PDA

View Full Version : Todt steps down as Ferrari CEO*[merged]*

janneppi
18th March 2008, 17:50
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65884

Ferrari's shareholders on Tuesday confirmed the board of directors for a three-year period, with Luca di Montezemolo staying on as president and Jean Todt stepping down from his role as CEO.

The Frenchman will be replaced by Amadeo Felisa.

JSH
18th March 2008, 17:54
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65884

Yeah, well... I'm sure there's something written in the Bible about having a Frenchman running Ferrrari being a mortal sin or something...One of the Pope's new Deadly Sins?? .. oh wait .. but he's German. :devil:

mstillhere
18th March 2008, 18:01
Well, well well, I'd be dam....ed if I saw that coming. Todt pretty much leaving Ferrari. He still will do stuff for them but he wont be as involved as he used to. Sadly enough, the dream team seems fading away, little by little. The new comers need to acquire experience, and that's fair enough, but I wonder if anybody will ever able to top the Montezemolo, Todt, Ross, M. Schumacker team. I guess only time will tell.

Tazio
18th March 2008, 18:04
"Naturally I will continue to make a contribution to Ferrari in my institutional positions
and in those which the President has chosen to entrust me."

Does this mean they are sending him to a nut house,
and just humoring him about still being part of the operation?

veeten
18th March 2008, 18:23
no, this previous weekend's misadventures may have Luca & Co. looking to put Jean in place as F1 team manager again, if problems persist.

It was 'Amateur Hour' in Melbourne, and the heads and tifosi weren't amused.

One can call it 'hedging one's bets'...

ioan
18th March 2008, 18:31
What the heck?!
If he is to leave Ferrari than it's the worst moment to do so.

Bagwan
18th March 2008, 20:04
"Naturally I will continue to make a contribution to Ferrari in my institutional positions
and in those which the President has chosen to entrust me."

Is this a translation , or is this exactly as it was said ?

If he said exactly this , it is a curious choice of words .

"chosen to entrust me." sounds like Luca has just chastized Jean and said that he had betrayed Ferrari .
He calls him , a distancing term in "the president" .
The first line says he will fulfill his obligations , with "naturally" , reinforcing his loyalty , both sounding rather defensive .

Sounds to me like Luca blew his stack , and Todt had had enough .
I have no proof but a feeling about this one .

ioan
18th March 2008, 20:11

"chosen to entrust me." sounds like Luca has just chastized Jean and said that he had betrayed Ferrari .
The first line says he will fulfill his obligations , with "naturally" , reinforcing his loyalty , both sounding rather defensive .

I have no proof but a feeling about this one .

Quite a bizarre declaration.
It seems like he's had enough but he will fulfill what he has to and then he's off.

mstillhere
18th March 2008, 20:26
Is Todt's departure opening the door for Alonso arrival?
I don't thing that's what Todt was really worried about, but.....

Tazio
18th March 2008, 20:38

I have no proof but a feeling about this one .I was just making a joke out of one phrase, that came directly from the first link Jannepi posted!

"My commitment to the President had been to manage the company until the end of his mandate as President of Confindustria and to indicate the new director of the Sports Management," said Todt.

"Having accomplished these tasks, a new phase of my life has now begun in which I will have more time to dedicate to myself and my other interests.

"Naturally I will continue to make a contribution to Ferrari in my institutional positions and in those which the President has chosen to entrust me."

Ferrari said in a statement that it "thanks Jean Todt for the extraordinary human and professional contribution he has made over the last fifteen years of sporting success and great growth for the company of the Prancing Horse."

Not ruling out your opinion though!!!!

Tazio
18th March 2008, 22:42
Here's an interesting perspective L-O-L
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/todt-bucked/index.html?ex=1363579200&en=6804d78e754276fd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Rollo
18th March 2008, 23:07
I think that Todt has contributed more to Ferrari's success than anyone else.

People may claim that Schumacher was able to galvanise the team, but is was Todt who employed Schumacher in the first place along with everyone else in the team.

Todt has a history of building world beaters. The Peugeot 205 T16, the Peugeot 405 Pikes Peak car, the Peugeot 905 which won Le Mans. In fact, had he convinced Peugeot to go into F1, then they probably would have won there. It was probably inevitable that Ferrari under his guildance, was able to spot and employ the necessary people to win.
Suffer in your jocks Peugeot.

