PDA

View Full Version : TV Graphics - Timing & Scoring

wedge
17th March 2008, 16:10
Finally they've followed the Americans with the ticker tape scrolling across the screen.

Also why oh why do TV producers in Europe insist on copying F1 style presentation when for timing and scoring when the Americans have been doing it better for a good number of years?

blakebeatty
17th March 2008, 16:37
Finally they've followed the Americans with the ticker tape scrolling across the screen.

Also why oh why do TV producers in Europe insist on copying F1 style presentation when for timing and scoring when the Americans have been doing it better for a good number of years?

amen! for the pinnacle of racing technology, F1 was far from the pinnacle of broadcast technology. The scroll is subtle and informative

Dave B
17th March 2008, 17:40
I think it looked cheap and tacky. It's only been done because the stacked graphics looked silly in the 14:9 safe area.

Mp3 Astra
17th March 2008, 18:53
Oh for the days of Having multi-angle channels, where you can add and remove the HUD yourself... That's what we really need!

That is what surprised me about F1. It's the world's biggest motorsport series, apparently, and yet its TV presentation didn't show that at all. Having said that, they have made a few minor improvements such as the tickertape (although I can't see it properly on the 10 year old TV we have) and the driver statistics. I fail to understand why the speed and revs display has a stupid bar instead of just showing the speed in Numbers.

The map that they brought in near the end of last season that shows where the next driver down the road is, while one is in the pits, is pretty useful as well.

Overall, the HUD for F1 is improving, but now we just need there to be a single director, instead of a different one for every race...

BDunnell
17th March 2008, 18:54
I find the scrolling thing deeply irritating because of the abbreviated versions of the drivers' names. It would be far more useful for their surnames to be spelt out in full.

(Incidentally, I thought this was going to be a thread about the fact that the race positions were totally confused on some of the TV graphics from Melbourne for the first part of the race. Was there a timing problem? Rosberg wasn't showing up on some of the timings for a while, and there were others in the wrong place.)

aryan
18th March 2008, 01:51

Am I the only one who actually finds the tape scrolling at the bottom/top of the screen very annoying and utterly distracting?

I can't watch the middle of the screen and the bottom of the screen at the same time. No human can. Previously the order was shown on the left-hand side but not far off the centre of the screen. That's where it belongs.

blakebeatty
18th March 2008, 02:38
I can't watch the middle of the screen and the bottom of the screen at the same time.

I don't think that there is enough overtaking in F1 that you need to continually watch the running order.

Mark
18th March 2008, 07:57
Am I the only one who actually finds the tape scrolling at the bottom/top of the screen very annoying and utterly distracting?

I can't watch the middle of the screen and the bottom of the screen at the same time. No human can. Previously the order was shown on the left-hand side but not far off the centre of the screen. That's where it belongs.

No, I found it intensely annoying and distracting. As you say I found it hard to concenrate on the race with that thing scrolling across the bottom of the screen. There's nothing wrong with the way they've been doing it until now.

BDunnell
18th March 2008, 10:03

You're not the only one. It reminds me of those awful financial channels, with tickers scrolling every which way across the picture.

AndyL
18th March 2008, 11:36
The value of the ticker is not just in showing the positions, it's showing the lap times and gaps all the way down the field. So you can see where the battles are down the field, or if a back-marker is on a fast pace and closing in. I find it useful on the US racing, though I don't care about it in F1 as the live timing on the F1 web site is better.
Personally I like the DTM graphics, where they have the drivers' (abbreviated) names in a column at the left - the whole field, not just the top 6 - and they change colour as they cross the line each lap so you can get a rough idea of what the gaps are.

call_me_andrew
21st March 2008, 03:53
While I did like the prevous F1 style better than the ticker, I like DTM's graphics the best.

