worry about lag/choke.

The gentleman at work basically reccomended BT for my specific requirements. So I've just called up BT and the J4mie sounding guy was quite helpful and I'm going to go for their Option 3 package which is 22.99 for 3 months and then 26.99 after that and even though it's expensive it seems to be the best package with the best chance of getting what I actually want :) Just on hold with Orange waiting to speak to someone to get a MAC code so I can move over to BT. At least it's only a national call rate call and not a premium call rate call :rolleyes:

This is the package I'm going to go for.

http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0976317724.1169068030 @@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddjmdefhgmcflgcefkdffndflf.0&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1322&obsPage=%2fbroadband%2fbb_info.jsp%3ftargetSection %3dbroadband_from_bt&obsType=LINK&obsOID=89065&targetSection=prod_page_2000_E&presalesProduct=2000_E

Off the phone now and it's now going to take 3 days :laugh: to get a MAC code to give to BT so I can move over to them and any money I've been charged for this months services won't be refunded so basically if I was calling up two days before payment for next month was due I'd be paying twice for that month. Tosspots :mark: Luckily we're paid up till the start of Feb so we'll just use Orange broadband for a little while longer so they don't get our money for nothing.

You get a VoIP phone AND most importantly they don't want to take over our call plan which is good as talktalk probably lose money on us every month.

Cheers for the advice everyone.

Daniel
23rd January 2007, 09:13
Looked last night online to just check the progress of my order and it turns out it's been cancelled :mark: Turns out I gave BT a wrong character in my MAC code so they cancelled the order but of course didn't tell me :mark: Now the connection is only going to be active on the 30th and not the 25th as it should have been :mark: Poo!

tinchote
23rd January 2007, 11:42
Well I've been disappointed with the lack of winter here :p I'll ask Caroline what she thinks about moving :p

You would probably be satisfied here, then: we are having a mild winter, which means about 20cm of snow in the ground and these (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=XX&StationID=3002&Year=2007&Month=1&Day=22) temperatures :)

Caroline
23rd January 2007, 12:37
Looked last night online to just check the progress of my order and it turns out it's been cancelled :mark: Turns out I gave BT a wrong character in my MAC code so they cancelled the order but of course didn't tell me :mark: Now the connection is only going to be active on the 30th and not the 25th as it should have been :mark: Poo!

Poo indeed! Glad you checked.

PS I can see snow today....don't listen to him. :p :

Daniel
23rd January 2007, 14:28
I saw snow today when turning onto the A55 near Caerwys. Bring me back some please! :cheese:

Btw dear the router will still be here tomorrow :)

Daniel
25th January 2007, 23:26
Yay! Got our BT Broadband Hug thing today. Our line won't be active till Tuesday but I've managed to get it working with our Orange connection. No more sh**ty USB modem for us anymore :cheese:

AndySpeed
26th January 2007, 11:21
I'm a wee bit curious, how many members postcodes work with this service?

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Daniel
26th January 2007, 14:07
not me :)