The road looks a little darker for Ferrari, their star fell a little today.

markabilly
18th March 2008, 23:33
last year, there were a few things sliding south, so much that one had to wonder.................then MacHam chokes and Ferrari "catches up" so everyone assumes stuff like running out of gas in the pitlane is not important or they just forget about it.

Then we have the first race of this year, and they look like they are really clueless.......and now the last of the cement blocks that held Ferrari is gone.

And never ever forget how MS treated Luca at Monza when he announced his retirement. Pretty clear that Luca was excited and Todt was in tears.....and MS just totally ignored Luca boy

Well, it is just past momentum keeping them going now.....how long will that last??????

Tazio
19th March 2008, 02:56
last year, there were a few things sliding south, so much that one had to wonder.................then MacHam chokes and Ferrari "catches up" so everyone assumes stuff like running out of gas in the pitlane is not important or they just forget about it.

Then we have the first race of this year, and they look like they are really clueless.......and now the last of the cement blocks that held Ferrari is gone.

And never ever forget how MS treated Luca at Monza when he announced his retirement. Pretty clear that Luca was excited and Todt was in tears.....and MS just totally ignored Luca boy

Well, it is just past momentum keeping them going now.....how long will that last??????Sure, and I think you mah be readin a lehttle too much into this development lad
Surely Mike was looukin like he’d just as soon beat him with his shilaylie as shake his hand after Monza
But that was a statement aboot the way he got the bums rush to do his decidin, and make his ancuncement. I’ve got it recorded myself and in the same footage I think Jean wanted also to tell Luca to kiss the Blarney Stone that day
You drank too mooch green kool-aide lad.
Now have your corned beef and cabbage before you turn into a leprechaun!!
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsQE5MnpRA&NR=1

Valve Bounce
19th March 2008, 03:05
Quite a bizarre declaration.
It seems like he's had enough but he will fulfill what he has to and then he's off.

Maybe he will go and join Ross Brawn and bring many wins to bunsen and the championship to Honda.

pino
19th March 2008, 06:19
Maybe he will go and join Ross Brawn and bring many wins to bunsen and the championship to Honda.

Noway...for what I know Todt doesn't play on Playstation :p :

Azumanga Davo
19th March 2008, 07:29

Far out, the guy isn't immortal...

Ranger
19th March 2008, 08:22
Did he jump or was he pushed?

There were rumours last year about the lack of Harmony between Todt and the more senior members, namely LdM.

The fact that he's no longer a CEO would indicate those rumours were true, and that something was definitely happening backstage.

ArrowsFA1
19th March 2008, 08:39
It does seem as if Montezemolo and Todt have not had the most harmonious relationship in recent times, with Luca getting his way more often than not, and it seems as if the pair of them have reached the end of the road.

This is very much the end of an era for Ferrari, Jean Todt having been the architect of the teams' success over the last decade or so, and he will be missed.

Interesting times in Maranello.

ioan
19th March 2008, 08:43

:rotflmao:

Valve Bounce
19th March 2008, 08:52

And who would have believed that Ross Brawn would? :rolleyes:

Knock-on
19th March 2008, 08:53
Interesting times in Maranello for sure!!!

If this was a planned move, then it was planned by the writers of Blackadder.

"I have a cunning plan..... get rid of Schumacher, get Stepney embroiled in the crap, chuck Brawn over to a rival, have a disastrous first race and sideline Todt straight after it."

"Baldrick, go and find Coultard and get him to kick 3 colours of cr*p out of you!!"

AndyRAC
19th March 2008, 09:01
Well he can join Guy Frequelin in 'retirement'- as he used to co-drive for him.

SGWilko
19th March 2008, 10:57
Like him or loathe him, I think it is quite clear that Todt is the instrument in returning Ferrari to winning ways.

Perhaps he really is going to replace Max. :eek:

Tazio
19th March 2008, 12:58
I'm going to be really naive and take LDM at his word. There seemed to be an agreement that JT was holding the position untill certain objectives were reached!

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo paid tribute to Jean Todt after the Frenchman stepped down as Ferrari's CEO earlier this week.