I think the area that could most be improved on is reporting intervals. The intervals are always updated at the last lap, while in the U.S. intervals are now shown in real time.

jjanicke
21st March 2008, 15:48
I would have to say that NASCAR does pretty much everything better than F1 when it comes to broadcasting. 1st it's in HD not just wide screen, position, speed and gaps are in real time, and so on. There's a long way to go with the F1 broadcasting, and I think FOM should take more control to deliver a consistant experience (kinda like starbucks ;) from race to race.

call_me_andrew
21st March 2008, 19:19
But NASCAR doesn't control it's own broadcasting. They cash the check and let the networks run wild.

Tazio
21st March 2008, 19:33
I had no problem with the old style the abbreviations coming up as each car past start/finnish gave you a good idea of intervals! If you’re paying attention you can get a good feel for who is gaining and losing time.
I find the constant banner a bit of a distraction!

jjanicke
21st March 2008, 19:41
But NASCAR doesn't control it's own broadcasting. They cash the check and let the networks run wild.

And Fox does a phenomenal job with the broadcasting.

jjanicke
21st March 2008, 19:44
I had no problem with the old style the abbreviations coming up as each car past start/finnish gave you a good idea of intervals! If you’re paying attention you can get a good feel for who is gaining and losing time.
I find the constant banner a bit of a distraction!

Hmm sounds very much like those "evangelist" trying to shut Howard Stern and others like him down.

The simple answer is: Don't watch it and you will not be distracted.

DazzlaF1
21st March 2008, 20:34

I agree :up:

Tazio
21st March 2008, 21:08
Hmm sounds very much like those "evangelist" trying to shut Howard Stern and others like him down.

The simple answer is: Don't watch it and you will not be distracted.
Explain to me what me finding a banner in my peripheral vision distracting have to do with evangelists trying to censor Howard Stern? That has to be the most idiotic comparison I’ve read in a long time!

Valve Bounce
21st March 2008, 21:20
...........if you have a laptop, that is. I log onto Formula1.com's live timing, and put that next to me when I am watching the race. A quick glance will give you th egaps, and different coloured times will alert you to PB's and fastest laps.

I have been using Live Timing to follow most races because our delayed broadcasts start very late here in Oz during the European and American races.

jjanicke
21st March 2008, 21:21
Explain to me what me finding a banner in my peripheral vision distracting have to do with evangelists trying to censor Howard Stern? That has to be the most idiotic comparison I’ve read in a long time!

Perhaps, but nevertheless it reminded me of it.

So the real question: is it distracting because it's different, or because of ergonomics.

I tend to believe it's distracting simply because it's different. However to each their own.

Oli_M
21st March 2008, 22:36
I thought the scrolling info was great. If I wanted to know where a driver was then i could glance down and find out. It wasn't at all distracting being down at the bottom - on the side of the screen was always really annoying where you couldn't ignore it.

And as for drivers abbreviations, makes so much more sense than spelling out everyones whole name. Even my mum could work out who 21 out of the 22 were LOL

Nikki Katz
22nd March 2008, 14:56
I really don't like the rolling position. But at least they've abbreviated everyone's name, so it doesn't take all year to find out who's where.
I always hated the graphics that ChampCar used after its first bankruptcy. They were slow and seemed to give out meaningless information like who was operating the driver's radio, when all you want to do is know where they are and what the gap is. It also took up a good chunk of the screen so it was often hard to tell where the cars were going. But worst of all it was even so slightly out of time with the news headlines the Eurosport insisted on scrolling across the bottom of the screen! Incredibly distracting.

call_me_andrew
22nd March 2008, 21:47

Are you kidding? Fox does a terrible job. There's lots of hyperbolie with very little substance.

jjanicke
23rd March 2008, 00:49
Are you kidding? Fox does a terrible job. There's lots of hyperbolie with very little substance.

I'm not talking about the commentators, only the production.

maxu05
23rd March 2008, 05:01
Stop complaining, I have to listen to it in Chinese for ...... sake :laugh:

Valve Bounce
23rd March 2008, 05:30
Stop complaining, I have to listen to it in Chinese for ...... sake :laugh:

You have mail!!