Di Montezemolo thanked Todt, who left his position as principal of the Formula One team at the end of last season, for his service to the marque in an open letter to Ferrari employees which was printed in Italian newspaper Gazetta dello Sport.

"I want to thank Jean for his effort, passion, and competence that have been an example to all his co-workers. I know him well and therefore am not surprised by his desire to reduce his operating involvement in Ferrari.

"He is a determined man and true to his word, and having reached the objectives we agreed on when he became CEO he has decided to dedicate a bit more time to himself and to his other interests."

Todt will remain on the Ferrari board after being appointed as director of sports management, and will also continue to represent Ferrari at meetings of the FIA's World Motorsport Council.

markabilly
19th March 2008, 13:48
Sure, and I think you mah be readin a lehttle too much into this development lad
Surely Mike was looukin like he’d just as soon beat him with his shilaylie as shake his hand after Monza
But that was a statement aboot the way he got the bums rush to do his decidin, and make his ancuncement. I’ve got it recorded myself and in the same footage I think Jean wanted also to tell Luca to kiss the Blarney Stone that day
You drank too mooch green kool-aide lad.
Now have your corned beef and cabbage before you turn into a leprechaun!!
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsQE5MnpRA&NR=1
WOW I did not know you were a werstler.......you definetly look like one mean dude not to be messed with, fur sure enuff

samuratt
19th March 2008, 14:26
Interesting moves at Manarello.

Is has always been said that Todt never wanted Alonso in Ferrari, while Luca did. Long ago, when Fernando was driving a Minardi Todt made him an offer to join Ferrari as test driver. He didn't accept Todt's offer in order to join Renault, who had promised him a driver rol after 1 year of testing. Todt never liked Alonso's decision.

Anyway these are not good news for Ferrari after such a messy start to the seasson.

Tazio
19th March 2008, 15:20
Ferrari bringing in A-team (could someone photoshop in that pic of A-Team with the other Frenchman in it)
http://uk.reuters.com/article/motorSportsNews/idUKL1925909020080319?rpc=401&
Montezemolo said former team manager Jean Todt, who resigned as Ferrari chief executive officer on Tuesday but remains on the board, was helping to figure out what had caused the engines of Raikkonen and his Brazilian team mate Felipe Massa to fail in Melbourne.

ArrowsFA1
19th March 2008, 15:31
"I want to thank Jean for his effort, passion, and competence that have been an example to all his co-workers."
Competence? That's an odd word to pick if you want to praise someone. So Jean was competent? I think he deserves more than that given the achievements of the team under his leadership.

There was a time under Enzo Ferrari when, if a Ferrari won then Ferrari got the credit regardless of any individuals' contribution. Perhaps Luca wants to return to those days, as opposed to the 'dream team' era when individuals appeared bigger than the team.

That's not a criticism, just an observation that things are changing at Ferrari with Luca di Montezemolo very much in charge.

BDunnell
19th March 2008, 15:34
'Competence' might just be a slightly dodgy translation.

ioan
19th March 2008, 20:04
Todt will remain on the Ferrari board after being appointed as director of sports management, and will also continue to represent Ferrari at meetings of the FIA's World Motorsport Council.

So, he will actually be there to kick Domenicalli's back side when he falls asleep again. That would be a good move.

BDunnell
19th March 2008, 20:35
So, he will actually be there to kick Domenicalli's back side when he falls asleep again. That would be a good move.

One race in, I don't think backside kicking is a sensible move. I wouldn't want to see him becoming a scapegoat, because that wouldn't be fair. As I said before, we all learn from our mistakes, and F1 teams can't expect to be perfect all of the time.

ioan
19th March 2008, 21:39
One race in, I don't think backside kicking is a sensible move. I wouldn't want to see him becoming a scapegoat, because that wouldn't be fair. As I said before, we all learn from our mistakes, and F1 teams can't expect to be perfect all of the time.

I intended it more of a metaphorical kicking.
Honestly I'm not that much bothered by what happened last week end (to my own surprise, I think I got a life! ;) ).
I hope these problems will make them understand things better and make them stronger than before.

Valve Bounce
20th March 2008, 04:41
Maybe this has something to do with the French Olympic swimmer who sacked her coach to live with her boyfriend in Italy, then created some sorta storm there too.